Rate the Unit, Day 5: Rhys

PKL

9/10

Healers are invaluable regardless of the game, Rhys is your only healer until chapter 9, and Mist is so weak at healing for a while. Until she promotes he's unquestionably better than her, even afterwards, only tier players adore Mist and even THEN Rhys is far from useless or awful. Awesome healing range, powerful heals, essential role, I would honestly rank him higher than Titania since, even though she is powerful, the team can survive without her easily enough. Rhys, on the other hand, if the team isn't abusing Titania, makes it a lot harder to function without him.

Lies! I love her.

Anyway, once I had Rhys cap speed around 20/10, possibly lower, which he reached rather early to loads of physic spam; his def and strength weren't bad either, above average on bot. It was awesome. But this isn't the time for PE. Anyway, as said, he's got serious durability issues and his combat is rather mediocre. Healing is always nice, but he's rather easily replaced by people with better durability, combat, or both, and while bexp helps him keep up if you actually want to use him, it also helps him become unnecessary even more quickly.

6 sound fair.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9/10

Healers are invaluable regardless of the game, Rhys is your only healer until chapter 9, and Mist is so weak at healing for a while. Until she promotes he's unquestionably better than her, even afterwards, only tier players adore Mist and even THEN Rhys is far from useless or awful. Awesome healing range, powerful heals, essential role, I would honestly rank him higher than Titania since, even though she is powerful, the team can survive without her easily enough. Rhys, on the other hand, if the team isn't abusing Titania, makes it a lot harder to function without him.

Bold: What a bold faced lie.

Regardless, Rhys's problem is that he's easily replaceable once other magical units start promoting (though he still has staff rank over them).

Edited by Metal King Slime

9/10. Healers are invaluable regardless of the game, Rhys is your only healer until chapter 9, and Mist is so weak at healing for a while. Until she promotes he's unquestionably better than her, even afterwards, only tier players adore Mist and even THEN Rhys is far from useless or awful. Awesome healing range, powerful heals, essential role, I would honestly rank him higher than Titania since, even though she is powerful, the team can survive without her easily enough. Rhys, on the other hand, if the team isn't abusing Titania, makes it a lot harder to function without him.
Oh God...not sure if serious or trolling, but im not counting this. It was reasonable until you brought up rhys being better than titania...ive gone through the game without rhys in practically all my playthroughs. While i cant imagine myself getting through the first 9 chapters without titania.

Oh God...not sure if serious or trolling, but im not counting this. It was reasonable until you brought up rhys being better than titania...ive gone through the game without rhys in practically all my playthroughs. While i cant imagine myself getting through the first 9 chapters without titania.

I think his point is that without tits, Rhys is a lot more pertinent to success.

I think his point is that without tits, Rhys is a lot more pertinent to success.
Sure, without tits, rhys might be better. But tits still exists so rhys is not needed. Edited by General Haarace

Oh Rhys. The first healer in the game. Too bad you have a bad speed growth. Not seeing you double for like ever. Yeah sure light magic is great, but he doesnt have the Strength to wield it without weighing him down. His speed and AS suffers more. Overkill Mag and Res for staves first part of the game is cool, props for that. So, all in all, never put in him range of enemies, mellow.gif...

Anyways, +Heal, +Existant MAG growth, -Speed, -getting one shotted in later chapters.

Overall: 3.5/10

TBH, I don't quite get why people talk about healing not being useful in PoR... It just sounds like this sweeping generalization IMO.

7/10 - great healer with that base Magic of 8, but Mist and Soren and any other mage you promote will eventually overshadow him. His speed isn't high enough for his offense to be great, even if he can use every Light tome on promotion. Still, he makes for a good staffbot for any chapter you bring him into.

TBH, I don't quite get why people talk about healing not being useful in PoR... It just sounds like this sweeping generalization IMO.

It's because PoR is so hilariously easy. My first three runthroughs of the game, I never used him or Mist.

Anyho, Rhys. Like I just said, staff utility has never been worth less. High mag is good, but 0 DEF with 25% (or 20%, either way, it's the same as Boyd and Largo, oddly) is not. Coupled with the fact that he isn't especially quick and has terrible STR (0 base again) means his offense after promotion is gonna be pretty sad. 6/10, he's useful, but superfluous.

