Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 22: The Hunt

Phoenix

Upon hearing the words Athena spoke to Arrin, Alferis shook, his eyes narrowing, realizing now words would not solve this.

"You...killed this kid's teacher? And now...you plan on murdering a child?" he spoke, his voice shaking with rage. "And you call yourself servants of the Goddess? You're not servants of the goddess, you're monsters. You murderers."

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luc Altair

"Drawn? Yes, we have seen that," Luc responded. "And what can be drawn can be baited and trapped. The destruction of the weapons now would only serve to scatter the demons, to drive them and their mockery of human form into hiding. As of now we force them into confrontation, to combat." Luc kept himself quiet afterwords as Alferis response to the woman's words of having killed Arrin's old teacher.

"How do you even know we have these red weapon thingies?" asked Esphyr, keeping a wary eye on the soldiers in front of her as she asked her question. "I mean, do you have some sort of spell or something to detect them? Or are you just stopping groups at random and killing any children that look at you funny and claiming that they may have had one? I don't know much about the way of the staff, but I'm pretty sure that both Reform and Lunarism and whatever else frowns on their paladins doing that sort of thing. We're just mercs and bodyguards. Our weapons are steel grey, not red."

It was a faux defense. Esphyr didn't have the faintest hope that it would work. What she wanted to find out, however, was how they knew that THIS group had the weapons or if there was some way for them to find out which of them had them. That would be worth knowing indeed.

Party

Irina quickly handed Niket to Lev who kept the hatchling in his lower lap rather than upper mid section so he wouldn't be able to pester him. Irina quickly managed to get on some of her armor but left the shoulder plates in the saddlebags fearing she wouldn't have the time to don them before the sour negotiations became a battle.

Irina: (You know we wouldn't seem so death worthy if the hostile people never said a word.)

Altenau

The door quickly gave way and a few of the undead came into the room, one of them crawling across the floor, the other two trampling him to reach Joe. Behind them were even more starting to come in.

Outside, the man with the bow had not gone unnoticed. Out from the alleyways on both sides of the streets, several more dogs appeared. Some were former house pets. Others were hunting dogs. All of them were fast on their feet though and began charging at the man from both sides!

As Sadie ran several dozen crystalized spikes shot up out of the ground completely blocking her path. Back at the gates a lone cavalier emerged with a javelin and came speeding toward her ready to finish her off. He soon stopped however and lowered his weapon grunting a bit. A moment later the spikes disappeared back into the ground leaving her an escape route out. The cavalier thoughtlessly turned around and rode back into town leaving her alone on the road.

"Like hell you're going to kill them," Kelas snarled. Got to get them out of here... they don't know Arrin's in the carriage, so he can't escape without breaking cover... the others are all sitting ducks... they won't attack me, or the others, but they'll probably attack me if I help anyone escape... if I go near the carriage, I'll give Arrin away... Well, she could solve one problem immediately: she leaned over and grabbed Francis' reins. "Sorry-- just hold on--" she hissed to Isotov, then slapped Francis on the hindquarters. The gelding bolted before anyone could protest. She didn't have time to watch if he got away safely, though... As she turned around, ready to face whoever was first to attack her, she realized that the leader was addressing Arrin now. She recognizes him?!

"You killed--" Arrin began, face blank with shock. "You--" He wasn't sure what he was doing, he was getting out of the carriage, he had Daranau in his hand. Sparks crackled up and down the spine of the book, the usual static amplified by Arrin's inner turmoil. "Why would you--" he choked, blinking, trying to keep his vision clear of tears. He hadn't thought of revenge when he'd been searching before, but now it just seemed to make so much sense-- he started to stride forward--

--and was scooped up by Kelas, who had kneed Amari forward and leaned over to catch him. She pulled him up into the saddle in front of her (it would be easier to shield him that way, she hoped) and turned, ready to flee. "You can't take all of them like this, are you crazy?" she hissed.

"Sure I can!" Arrin shot back, shoving himself down from the saddle and landing in a heap before Kelas could get Amari away. He picked himself up, not bothering to check for injuries, and started toward Althea again, limping slightly on a twisted ankle. "Why would you?" he demanded. "She was just a-- a researcher! She was trying to fix some of this mess! She didn't even have a weapon! Why did you kill her?!"

