Fun with Mega evolutions [Unova Starters + Hydreigon]

LuxSpes

This generation, game freak introduced mega evolution as a way to enhance pokemons that had little use in serious battling(sure the fact that scizor, garchomp and friends got a mega evo is somewhat dubious since these pokemons didn't need in anyway have more OP base stats). For example, Charizard, despite being a fan favorite was barely used, but the 2 new mega evos he got finally allowed him to shine in competitive battling.

Right now, we don't really know what the next mega evos will be(except maybe the Lati@s twins), but if we look at those we currently have, it's possible to see some sort of trend. For example, all the kanto starter and 1 hoenn starter got a mega evo and 2 pseudo-legendary also received one.

So the goal of this thread is for people to post their wish/thoughts on the potential mega evos of some pokemon. This is in no way a speculation thread since there's no proof except the 'pattern' I pointed out earlier that any pokemon will get mega evos.

I'd like people to have fun just thinking about mega evos, but just to be sure that there is a semblance of order, I'll establish some rules. First, only one pokemon will be discussed at any time and I'd like the suggestion to stay in the realm of possibilities(so no wonder guard mega swampert with a 200 stat boost to its BST). Usually, Mega-evos get a 100 boost to their BST and a retype is still related to the pokemon.

I'll announce in the OP as well as in the title the name of the pokemon and will let people talk about it for around 1 day, but change the duration depending on how may replies are made. I'll start with the starters followed by the pseudo-legendaries and then, I'll let people post suggestion for the next 'mega evo of the day'. If there is no consensus, I may create a poll and let people vote for the next topic pokemon.

250px-497Serperior.png250px-500Emboar.png

Serperior's current abilities are Overgrow and Contrary(hidden) Emboar's current abilities are Blaze and Reckless(hidden)

and its stats are 75 HP/75 Atk/95 Def/75 SpA/95 SpD/113 Spe and its stats are 110 HP/123 Atk/65 Def/100 SpA/65 SpD/65 Spe

250px-503Samurott.png250px-635Hydreigon.png

Samurott's current abilities are Torrent and Shell Armor(hidden) Hydreigon's current ability is Levitate

and its stats are 95 HP/100 Atk/85 Def/108 SpA/70 SpD/70 Spe and its stats are 92 HP/105 Atk/90 Def/125 SpA/90 SpD/98 Spe

Hope you have fun with this

Edited by LuxSpes

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been there; done that

maybe i'll put everything i have in the first post...

[spoiler=Sceptile]

Name: Sceptile-Mega
Type: Grass/Flying
Ability: Aerilate
Base Stat: [634]
70 HP
125 Attack
65 Defense
135 Sp Attack
85 Sp Defense
154 Speed

Exclusive Moves:
Air Cutter
Air Slash
Hurricane
Sky Drop
Fury Swipes
Razor Wind

for reference:

[spoiler=Swampert]

Name: Swampert-Mega
Type: Water/Ground
Ability: Mold Breaker
Base Stat: [634]
100 HP
156 Attack
120 Defense
95 Sp Attack
110 Sp Def
53 Speed

Exclusive Moves:
Earth Power
Stealth Rocks
Superpower
Giga Impact
Counter

Edited by Skitty of Time

type changes to grass/dragon, base stats "boosted" to 70/105/55/115/75/190, gains quick feet

speed was Sceptile's thing in the first place and this just juices it even further with slight additional benefits to its offensive stats. it gains an extra STAB with dragon claw/pulse (if transferred in) but the rest of its movepool still isn't anything amazing outside of focus miss. its defences take a dip and mega mawile/blaziken will shut it down with relative ease

Sceptile is based on a gecko. They have feet that can stick to any surface. They are also reptiles.

I know someone is going to throw out the Grass/Dragon combo, so I'm trying something different.

My idea for Mega Sceptile is as follows:

Grass/Dark. It becomes more based on a Ninja, which I think makes sense with the ability to stick to walls. Or Grass/Bug because Spiderman and spiders are bugs

New Ability: Adaptability

New stats: 70 HP / 115 Atk (+30) / 65 Defense / 135 Sp. Attack (+30) / 85 Sp. Defense / 160 Speed (+40)

Grass/Ground.

A lot bulkier, the seeds on his back have grown into protective thorns while his arms are covered in sharp leaves.

Height : 1,9 m

Weight : 110 kg

Ability : Rough Skin

70 HP/125 Attack(+40)/115 Defense(+50)/115 Sp. Attack(+10)/115 Sp. Defense(+30)/90 Speed(-30)

Gets Spiky Shield, Wood Hammer, Needla Arm, Pain Split, Rototiller.

Edited by Woodshooter

type changes to grass/dragon, base stats "boosted" to 70/105/55/115/75/190, gains quick feet

speed was Sceptile's thing in the first place and this just juices it even further with slight additional benefits to its offensive stats. it gains an extra STAB with dragon claw/pulse (if transferred in) but the rest of its movepool still isn't anything amazing outside of focus miss. its defences take a dip and mega mawile/blaziken will shut it down with relative ease

Pretty much this. Grass/Dragon for Sceptile would just be too badass.