That's because it isn't so useful.

Things that make PoR easier, from biggest effect to smallest:

1. Titania

2. Earth Supports

3. Staffing

Basically all you use it for is some random healing and curing statuses.

itt snowy waxes his severe case of butthurt over the debating crowd "loving" Mist

Anyway, 5/10 from me; he's a good healer early on, but becomes a liability later what with his frailty and inability to keep up.

Maybe others will disagree with me, but I think Mist has an even worse start than Rhys. Sure, she promotes to gain a horse and all, but she starts at level one and cannot take a single hit in her joining map. She doesn't even heal a lot of HP. Once you clear that map with her in it, the fastest way to make her usable is to pump BEXP into her ... at a point when there are other characters who want or need that BEXP more. Plus, it wouldn't be a good idea to pump ... I don't know, a ton of experience into her in one sitting, right? Her combat after promotion will be a joke either way, since she uses swords and has base 1 strength with 35% growth. To be honest, if it weren't for the fact that I need her for the Black Knight fight, I'd never raise Mist and just stick to Rhys because he comes first, has a better staff rank, and magic base. I'd probably rate Mist and Rhys the same.

But I'll stop talking about Mist in Rhys' thread.

Mist's horse is the reason you pump resources into her. A healer isn't necessary, and one that has a lot of movement and has the flexibility to get out of the fray when needed is better than one that has pitiful movement.

I'd rather train Tormod and give him staves instead of pumping resources into Mist just to get her a horse and crappy combat. Tormod has celerity and can hit harder than Mist. Plus, he takes BEXP at a time when your other units don't need it nearly as much. If healers are really "not that necessary," then I'd rather take Rhys who would be higher leveled at this point, dump him as soon as Tormod promotes, and be done with it. I only raise Mist because of the BK fight. But, as I mentioned, this isn't the right topic to be arguing about Mist.

To try to keep this on-topic, I gave Rhys a 6 because I feel his staffing is worth at least a 5. His staff lead over other staffers and greater magic base I feel is worth another point while I took off points for durability and combat fail.

Well bringing Tormod up isn't like Mist, because Tormod doesn't have Canto and Tormod's main clame-to-fame is the offense he can build up with his 8 move; relatively, it's +2 move/turn with a siege tome and it's handy, as well as being between mounted and foot units. Weapon ranks rise too slowly for Tormod to be effective with a staff, so having someone with C (Physic!) upon promotion is preferred, especially if that person has a horse.

It's the right thread to be arguing about Mist, because Mist is a part of the reason why Rhys is so bad; another part being that Rhys really sucks.

I'm pretty sure that arguing about Mist in Rhys' topic is borderline close to "not X" arguments. Also, PoR actually has less status staves than, say, FE7 or FE8 (or FE6 from what I've heard). From what I remember, only endgame and the chapter where you storm Daein castle have any significant status staff users. Poison isn't as much of a problem as falling asleep or being silenced, and as long as the poisoned character doesn't fall to 3 HP or less you can just leave them poisoned and heal off the lost HP. My point being that in PoR, anyone with a heal staff and enough magic should make a "good enough healer".

My point in bringing up Tormod was that if we really want a high-move staff user, just get him to promotion and give him a staff. Sure, Mist can canto out of the way after she promotes without taking up an item to do it. I concede that. But is it really THAT much important in itself? You get a ton of physic staves in this game. On average, Rhys will have better magic range so he will reach further than Mist with those staves. Her high move and his longer range somewhat cancel each other out to me. (Not completely, but enough to lessen the gap.) Mist doesn't even start off mounted and at a higher level than Rhys, unlike most other second-joining healers. If it weren't for the fact that she is semi-forced in the Black Knight fight, I'd consider her to be a liability.

But seriously ... both you and I gave Rhys our ratings. It's not Mist's turn yet. If we're going to continue this, we should do it over PM.

