Which characters did you like and why?

BANRYU

So... I know there's the 'which character did you dislike' thread, but I noticed there doesn't seem to be a particularly recent one about which ones you DO like. So, in the interest of reversing the negativity of that other thread, let's use this topic to discuss who our favorite characters are, and why!

Personally, I find pratically everyone that you can recruit pretty likable in their own ways.

I'll talk about my own top favorites more later, as I've a lot to say and little time for it at the moment.

(Take a wild guess who my favorite is lol)

TO BE CLEAR: This is NOT a thread to discuss characters you don't like; there's already one for that.

As of 3/20/14 this thread follows the principle of 'if you don't have anything nice to say, then clap your freakin' lid.'

Edited by BANRYU

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... I know there's the 'which character did you dislike' thread, but I noticed there doesn't seem to be a particularly recent one about which ones you DO like. So, in the interest of reversing the negativity of that other thread, let's use this topic to discuss who our favorite characters are, and why!

Personally, I find pratically everyone that you can recruit pretty likable in their own ways.

I'll talk about my own top favorites more later, as I've a lot to say and little time for it at the moment.

(Take a wild guess who my favorite is lol)

Thank you. I really dislike the negativity that seems to be perpetually haunting this board.

Same here, I have a few top favorites, but I can find something to like out of every recruitable person, some more than others. So yeah, you could say I like them all.

Oh, I dunno, maybe Tiki? She's one of my favorites too! ^_^

Characterwise:

Lucina (great personality, my favourite female lord in FE)

Gaius (likes sweets, funny patters)

Owain (funny, talks like Darkwing Duck)

Statwise:

Morgan (f) (best unit, because great base stats like every child + veteran skill)

Edited by MisterIceTeaPeach

First off, Sully, for her multi-faceted and surprisingly human personality, especially compared to other characters who filled her sort of archetype, like Cecille from FE3/FE12. Plus, waifu bias. I liked Virion a lot because of his depth, and I could actually really understand his motivations. I like Yarne's design and personality, but I can understand why people dislike him. Aversa and Gangrel are good characters, showing remorse and repenting for their actions, and I wish they got fleshed out more with additional supports. I really like Vaike, and his "cocky, optimistic, cheerful brawler" kind of character style has influenced my writing. Laurent is so realistic that it hurts, and I love him for it. Brady is one of my favorites, I like his design, personality, backstory, everything. I just wish that they'd played up a heavier Brooklyn or New Jersey accent for his voice clips, it would have been great. I like Donnel for his character design and personality (I'm actually considering cosplaying him sometime), and there's something about his backstory of never really wanting to fight, but rather feeling like he needs to join the Shepherds in order to protect his home that gets me.

Sully - despite Awakening's poorly-written supports issues affecting her as well (there could be a couple less supports about training but it's not her fault at least, hnng writers), her character type is the most relatable to me.

Panne - I like bunnies.

Lucina - Solid female lead, also wrecks shit hard.

Flavia - The only female character to have a (slight) break from the cookie-cutter standard body type. Also takes no shits.

Basilio - Nick Fury

Libra - Thor Hair

Even though it takes a lot more than what Awakening can put out to put a womaniser into my favourites, I do think Virion is the most well-written. So props for that.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I like most of the cast in this game, even if it doesn't have my favorite support system (that honor goes to PoR :3), but I do have a few top favorites! The first one should be obvious.

Frederick :wub:

My favorite in the game by far and I love him to pieces. He's amazing, wonderful, and badass! And freaking hot. :D I think he's one of the more well-done Jagens in the series, he was given so much more personality than the others as far as I could tell. He's hardly one-dimensional either, with how many sides we see of him! Frederick is typically serious and actually pretends not to fear anything. He's even a bit cold sometimes. And his butler tendencies are hilarious. lol But through his supports, we discover that deep down, he's really a big softie and there actually are things that he's really afraid of. And we see how much of a sweetheart he really is and what a drama llama he can be. lol I mean, this guy loves hugs and crying tears of joy! Also, he resembles my ideal husband, which is a reason my Avatar married him. He doesn't act all weird and goofy about his feelings (unlike a certain lord in this game), he remains a gentleman and calm and collected. And he freaking kneels and kisses Avatar's hand! You never see that. I'm so old school, I know. XD

As for his badassness, five words. PICK A GOD AND PRAY. :D

Second: Inigo! I love him to pieces too, cause he's just like another FE womanizer I'm really fond of! Sain from FE7. <3 They're examples of really well done womanizers because there is really a lot more to their ambitions than just getting some attention from cute women. Inigo loves because he doesn't want to hurt anyone. And he wants to get over his shyness. He's really a more serious person than he let's on, and it's the same with Sain.

