Soul's FE7 character rating topic.

Junkhead

In this topic, I will obviously be rating characters. I would say this is a semi-effecient scenario, mostly because a few characters aren't effecient to be training, but are still assumed to have a chance. Take note that LHM will be assumed when rating a character that has previously went through it. It is indeed based on personal preference. But my personal preference would have to be biased towards what should be, instead of what I want (a.k.a The average player).

I'll be judging on how useful they can be, whether it's simple chipping or rescue-dropping.

Ratings around 5-6 would be considered "average".

!10: Sain (LHM)

9.5: Lyndis (LHM); Kent (LHM)

9: ;Ninian; Priscilla

8.8!: Sain (HHM); Raven

8.5: Kent (HHM); Florina (HHM);Matthew (HHM); Legault

8: Florina (L/HHM); Serra (HHM); Rath (LHM); Lowen; Hector; Pent

7.5: Serra (LHM);Erk (LHM); Lucius (L/HHM); Matthew (LHM); Harken

7: Erk (HHM); Canas; Isadora; Guy

6.5: Nils

6: Dorcas (LHM)

5.5: Lyndis (HHM)

5: Dorcas (HHM); Karel

4.5:

4: Wallace (LHM); Farina

3.5: Louise

3: Rebecca; Rath (HHM)

2.5: Bartre

2:

1.5: Wil (LHM)

1: Wallace (HHM); Wil (HM)

So I'll start with our very first character and Lord:

Lyndis (LHM)

Our first Lord, and the protagonist of her own during the first ten chapters of the game.

Let's talk about her offense first. Lyndis' offense great until the end of her mode, most because she is swordlocked in an axefest. And then because her amazing 9 base Spd, with only one Spd proc, garantees to double everything, maybe with the exclusion of some boss and Mercenaries. (Hell, there are even Mercs running around 5 AS early, and they won't gain enough AS later on to avoid getting doubled by her). At last, upon finishing Ch 2, she gets the Mani Katti, her personal weapon. Bearing great stats like 8 Mt/20 Crit; it boosts her offense to be one of the best of the team until Sain starts doubling or before Lucius arrives. With two Str procs she is pretty much secured to be 1RKO'ing enemies reliably without the need of a critical.

Lyndis' offense is meh, but not something to whine about either. She bears an unimpressive 70/20% respective HP and Def growths. Kinda lame, but not so bad, considering how much lamer are the enemies in this Mode. She gets 2HKO'd by every Brigand and Cavalier for most of her mode, and the former only in later maps, and aren't usual. The rest of the enemies, like Mercs and lolArchers 3HKO her. And there are even Mercs that 4HKO her, as early as Ch 3 & 4. But she isn't really ever worrying about enemies like Brigands, which despite 2HKO'ing her, bear poor Hit rates against her.

So she is one of the best offensive units in her own Mode for a long time before anyone not-named Lucius start 1RKO'ing, and gets ten chapters for level ups, which really helps her HHM perforamance.

9.5/10

HHM!Lyndis

HHM is rough on Lyndis. And I'm just being nice here, by assuming she went through LHM leveling coming out from there at least being lvl 10. It helps her on the offensive end, she is doing very similiar to Guy, except Guy knows what "durability" means.

Once promoted, she isn't outstanding in much. She has insane Spd and Skill, and that's about it. +3/5 Def/5 Res is a nice addition to her horrid durability, but it still doesn't help much. Also gains...bows. It's kind of helpful against the Wyerns at her promoting chapter, but she'll just be missing player phases with bows.

Her fastest and best support is with Florina, it's the fastest and FE7 and it gives her Atk and Crit, something which would come in handy as long as she bears a critical-based weapon. Other supports just aren't worth it, because they have better options as well as having faster options.

5.5/10

Edited by Soul

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Lyn deserves at least an 8 for LHM. But I agree with the 5.5 for HHM.

Lyn faces Brigands until she gets the Mani Katti (Glass usually goes to Sain unless someone else has a better strategy for anything better than a 5 turn clear). After that, she will double and kill almost everything that attacks her at 1 range. She destroys bosses like Bool and Yogi and is 1 of maybe 5 people (her, Dorcas, Erk, Lucius and anyone who has C swords which is realistically Matthew) who can actually damage Lundgren. In LHM, she has no real downsides as enemy hit rates suck. However, she isn't up to Sain or Kent's level of awesomeness in that mode.

