[SOLVED]Trouble adding maps to FE8

Xenoks

The title says it all.
When I try to replace the prologue map in FE8 I get one of the following:
1. A pink screen of painful sounds
2. Black screen
3. Forced reset
So I need someone to help add the maps in for me, because I've tried everything I could.

Edited by Xenoks

what is "everything you could", exactly? you probably accidentally overwrote some important data

I used HxD to find empty offsets, used Free Space Finder to try and do the same, copied what my friend did EXACTLY (It worked for him/her?), tried both versions of nightmare, tried re-making the map. Still, nothing.

What address did you write it to? Was it 4-aligned (i.e. ending in 0, 4, 8, or C?)

As I said multiple times in another thread, I used the first possible one I could find, but I remember it ending in F.

so you think your computer is haunted by demons who somehow don't want you to insert this map (and therefore the solution is to ask someone else to do it)?

Don't post anything unless you're going to help.

You also need to start keeping track of where you put data. "Free space" is not an adequate description. There's no way we can know for sure whether you're inserting something into free space or not unless you tell us exactly where you put things. Cam is trying to help by pointing out the fact that getting someone else to do something for you will not solve your problem - rather, it will likely just stall the problem until you inevitably encounter it again and have to get someone else to do it for you... again.

You also need to start keeping track of where you put data. "Free space" is not an adequate description. There's no way we can know for sure whether you're inserting something into free space or not unless you tell us exactly where you put things. Cam is trying to help by pointing out the fact that getting someone else to do something for you will not solve your problem - rather, it will likely just stall the problem until you inevitably encounter it again and have to get someone else to do it for you... again.

But my friend was able to insert the map, and I copied all of her steps by the letter.

I'll try the 4-alligned address thing and see if it works.

I think I know now what my problem was.

I was adding it into an offset which had 00-0F filled with FF (?!). It's time to try the ones that have 00, maybe that'll work.

Nope, nothing.

I give up.

I'll just do everything else until someone can help add them.

16 bytes of free space is not nearly enough for a map. Have a look at B2A610, E47180, EFB2E0, etc. on a clean FE8 rom to see what free space looks like.

I used B2A610 a lot of times already, but I'll try the other ones.

Thanks C:

Start over with a fresh rom. Answer the following questions:

Did you insert the map with Tiled or MAR inserter?

Which offset did you insert to?

Did you write the map pointer, and if so, to which offset?

Do you have any map changes?

Which Nightmare Modules did you edit?

What edits did you make?

Nobody can help you unless you *give details*.

Start over with a fresh rom. Answer the following questions:

Did you insert the map with Tiled or MAR inserter?

Which offset did you insert to?

Did you write the map pointer, and if so, to which offset?

Do you have any map changes?

Which Nightmare Modules did you edit?

What edits did you make?

Nobody can help you unless you *give details*.

MAR inserter.

E47180

I didn't write the map pointer

I made a giant map if that's what you were wondering.

I edited the Event Data Pointer Table Editor

I only tried editing the map.

A few more questions, then:

Are you sure you are starting with an unmodified rom?

What tileset did you use for the map?

What exactly did you change in the Event Data Pointer Table Editor?

Yes, I'm starting with an unmodified ROM

I'm using the tile set I used while making the map, the plains one.

I changed the Prologue map pointer

If you're using the plains tileset, you will need to edit the Chapter Data Editor module. Change the Prologue's Object Type, Map Palette, and Tile Configuration from 1 to 4.

In the Event Data Pointer Table Editor, make sure the Prologue Map Pointer is 08E47180 (since you inserted the map to E47180).

Edited by circleseverywhere

If you're using the plains tileset, you will need to edit the Chapter Data Editor module. Change the Prologue's Object Type, Map Palette, and Tile Configuration from 1 to 4.

In the Event Data Pointer Table Editor, make sure the Prologue Map Pointer is 08E47180 (since you inserted the map to E47180).

Dear god...thank you!

post-18209-0-49910500-1441374624_thumb.png