I also really like Donny! He's so adorkable, and I'm usually fond of the southern accent bearing boy character. lol He's always so cute in his supports, especially the one with Lissa! And despite that he's still technically a kid, he really wants to become a great warrior and he doesn't seem to be afraid at all. I really like that.

Lon'qu is a fav too, cause he's just freaking badass. He also reminds me of an OC belonging to a friend of mine. Oh yeah, this guy's deep voice is sexy too. :D

I can't forget Virion, another one of those well-written womanizers. He's a lot smarter than he let's on, and this is shown well in his support with the Avatar. Also, FRENCH ACCENT! :D

Gaius is adorkable. That love for sweets is hilarious and I like that for once, we have a really noble thief character. Gaius went and saved the lives of two people that he never even met, just because he's a good guy like that.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot Cordelia. She's a lot like me and I can relate to her. Except there's one big difference. She can handle hardships in her life a lot better than I can. She remains so strong despite her heartbreak over Chrom. I really wish I could be more like that. She's also pretty, I admire her hard-working attitude, and she's a really good unit too.

Edited by Anacybele

Like BANRYU and Silver Lightning, I like something about nearly every recruitable characters. I'll also have to come here later to state my tops and why, because I still need time to think about who I like the most and why... and I don't have the time for that right now.

I liked Virion because he turned out to be a nicely multi-faceted character.

Stahl is an absolute sweetie and I like that's he's willing to learn new things to better himself without going all "I must be the VERY BEST" about it.

I loved Sully and genuinely related to her.

I really loved Lucina's depth and resolve and was sorry she didn't get more screentime.

Owain & Inigo turned out to be really endearing.

Gaius has a sharp and engaging personality beneath all the candy jokes.

Basilio and Flavia were cool and I wish more had been done with them and with Ferox.

And Russian!Gregor was just plain enjoyable.

I'm probably the only one who has Chrom as one of their favourites. Sure he has the generic "Gotta protect my family, friends, country and never give up on my ideals" but that's fitting for his purpose in the story. Plus I think he's cute :3 -- with the flowing white cape and dashing blue locks. I thought he was so adorable confessing his love to the avatar, him and his dramatic deep breaths. Although the events leading up to the confession were a bit of a stretch >.>

Lucina is pretty cool too. Despite what has happened in her life she keeps going. If I were her I would have hid under a rock.

Owain is hilarious.

Donnel has a likeable personality and he's a great unit.

Lon'qu is a pretty good unit too and his voice is sexy.

Gaius wasn't my fav at first but his obsession with sugar and nicknaming habit won me over.

Henry has funny support convos.

I like everyone except for Walmart and Morgan-F.

I'll just list my current Top 5 favorites, or I'll be here all day. My faves include:

1) LICHT. Or Ricken, his English name. I recently reread his S-support in-game, and I was just attacked by the cute. I find his childishness endearing, how he thinks he's trying so hard to be an adult when he's still quite immature. His desire to restore his family's name is also quite a nice touch and marrying the tactician is the only way to restore it, it's canon. I especially like how he develops in his support with Henry, where he's introduced to humanizing the enemy and realizing they're just like the heroes, only on the opposite side.

2) Lucina. She's a beautiful and well-written character to me. I really need a link to Viewtiful Joe's analysis of her personality and design, because he was spot on. Everything he said, is why I just adore Lucina.

3) Henry. I especially love how much depth he has in his supports. Even in the horribly manipulative Olivia/Henry support; Henry cares a lot more than he lets on, and he's probably aware of how crazy he is. What I really like about him, though, is how strong he is to still be so happy and cheerful despite how bad his life was. I hate the interpretation that he's faking his happiness, because I think it takes away a lot of Henry's strength. It says a lot about a person that they can turn so happy with their lot in life, even if they're a little crazy. He has moments where he's genuinely sad, but that doesn't mean he's a Stepford Smiler.

4) Morgan-M. I think he's a LOT better than his stupid bratty female counterpart. He's a lot nicer, a bit of a goofy dork, not as spoiled and selfish, and just overall cuter. Compared to Morgan-F, who ruins manuscripts and tortures timid rabbits just because she's bored.

5) Sumia. I see a lot of myself in her, and I've truly warmed up to her. She's sweet and kind, honestly tries her best, endearing, and she's very cute. I like how she works to overcome her clumsiness, and her ditziness is pretty funny.

