Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT COMMIT SACRILEGE ON THE SACRED NAME THAT IS HALBERDIER!!!!

but srsly though, 90% of the units you got in the first part were halberdiers, and you had to rely on them to basically survive and win.

The chat shortly created the meme of halberdiers being the best unit in the game, with defeat being impossible with them on your side.

Edited by RandomSwordmaster

Yeah the intro part was seriously the least RNG-proofed thing ever without the Halberdiers, they really saved the first half of the submission.

The special forest tile was that one above the house that looked different from all the rest, it was just because Wolfram happened to make it like that but everyone thought there must be a secret there.

Right, so... I think I need to tackle something here. This is really me just spit balling, but I feel I should address how the chat acted during the stream.

I've been all around the internet, and something I've noticed is that when a streamer is having trouble with something they're playing, especially if it's made by an amateur, the chat tends to get really pissy and negative. I don't have any sure fire stats on this, but basically, I've just noticed the chat gets into this unreasonable angry mob mentality, and even if the creator defends themselves - even if they are right even - they get shit on by the chat.

And that's really fucked up. It's kind of fucked up that I had to step in and tell the chat to calm down too.

So uh... Next time I stream, I'm gonna keep a bigger eye on the chat (or have the mods do so). I don't enjoy putting creators in this position where loads of people are trashing their creation that they spent loads of time making out of love and affection, and making them feel bad for daring to dream, y'know?

I dunno. I'm bad at talking.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Well yea that's a thing. I don't mind bad comments because those are still comments. I mean yea sure you can laugh about something bad like Mari about my engrish, but so long as it's in certain borders. So yea that's that.
Also...

Also to give critic about someones work just for the sake of criticizing the person and not for the sake to help the person to do better is childish and dumb.

Edited by Lord Wolfram

Well yea that's a thing. I don't mind bad comments because those are still comments. I mean yea sure you can laugh about something bad like Mari about my engrish, but so long as it's in certain borders. So yea that's that.

Also...

A good advice, if you criticize someone about their work, BEFORE YOU DO SO MAKE SURE THAT YOU CAN DO BETTER AND PROVE IT!

Also to give critic about someones work just for the sake of criticizing the person and not for the sake to help the person to do better is childish and dumb.

@text in red Not everyone that can analyze/criticize a work can necessarily reproduce it though. An art critic isn't necessarily a masterful painter, but they are versed in color theory, composition, etc. I do think criticizing a work should be followed by constructive advice to show its validity, though.

Luckily this isn't the kind of thing i'm going to lose my shit over. People disliked the submission. I disliked several of the other submissions. It's a contest. In order to win a contest you gotta get creative and ambitious and sometimes it just doesn't work. Wolfram is proud of his submission and so am I regardless of what the end result ended up being when it got played. I really don't believe Angel of Darkness was the worst this contest had to offer. We had alot of fun watching the stream together and laughing.and I think that is what counts. We poured 9 months into it and it was not only fun but worth it.

We poured 9 months into it and it was not only fun but worth it.

Oh, yea that's the best thing about this submission, everyone who were involved into the development of this game couldn't wait for the legendary gameplay. They wanted to see the parts of it like Tom or Kirby.

Like Mari often died from laughter because of Ephidels death quote.

or as for me: Wolframs death quote.

Because that's the reality of the ragefest.

Even if Marc finished the submission, he did nothing in the end.

Ragefest is not ended or destroyed.

I am truly proud of the outcome because in the end Marc still happened to break part of the difficulty.

I applaud you Marc. You did great.

I don't think I felt insulting or anything like that, to be honest. Sorry if I did, really not wanted to do that on purpose. :(

I agree with what Avraxas said though.

Any criticism must be followed with constructive advice.

I don't think I felt insulting or anything like that, to be honest. Sorry if I did, really not wanted to do that on purpose. :(

I agree with what Avraxas said though.

Any criticism must be followed with constructive advice.

Actually I really liked you comments.

Nothing bad from you XD.

Oh, yea that's the best thing about this submission, everyone who were involved into the development of this game couldn't wait for the legendary gameplay. They wanted to see the parts of it like Tom or Kirby.

Like Mari often died from laughter because of Ephidels death quote.

or as for me: Wolframs death quote.

Because that's the reality of the ragefest.

Even if Marc finished the submission, he did nothing in the end.

Ragefest is not ended or destroyed.