Stunned, Kelas turned around and drew up behind Arrin. As Arrin had fallen, she'd noticed that there was something just slightly... wrong about his eyes. She wasn't sure what would happen if she tried to pick him up again-- for all she knew, he might shock her-- but she could at least provide cover in case one of the cavaliers attacked.

"What?" Sadie said, as the spikes disappeared and the skeleton cavalier suddenly ignored her.

"Joe....I'll come back for you. I'll get aid for this town. I promise. Just please stay alive and escape," she said softly to herself, running through the gates and through the road, her wind tome at the ready still.

"Monster? Perhaps I am, by some definitions. But it is far more monstrous to let catastrophes occur. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Althea answered the bandit man.

"The Goddess gives me the ability to sense demonic energies, and Kamilla described you all regardless." she said to Esphyr. "Poor girl...I'll end your suffering quickly."

The boy appeared distraught at the mention of his former teacher. "I thought she had held the tome...I made an error in judgment. Still, such is the nature of the cursed weapons. Poor, misguided soul. I pray that at least she found her way to the Goddess, as I hope all the wielders will. But there is no reason for those who do not have the cursed weapons to die here. Please surrender." Althea repeated.

"You don't even know if this is going to cause a catastrophe! And you killed innocent people!" Alf yelled at the woman, entering a fighting stance, Arrin's anguish assaulting his ears. The poor boy was beside himself with anger and sorrow. And Alf could not blame her at all.

"You know what? Screw it! You deserve to die! You're going to kill us all anyway! I don't even care about violence anymore!" Alferis said angrily, his head throbbing as the voice in his head came again.

KILL THEM! THEY'RE YOUR ENEMIES! KILL THEM!

...Ok....

Edited by Red Magister

For a moment, Joe froze. However, he managed to swing the hammer widely, smashing the heads of two of the undead and quickly swining it up for a downward strike. (I won't last too long... Not as slow and untrained as I am. But I won't go down while there might be hope.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(This looks bad. Why is the church after us? What are these crimson weapons?) As he listened, Tas couldn't believe his ears. (This is crazy! I knew this group was crazy! Baiting demons?! That sounds far too dangerous. What sort of group has Lev dragged the chicks into? Ohh not good not good... I...I can't just leave though. Blast it, Lev! Ohh I'm going to regret this... Wait. Maybe we don't have to fight them.) "Hey, Irina. I know this sounds insensitive of me, but do we really have to fight them? It might be a good idea to just hand over the wielders of those crimson weapons things. They can't be good if they're demonic, right?" he quietly asked. It was clear he was a little panicked what with how the color had left his face a little and he kept looking at the church militants.

Nicket meanwhile tried to figure out how he could attack the human. It was fun and there had to be vital things easily acessable in the lower as well as the upper regions. Curiously, the chick tilted his head, wondering if the spot between the rider's leggs would be a good place to bite.

Luc Altair

Ignored. Luc clenched his teeth as te expected anger from Arrin came about. It seemed combat would be inevitable at this rate. "So be it," Luc closed his eyes. "But do you really think the force arrayed against you is within reason? Or will you throw your lives into--perhaps as you would say--the hands of evil? Is there anyway to convince you--thee words of a King, or a veteran of the war perhaps--that we do not mean harm?"

The Fargo

"Ahhhh, why do we always fight? I hate being forced into this soldier crap," Fargo whined.

A Paul

Get to the fighting already. Paul had snuck a look outside and seen that one girl he was supposed to find earlier. Once these church goons were a bloody mess he would have free reign to do what he should hae done before. Even if it was rather ineffective.

"The Crimson Weapon wielders may or may not have hostile intent, it is the weapons themselves which are malignant. I can only hope that you find it within your hearts to choose the side of righteousness-the side of the Goddess in this conflict. I do not want to have to hurt you, Count Altair, but should you intervene, we will defend ourselves if necessary." She whispered to Kamilla behind her "Conflict appears to be approaching quickly...I ask for the aid of the Goddess."