I'm pretty sure that arguing about Mist in Rhys' topic is borderline close to "not X" arguments. Also, PoR actually has less status staves than, say, FE7 or FE8 (or FE6 from what I've heard). From what I remember, only endgame and the chapter where you storm Daein castle have any significant status staff users. Poison isn't as much of a problem as falling asleep or being silenced, and as long as the poisoned character doesn't fall to 3 HP or less you can just leave them poisoned and heal off the lost HP. My point being that in PoR, anyone with a heal staff and enough magic should make a "good enough healer".

My point in bringing up Tormod was that if we really want a high-move staff user, just get him to promotion and give him a staff. Sure, Mist can canto out of the way after she promotes without taking up an item to do it. I concede that. But is it really THAT much important in itself? You get a ton of physic staves in this game. On average, Rhys will have better magic range so he will reach further than Mist with those staves. Her high move and his longer range somewhat cancel each other out to me. (Not completely, but enough to lessen the gap.) Mist doesn't even start off mounted and at a higher level than Rhys, unlike most other second-joining healers. If it weren't for the fact that she is semi-forced in the Black Knight fight, I'd consider her to be a liability.

But seriously ... both you and I gave Rhys our ratings. It's not Mist's turn yet. If we're going to continue this, we should do it over PM.

I don't really want to get involved with this, but personally, I'd say Tormod has the same problem as Mist does in terms of joining, to some extent. And at least 80% of the physic staves that you get have to be stolen... would it really be worth leaving an enemy healer alive to annoy you long enough until you can yoink his staff?? Personally, I think not. That said, I'd arguably think training Tormod's more trouble than it's worth too...

I don't disagree that Tormod has problems in his join time too. He starts off massively underleveled and unimpressive. The thing is that he takes BEXP at a time when you can spare a lot of it, because Marcia and Jill and Kieran and Oscar and all those other units you're using should be solid enough to not need it. Same with whomever you've been training. So if you want to use Tormod, you can spare quite a bit of BEXP. Mist, on the other hand, shows up in the same chapter as Marcia, a few before Jill, right before Kieran, and so on. Mist needs BEXP at a time when quite a bit of other units need it.

Also, what's wrong with stealable physic staves? Sure, you have to steal them, but you CAN steal them. I always steal as many physic staves as I can, and I find that I have more than I can get rid of by endgame. Even if you only steal one or two of those, are you REALLY going to burn through all of them?

I don't disagree that Tormod has problems in his join time too. He starts off massively underleveled and unimpressive. The thing is that he takes BEXP at a time when you can spare a lot of it, because Marcia and Jill and Kieran and Oscar and all those other units you're using should be solid enough to not need it. Same with whomever you've been training. So if you want to use Tormod, you can spare quite a bit of BEXP. Mist, on the other hand, shows up in the same chapter as Marcia, a few before Jill, right before Kieran, and so on. Mist needs BEXP at a time when quite a bit of other units need it.

Also, what's wrong with stealable physic staves? Sure, you have to steal them, but you CAN steal them. I always steal as many physic staves as I can, and I find that I have more than I can get rid of by endgame. Even if you only steal one or two of those, are you REALLY going to burn through all of them?

That isn't quite it. Tormod desperately NEEDS a master seal to function, else it's a painstaking trip to level 20 (and as I see it, it's even worse since he comes along at a point in time where your party should be close to promoting, if not promoted already). And on BEXP: Personally, I consider the stealth BEXP and the BEXP from the chapter right before you recruit Tormod to be more trouble than it's worth, but that's irrelevant.

As for physic staves being stealable, the thing is, the number of physic staves you can get without having to resort to stealing can be counted on one hand (and one of THOSE isn't until the end of the game).

That isn't quite it. Tormod desperately NEEDS a master seal to function, else it's a painstaking trip to level 20 (and as I see it, it's even worse since he comes along at a point in time where your party should be close to promoting, if not promoted already). And on BEXP: Personally, I consider the stealth BEXP and the BEXP from the chapter right before you recruit Tormod to be more trouble than it's worth, but that's irrelevant.
Given that there is a lot of BEXP in this game and stealth BEXP is relatively easy to get given there are a million guides out there to get it- this is not quite right. Even without Steath BEXP there is no shortage of BEXP. I also used a team of ~12 and managed to get Tormod to a good level in time for when he needs to start Sieging.