I am truly proud of the outcome because in the end Marc still happened to break part of the difficulty.

I applaud you Marc. You did great.

"Legendary" gameplay. What did we say about having some modesty Wolfram? >_>

I did not witness the chat that day and I haven't watched the video yet. I think heavy criticism is justified, but you gotta explain yourself and defend your critique. Mindless bashing is nothing more than trolling. In other words, if you don't have something constructive to say, whether it's negative OR positive, don't say anything at all.

Actually I really liked you comments.

Nothing bad from you XD.

Wolfram-senpai liked my comments.

I am happy now. xD

Btw if you need me to beta-test once in a while, I can do this. I get bored pretty easily -but have the easy laugh-, so maybe this would help you to see how long it takes for Marky to get bored too. xD

Edited by Nintales

Luckily this isn't the kind of thing i'm going to lose my shit over. People disliked the submission. I disliked several of the other submissions. It's a contest. In order to win a contest you gotta get creative and ambitious and sometimes it just doesn't work. Wolfram is proud of his submission and so am I regardless of what the end result ended up being when it got played. I really don't believe Angel of Darkness was the worst this contest had to offer. We had alot of fun watching the stream together and laughing.and I think that is what counts. We poured 9 months into it and it was not only fun but worth it.

I actually thought this submission was so-so. It was hardly "bad." I honestly (take it with a grain of salt) don't think it'll win, and it's not great, but it's not super bad. Most of the map's problems come from a huge map that doesn't have enough events or interesting reinforcement arrivals to make it work well with its size. I wasn't expect something super lame like ambush spawns to ruin Marc's run, but there were things like the warriors popping up for instance, and while it made for a hilarious segment with Marc spamming with Kirby, this overall didn't make up for the lackluster events leading up to that.

As Marc pointed out, the enemy offense was too high in comparison to the ally units. This made for a rather sluggish trudge towards the inside of the caste with endless turns of Marc ending the phase and letting the enemies run towards him. And it absolutely didn't help that most of the enemies early on had 1-2 range, and quite a few of Marc's didn't ensuring that enemies could attack Marc without retaliation which results in them being even slower to kill. This is ultimately what made it not as fun as it could have been. The castle part really didn't have enough events and pressure to really make for anything interesting after Marc started healing Jeff to keep Ephidel from attacking Orange-- who might have actually been able to defeat Ephidel without any outside help as well.

The humor was goofy and kind of fun in that regard, and it's pretty much what I've come to expect from ragefest.

I think people are being a bit too hard on it, as it's leagues above what we saw from earlier ragefest in the series. It's a long distance from things like "Boss Rushes" and the like. Not that boss rushes are bad, but there's considerably more noticeable effort put into this than that.

I think people might be having progressively higher standards because of the general increase of entries and quality from most of the hacks, but people need to remember that not everyone has / had as much experience hacking or even simply designing Fire Emblem maps. I mean Ephraim225 is the best example of this: with each entry they've become progressively more focused and refined. Ephraim's first entry is absolutely miserable in comparison to his other ones.

Enemy offense, and defense. Yeti has some slightly inflated defensive stats in place, but he gives the player much better offensive capabilities to compensate--by contrast, it takes several promoted units to deal with a single Soldier in the beginning.

The physic thing to keep Jeff alive, I wonder if that was intentional. I never even thought of that while playtesting, since it wasn't too hard to rush and aggro Ephidel before he got too close. Once you do that, though, there is a definite lack of momentum.

But yeah, this was Wolfram's first game, and it's my understanding he couldn't even play it himself for much of development because he had an older computer. I do think it would be interesting to compare it to the first version he tried to submit--maybe I'll make a video showing that sometime. The difference in quality shows that, if he submits in RFV for example, things should be much more polished.

Honestly the soldiers were the only thing that stuck out to me as having obnoxious defense, and it was almost to the point of being funny.

The soldiers gave birth to the halberdier meme. Who needs soldiers when you have halberdiers!? HALBERDIERS SOLVE EVERYTHING!

im having the problem of not being able to find/watch the video on the stream, so i think i missed out on the video entirely... which makes me slightly sad since i can no longer see what everyone was talking about for the submission.

im having the problem of not being able to find/watch the video on the stream, so i think i missed out on the video entirely... which makes me slightly sad since i can no longer see what everyone was talking about for the submission.

Not gonna lie, you didn't miss much.