My Thoughts on the New Smash Direct

Alex95

The final Nintendo Direct dedicated to Super Smash Bros.​ has just finished. And I am very... confused.

The first thing they revealed was Corrin, the avatar character for the upcoming Fire Emblem Fates. Much like how Roy was put into Melee to promote his upcoming game, Corrin is doing the same. And just like Robin, we can choose between male and female variants. Their attacks look strong and makes great use of the dragonblood lineage they hold. I can see him becoming a great fighter.

Up next was Cloud. While we already knew about him, they showed off more of his moves. Limit Break builds up the same way as Little Mac's KO meter and his attacks become more powerful. Then, in probably the ultimate troll move from Nintendo, they showed one of the most anticipated characters, Geno...as a Mii Fighter costume... I suppose I can deal with that.

What I can't deal with is the final character they revealed (and the final character overall): Bayoneta. This succubus-like witch was revealed to be the NUMBER ONE WINNER OF THE ROSTER! Really? Sure, she looks like a great character to fight with and all, but seeing as she came from an M rated game, I won't be able to play the game anymore without my parents coming in, seeing her move around, and go "Nope! Turn it off!" Probably the worst move ever on Nintendo's part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she could be a great fighter, but with the pending release of Bayoneta, Smash has just lost whatever family-friendly appeal it had left. Corrin and Bayoneta were not my first choices, but I'm skeptical. I half-expected Corrin, so I'll get him and Cloud, but I'll pass on Bayoneta. Honestly, Fire Emblem didn't need another rep, as good as it looks. I would've much rather preferred Mario's Princess Daisy or Golden Sun's Isaac (they at least wouldn't look "fanservice-y"). I'm not saying I hate these newcomers just because I didn't vote for them, but with no more characters coming up any time soon, Wolf, Snake, Daisy, Impa, Isaac... they're all... just... gone.

So, yeah. Hate me if you want. Cloud's cool, Corrin's alright, Bayoneta is just... yeesh.

Edited by Power Master

I didn't vote for Bayonetta but I honestly don't find her that bad. That being said I'm totally adding Corrin to my list of mains once he comes out... assuming I can get the money to buy him anyways.

I just feel like this is not how DLC support for Smash 4 should end, there's some sort of dissatisfaction.

Yes, some characters I would've loved to see are missing, but most importantly, we're still missing more neutral stages and to end it with a newcomer to promote the recent FE game?

Out of all the fan-favourite characters in 25 YEARS of the franchise? (Before anyone says anything, this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with my view on Fates.)

However, I must say, the good thing that came from this direct was Bayonetta. (Eventhough the looks OP as hell.. I mean, seriously... HOLY!)

You realize that if you don't download her, she won't appear in your game OP?

No, she will if you play people online, because some people WILL download her and play as her. It's the one reason I'm upset about Bayonetta too.

My only problem is Corrin, despite being a FE fan. It just seems like a b*tch pull from Sakurai and his FE boner. I do enjoy the creativity, and what this'll bring to competitive. I still think it's quite cheap showing Final Yato off, a lot of what the Dragon Form does and before the west even plays it. All I can say is... "Bruh." I'm sceptical.

As for the Ballot Winner. I'm was certain it was going to be a strong and famous good decided character for Smash. I voted Banjo and Kazooie, but I'm happy that our fateful witch, Beyonetta, is going to be playable with a DMC stylish moveset. And I haven't played any of her games, but I think this is just good. Not Climactic that Beyonetta hoped for, but not a disappointment.

I would have preferred other characters such as Isaac or Impa (seriously, we have more FE characters than Zelda characters) but the new characters look well made, at any rate. Props to them for making Kamui's moveset interesting.

EDIT: I don't see how Bayonetta is more of a deal breaker than Zero Suit Samus. In a frantic Smash battle, you'll hardly notice the stripping. How conservative can people be?