Yeah, Lyn deserves at least an 8 for LHM. But I agree with the 5.5 for HHM.

Lyn faces Brigands until she gets the Mani Katti (Glass usually goes to Sain unless someone else has a better strategy for anything better than a 5 turn clear). After that, she will double and kill almost everything that attacks her at 1 range.

Well, what I thought that would seperate her from an exactly great score was the fact that she's pretty frail, but I guess I could get her up there...I'll see...because it's thanks to her that we get Geitz after all, at least she needs good credit for that, LHM is basically like a gift to her, this mode is in her favor by giving her lots of Brigands and easy enemies to face.

Yes, Sain is the best option to go against him, he reasonably 2RKOs Glass.

Edited by Soul

Well, what I thought that would seperate her from an exactly great score was the fact that she's pretty frail, but I guess I could get her up there...I'll see...because it's thanks to her that we get Geitz after all, at least she needs good credit for that, LHM is basically like a gift to her, this mode is in her favor by giving her lots of Brigands and easy enemies to face.

Yes, Sain is the best option to go against him, he reasonable 2RKOs Glass.

Since defense isn't something to worry about in LHM, I'd say the only thing keeping her from getting a 10 is her low Str base even though she has a pretty decent Str growth. No horse or 2 range also hurts for her. Other than that, she's basically perfect.

Kent and Sain have to get a 10 in LHM. Or Kent gets a 9.5 while Sain gets a 10. Once Sain gets enough Spd to double brigands, he ORKOs them. Kent 3HKOs them instead but doubles earlier.

Lyn faces Brigands until she gets the Mani Katti (Glass usually goes to Sain unless someone else has a better strategy for anything better than a 5 turn clear).

You can clear in 4 turns easily, in which Glass goes to either Sain or Kent.

You can clear in 4 turns easily, in which Glass goes to either Sain or Kent.

How? I've done that chapter about a hundred tries and I've never 4 turned it.

I personally think Lyn in LHM deserves at least 9, seriously. She may have average mobility and durability (At least compared to the Cavs), but she easily has the best offense as soon as you get the Mani Katti due to crit and always doubling. She's pretty much your best boss killer for the entire thing (some of which can be a real problem), and rescue-dropping is easy with 3 mounted units. She's essential for some low turn clears, like the 4 turn Chapter 4 and 2-3 turn Chapter 7. Besides, LHM enemies suck so much her durability should never be too much of a big deal, and it's not like Serra has much to do anyway. And the maps tend to be small enough and enemies close enough that mobility isn't really that big of a deal, at least not as much as in HHM.

Also, I don't know if you want to credit her for the Prologue since it's like a Seize argument, but Prologue.

I may or may not pursue this further after seeing Kent and Sain's scores. I honestly think she could be better than them since they tend to have trouble doubling, and don't always see as good offense even when doubling, but I definitely don't think they should be any more than 0.5 above her.

I may or may not pursue this further after seeing Kent and Sain's scores. I honestly think she could be better than them since they tend to have trouble doubling, and don't always see as good offense even when doubling, but I definitely don't think they should be any more than 0.5 above her.

Kent and Sain will start doubling by the middle of Chapter 4. Kent may even start as early as Chapter 3. They're basically moving tanks in LHM.

Also: Are you looking at this from a wide perspective? And by that: I mean assuming that character is going to be used every chapter starting from his/her starting chapter, what support scenarios are going to be used, and (obviously) how that character fares against enemies.

Kent and Sain will start doubling by the middle of Chapter 4. Kent may even start as early as Chapter 3. They're basically moving tanks in LHM.

Maybe mine just get screwed all the time, but my Cavs don't double consistently until late in LHM, or at all. They'll double some enemies, but not nearly on the level of Lyn.

And in any case, a doubling Kent still often loses offense to Lyn, and Sain takes longer to double.

I personally think Lyn in LHM deserves at least 9, seriously. She may have average mobility and durability (At least compared to the Cavs), but she easily has the best offense as soon as you get the Mani Katti due to crit and always doubling. She's pretty much your best boss killer for the entire thing (some of which can be a real problem), and rescue-dropping is easy with 3 mounted units. She's essential for some low turn clears, like the 4 turn Chapter 4 and 2-3 turn Chapter 7. Besides, LHM enemies suck so much her durability should never be too much of a big deal, and it's not like Serra has much to do anyway. And the maps tend to be small enough and enemies close enough that mobility isn't really that big of a deal, at least not as much as in HHM.

