Rate the Unit, Day 24: Makalov

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team " or any other justification as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Rolf: 1.154

Sothe: 2.03

Brom: 2.32

Shinon: 3

Volke : 4.824

Ilyana: 4.98

Soren: 5.152

Rhys: 5.315

Gatrie: 5.463

Mia: 5.708

Mist: 6.413

Mordecai: 6.547

Zihark: 6.65

Lethe: 6.75

Nephenee: 6.79

Astrid: 7.76

Boyd: 8.293

Ike: 8.567

Oscar: 9.075

Kieran: 9.231

Jill: 9.31

Marcia: 9.36

Titania: 9.91

I hope you don't mind, PKL, but a few days have passed since Astrid's day. I'll tally up her scores in a bit. Anyway, here's Marcia's drunk-ass older brother; MAKALOV!

EDIT: Astrid rounded up to 7.76. No lucky numbers.

Edited by ZM456

6.0/10

"Just another mounted unit," granted he's pretty good but he doesn't stand out to me either. He's not really unique in his utility nor is he necessarily worth training- that many mounts at that point in the game is just overkill, and he actually requires more resources than Astrid (hence the lower score).

Best promotion class in this game and dem growths. Use him, and he turns out a beast with plenty of durability and offense. The problem? His base level is 10 and he comes later than Kieran (who actually starts at a higher level than him), to say nothing of Titania, Oscar, Jill, and Marcia. And unlike Astrid, who has Paragon to get her up to speed, Makalov's just this guy you gotta recruit and start leveling up from 10. The next mission after his recruitment is not an ideal spot to be getting him experience, and it's questionable how much experience he can get in 17 unless he gets some BEXP injected and plenty of kills in 16. That's not to say he isn't a potentially good candidate for it, it's just... it's a lot of effort for a guy who, while good, is coming in a bit late with very little to recommend him over units you've probably already been working on all game.

Still, if stats are the most important thing, he turns out tops in that, I guess... eventually. I just don't like his joining situation. Having said all that, still a Paladin.

7/10

Best promotion class in this game and dem growths. Use him, and he turns out a beast with plenty of durability and offense. The problem? His base level is 10 and he comes later than Kieran (who actually starts at a higher level than him), to say nothing of Titania, Oscar, Jill, and Marcia. And unlike Astrid, who has Paragon to get her up to speed, Makalov's just this guy you gotta recruit and start leveling up from 10. The next mission after his recruitment is not an ideal spot to be getting him experience, and it's questionable how much experience he can get in 17 unless he gets some BEXP injected and plenty of kills in 16. That's not to say he isn't a potentially good candidate for it, it's just... it's a lot of effort for a guy who, while good, is coming in a bit late with very little to recommend him over units you've probably already been working on all game.

Still, if stats are the most important thing, he turns out tops in that, I guess... eventually. I just don't like his joining situation. Having said all that, still a Paladin.

7/10

6(-1 for the hair/personality)/10

He also costs you use of Marcia for that map since he's waaaaaaay off to the west.

6.5/10

He also costs you use of Marcia for that map since he's waaaaaaay off to the west.

Which isn't a big deal, because Marcia is not the best Gashilama slayer (though her flight can make it a little easier to get to him by turn 2). Plus, Makalov can grab Vantage after he's recruited.

Pros:

+A horse

+Good growths

~Good affinity

+Can cap many (~5) stats for transfer (including HP and Skl with a booster)

+Bubblegum pink clown hair in cotton candy flavor

+Marcia's brother

Cons:

-1 for bad bases, he can't carry the Steel Sword he comes with without getting doubled by almost everyone. He needs lots of Str, Skl, Spd and defenses fast. The good thing is he has Knight Ward access.

-1 for low level at midgame, meaning he will need quite a few levels to catch up

-.25 for bad skill to offer. Tempest is more of a curse for him at the start since it lowers his already low hit/avoid when he needs it, but doesn't offer much benefit when the biorhythm is good. You're better off taking it off him when you can. I understand this is to represent his luck fluctuations, but he could have been fit for Gamble, being a canon-gambler/main sword user after all.

-.5 for sword lock at the start, although it doesn't take too long to promote him

-.5 for meh support options, they are all Wind, but at least that means Avoid (and Hit), which is good, but by the time he reaches A/B, he could use some strength

+.5 horse/mobility

7.25/10 he's overall a good unit, but he's slower in catching up to wherever the other 3 mounted knights are at (or will be at).