Edited by NekoKnight

Agreed, Bayonetta doesn't appear to be much worst than having ZS Samus. I doubt they're going to include some of the more sexual things from her game, and well, it's not like Snake was a family friendly character either. Ultimately she's an optional fighter that must be bought and if a parent is truly concerned about kids seeing bad things online, they wouldn't be letting them play Smash online. Pretty sure the Miiverse stage on Smash and user submitted art in Splatoon has been more inappropriate than anything they'll have for Bayonetta in Smash.

I am happy with Bayonetta, I voted for her because she is such a great fighter, I love her games and they toned her down a bit for Smash. I agree with people above saying she is about as bad as ZS Samus. Honestly the trailer was very toned down and it looks like you will only be able to see her bare arms and legs when you use some moves, trust me Nintendo won't let Bayonetta be that bad because of the rating Smash has. If your family has a problem with bare arms and legs then I guess most games would be a problem for you.

The final Nintendo Direct dedicated to Super Smash Bros.​ has just finished. And I am very... confused.

The first thing they revealed was Corrin, the avatar character for the upcoming Fire Emblem Fates. Much like how Roy was put into Melee to promote his upcoming game, Corrin is doing the same. And just like Robin, we can choose between male and female variants. Their attacks look strong and makes great use of the dragonblood lineage they hold. I can see him becoming a great fighter.

Up next was Cloud. While we already knew about him, they showed off more of his moves. Limit Break builds up the same way as Little Mac's KO meter and his attacks become more powerful. Then, in probably the ultimate troll move from Nintendo, they showed one of the most anticipated characters, Geno...as a Mii Fighter costume... I suppose I can deal with that.

What I can't deal with is the final character they revealed (and the final character overall): Bayoneta. This succubus-like witch was revealed to be the NUMBER ONE WINNER OF THE ROSTER! Really? Sure, she looks like a great character to fight with and all, but seeing as she came from an M rated game, I won't be able to play the game anymore without my parents coming in, seeing her move around, and go "Nope! Turn it off!" Probably the worst move ever on Nintendo's part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she could be a great fighter, but with the pending release of Bayoneta, Smash has just lost whatever family-friendly appeal it had left. Corrin and Bayoneta were not my first choices, but I'm skeptical. I half-expected Corrin, so I'll get him and Cloud, but I'll pass on Bayoneta. Honestly, Fire Emblem didn't need another rep, as good as it looks. I would've much rather preferred Mario's Princess Daisy or Golden Sun's Isaac (they at least wouldn't look "fanservice-y"). I'm not saying I hate these newcomers just because I didn't vote for them, but with no more characters coming up any time soon, Wolf, Snake, Daisy, Impa, Isaac... they're all... just... gone.

So, yeah. Hate me if you want. Cloud's cool, Corrin's alright, Bayoneta is just... yeesh.

Lol. You got 2 months. Play as much as you can before you gotta worry about mom busting in the room and happening upon a Bayonetta strip taunt.

she's not even that bad

here she stays fully clothed

why do you think people are complaining :awesome:

http://imgur.com/KEPAzasBayonetta is fiiinnneeeeee~

not to mention a strong and confident woman who's super badass.

but i suppose others would want thier dead series male characters like Issac or meme characters like Shovel Knight

some of us just don't care for her game and would prefer others. insults don't reaaally need to play a part in this.

idk my least favorite part about bayo in smash is that her playstyle looks like ZSS style air wobbles turned up to 11 + a stupid counter

her stage looks nice and she'll probably be really fun to play as I just dislike playing against such characters

meanwhile korin looks hella fun and has great alts nobias (lack of thigh window on femui, too!)

...but seeing as she came from an M rated game, I won't be able to play the game anymore without my parents coming in, seeing her move around, and go "Nope! Turn it off!" Probably the worst move ever on Nintendo's part.

...but with the pending release of Bayoneta, Smash has just lost whatever family-friendly appeal it had left.

I think you're blowing it out of proportion. Consider the insane amount of E-rated content in Smash, compared to a single optional DLC cameo who just so happens to be from an M-rated game. And they even toned her down a bit. That wouldn't even bump the rating to a T.