Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 22: The Hunt

Phoenix

Charlotte thought about what Viveka said. "Well, I would never want an innocent person to die for no reason. But perhaps you're right in a way. People really care about their own goals and people close to them, not random strangers. But rulers must be different, since every action they take affects so many others. Though I...suppose I cannot claim to care for all people, at least equally." she said, looking down. "But I cannot imagine myself having as much callous disregard for human life as Jace does." she said, looking up.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viveka

Viveka was feeling a bit tired and sluggish but just kept refilling her mug until the container was empty. Once her mug was empty too she slumped over.

Viveka: People go to war and then everything changes. You have to make decisions everyday that will send hundreds of good people to their deaths. That cold calculating behavior doesn't always where off once the war ends. I guess human life becomes the same as livestock. It's all about keeping your numbers high and beating other people up for resources to feed and get more livestock ... at least that's what Halton does. Jace too apparently. Any country that's able to really. If they don't become the biggest and strongest nation, someone else will and then where does that leave them? Right, a subjugated state, or conquered altogether. Either's pretty disgraceful. I'm sure you know.

By now she was far less coherent and simply speaking her mind freely.

Landing

Once they found the inn that they left from, Lev had Kiev touch down near the stables.

Edited by Phoenix

"I suppose some must see it that way." Charlotte sighed. "Anyway, I had better go pray for Sir Pary before going to bed." she said, heading from the table and going upstairs, noting that Viveka seemed to be getting rather tipsy. Charlotte thought it polite to leave before Viveka embarrassed herself.

There wasn't much guidance from Lev other than "we're landing." A little worried about that, Tas tried to guage a good landing spot and guide Namid there. This was difficult not only because Namid couldn't help tas land by being able to see how far from the ground he was, but also because Tas' own vision was impaired. As a result, the sound and feel from his normal landings (a rush of wind from Namid's smoothly-descending wings and the light sound of wyvern feet and talons patting against the ground) was a little...different. Instead, Namid almost landed on the stables; hallf of one foot landed on the edge of the stable roof. A wyvern screech, the surprised yelp from the rider, a snapping sound, a crumbling sound and a loud thud later, Namid and Tas were finally on the ground again.

Namid had managed to tear down part of the stable roof and land partially on Tas. The wyvern had landed on his back, but Tas slipped from the saddle soon enough that only one leg had been crushed by the mountain wyvern's weight and the small ammount of rubble from the wrecked stable roof had landed harmlessly to the side. "Well... That was a better landing than I expected," Tas mumbled to himself before calling to his wyvern, "Namid, you're pinning my leg; get up!" Namid growled in annoyance as he rolled onto his legs again. Miraculously, the second crash only caused a few bruises on wyvern and rider and minimal damage to the surrounding area. In Tas' mind, that was a success, even if it did leave him with a bit of a limp from a somewhat-twisted ankle.

Welcome to Worthington

As Lev dismounted from Kiev he walked over to investigate. Tas and Namid seemed to be alright, though it looked like they had clipped part of the stable roofing. Lev mumbled to himself while scratching the back of his neck.

Lev: Oi that's probably coming out of the bill. Well at least we're back. Are you alright, Tas?

Viveka

Viveka: (I'm not much of a praying person. I'd ask the goddess for help once in awhile but ... she wouldn't really do anything. Praying is just a way to help yourself put out more positive thoughts. Actual things happen if they happen and that's all there is to it.)

She continued to think to herself for awhile but it wasn't long before she buried her head in her arms and tried to pass out.

Arriving in the town of Worthington, Heinz quickly dismounted from his horse along with the priest, who quickly rushed off into the inn. "I'll be back in a little bit," he said to the monk before walking inside himself, tiredly taking in his surroundings. It seemed he had lingered outside for a moment too long though, and he wandered around the lower floor of the inn aimlessly looking for his employer for a few minutes, scanning the dining area a couple of times and picking up a plate of food to eat before he was chased out of the kitchen.

What was that for? Heinz grumbled to himself. That soup smelled nice too, absentmindedly picking up a fork and walking up the stairs. A member of the nobility? He thought, observing the accessories and clothing the priest was wearing more carefully. Wandering the countryside eh? Seems this group attracts them like flies, looking inside another empty room while a clatter of footsteps dashed down the stairs. Heinz frowned, walking back into the hallway to see only the fire mage left outside.

Damned thunder mage, the mercenary scowled to himself, sighing when he found Morgan sound asleep in the next room. Hurrying down the stairs, Heinz placed his plate of food on the edge of the table. Catching the open door Beau had opened in a huff, the thief ran outside to see the monk talking to the prince.