I liked Henry, Lucina and Owain most, the first for being surprisingly well written by Awakening standard, the second for being only of the three FE13 lords who isn't either a Mary Sue or a major idiot, and the third because LOL HE SAID FE7'S TITLE! OH LOOK ZELDA REFERENCE! Etc....

Severa-Tsundere

Gaius-Motherfucking candy man.

Stahl-Incredibly good father (statwise).

Brady-Best class set, hands down.

Cynthia-is adorable.

Laurent-Best nerd.

Stahl- normal person among weirdos. He's a bro. Good unit too. And fathers a really nice maingame Severa.

Cordelia- her design is pretty cool. Great unit. I also like her character.

Cherche- her lines are gold. Funny, not overdone. She's full of class and reeks of badass. And I really like how different she is from past female Wyverns.

Lucina- like her outfit and how determined she is at stopping the future. Would unquestionably be my favorite FE13 character if she really put a stop to Mary Sue Avatar.

Tiki- she's Tiki.

Heh, glad you guys are enjoying the thread.

Even though I like everybody, I'll probably take some time to talk about just about everyone. x3 But...! I suppose I'll start with my top five (from the parent generation, at least)!

5) Henry - TBH this is mainly because my GF is so enamored with the boy, and it rubbed off on me quite a bit, heh. His cheery demeanor combined with his bloodlust is morbidly hilarious, and on top of that, he has a highly sympathetic and tragic backstory to boot. It's so hard not to love this boy.

4) Gregor - Goddamn, this mofo is just so likeable. I looked at his official art of him doin' the ole hearty muscleman laugh and was like, 'Oh I'm gonna like this guy'. And you know what? He didn't disappoint. His Russian accent makes no sense but I don't care because of how fun his dialogue is, and underneath his goofy and seemingly-greedy exterior he's actually a super kind, careworn, surprisingly wise guy. THIS is how you write someone who seems outwardly greedy (Anna, I'm looking at you. Okay no more negativity sry sry).

3) Cherche / Minerva - Not only is Cherche a totally classy lady, polite and kind at all the right times, she's also a complete badass who doesn't take shit from anybody, like a more refined, effeminate version of Sully (though I sort of feel bad to compare the two, very different as they are). I love the fact that she can see the beauty in almost any creature, since she finds ferocious creatures utterly adorable-- something about that is just so endearing. SPEAKING of which, Minerva shares this slot for being the most (/ only) developed animal character, which I like that they did. Animals, while not self-aware and such, totally have a degree of sentience that not a lot of people realize, and I love that Minerva has that too.

2) Tharja - The controversial one, eh ~3~ Honestly I totally get why most people don't like Tharja-- and yet, I don't. She's no different from many other people in that her outward personality and the player's first impressions of her speak little to her underlying personality. It's funny because, despite her stalker tendencies and outwardly being a habitual user of others, she's really not crazy and actually not that mean in reality-- if anything, her supports with Nowi show that she's the biggest goshdarn closet sweetheart on the planet. Despite acting as mean as possible to most people and pretending like she doesn't care what people think, you can see that it's more just a shell she puts around herself to maintain her reputation or to keep herself from getting hurt or whatever; her supports with the avatar show that she's actually pretty sensitive when it comes to bothering people she actually DOES like. Now, I know the main thing a lot of people hate about her is how she uses Noire as a guinea pig for hexes and such, and to be honest, I don't think I can really defend her for that-- I do think that she loves her daughter, though, in her own twisted way. (And let's be honest-- it's not as though being from a future where everything has gone to shit couldn't have had ANY bearing on Noire developing a split personality-- I think it's just a possibility, anyway, but maybe I'm being biased). I just think a lot of people ignore Tharja's good qualities, you know? She's really not that bad.

1) Tiki - My waifu ~3~ So yeah. Even though Tiki gets very little development in this game, I feel like the concept of what she is alone makes her incredibly deep. The notion of immortality being a curse by means of having to watch anyone/everyone you ever love leave or die isn't a particularly original one, I know, but I found its presentation quite touching with her all the same. The fact that she allows herself to befriend people despite knowing she's going to lose them and having experienced that pain before speaks to how strong she is, and the fact that she can both enjoy herself with and learn things from those infinitely her junior speaks to her wisdom as well. Her S-support with MU quite predictably went with a very Arwen-syndrome approach, yet even though I was fully expecting it, I still couldn't help get a bit misty-eyed at it all the same.

Also, being a freakin' dragon-lady with thousands of years of combat experience making her a complete badass doesn't hurt.

Actually now that I think about it I don't think she actually has that much experience fighting does she? *shrug* Either way... being a very old dragon makes her crazy-strong by default

Also, her theme song is really serene and nice and it makes me smile.

