KoT Patch (Update, 4/27: New Shaman Unit Now In C6! C6 Poll Ends Soon!)

Kngt_Of_Titania

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which Features Should Be Implemented in C6?

• A) Make boss a theme, replace more units with shamans!
    • B) Buff up boss and nearby entourage, place spider further back!
    • C) Heavy fog (shorter Fog of War sight distance), give Natasha 15 Use Torch in C5!
    • D) Monster reinforcements!
    • E) Your own idea! (Please post it)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, you claim this is a balance patch but then there's this

KoTPic12.png

And Eirika is OHKOed in the Prologue. If anything, this is making Seth more broken as you rely on him more to get shit done.

[12:20:25] <&Colonel_M> No way

[12:20:27] <&Colonel_M> I have an idea

[12:20:30] <&Colonel_M> I should give him my idea

[12:20:34] <&Colonel_M> Brave Boltings

[12:21:36] <@Interceptor> what is brave about hitting someone from 10 tiles away?

[12:21:59] <&Colonel_M> Hitting them twice in one turn

[12:22:28] <&Colonel_M> Cuz, you know, it really should be named "Coward Sword / Axe / Lance"

[12:22:36] <&Colonel_M> (No really I think the term is kind of dumb too)

[12:22:43] <@Interceptor> no way dude. melee weapons you have to get right up in the shit

[12:22:54] <@Interceptor> even a Brave Bow has no counter and leaves you in easy reach

[12:23:12] <&Colonel_M> We could call it Coward Bolting... ;_;

[12:23:13] <@Interceptor> should call it Trololol Bolting

[12:23:17] <&Colonel_M> Or that

[12:23:47] <@Interceptor> or cal it B-b-b-bolting

[12:23:53] <@Interceptor> be a little bit offensive

[12:23:59] <~Mekkahfk> [18:20:18] <Anouleth> mekkah you could learn some lessons from KoT

[12:24:04] <~Mekkahfk> he should take lessons from me

[12:24:08] <~Mekkahfk> i put bolting pegs in ch1!

No really, please, add more Bolting in this game. It evens it out more. But make sure it to call it "Trololol Bolting" or "B-b-b-bolting" like Interceptor suggested.

On a serious note, stupidest idea ever.

there's a difference between "hiding the changes" and "not blaring them in the OP so that people who want to be surprised can be"

explain to me how it is a terrible idea to make people who want to know have to expend the effort of two extra mouse clicks

Uh, you claim this is a balance patch but then there's this

KoTPic12.png

And Eirika is OHKOed in the Prologue. If anything, this is making Seth more broken as you rely on him more to get shit done.

I actually buffed the Bolting mage to set up a joke. He doesn't OHKO base Eirika in the current version. The sad part is the only people this buffed Bolting mage ended up OHKO'ing were Ross and Eirika; also, the mage is put in such a place that he's not really that big of a threat -- he's right by the boss, and is programmed never to move. >.>

As for O'Neill, that was actually from an earlier iteration of the patch. He has less STR and more SKL now.

EDIT: I've decided to make a more mild nerf to the Bolting mage and just buff Eirika's HP base, which I decided was a bit low compared to everybody else.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

I actually buffed the Bolting mage to set up a joke. He doesn't OHKO base Eirika in the current version. The sad part is the only people this buffed Bolting mage ended up OHKO'ing were Ross and Eirika

Sweet glorious victory! I've often thought Ross was too overpowering in the early game; this is exactly what's needed to pull his dominance down.

also, the mage is put in such a place that he's not really that big of a threat -- he's right by the boss, and is programmed never to move. >.>

So that he covers the area in which you're guaranteed to go through.

This makes him less of a threat, you say.

Sweet glorious victory! I've often thought Ross was too overpowering in the early game; this is exactly what's needed to pull his dominance down.

Ross has actually been largely improved over his current iteration. It's more the fact that I have to balance him as a trainee that makes him initially frail. He actually had large buffs in bases, including a 5 HP base increase (to 20 HP base). Because the Bolting mage has around 20 ATK or so now, Ross can be OHKO'd if he hasn't proc'd either HP or RES up to that point and doesn't use pure water. In my alpha-testing, very little OHKO's him, and I've found him pretty reasonable to train.

So that he covers the area in which you're guaranteed to go through.

This makes him less of a threat, you say.

Mainly because he can only OHKO (maybe) your frailest character and is stuck at the corner of the map, so that you can deal with every other enemy on the map save him, the boss, and one mountain thief who only attacks people in his range before you ever get in Bolting range.

You basically have almost full control when he attacks you, which makes it way less of an issue than you'd think. I wouldn't implement anything "cheap" like that.

I'm currently doing a bunch of alpha-testing and having somebody beta-test it before I release the initial patch. Mainly to quell any concerns about its difficulty, I'll be releasing v0.1 sooner than originally planned.

are you retarded

pYOb.png

he covers almost half the map

and this is assuming he's standing as far as possible from the player (top right corner, blue spot).

...And the only non-boss enemies there (or who aren't lured out of there 2-ranging you as you bust open the second wall) are a brigand and the Bolting mage.

At this point, whether the Bolting mage stays is pending feedback. But I'm saying it's not as bad as you think.

This is when we use the powers of mjemerzian and rig Res level ups on Eirika...

...Please take it out. I would say "okay" in maps like Chapter 8, but seriously this is way too fucking early for Bolting Mages. I can't have Mouldah and Vanessa tank hit after hit...

I'm not seeing the problem. It's not like the Bolting will target every single character in range of it, only a single character. The only way to make it highly hazardous is if entering the range of the Bolting entails entering the range of at least one other enemy unit, who otherwise cannot be engaged outside the zone of the Bolting. Thus making one anticipate two strikes, rather than a single strike from the Bolting.

Now if you can lure out the unit within there (within range of hand axe, comes after you), you wipe him out and then you flush in as many units as you like. Not even, as so long as you can get within that 3-range safe-zone, all you have to anticipate is the other enemy unit that might be in there with you (other than the boss).

Unless Bolting has a new range value now.

Please DON'T hide the changes. That was a fucking terrible idea, Kai!

No need to get your panties all up in a bunch now, I'm sure if you ask kindly, KOT will let you see them.

Now the Purge Bishop you replaced him with is way too hard.

Not only that, the ballista he has positioned near the throne room keeps OHKO'ing Vanesa >_<

Edited by Kaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Not only that, the ballista he has positioned near the throne room keeps OHKO'ing Vanesa >_<

Tbh, I'm surprised people mention this more than the three berserk staff priests stationed by the starting area.

What are you going to do with the Tower of Valni? Fill it with level 1 unpromoted monsters with capped stats?

I don't know, tbh. I'll leave it for last; it at least allows people to adjust the difficulty indirectly. Optimistically, I want it and the Ruins to pop up after the main story has been completed.

Unfortunately, while screwing with events, I completely wiped out the most recent version of the ROM by accident, so I'm spending a couple hours restoring the data (I have almost EVERY change I made documented on Word, go me~) before I can wrap up C5. Learned to back up my patch more often the hard way, I guess.

I know it seems like I've been doing little, but I've been refining the patch like crazy (playing each character, seeing how bases/growths/enemies/chapters need to be tuned, things like that) before I send out v0.1, which will likely go up to C6 instead of C8 as originally planned. I think the balance is actually pretty good, and I've been working hard to address issues alpha play-testers have risen.

My biggest issues right now are C2, which might be slightly undertuned, and C4, which might be slightly overtuned (although I find C4 to be my favorite so far, so I'm afraid to tamper with it). Once v0.1 goes out and I get more feedback, I'll know for sure.