Also this. Sceptile can also use outrage as dragon STAB.

I also find grass/dark appealing, though it should to get access to dark pulse even though it already has night slash.

Edited by Comet

Sceptile is based on a gecko. They have feet that can stick to any surface. They are also reptiles.

I know someone is going to throw out the Grass/Dragon combo, so I'm trying something different.

My idea for Mega Sceptile is as follows:

Grass/Dark. It becomes more based on a Ninja, which I think makes sense with the ability to stick to walls. Or Grass/Bug because Spiderman and spiders are bugs

New Ability: Adaptability

New stats: 70 HP / 115 Atk (+30) / 65 Defense / 135 Sp. Attack (+30) / 85 Sp. Defense / 160 Speed (+40)

I approve of this. Dark is the type I think would suit it most if it gained a second type. Grass/Dragon would be better suited to Serperior.

I was thinking that when we switch pokemon(as in when the topic changes for Swampert for example) I could make a poll with all the suggestion for the previous pokemon.

Anyway, my suggestion for Mega Sceptile would be, as many already did, to make him a Grass/Dragon. He always seemed like the type could fit him well(I used him in Sapphire with Dragon Claw as my main dragon slayer).

Mega Sceptile

Grass/Dragon

Ability: Adaptability

Stats: 70 HP/115 Atk(+30)/65 Def/145 SpA(+40)/85 SpD/150 Spe(+30)

Still keeps his status as a fast attacker, but he can now has the offensive stats to take advantage of his pretty good mixed movepool.

As for Mega Swampert:

Water/Ground

Ability: Sheer Force

Stats: 100 HP/130(+20) Atk/ 110(+20) Def/130 SpA(+45)/110(+20) SpD/55(-5) Spe

So the result is a slightly slower Swampert, but with more bulk and offensive potential. I boosted the SpA that much because most of the move that in Swampert's moveset that can benefit from sheer force are special(Muddy Water, Sludge Wave, Earth Power, Ice Beam).

Edited by LuxSpes

did someone say Swampert

well buckle up because you're in my court now

• still water/ground
  • sap sipper
  • 100/135/125/95/125/55 (that's +25atk/+35def/+10satk/+35sdef/-5spe)

this is pure wishful thinking but we're talking no weaknesses, free atk boosts from grass moves, built like even more of a tank than ever and capable of punching even more holes through everything. all it's missing is non-rest recovery. i know game freak will never be this generous to something in gen3 that's not Blaziken, but i can dream, right?

an alternative idea i've had is a faster swift swim build, based on how a) Swampert's dex entries always talk about it swimming as fast as a jet ski and b) i'm still crying over it getting fucking damp of all things for a hidden ability, but idk i've grown more fond of the sap sipper idea

did someone say Swampert

well buckle up because you're in my court now

• still water/ground
  • sap sipper
  • 100/135/125/95/125/55 (that's +25atk/+35def/+10satk/+35sdef/-5spe)

this is pure wishful thinking but we're talking no weaknesses, free atk boosts from grass moves, built like even more of a tank than ever and capable of punching even more holes through everything. all it's missing is non-rest recovery. i know game freak will never be this generous to something in gen3 that's not Blaziken, but i can dream, right?

an alternative idea i've had is a faster swift swim build, based on how a) Swampert's dex entries always talk about it swimming as fast as a jet ski and b) i'm still crying over it getting fucking damp of all things for a hidden ability, but idk i've grown more fond of the sap sipper idea

I thought of sap sipper, because who doesn't like a pokemon with no weaknesses, but I was thinking to myself that it would never happen because game freak only gives fire types starters good abilities. And a mega-evolution with Swift Swim would be more reasonable and in the realm of possibilities(seriously, who the hell thought Damp was a good idea, especially after Explosion and Self-Destruct got nerfed. At least it's not as bad as giving levitate to a flying pokemon or insomnia to a pokemon with vital spirit

Water/Ground.

Muscular with a sleeker design and a padded chest.

Height : 1,6 m

Weight : 100 kg

Ability : Mold Breaker

100 HP/120 Attack(+10)/130 Defense(+40)/85 Sp. Attack/120 Sp. Defense(+30)/80 Speed(+20)

Gets Aqua Tail, Aqua Jet, Agility, Focus Punch, Drain Punch, Magnitude and Fissure.

My Mega Swampert.

Ability: Analytic (Well, probably some renamed version to sound more physical, but I'm not really creative at 1am)

Stats:

100 HP / 150 Atk (+40) / 130 Def (+40) / 105 SpA (+20) / 110 SpD (+20) / 40 Speed (-20)

Swampert has always been that slow and bulky starter to me. So I beefed the defenses, made it slower, and gave it an ability to benefit being slower.

Personally I think Swampert would be cool as a big bulky tank.