Also, I don't know if you want to credit her for the Prologue since it's like a Seize argument, but Prologue.

That is pretty true, the reason why I had her as low as 7 in the first place was because I thought others were going to think I was overrating her because of her durability, but it is pretty clear now that she isn't suffering in LHM, the problems arrive by the times she joins in HHM.

As for boss killing, even though she has an effective weapon against a few of them, I didn't think it would be too ideal to let her go at the first two Knight bosses and then that Paladin boss at Chapter 9, Eagler.

As long as Kent reaches lvl 4, with 8 AS, he'll double quite a few of them, there are very few Brigands with 5 AS, Sain can even double a few of the ones on the bottom-left corner of the map, they have around 2-3 AS.

Also: Are you looking at this from a wide perspective? And by that: I mean assuming that character is going to be used every chapter starting from his/her starting chapter, what support scenarios are going to be used, and (obviously) how that character fares against enemies.

Characters like Lyndis, Kent and Sain, yes. At least this is on their LHM performance, I mean, just why wouldn't you field Kent and Sain? And of course, Lyn is the Lord, she's just fundamental here. I do test how they fare against enemies, I am currently playing HHM and have copied a file for LHM so I am aware of the enemies' stats.

I'm not assuming that Sain and Kent aren't gonna be fielded though. (And honestly, who wouldn't field Sain and Kent anyways? I mean like, come on.) I'm talking about considering the possible support scenarios, and figuring out which is the most efficient. For example: Lyn has supports in Florina, Kent, Wil, Hector, Eliwood, Rath, and Wallace. Now we know that, if we're playing efficiently enough, she's not gonna want supports with Wil, Rath, and Wallace. That leaves the other four, all of whom that can give her a total of 3-5 Atk and 2 Def, 12-25 crit, and 5-12 avoid. It may not be much, but it helps as soon as the supports are built. (And I'm not counting the total +12-20 Acc and the total +12-25 crit evade, because of the simple facts that she never has trouble hitting anything, and her high luck should already be able to escape critical hits.)

Kent (LHM)

Kent is one of the two christmas knights you get in every FE, he is the rather balanced Cavalier who usually stands out a bit more at the Skill and Spd areas.

In LHM, he starts off with the worse offense until Ch 3, since Florina and Wil join. He gets beaten by Lyndis and Sain, Lyndis doubles, and Sain simply kills everything in two hits. Unlike Sain, Kent isn't reckless as to forget to bring a sword because he thinks it's unnecesary and it'll make him look more heroic if he uses a lance (Yay at free sword) so he's bearing WTA against most of LHM's enemies. It takes 3 hits for him to kill anything, and he isn't doubling, which makes his offense pretty meh at first, if it weren't for the fact he has swords. So what does he has in his favor? For one thing, he's mounted, then he has slightly better Spd than Sain, which would let him double reliably in a few levels and fix his offense. He is pretty great despite 3HKO'ing most enemies. Having great avaibility, being mounted and havng WTC gets him out of trouble.

HHM!Kent

Kent is back in HHM. And he isn't doing as great as he used to, but not too shabby either.

His offense is highly comparable to what it was at LHM. He 3HKO's most enemies, and his mounted utility comes more useful. His concrete durability also becomes important here, it's not great, but just about right (above average, I would say). So again, like in LHM, he will have to wait until his Spd kicks in before he can double reliably and make his offense decent. His offense is still above average, though, and it helps the fact he has a mount since HHM maps are a little bit bigger.

Kent's most viable support has to be with Sain, giving him all of the boosts they both need.