"Everyone, I apologize for this altercation. 'Twas my leniency and mercy which allowed this confrontation to occur. I will endeavor not to make the same mistake twice." Morgan said, glaring at Kamilla.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Their driver's suggestion being a good one, and his having brought the carriage to a halt was all the excuse Tessa needed to get out and stretch her legs. She'd opened the door, and hopped down beside it before turning back. Arrin seemed preparing to follow, but the others hadn't seemed to move. In fact, Beau still seemed to be asleep. "Charlotte, wake Lord Bellemire would you, and then both of you hurry on out as well. I get the feeling―"

She was suddenly interrupted by the powerful voice of a woman speaking with authority. She was the one who had called out earlier, and she was now addressing Arrin with sort of a bittersweet tone of remorse. About having killed Illony. Instinctively, Tessa put her arm out, seeking to bar the mage from leaving the carriage. He was obviously being singled out as a target, they were trying to bait him. However her effort was easily thwarted as he pushed on past, caught up in himself, tome sparkling with energy. At the contact, some of the shock ran up along her body, and she couldn't act and as he continued to stride to meet the valkrie she could just watch. The sparks seemed to dispersed for a moment, perhaps waiting to recharge... When Kelas had ridden in, unnoticed, and scooped him up it was a relief, and by that point the electric pulse had faded away, returning her body to her control.

She turned around, looking for Morgan, and for Trevor. In a situation like this she would desperately need her horse to be fully effective, but where...

Arrin's harsh voice declaring "Sure I can!", interrupted her scan however, and she turned back to see him tumble from the saddle. Forcing herself into motion again, she stumbled after him, apparently still a little unsteady, but that was quickly forced down. The mage was foolishly limping towards the enemy again, alone. Hadn't they promised they would work this out together! She was going to help him search for what happened to his teacher, he was going to help her look for the survivors from the monastery. That was what they'd agreed, so why...

Not caring if she earned herself another shock for her efforts, she caught up to him and put her hands on his shoulders. "Arrin, please. You're not alone."

"Pffeh. It's not her fault or yours, but the asshole who burned down the inn," Reika said shaking her head. "Honestly, the girl over there's got more sense than the pack of you. Too bad she enjoys hanging around idiots," Reika said, taking out her regular dagger. No more sais now. She needed a knife that she was familiar with.

"Too bad you're going to die now. Right...hey...what's up with you?" said Reika, noticing Alf clutching his head, growling a bit.

"I'm going to kill you," said Alf in a vicious voice, drawing his axe and pointed it at Athena.

"I'm going to enjoy breaking your spine in half and I'm going to crush your body into dust. You murderers," Alf said, smiling wickedly under the mask, not bothering to take notice of Kamilla at all.

Somtehing's odd with him, but no time for that now Reika thought to herself, looking at Kamilla.

"Heh, too bad I'm going to have to put you down now. You're staying with me when I'm done with you all."

Hanging On

Irina could understand that Tas didn't want to be involved in another battle, especially not with the wyverns at stake, but she had to stay. Lowering her head she kept silent. A moment later she answered him.

Irina: You should go. But I have to stay. One of the wielders is my brother, and I can't let these people kill him, even if it means I have to kill them first. I won't let my brother die just because a church official says so. They'll have to go through me first.

Kelas' words made no sense at first and Iso had no time to try to figure out what she was trying to convey before she sent Francis into a sprint. Feeling himself falling from the horse, he grabbed onto the saddlebags and hung off the saddle backwards with his feet dragging against the dirt. He quickly put both his feet together and slammed them into the ground pushing his lower half into the air. It was hardly anything but gave him enough of a boost to get his grip on the saddle and he managed to turn forward in the process leaving himself on the horse, but with his legs dangling off its back. He quickly hauled himself back into the saddle and looked back not sure what to do. Irina watched in shock as Francis carried Iso off.

Irina: ... or we could just ... run away. Now I'm not so sure.

Lev looked back to see Iso making an apparent break for it and shrugged.

Lev: Probably for the best. Hm?

Looking down at Niket again, Lev raised an eyebrow in suspicion.

Lev: ... I wouldn't put that past you but these clothing's thick enough.

Putting his palm down on the wyvern's head he continued.

Lev: You need a chew toy or something ... that's not me.

Kamilla nervously nodded agreeing that the situation was about to become extremely violent. What was worse was that she hadn't been able to bring herself to address the group. She hadn't seen Tessa yet and there were so many of them that she was intimidated into silence. Morgan's next statement caused her to lean back as the two made eye contact. She quickly shook off her fear and tightly gripped Sanctuary.

Kamilla: (I won't just be chased off or killed here. I'll do my duty, but, how are we supposed to beat ALL of them? Where's Tessa?)

After a moment of scanning, she found her! Unable to separate thought from speech she called out.

Kamilla: Tessa!

Altenau

The first three undead were swiftly slain, but the next three to enter the room were not all undead. Two of them were townspeople, one of them, a small child now a puppet of the tendrils covering his body.

Boy: Mister, Joe? Mister Joe why is it making me chase you? Where's mommy?

Some guy: Don't you get it, kid? We're all doomed? Doomed!!

Boy: Waaaaah!

Helios's conversation was cut short by the sudden interruption. Unhappy, he watched as the events unfolded, trying to figure out which course of action he should take. His instincts pushed him to charge the enemy, simply mow them down like they had to every other barrier up until now. But...

Dani. Elle, was riding passenger. She had enough troubles of her own, this would just be more on her plate. Sure she had been with a force that had just attacked them... sure she could probably stand her ground in a fight. But he didn't want her to have to fight. It was an awkward feeling he couldn't explain, and the wind mage was conflicted, and let the chance of an immediate and swift counter-attack pass by, while some of the group appeared to be trying to negotiate. Fools, as if that would work, he though momentarily, as he lost his train of thought from what he'd been focusing on previously.

Wait... Dani had been attacking previously... no...

"These... aren't more of your friends, are they... Elle?" he finally thought to ask, though he felt he could perhaps guess the answer.

Edited by Balcerzak

Joe stopped his hammer mid-swing. (The monster... How could--...?) Carefully lowering his weapon, Joe tossed it asside. "Is that you, Tom? I know it's not your fault. Close your eyes." he asked the child. Looking to the older townsman, he solemnly asked, "Earl... What happened to Merryl?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Isotov--?" he began, surprised, remembering his interaction with the man. (I guess they're not bad even though the church is against them...) "...Lev can take care of Niket and the others. Namid and I will help you out," Tas replied, taking on his usual grit, "Go on and put on your full armor. I'll watch out for you."

The little, red wyvern made a small chirp when Lev put his hand on his head. That felt good. Niket remained comepletely still, becing calmed by the lack of ability to see anything. It was like being asleep.

Edited by Mercakete

Luc Altair

Luc kept silent towards Althea's answer for a minute in contemplation before answering. "Very well. We both have our convictions. For what my word is worth I will make my own blows less than lethal but do not expect such decency from all my companions." Luc yanked Thunder around and the two rejoined the bigger part of the group.

The Fargo

"Ah, church guys? Really? Aw man."

A Paul

Ain't nothing like fighting a religious nut. Oh man, they were always the funnest to break back in the good old days.

The Damned

Earl tried to shake his head negatively but the mass of rot around his head restrained him and he had to speak instead.

Earl: Merryl's ... she's gone ... the dogs. She got some of the kids out of the school but they were everywhere. I saw her go down, Winsey too.

Earl's attention quickly shot to his arm, the rot covering it was beginning to shift and change.

Earl: Oh no ... Joe, you've gotta get outta here, man!

The small child close his eyes as his body hugged Joe trying to hold him in place. The rot covering Earl's arm had taken the shape of a vicious scythe blade and rose readying to strike Joe down. The child kept his eyes closed and continued to cry.

Earl: No ... nooo ... please somebody STOP ME!!!

The Kinda Sorta Damned

Irina: Y-you will? It's not something you have to get involved in you know. This could get even uglier than the last battle.

She wasn't sure how determined Tas was, but at the very least she was going to take advantage of his cover to don the rest of her armor.

Irina: You shouldn't have to fight church templars.

Viveka had been quiet and observant the entire time simply gauging the enemy as best she could.

Viveka: (Althea's probably the strongest one here, her or that swordsmen. Kamilla's ... here for some reason or other I suppose. She's got a tome so she must be doing something with it. Hmm.)

Lev: Hm? ... now that's interesting.

Lev took mental note of the hatchling's new behavior.

Arrin spun, sparks crackling in his hands, ready to deal with whoever had grabbed him. He stopped short, realizing that it was Tessa, and stumbled a bit. His eyes went wide and lost the hard glare that had unnerved Kelas. "I'm sorry--" he mumbled, realizing what he'd been about to do. "I'm--" He couldn't back down, he realized. If I give in, they'll kill me and the others. I have to fight, but for the right reasons. A little shaky on his feet, he moved to stand beside Tessa. "Thanks, Tessa," he said quietly.

Kelas stopped Amari next to Arrin. "Come on, it's not me they're after," she hissed, offering a hand to help him up into the saddle. Arrin shook his head; he wouldn't abandon Tessa or Beau, and if he took Kelas' offer, she'd probably also be attacked. Kelas grit her teeth and got ready to defend.

Francis slowed to a trot, breathing heavily. He could run fast, even faster than Amari, but... not very far, not at all, maybe further if he got better food but they never had that here. He hoped he'd gotten far enough; the Lady had seemed pretty adamant that he get away, and he didn't want anything to do with these attackers either. Well, they weren't pursuing, it looked like... hopefully his rider knew what he was doing now that the Lady wasn't around to tell Francis what to do.

"Quiet, Earl. This isn't your fault. You're scaring Tommy, here. Everything will be fine, right? Adam's gone off to get help. He'll be back with several warriors and a hero I know personally named Altion," Joe replied calmly, closing his eyes and placing a hand on Tom's head. (I promised I'd be home soon, Merryl. I'll be on time, as always.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"They're attacking your brother, who you missed for a decade. You won't be separated again, right? I may not be much help, but I can try. Besides, if Isotov is a wielder, then the wielders can't be all bad. Besides that," Tas replied, offering Irina a smile as he looked back to finish adressing her, "You're my flockmate."

Niket was completely calm and still. Being unable to see anything made him think he was asleep and so began teetering under Lev's hand.

"More fighting?" Tristan asked Viveka incredulously. "How many enemies does this group have anyway? Killing bandits isn't so bad, but templars? Mother says they're a bunch of nutters, but it might not be a good idea to just kill them."

Charlotte shook Beau awake and started talking to him. "Beau, I think we're going to be fighting soon...Septimian Reformists it sounds like. I'm not sure what you want to do, but I'm going to make sure my friends stay alive." she said to him.

"I admire your convictions, misguided though they may be." Althea said to Luc, then turning to Arrin. "May the Goddess favor the side of righteousness this day." she said, unsheathing her sword, which began to glow with a bright light.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Blood and Tears

The boy continued to tightly hold onto Joe crying as Earl's arm rose higher and higher. The horde was pouring in behind him and watching with anticipation. Earl's face poured with tears as he felt his arm hold in the air. He knew what was coming next.

Earl: I'm s-sorryyyy.

With a swift and powerful motion the scythe came down.

Party

Viveka nodded to Tristan, but spoke quietly.

Viveka: ... more fighting. Nothing but cavaliers and a couple of badasses and a monk ... oh ... and Kamilla. It doesn't matter though. We have to kill them here and now or they'll just hound us. They're not going to kill my commanding officer just because they feel it's the right thing to do.

Irina returned Tas' smile as she finished putting on her armor. Flockmate wasn't a term she'd ever heard before, but given what she knew of Tas it was akin to a strong friendship at the very least, and she gladly welcomed it agreeing completely.

Irina: Thank you. Alright we'll do this together, just ... be careful and if you get hurt pull out quick.

"Of course I'll be careful. I know I'm not anywhere near as experienced or strong as most the people here. I'll have to rely on my speed, but I'll keep an eye out and attack if I have an opening," Tas replied before rising above the battle, waiting for an opportunity and looking at the layout of the battle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Urk!" quietly came from Joe's throat and then his marred, lifeless form fell to the ground, having nearly been scliced completely in half. His last thoughts were hopes that Earl and Tom wouldn't blame themselves and that they could recover from the trauma.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When he opened his eyes, Beau saw Charlotte. (Reformists? What are they doing here?) "I was in Ursibus not too long ago. I didn't run across too many of them, however. Even so, things seemed fine. What in the godess' name are they thinking?" Beau half-explained, half-wondered aloud as he quickly sorted his things and left the carrige. It was them alright. He set his glare on them, studdying. (Why are they prepared to strike?)

Edited by Mercakete

"Apparently the Crimson Weapons are evil or something and the wielders need to be killed. But even if that's true...I don't think the wielders are evil. Most of them anyway." Charlotte said, leaving the carriage and readying her staff.

"I guess we can't let General Jackson be killed...I'm fighting then I guess." Tristan replied to Viveka. Two battles in one day...that's two more than I've had my whole life. Maybe I've gotten myself into something I can't get out of...