Water/Ground

Ability: Water Absorb or Hydration

Stat spread: 100 HP/135 ATK(+25)/135 DEF(+45)/95 SP.A(+10)/120 SP.DF(+30)/40 SPD(-20)

Doesn't gain much power but Hydration would make him a good addition for a rain team, whereas Water Absorb basically makes Swampert completely supplant Quagsire's use as a bulky monster who gets a couple free switch-ins against certain mons. Also, I hope that Aqua Jet gets added as an egg move, though. There aren't that many stall megas aside from Venusaur right now.

Mega Swampert

Ability: Huge Power (Some of it's pokedex entries mention being able to tow large ships while swimming, so this make sense to me)

Base Stats: HP: 100, Attack: 135(+25), Defense: 120(+30), Special Attack: 85, Special Defense: 120(+30), and Speed: 40(-20)

Mudkip would gain Aqua Jet and Swords Dance as Egg Moves.

Edited by Kamina

Damp Swampert would be such a perfect idea of Explosion did not get the nerf

Mega Swampert

Ability: Simple

BST:

HP: 100

ATK: 155(+45)

DEF: 125(+30)

SPA: 85

SPD: 105(+25)

SPE: 60

Get Aqua Jet

Theres pretty much no way to make Swampert as viable as it was two gens ago. If I want a bulky Water, I want one that actually do something beside "use Stealth Rock". It also lacks reliable recovery, and its typing is terrible(no weakness is useless if you only have like one relevant resistance).

The other Water/Ground, namely Quagsire have the derp ability Unaware, so lets give Swampert yet another derp ability in simple! +2 in one turn of set up is amazing. But then again, aside from Defense boost this Mega Pert is basically SD Aegislash and SD Aegislash is garbage

155 Attack is the same as most Mega Evolution rule of "Attack increase is weaker than Life Orb". More bulk just because

No idea for Sceptile though. Like, its supposed to be an attacker but it have Grass type. Unless your Skymin, thats never gonna work

Edited by JSND

Mega Swampert

Ability: Early Bird

Hp: 100

Atk: 130 (+20)

Def: 130 (+40)

Spa: 85

SpD: 130(+40)

Spe: 60

Semi reliable recovery with Early Bird Rest. Most of it's stats are focused on defenses.

Sceptile's going to need a unique ability since it's never going to work with the current pool of abilities (unless we give it something op like Huge Power or Adaptability).

I nominate Toxicroak and Cloyster as the first Pokemon we do when we're done with the Starters and Pseudo Legendaries.

updated first post

@sap sipper

sounds really interesting but stupidly overpowered because of the lack of weaknesses

i suppose a mold breaker grass type, but do we even have one of those?

edit: apparently mold breaker doesn't even go through sap sipper wtf

I highly recommend we don't do all the starters at once since people might get sick of coming up with Mevos for Grass, Fire and Water types.

Why don't we do the Hoenn pseudolegends next while we're here?

It should. You tested it yourself? Perhaps that got changed from Generation 5 to 6.

It doesn't go through Justified or Rattled since those don't grant an immunity.

I just looked on serebii, it wasn't listed.

Haven't checked ingame though(I think the only thing that gets a grass move and mold breaker is like pancham)

okay only 2 gen 6 mold breaker pokemon have access to grass moves so it was pointless in gen5 because nothing with mold breaker had access to grass moves

edit 2: sawk and throh could use grass knot too so i'm confused

Edited by Skitty of Time

I highly recommend we don't do all the starters at once since people might get sick of coming up with Mevos for Grass, Fire and Water types.

Why don't we do the Hoenn pseudolegends next while we're here?

Eh, why not.

I'll update the OP and the next batch could be Dragonite+ Johto starter.

I just looked on serebii, it wasn't listed.

Haven't checked ingame though(I think the only thing that gets a grass move and mold breaker is like pancham)

okay only 2 gen 6 mold breaker pokemon have access to grass moves so it was pointless in gen5 because nothing with mold breaker had access to grass moves

edit 2: sawk and throh could use grass knot too so i'm confused

It is listed on Bulbapedia though. Can't say I really tried with either of them since they can't use Grass Knot very well.

Edited by Woodshooter

Mega Salamence

Dragon/Flying

Ability: Mold Breaker(No idea to put here really, Moxie or Intimidate could stay since they're already good abilities)

95 HP/155(+20) Atk/100(+20) Def/140(+30) SpA/80 SpD/130(+30) Spe

It still allows him to run a dangerous mixed set and give a good speed boost and a little more defense.

Mega Metagross

Steel/Psychic

Ability: Levitate

80 HP/175(+40) Atk/ 150(+20) Def/95 SpA/130(+40) SpD/70 Spe

Levitate is here because the pokedex entries mention it levitates, he levitates when he comes into battle and his 2 pre-evos levitate(contrast to gengar who levitate while having both feet on the ground). More seriously, it gives him an immunity to Ground which is appreciated, especially when you consider the 2 new weaknesses he got this gen. He gets more attack and more defense, becoming quite bulky on the special side.