night-emblemer

I'm not the biggest fan of Avatar, while it is without a doubt a technical masterpiece with a beautifully crafted world. I think the story contained a lot of plot holes and I believe that the main character is a somewhat unbelievable character. Instead of trying to make diplomatic connections to avoid a war. He keeps both sides guessing, with many wrong assumptions as a result... You could say that his hormones were more important than common sense in many cases. While I'm aware that the movie is trying to send a massage of the importance of nature and tolerance towards other cultures, I can't help but feel disconnected towards the illogical actions of our main character. I watched the movie quite some while ago, and since I lost interest halfway through many aspects of this move are rather vague in my mind. I even had to look up the name of the male lead, since I had forgotten his name. If you're going to spent millions on a movie, make sure the story stays interesting and believable. But that is just my humble opinion.

Edited by Masterthunderblade

Um... Is this about Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra or that movie called Avatar that was about really tall blue people? Please specify...

I wasn't crazy about that movie, but The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra are okay. I loved Sokka and Zuko. The former is hilarious while the latter is one of the best written cartoon characters I've ever seen. He's badass and he grows and learns so much. I hate the fanbase though. I heard that they actually wrote harsh hatemail to the creators for not doing Zuko x Katara. How low and stupid can you go? (Zuko was already with Mai...)

I don't ship that pairing, btw. But I don't really ship Aang and Katara either. They were just awkward to me. Not because their skin colors are different or anything though. I'm probably in a tiny minority that hoped Jet and Katara would be a thing. I mean, she even seemed to develop feelings for him cause she blushed at him when he carried her off! But then...

Jet got killed after playing a hero. ;_;

But at least we got Sokka and Suki, as they were adorbs. ^^

In Korra, I liked Mako and Bolin. Bolin is really funny. lol Tenzin has some really funny moments too, and this show just has some of the funniest facial expressions I've ever seen. XD And yet... WHY WAS THERE NO MENTION OF SUKI? Sokka surely would've married her and had kids with her! Why didn't we hear anything about that? :(

Edited by Anacybele

I was also confused when I first hit this thread, we talking about the James Cameron film or the TV show on Nick? Referring to the OP, I would infer this thread would be about Avatar: The Last Airbender because the mention of 'series', but then OP said 'out of the blue' lol.

Um... Is this about Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra or that movie called Avatar that was about really tall blue people? Please specify...

I wasn't crazy about that movie, but The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra are okay. I loved Sokka and Zuko. The former is hilarious while the latter is one of the best written cartoon characters I've ever seen. He's badass and he grows and learns so much. I hate the fanbase though. I heard that they actually wrote harsh hatemail to the creators for not doing Zuko x Katara. How low and stupid can you go? (Zuko was already with Mai...)

(If you haven't finished the series, don't read the spoiler)

Sokka and Zuko made the show for me lol. I have a lot favorite episodes in the series:One was when Sokka was being trained by a sword expert and he was finally getting some time as a character. I wanted to cry for Sokka when he lost his sword on the season finale. Another one was when Zuko was traveling alone w/out his uncle and came upon a village that was under the thumb of earth-bending mercernaries. Oh man... Zuko messed them up pretty good, and that episode was pretty important to his character development (but nothing beats the episode where he joins Aang's group). I'm sounding like a broken record but the episode where Zuko was helping Katara track down her Mom's killer, that was really good yo.

Don't worry, I've seen all of The Last Airbender because my brother had it all on DVD. :P (didn't watch all of Korra tho. I didn't have enough interest, even though I did rather like what I saw)

Yeah, all that stuff was good! I wanted to tear up when Sokka lost his sword too, but then he said "good bye, space sword..." and that made me chuckle. lol I always liked the "space sword" thing since the material he used to make it actually did come from outer space. XD I also like that not only is Sokka funny, but he's surprisingly really smart!

Edited by Anacybele

Avatar: The Last Airbender is a big part of my childhood (even though I didn't watch Season 3 until years after the fact) so there's lots of nostalgia there for me (I even rewatched it two times). It's really good, Lord Raven mentioned that he didn't like how it was episodic but I felt like that added to the scope of the series. I mean, yeah, some episodes weren't as entertaining as others but overall it was a good time and didn't feel quite as rushed as Legend of Korra. Off the top of my head, my favourite characters are Toph, Zuko, Sokka, and Iroh. I appreciate how many dank meme characters this series has.

The Legend of Korra is okay. The animation is stellar, a marked step up from the first season and it really makes the fights feel cool as hell. I dig the setting so much and the atmosphere the series conveys...for the most part. As far as the actual plot and characters go, though, I'm not really as attached to it as the first season (talking about the second season as I'm still watching the last two seasons). It feels way too rushed (as previously mentioned) and there's not enough time to get to know everyone and their motivations/interests. The love lives of the characters feels much more poorly handled and acts as a detriment to my enjoyment as opposed to the first series where it was mostly in the background. I feel like this series is much better at handling family ties over that sort of thing, as those often make up some of my favourite moments. Off the top of my head, my favourite characters are Bumi, Korra, Bollin, Varrick, Tenzin, and Iroh (totally counts). We'll see how the last two seasons pan out for me.

Also the two episodes wherein they showcased the story of the very first Avatar were awesome.

EDIT Meelo is definitely one of my favourite characters in Korra, totally forgot about him FSR. Honestly, I'm sure that I forgot some people from the original series as well, whoops.

Edited by Refa

Don't worry, I've seen all of The Last Airbender because my brother had it all on DVD. :P (didn't watch all of Korra tho. I didn't have enough interest, even though I did rather like what I saw)

Yeah, all that stuff was good! I wanted to tear up when Sokka lost his sword too, but then he said "good bye, space sword..." and that made me chuckle. lol I always liked the "space sword" thing since the material he used to make it actually did come from outer space. XD I also like that not only is Sokka funny, but he's surprisingly really smart!

Oh god, I remember back in elementary school they were selling books about Avatar:LA at a book fair, spent all my cash on it and I was supposed to get books on a... higher reading level lol. I never watched Legends of Korra as well, like I've jumped around a few episodes to get a gist of the characters are (I hope the love triangle isn't corny) but I wasn't committed to it. I feel like I would like Legends of Korra more since it looks like Avatar:LA but more mature and each episode contributes to the plot-line. Idk what reason(s) are holding me back from watching it lol.

This was an old episode but do you remember the one where Aang, Katara, Sokka and a group of performers got separated in a giant tunnel? I was more interested in how Sokka wasn't going to end himself while he was traveling with all the dancers, as opposed to every scene that shifted towards Aang & Katara lol. That episode taught Young Slade the concept of facepalming back then... Just talking about Avatar makes me really want to go back and watch all 3 seasons again lol.