"You're untying him?" He inquired of the troubadour with a mixture of irritation and amusement. "I'll bring him inside, since Morgan seems to be asleep. Deal with him tomorrow," deciding to help Tessa untie the knot binding Raemond to his horse.

Wandering

After continuing on into the village, Derek went into the markets, with no particular purpose besides looking for an armor smith. Unfortunately, after a half-hour or so of searching, he was unable to find one, which was to be expected. After gaining nothing new in news regarding the war, the man returned back to the inn, to find Viveka slumped over a table, empty beer jug and mug in front of her. The Jerdon paused, to consider what he should do, then approached the woman and nudged her.

"Are you awake," he asked, not really expecting an answer.

Viveka

It was dark where she was. Her arms blocked out nearly all the light. Hearing Derek's voice and close by at that, she mumbled back.

Viveka: What is it? Is something else suddenly sucking? Did Jace kill someone else?

Disembodied Voice

"Not one of us, at least," Derek said, in response to the pegasus knight's mumblings. At the same time, he took one of her arms, and placed it over his shoulder. "Come on, you need to sleep the alcohol off."

Viveka

Viveka moaned in frustration as Derek helped her up.

Viveka: Just once ... can't something just ... go the way I want them to and just ... to hell with anybody else's actions? ... this alcohol ... is cheap.

Wrenched Plans

"Don't we all... Anyways, while the ale was cheap, you drank a pitcher of it," Derek said, as he got Viveka up from the table successfully. "Let's get you to bed now. A tavern is not exactly the... safest place for drunken women such as yourself." The cavalier began to lead his friend over towards the housing part of the inn. As he did, he also made sure that the pegasus knight wasn't going to pass out on him.

Viveka

Viveka: I'm drunk? See now I was just trying to get a little relaxed. Bad plan so I won't complain about that. I'm sorry. I shouldn't be doing this to myself but ... what else can I do? I was actually entertaining the idea of trying to get this sad excuse for a unit organized. What the hell was I thinking?

"My, you certainly have a knack for keeping one neutral. I appreciate being allowed to enter the inn, but then you mention what just might be the end of me," Raemond mentioned to Heinz, finding it almost amusing. (What unfathomable luck. Though Beau's concerns are vailid, it isn't likely I'll be recognized as a Reformist. Not without my coat at least, and I'm keeping that here on Lantos. Well, it's probably for the better. I trust you'll change your mind and shift from this petty grudge, Beau.) To Tristan, he mentioned, "I understand that I could have hidden those things from you, but that would not have been altogether honest."

Thoughts

"You'd have to have Morgan acquire a heart or hand over control of the group, first of all," Derek said, still checking for an empty room. He eventually found one, and led Viveka inside. "Then it would be reining in everyone else, which is no small task, especially with regards to Reika. But otherwise, the idea is workable. Anyways, here we are. Do you need anything?"

Viveka

Viveka: Maybe if Morgan realizes that we're surviving off of luck and not much else she'll back down and let Conrad or someone lead the party. I can't blame him for not immediately trying to organize this mess. He already has his own men, disciplined ones. Save for the nasty comments I kind of miss those bastards.

Derek's mention of Reika got a small "Tch" from Viveka.

Viveka: I need to remember not to lose track of her. When this is over, or once those crimson daggers are off of her, she's dead. I'm not letting that little runt dodge justice just because she's a crimson weapon wielder. She's either going to hang by a noose or from a lance for that attack on Ilyphina.

Once she was brought to the bed and asked if she needed anything, she started to really think about it for a second.

Viveka: Um ... nothing I can have at the moment. Thanks for asking though.

Derek

"Alright. Well, I guess I shall see you in the morning, then," Derek said, stepping out of the room, and closing the door, as he said, "Good night."

After the door was closed, the cavalier, tired from the battle hours earlier, found yet another spare room, and almost instantly collapsed into it.

"I don't plan on letting Morgan kill anyone," Arrin asserted shakily as they entered the inn. He knew there would likely be nothing he could do, but... he could try, and he had to convince the reformist that the wielders weren't all evil... not that that was working very well.

He split off from the odd little group as they reached the stairs. He wanted to relay Beau's message about going into the town to Tessa, but this was hardly an opportune situation-- if she followed, maybe, or else he'd tell her in the morning. Well, unless she followed, he'd go to sleep now... the better to be awake when Morgan was trying to decide things.

The child went back into the stables and didn't return. He hadn't seen him in there in the first place - it was likely that he, like Sethor, had been sleeping in with the animals. If he knew one of the travelers, though, then he wasn't one of the stable boys that the inn kept - perhaps he was a squire, then, as he had once been, long ago. He could remember more of those days than any other - preparing horses, helping to armor the knights he served. More often than not, he helped remove it from their corpses as well. The war had not been kind to those who fought it. Each day he had made his peace with the goddess, expecting to die like so many others around him. And yet, through it all, somehow, he had lived. He hadn't been unscathed, physically or mentally, of course, but he still had blood flowing through his veins - many of the knights he had served and the squires he had been friends with couldn't share in that luck.