Also, I really like the voicework they did for her.

Edited by BANRYU

Among the kids, I like both Laurent and Yarne better than their moms. Miriel and Panne weren't bad or anything, but their sons felt more layered and interesting than the pretty tropey character archetypes that the moms were.

Here is my list of characters I like:

Look if you don't like any of the characters then just go talk about it on the thread that is already about what characters you dislike, don't bother posting here.

Anyway, I personally like Anna, I like her supports with Male!avatar and her conversations with Tiki are pretty amusing. What is with Manaketes and eating people by the way?

Anyway, I personally like Anna, I like her supports with Male!avatar and her conversations with Tiki are pretty amusing. What is with Manaketes and eating people by the way?

Anna's supports with Morgan are some of my favorite parent-child supports in the game.

Morgan: Mother! That's amazing! I was just thinking about you! Is this fate?! This is totally fate! Family-style fate! ...Wait, no. How did Father put it? "We're not pawns of some scripted fate. It's the invisible ties we forge that bind us." So yeah, it's not fate. It's the whole invisible bond-link...thing!

Anna: Mm, I do like bonds. And stocks!

Virion. Hes amazing and hilarious despite the accent. Plus hes got layers man! Thats awesome! I love his design too. /husbando bias

Cherche. Shes snarky and probably the best lookin' chick in the game. I love her personality and relationship with Minerva. /waifu bias

HENRY. Oh gods, i love Henry. He splits my sides...Plus hes like, pretty tanky and i have a thing for ravens too. He knows...

Sully. Shes fun and i can relate. Shes a little too balanced stat-wise, so she often doesnt get long term use on my runs but i do like her.

Panne. Shes a wrecking ball. And a bun

Libra. Libra so much. Yes. Hes gr9 and i just love everything about Libra.

Cynthia. She makes me smile. She just does.

Owain. see above.

Lucina. A solid character that should have been in a better written plot.

Maribelle. Shes sassy and really actually for equality despite everything.

Nah. Shes snarky and no-nonsense but also quite vulnerable. I dig. Plus, wrecking ball.

Female Morgs is just amazing.

Gerome. /waifu's son bias

Miriel. She looks like me. I like her attitude and design.

Miriel's way of speaking is really awkward sometimes, but her excessively scientific approach to everything actually occasionally makes for some legitimately fascinating observations, considering the medieval level of technology in this very modern era (but that's another topic).

Favorites?

• All of the Second Gen, except Gerome and Inigo. Lucina, in particular, I could probably write an essay on why she's awesome, but I could also differ you to a link in my sig. But yeah, I like all of them, even Kjelle and her super-feminist ways.
  • Chrom. Anyone who pulls a Lloyd Irving, even if they don't go all the way, gets major props.
  • Virion. That man's got some serious class, man.
  • Walhart. I don't know why I like him so much to be honest, but then again, he did have a damn good plan to end Grima. [And it would've worked too, if it weren't for those meddling player characters!]
  • Priam. To be fair, I don't like him for who his, because his characterization is nil [because he's likely a sequel hook], but what he is, what he implies.
  • Ricken. Perhaps it's just the second coming of Azel that makes me like him. But I do.
  • American!Henry. I enjoy this nutjob. [i don't like Japanese!Henry, because the difference is mostly centered on the Henry/Olivia support. I don't like the Japanese!Henry/Olivia support. Her getting cursed and his being genuine is genuine. The lies and pointless sobstory to the Jap version really irritates the hell out of me. Glad he was changed.]

I don't want to say Robin, but I do in a way, partially for the gambits, but notably Chapter 14. Oh my gods, someone using a proper military tactic in Fire Emblem!? Someone using a proper tactic and it NOT biting them in the ass?! HOLY DAMN! But if I did say Robin, I would have to specify Male Robin, because Female Robin... no, just no at many of her supports.

Henry is absolutely delightful. Just... just a peach, that boy. Love his VA.

I'm always a little surprised to hear how few people seem to like Kjelle (and Sully, for that matter) ; I for one enjoy what a badass Kjelle is-- or tries to be, at least. I haven't seen a ton of her character, but I like what I have seen, and how she's willing to learn despite some stubbornness and her immense tough front in her supports with maMU. Sully as well is super tough in a really simple, likable way.

Speaking of Cavaliers Stahl reminds me of myself a lot. Outwardly he seems bland, but there's surprisingly a lot to him that makes him really... well, not. He's a pretty ordinary nice guy, but the writers go to decent lengths to keep him interesting as well.

Actually though the one I find myself most interested in of late is Libra, and I'm not completely sure why.

Edited by BANRYU