Edited by Soul

In LHM, he starts off with the worse offense until Ch 3, before he starts doubling, he gets beaten by Lyndis and Sain, Lyndis doubles, and Sain simply kills everything in two hits (if he doesn't miss due to WTD). Unlike Sain, Kent isn't be reckless as to forget to bring a sword because he thinks it's unnecesary and it'll make him look more heroic if he uses a lance, so he's having WTA against every enemy, much like Lyndis, problem is, he 3RKOs, like Lyndis, he kills everything in three hits (Well...he's killing Mercenaries and Archers in two hits, he's 1RKO'ing Archers and 2EKO'ing Mercenaries) because unlike Lyndis, he isn't doubling, that isn't happening until he at least reaches lvl 6, there are enemy Brigands with 5 and (rarely) ones with 6 AS, so he'll need to hit at least 9 AS before he starts doubling reliably, he is doubling some Brigand reinforcements who have a laughable 2-3 AS, but even then, Kent isn't onerounding them.

He's ORKOing most enemies starting from Chapter 5. The only reason why you don't think so is because you're thinking of the chapter 3/4 Brigands that have more HP than Soldiers. Starting from Chapter 5, Kent is probably your second best offensive unit (Sain is 1st).

So what does he has in his favor?

Well, he is has a good concrete durability, since he's also bearing WTA against a great part of the enemies he has good enough Avo against them to survive, and heck, even though his offense sucks, you might as well go and make him and Sain take turns on killing. Sain could weaken an enemy, Kent kills it, then do the oppisite and continue in that order...

So after he gets enough AS to double enemies reliably (Usually around 9) and gains some Atk (Around 1 or 2) he'll be able to kill most Brigands by himself, and he'll be 1RKO'ing Archers as he always did as well as 2RKO Mercenaries with Lances, so his offense doesn't get much better on enemies that aren't axe users, I still say that's good enough, seeing as they constitute a great part of the enemies earlygame. You might as well stick with the Kent and Sain combo, without this, beating Ch 4 would be impossible thanks to their tanking.

He also has a horse which gives him 7 move as opposed to 5 for just about everyone else with the exceptions of Sain, Rath and Matthew. His offense does not suck as he still has enough Att to ORKO almost any enemy after Chapter 4 since he easily hits level 5 during that chapter, giving ~8 Str with 9 AS (no AS penalty from Iron Lances).

Then there's his amazing availability which is great, not to mention the abundance of maps with mostly plains (3, 4, 6, 7, 7x, 8, 9). He will not die since he starts with 5 Def with a 25% growth rate... Honestly, I don't understand how Kent gets less than a 9. He should have a 9.5 while Sain gets a 10.

He's ORKOing most enemies starting from Chapter 5. The only reason why you don't think so is because you're thinking of the chapter 3/4 Brigands that have more HP than Soldiers. Starting from Chapter 5, Kent is probably your second best offensive unit (Sain is 1st).

What? How are either of them better offensively than Lyn? And again, maybe mine only got screwed or something, but I'm not used to seeing them ORKO consistently until later.

Honestly, I don't understand how Kent gets less than a 9. He should have a 9.5 while Sain gets a 10.

Unless Lyn goes up with him, I have to disagree. Of course, I think Lyn should go up anyway. And I also don't think Sain should get a higher score since, although he might be overall better, he doesn't really win by enough.

What? How are either of them better offensively than Lyn? And again, maybe mine only got screwed or something, but I'm not used to seeing them ORKO consistently until later.

Unless Lyn goes up with him, I have to disagree. Of course, I think Lyn should go up anyway. And I also don't think Sain should get a higher score since, although he might be overall better, he doesn't really win by enough.

Once Sain starts doubling, he ORKOs. He'll do this halfway through Chapter 4. Kent will start doubling in like Chapter 3 but he won't ORKO until about Chapter 5. I basically do the exact same thing every LHM run and that's what happens every time.

Sain

Sain is the...reckless knight out of the usual cavalier duo...like many of his reckless predecessors, he is rather average on Spd and Skill, but stands out in Str, and quite a bit actually.

His offense is tied with Lyn's until she gets the Mani Katti, but before that, he's killing everything in two hits, his only problem is he will have difficulty doubling, and he will have to get to level 9 before he can start doubling the important enemies, those are Brigands, but like I said, he's killing every enemy in two hits, whether they are Brigands or not, so it's not like doubling matters him this early.

His concrete and evasive durability is about tied with Kent's, they both have WTA against the enemies they're facing so that really helps them out.