People entered, and then left the stables - one more with them on the way out than had entered. He heard the briefest snatches of conversation - a prisoner, one that some of them didn't agree with keeping. He wasn't about to get involved. With less people in the stables, and the chill of the night cutting through his wool padding, he turned back to the building. There was the child, asleep next to a pegasus - he could've sworn the creature gave him a reproachful glance. He watched the boy for a moment before retiring to his own horse's stall. The charger was asleep, and didn't even notice his presence.

Trombe. That had been its name, long ago, when he believed names to be an important aspect of a horse's character. Named after a mythical steed of unmatched agility. Now it was a weary, heavy-footed veteran. Time changed so many things.

He settled against his Trombe, closing his eyes and sighing. With any luck, he would evade any more dreams tonight.

As Prince Tristan had wandered over and started to inquire after their activities, Tessa stopped in the middle of untying the knot, and respectfully addressed him. "Highness," she began, but Arrin and Beau were also both eager to explain, so she let them carry on with most of the details, several of which she hadn't know herself, most particularly the Beau connection. The young heir had also mentioned something interesting about an outing, but that seemed to be neither here nor there, so for the moment, she left that completely alone, and just watch the priest sulk off upstairs.

Raemond too chimed in with a defense, of sorts, though he certainly didn't seem to be attempting to put himself in any better graces. All Tessa had to add to that was a mutter in a low one, conveying her fervent hope that it wouldn't matter even if the monk went to Ursibus and reported again on the group. "With any luck, Kamilla's already doing exactly that... and without us even knowing where we're going next, I doubt you could guess any better than she is."

The prince didn't seem to be very comfortable with the news, but he certainly wasn't taking an aggressive stance, which was appreciated. Around this time Heinz returned, seeming a bit surprised at all the activity around his horse. Asking her specifically about untying the man, she answered. "Well, just a bit. Enough to bring him inside, at least. The thief took over though, and quickly finished the task, though Tessa was sure she'd just about conquered the knot. Everybody made their way back in to the inn. At about the stairs, the group started to split off. Arrin seemed to be hanging back, so she decided to ask him to join her to dinner, as she still needed to get that, and her bath, accomplished before she could really let herself retire.

"Arrin? If you haven't already had supper, would you mind joining me at the kitchens?"

Edited by Balcerzak

"Oh-- I've already eaten, but I'll come with anyway." Arrin was still a little hungry, and he liked talking to Tessa regardless. He doubled back, walking alongside her.

As they headed toward the kitchen, it occurred to him that he could ask about tomorrow now. "By the way-- Beau mentioned exploring town tomorrow, since we're staying here for the day. Do you want to come with?"

Tessa thought about protesting, that if he'd already eaten he needn't have to tag along, but since he didn't seem to mind, and started to lead the way after changing his course, she figured 'why bother?' Meals with company always were better than eating alone, and it looked like she'd taken too long in the stables and most everyone was probably finished by this point.

As they were pulling up on their destination, Arrin broached the subject she thought she heard Beau mention in passing. "Exploring, hmm? Going shopping and the like, or just running around, seeing what's there?" A bit of an excited, or maybe hopeful tone had made its way into her voice, as she thought back to some of the other, light-hearted outings that somehow in the midst of all the chaos they'd managed to find time for. "And who all is coming: You, me, Beau... Charlotte?" she ventured a guess as to the guest list.

Edited by Balcerzak

"Mmm," Tessa murmured her approval in between bites. "Well, you can count me in, then. It should do me some good, it should do everyone some good to take a break from the heavy cares of the past few days."

Laying her fork down a minute, and folding her hands in front of her, she continued a touch somberly. "I should apologize for... running off the other night. I know you'd offered to talk about anything, and I know that you were worried... but in spite of that, or maybe it was because of it, I kind of needed... something fresh, I guess? Maybe I felt bad for always making you worry after, or ask after me. I hope you don't mind too terribly that I left you to take care of Aiya, while I ran off to Lev. But... it seemed to have worked, and I think maybe I helped him a little too." Finishing with a slight smile, she picked her utensils back up, and began again to work at her meal.

"It's fine," Arrin assured her, though it did sting a little that apparently he wasn't helpful. "I'm glad it helped." He still could probably benefit from talking to someone also, really... but now was clearly not the time for it. Maybe tomorrow...

OOC: Dunno when to wrap this up really.