Ragefest 3: Douchey Today, Relieved Tomorrow

MarkyJoe1990

Agrsplagrblagh you're going so faast.

If I submit mine soon just to get it in before you finish everything else, can I send revisions later, even after you're done with everything that's not mine? I could probably just finish the first half or two-thirds and get back to you with the last part (I doubt you'll get very far very fast)

I think you may be asking a bit much. DX

If you can get your submission in soon, I'll still accept it into the contest, but I'd prefer that your submission is complete before I LP it.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, my biggest problem is that I'm waiting on people like BwdYeti to help me on things. And while he's really helpful when he posts, that isn't too terribly often =X

But if you want a game with mostly custom palettes and a much less awesome ending and less playtesting, I could almost certainly get it to you by the end of the week. Otherwise, well, I'm still hoping for getting it in within the week, but there's definitely no guarantees.

The way I see it, I didn't get to completely finish my submission either. I submitted it on the deadline because that's the polite thing to do. Ephraim and I lose out, basically, on two weeks of extra time we could have put into refining our submissions, while you get all that extra time. Not only that, but I recall a post where you said "Well since Hithere used ____ in his submission, I might cut that out of mine". I don't have that luxury. If something in mine comes off as ripped off because someone else's submission was made before mine, mine is set in stone, while you still get time to revise your story. It just seems unfair to me. I figured you meant light touchups, like the pallettes and whatnot, but it's like you have all this extra time to add essentialy more content.

/rant

Edited by Klokinator

Let me list off what I've been adding post-deadline:

Village, flavor, and death text.

Custom item sprites. (And on that note, I switched the functions of Fire and Thunder. Thunder is unused anyway though)

Character animations and palettes.

One new song.

Two reinforcement events(and making the existing reinforcement events have units moving to places instead of appearing) and one actually pretty big event for the ending.

Two modified skills for the sake of style.

[EDIT: And maybe something else I've forgotten, but it couldn't be that big if I forgot it, right?]

Really the biggest things to me are the character animations and palettes, but I've been having trouble with both.

But if Marc's fine with generic palettes and a less-awesome ending, I can submit it sooner, like I said.

EDIT2: On a more relevant note, IIRC Marc said it was okay as a general statement anyway.

Edited by ~afk~

Let me list off what I've been adding post-deadline:

Village, flavor, and death text.

Custom item sprites.

Character animations and palettes.

One new song.

Two reinforcement events(and making the existing reinforcement events have units moving to places instead of appearing) and one actually pretty big event for the ending.

Two modified skills for the sake of style.

[EDIT: And maybe something else I've forgotten, but it couldn't be that big if I forgot it, right?]

Really the biggest things to me are the character animations and palettes, but I've been having trouble with both.

But if Marc's fine with generic palettes and a less-awesome ending, I can submit it sooner, like I said.

Why not just submit it to Ragefest 4?

Ehh, I guess I could, but I really don't want to. This was meant for Ragefest 3, and I was hoping it could help be part of something to help make it like your metaphor of how the third movie tends to "blow away" the first two.

Also, I don't want to feel like I've been rushing for nothing because motivation would suffer blah blah blah.

Lastly, if you're considering making 4 the last one, I couldn't do that because I've been coming up with some ideas for another game.

But if it is too much of a hassle or seems unfair, I can do whatever, I guess.

Ehh, I guess I could, but I really don't want to. This was meant for Ragefest 3, and I was hoping it could help be part of something to help make it like your metaphor of how the third movie tends to "blow away" the first two.

Also, I don't want to feel like I've been rushing for nothing because motivation would suffer blah blah blah.

Lastly, if you're considering making 4 the last one, I couldn't do that because I've been coming up with some ideas for another game.

But if it is too much of a hassle or seems unfair, I can do whatever, I guess.

About that... I'm having second thoughts about making Ragefest 4 the last ragefest. I think I was just depressed at the time I said that to whomever I said that to.

Maybe we should get someone to constantly pester you on Skype? Possibly Marc and/or Trent?

I always feel very guilty pestering people when it comes to something that will ultimately benefit me (With views and popularity in this case).

I always feel very guilty pestering people when it comes to something that will ultimately benefit me (With views and popularity in this case).

there's also shit like my source not compiling but you don't know anything about that ~'3'~

Ah. Well, forgive me Marc, I didn't know that. Also, Cam, can you dumb that down for me? Me no speak hacking language, and very little computer language.

but it's like you have all this extra time to add essentialy more content.

I thought about this for a while, and... to be fair, although I submitted my hack on the deadline, the person I wanted to LP my submission hasn't done so yet, so I capitalized on this and added more stuff to my submission...

Additionally, I told pwnagekirby sometime back on SoS that I don't really care when he submits it, so long as he gets it in when the contest is still going. I also gave GoldenWarrior time to fix his submission, since he apparently gave me one that was glitchy. Though, like me, he submitted his on time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if we're not going to allow people to fix up their submissions before they are LPed, we might as well disqualify me and GoldenWarrior, or at the very least not accept the updated versions of our submissions.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

As long as mine is LP'd before PK's, I don't mind too much.

*she, btw.

Before I LP any further submissions, we need to figure out how we're going to fix this. I can choose to enforce the deadline, which would mean that version 1.0 of my submission would have to be LPed instead of 1.1. GoldenWarrior's submission would have to be played on the latest version that made it before the deadline, and pwnagekirby's submission would have to wait until ragefest 4.

On the other hand, if I choose to give people more time, the people whose submissions I've already LPed will be screwed, since they've already had their submissions LPed, so further changes would be redundant.

I want to talk this over with FELover3 and Ephraim225, since I've LPed their submissions, so they're going to be at a slight disadvantage. I'll also want PwnageKirby and GoldenWarrior, since this effects them as well.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Everyone whose submission is due, should submit them ASAP. For RF3, we can be lenient with those rules, and for RF4, we can be more strict with the time limit. Therefore, if someone doesn't submit their project on the due date, they can either request an extension or drop out and wait for the next ragefest. But the thing is, if PK doesn't submit hers now, she'll have had two or three entire ragefests to work on her submission anyway, giving her a huge edge over the RF4 contestants. So she'll either have a slight edge now, or a huge edge later.

We'd just have to wait until next ragefest to enact the new submission rules. Remember, it's a learning process!

I want to talk this over with FELover3 and Ephraim225, since I've LPed their submissions, so they're going to be at a slight disadvantage. I'll also want PwnageKirby and GoldenWarrior, since this effects them as well.

Gawd you're taking this so seriously XD

Just relax, it's not like this is exactly the World Series.

Gawd you're taking this so seriously XD

Just relax, it's not like this is exactly the World Series.

Sorry. I noticed that I pretty much got away with updating my submission, while pwnagekirby wasn't even gonna get to submit hers until I spoke up. I entered to win, but I want it to be on fair terms.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

After speaking with Golden Warrior, PwnageKirby, FELover3, Ephraim225, I've concluded that the deadline will be extended. The new deadline is 4/07/2012

However, FELover3 believes that for the sake of fairness, I should mention the slight disadvantage he and Ephraim225 have since they were not given extra time to polish up their submissions (Fix text skips and whatnot). I'll probably mention this in some of the ragefest videos.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

MJ, have you played my submission yet? If not, I can rush out a bunch of bugfixes and lulz things within a few days.

I took a peek at the map (Skipped the cutscenes) to see what I was in for, then closed the window and cowered in a corner.

You still have time before I muster up the courage to play it.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990