I am neutral towards the guy, because he has a good heart and he gets a lot of hate for his addictions/laziness, but he could do better trying to fix his flaws. I'm on my first playthrough using him and Astrid, and she is beating him at everything but HP at a lower level. I managed to get a few level ups in the desert chapter by shoving him with Lethe to the east as she was going up to recruit Stefan, and he petted the kittens there while surviving scratches with a vulnerary. He has been hogging the Knight Ward ever since he joined, but is currently the unit that needs the most healing, because his terrible luck as a character is also upon him as an unit.

7/10 Has a Horse but he arrives late and underleveled (and before a desert chapter no less)

Fun Fact: In Fixed mode you can give him a killing edge, feed him 1 exp at a time and he'll proc HP, STR, SKL, SPD, and DEF on every level up cool.gif

Fun Fact: In Fixed mode you can give him a killing edge, feed him 1 exp at a time and he'll proc HP, STR, SKL, SPD, and DEF on every level up cool.gif

Yep, granted if you do that, he'll be suffering in Luck/Res, but you could fix that later with increments of 2 and a Pegasus/Priest band.

Edited by Silent Mercenary

5.5 (6.5-1 for the hair and personality)/10. He's not a bad unit by any means, but that joining situation is just ugh, considering he joins right before the desert chapter.

6.0/10

"Just another mounted unit," granted he's pretty good but he doesn't stand out to me either. He's not really unique in his utility nor is he necessarily worth training- that many mounts at that point in the game is just overkill, and he actually requires more resources than Astrid (hence the lower score).

This.

Makalov. The gambling layabout just ambling along. Marcia's brother.

Pros:

Horsie.

Decent growths.

Not a bad idea for transfers.

Looks like Pauly Shore.

Cons:

Joins kinda late.

Base level is kinda ehhhh.

Base stats are also ehhhh.

Kinda redundant at this point.

Makalov isnt a bad unit. At first glance though, its like "again?" cuz he looks like a weaker sword version of Kieran's joining situation. Only Kieran's situation was a bit better (and sooner). His sword level isnt bad but not great and his strength isnt fantastic. Fixed mode..i cant say i used Makalov in fixed mode before so yeah...not certain the averages. Ive only used him a couple of times and hes ok. I usually only do that when i want my FULL PALADIN ZERG RUSH going on. He can be a pain to train because he joins right before a level that makes horsies go "AEGH". And the level after that is indoors. (making horsie move not seem as great.)

The only time id use him is if i really felt like it and wanted my swarm of pallies.

5/10. 6/10 bias because hes hilarious and MAKALOV!

He joins under-leveled right before the desert chapter, and his base stats are lower than what Kieran's were three chapters ago. His growths are pretty good, and he can use the Knight Ward to help get his speed going. All of his support partners are wind affinity for some reason.

7/10

Pros:

1) Horse

2) 5% Crit bond with Marcia

3) Best Strength of all Pallies

4) Best Defense of all Pallies

5) Second best Speed of all Pallies

6) Sol+Wind/Lightning support creates a super tank.

Cons:

1) Atrocious start time right before desert

2) Horribly under-leveled, requiring large bonus exp investment

3) Swords only pre-promotion

4) Tempest backfires often and needs to be removed for Sol.

Overall: Pre-promotion I prefer him to Astrid as I'd rather be 1-range locked than 2-range locked, but he's too under-leveled to compete with Kieran and Oscar, who can be near promotion by the time Makalov joins. With significant investment, he's the best of the 5 pallies, but it's a matter of how much BEXP you care to spend.

Final rating: Deserves a 9 or higher for being a statistical monster, but getting to that point requires too hefty an investment in too short a time, so he's getting a 7.5

Edited by freewaffles

PROS:

-pally

-good growths and stats

CONS:

-very weak start

-needs a large amount of Bexp

Makalov is just like Astrid, but he needs more Bexp, he grows slower, and he comes 1 Chapter later. With Titania, Oscar, Kieran, and Astrid all available, Makalov is kinda redundant. However, if you passed on one of the other Pallys then he should definitely be used. If you happen to have 600-800 Bexp lying around you mind as well give it to him since having an extra paladin is never a bad thing, but with Jill, Astrid, and Kieran all wanting Bexp, Makalov usually ends up as the odd-man-out.

6.5/10 - Availability hurts him.

7/10

I'll go ahead and use this. Sorry for the lateness. Tallying.