What makes him better than Kent, as stated earlier, is the fact he 2HKO's right off the bat. So while neither are doubling, he has an offense lead. Not to mention how quick his offense picks up, he will be 1RKO'ing everything once he gets doubling. Combine that with the fact he has WTC, a mount and excellent avaibility makes him flawless. (Yes, not even Hit is a problem if he's relying on sword-usage 90% of the time in LHM)

HHM!Sain

If he has an advantage over Kent, Lyn and Wil here, it's his raw Strength. Only Marcus, Guy and Lyndis will be doubling. And while Lyn is one of those who doubles, her offense is poor. Kent's offense is pretty meh as well, except he only doubles Peggies that are weighted down, or weighted down Archers. So Sain does bring something new to the general group, which is his solid offense despite the lack of Spd to double, and hell, he even 2RKO's Armours with Lances- Only Marcus, him and Osw1n can do that! So he'll help against some midgame Wyerns you'll encounter.

Sain is an excellent candidate for a Speedwings, as it was his only stat with problems. That'll help him double pretty fast, and even have him surpass Marcus!

And as stated in Kent's support, he's his fastest support as well as the only one worth it. All other of his supports are pretty damn slow and don't exactly favor him with something he wants, he gets good enough Atk from a support with Kent already, and he's not suffering from any Hit problems unless he's encountering enemies in the wrong place of the field (such as forests).

!8.8

Edited by Soul

10. 10. 10.

Sain not getting a 10 for LHM is stupid. Especially when Kent is a 9 (should be 9.5). He ORKOs when he doubles (midway through Chapter 4), has a horse, ridiculous offense, amazing durability, an availability that matched only by Kent... Must I keep going?

And where are you getting these stats to double shit? Kent and Sain face Brigands in the south (Florina has dibs on the Mercenaries at the north-eastern corner). These are the same Brigands that Dorcas immediately doubles with his 6 Spd. Kent and Sain will start doubling all of them at level 4 (I'm starting to think that Kent doubles them from the beginning but I could be wrong) when Sain breaks 7 AS.

Edited by King Russell

I was also a bit curious about Sain's rating, so I quickly sped through LHM to look at enemy stats in the chapter I got Sain to lvl 8 in. I ended up at the beginning of 5. I favoured Sain quite a lot - Lyn was only at lvl 5 and Florina only at lvl 3, but in the end, I got Sain to a point in which he could double, admittedly borderline. In the chapter I came across only 1 brigand (not including the boss) that hit 6 spd.

Since Kent reaches 7 str at say lvl 3, he'll have around 1-1.5 chapters where Sain is beating him in offense (2HKO vs 3HKO) whilst Kent gets around 2 chapters where he beats Sain in offense.

This means that up to chapter 6, Kent is beating Sain by basically no margin. However, afterwards Sain begins to be able to 1RKO (or simply beat in offense) things that Kent cant, like Knights and some Bosses. Suddenly, the two cavaliers are now equal, maybe with Sain being a little better.

With this in mind, how the hell is Kent half a point in front of Sain? It should be the opposite, maybe equal if you really like Kent that much.

Sain not getting a 10 for LHM is stupid. Especially when Kent is a 9 (should be 9.5). He ORKOs when he doubles (midway through Chapter 4), has a horse, ridiculous offense, amazing durability, an availability that matched only by Kent... Must I keep going?

I'm going by averages here, the 2-4 AS Brigands come as reinforcements from the bottom-left corner, but those that are there right from the start have 5 AS, and there is only one in the south side of the map with 6 AS. So how is Sain getting a 10 when he doesn't double reliably until lvl 9? Like I said, this is going by averages, and I do agree Sain is just great once he starts doubling, but after Ch 4, Brigands will be having at least 5, this is usually at most, too.

And where are you getting these stats to double shit? Kent and Sain face Brigands in the south (Florina has dibs on the Mercenaries at the north-eastern corner). These are the same Brigands that Dorcas immediately doubles with his 6 Spd. Kent and Sain will start doubling all of them at level 4 (I'm starting to think that Kent doubles them from the beginning but I could be wrong) when Sain breaks 7 AS.

I think this is most probable in LNM, seriously. Unless something is wrong with my file, I don't see that happening looking at the Brigand's AS.

Edited by Soul

I didn't reply before because I didn't have the numbers myself, but if you want a change I think you need to start providing actual ingame statistical evidence.

EDIT: Sain should definitely be at least a 9, though. 10 might be pushing it. LHM doesn't really need a 10 imo.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire