Patch 1.0.4 update list

Lord Raven

Warning: I'm linking to a reddit thread.

As you all know, 1.0.4 is out and there are quite a few character balance patches. On paper, these look great, however in practice it could be something else entirely. They are significant changes however, and we lose a lot of fun glitches because of it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2mncc1/smash_4_update_14_changes/

This thread has a table in the top comment for all changes and you can browse comments for more details. It's a lot but it's good stuff.

Edited by Lord Raven

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my mains have been either mostly untouched (Jean Dubyah, Snoop Doggy Duck, and R.O.B.E.R.T.O) or buffed (Zelda).

I'm pretty happy with this update.

Ike's buffs are amazing, but it turns out Shulk's buffs go beyond just damage. They also decrease some landing lag, and increase knockback on a few of his moves. Shulk and Ike definitely won the patch lottery this time around!

Shulk's buffs make this little trickster all giddy with fiendish joy. Yoshi and G&W remain unchanged it seems. (well other than that Yoshi glitch i could never pull off.) Palutena seems unchanged too. However, that Rosie change...I like that Luma comes back faster, but...

It looks like Shulk's F-Air got a huge buff. It seems to have about 14 frames of landing lag now, compared to it's previous 21: http://zippy.gfycat.com/HardGrandioseFallowdeer.webm

To put that in perspective, Shulk's N-Air has 12 frames of landing lag. Shulk really made off like a bandit in this patch. I guess you could say he's really stealing it?

Edited by Monado Boy

Unless you try to cling on to the edge with your back turned.

Which has also been fixed.

Good for Robin, it came at the price of his extra jump xD.

Anyways, I wish the same had been fixed with Peach... she still can't grab the ledge backwards with her parasol.

I'm glad for Ike fans (mostly Ana) that Ike's been made better, but what about Zelda? She's slow too, and could really use a hand in that moveset of hers. I'd wish that her up-tilt had the KO power it did in Brawl, and had Din's Fire cover the same distance as Brawl.

I was hoping Zelda was faster too. Come on, Sakurai, Zelda was screwed over 3 times in a row! This one patch had the chance to save her (and it clearly could save characters, as it did Ike), but nothing notable came up for Zelda besides her up-tilt giving 1% more damage.

Good for Robin, it came at the price of his extra jump xD.

Anyways, I wish the same had been fixed with Peach... she still can't grab the ledge backwards with her parasol.

I'm glad for Ike fans (mostly Ana) that Ike's been made better, but what about Zelda? She's slow too, and could really use a hand in that moveset of hers. I'd wish that her up-tilt had the KO power it did in Brawl, and had Din's Fire cover the same distance as Brawl.

I was hoping Zelda was faster too. Come on, Sakurai, Zelda was screwed over 3 times in a row! This one patch had the chance to save her (and it clearly could save characters, as it did Ike), but nothing notable came up for Zelda besides her up-tilt giving 1% more damage.

Zelda has a very solid game this time around. Her Farores wind is one of the absolute best ko moves in the game. It even combos with itself

Her lightning kicks are easier to sweetspot and she can punish with Din's Fire and her various moves. Her down tilt and uptilt combo like crazy and she can rack up the damage. Phantom can be a shield and gimp off the edge

Her approach still needs work but she is by far better then she was in Melee and Brawl. Not quite P:M level, but at least one of her custom Din's Fires allows me to play her semi like P:M Zelda

Edited by Jedi

Zelda has a very solid game this time around. Her Farores wind is one of the absolute best ko moves in the game. It even combos with itself

Her lightning kicks are easier to sweetspot and she can punish with Din's Fire and her various moves. Her down tilt and uptilt combo like crazy and she can rack up the damage. Phantom can be a shield and gimp off the edge

Her approach still needs work but she is by far better then she was in Melee and Brawl. Not quite P:M level, but at least one of her custom Din's Fires allows me to play her semi like P:M Zelda

Yes, I agree with you on what you explained.

Especially on the Lightning Kicks part, when I first read about it, I never noticed it. But it really is easier to land. I love how Farore's Wind + Din's Fire can kill way better than before, but the distance on Din's Fire is what bugs me. I would like it better if it still had less knockback, but more distance.

tbh, I'm fine with her slowness, though I would like her to be a bit faster. It never really bugged me, but when I saw that other characters (like Ike) could be made faster in a patch, it made me a bit angry knowing that Zelda was barely changed.

But the real problem is Farore's Wind (not being able to move left or right for the first second) and Din's Fire (causing helplessness). Only because P:M made it possible, is the reason I'm complaining. But I can live with it.

Edited by Carter

Yeah, the extra kill move in Farore's Wind is really big, though to be honest Din's Fire is pretty unimpressive and the fact it puts you in helpless freefall has gotten me SDed a couple of times because I slid off a ledge. Phantom is not the greatest but it does give her some extra edgeguard potential... just not the best.

Getting wins with Zelda is still not easy but I think it's hard to make her good without fundamentally changing what makes Zelda feel like Zelda. Unfortunately being light, floaty, tall, and slower-than-average movement is tough to pull yourself out of but she wouldn't feel right if any of that were different.

wow, ledge canceling and dacus are gone. ...i don't see what this accomplishes other than taking away that much more variety from the game. good stuff for rosaluma though.

edit: The slide part of DACUS is gone, but you can still go into up smash from a dash. It's not as good though, all your momentum gets lost, so there's not much of a point in doing it compared to DACUS.

Edited by Samias

edit: The slide part of DACUS is gone, but you can still go into up smash from a dash. It's not as good though, all your momentum gets lost, so there's not much of a point in doing it compared to DACUS.

pretty sure that's just jump cancel up smash?

dash attack cancelled up smash is what it stands for (DACUS is an acronym)

i remember reading somewhere you could still DACUS

EDIT: nope, I was wrong, carry on

Edited by Lord Raven

dash attack cancelled up smash is what it stands for (DACUS is an acronym)

i remember reading somewhere you could still DACUS

i know what it is. i guess i just misinterpreted samias's post. regardless, it's a shame that its applications are gone.

DACUS is so hard to do on the 3DS that we'll likely have to wait until the Wii U version to see if it still exists.

From what it sounds like, Diddy and Sonic are replacing Sheik and Rosalina as the top two characters in the game.

Hopefully they'll get nerfed in the next patch because I really don't like fighting either of them.

it's pretty obvious if you're DACUS'ing, because you have to press A then immediately do an up smash. If you've been doing just an up smash then you're not DACUSing.

Did you do it ever in Brawl? You could basically tell if you were DACUSing in Brawl because you'd go a lot further.