Improving FEXP Engine.

Lord Wolfram

Well I am working on my FEXP game. However I need to improve FEXP engine.

But I can't do that alone. I know you may say Wait for FEXNA but FEXP isn't bad engine. And more WE can use it TODAY.

Right now I am planing to add Dancer class in this game.

It's not like I haven't done anything.

def can_heal?(target)

if self.heals?
return true if !@ready=false

I was making small tests with heal staff. This was done so far with small help from Pawnagekirby. She deserves some credit too.

Well All we must do is to make dance command. It activates when ready=false and dance will make ready=true.

I have tried to do this for some time but I failed. So now I ask your help.

FEXP used Programming Language "Ruby"

Just in case. I couldn't figure out which topic would suit this so I posted it here since FEXNA beta topic is here.

Edited by Lord Wolfram

It's more complicated that just cloning the heal command and making a Dance one. You also have to figure out how to properly code what dance DOES... which is fundamentally different than heal. Heal restores HP of a set amount + Mag. Dance has the complexity of enabling a unit to act again. I couldn't even begin to tell you how to reverse the code that tells the game the unit finished their turn.

Then again, my FEXP hacking has been extremely minor.

To think of it. Well it can be done using Heal script as base. Than change the command Staff to Dance next. change minor things like song and in the end in those lines where script tells to restore HP write to give extra turn. Pretty simple at one point but. What must be changed? which scripts must be changed. that's what holds me back. Simple and yet it's not that easy.

How would you write a script that gives an extra turn though? It's not anywhere near as simple as you try to make it sound.

You would need to understand the core mechanics of the engine... how turns work... how the script handles ending turns... and even if you find all that and understand what the code is doing, you still need to figure out how to reverse the process so the turn comes back.

Trust me. Even if I found you all of the areas where all of the Heal staff code was handled, you wouldn't be able to do this just with that information. You would need to understand all these little things that Yeti scripted in order to force RMXP to do things far outside its normal functions and somehow rig it to play like Fire Emblem.

i would assume the "PC_Unit" class has a bool attribute for "turn_ended" or something of the sort; my hunch is that it would be as simple as toggling that

Edited by CT075

Today I talked with my teacher about this Game and he told me That in unit script There DEFINITELY must be lines which makes unit to stop. I found those lines.

Line 2721

def end_turn
if !@ready
@needs_refresh = true
end
@ready = true
end

Once turn has ended Units are refreshed right? This is what makes them do so.
So far that is clear. So The thing is to make it into skill. Add new command like steal.
Pretty simple but not easy.
Edited by Lord Wolfram

Somebody worked on Fexp and improved it, I think it was Galleom. But he didn't release his improvements so..:) Many things were added in it.

Anyway, I can't do anything on it, so if you want to improve it, good job. :)

A shame that wasn't released. It might make my prep work a bit easier, depending on what was added. Ultimately, I'm gonna make my game in FEXNA, but until that comes out...

I'm not very good with FEXP either. I mean, I did manage to added Knives to the game, but on the other hand, I can't even get animations to play for female units (which is something that was supposedly supported in it already) xp

I can't even get animations to play for female units

Actually.... That can be done easy. First you must have animation and than... there is one minor thing to do. if you wish to know how I can tell you directly but that's up for you.

Well I am improving FEXP engine for personal use. I.E For my Game "The Adventures of Lord Wolfram". But if I will be able than I will make separate FEXP engine with improvements I plan to make. like Dancer, Longbows (Thing which is done in my Ragefest) World map event's (I can't tell you how am I going to make it.) Preparation screen. That's it for now. Any help is good for me. even a little.

Well of course you have to have the animation... o.o that was pretty obvious. And it seems like it would be easy, but I'm clearly missing something.

For example, let's say I wanted to have a female thief. I have a sprite sheet formatted exactly like the male thief in there but with female thief sprites instead. I named it Thief-Sword1.png. In the setup for the character, I made sure her Gender value was 1. Works for the map sprites that I also made sure to include, but it doesn't acknowledge that there are battle animations at all. After further investigation, I found it was throwing the error that it couldn't find Graphics/Battlers/Name. I looked in my Battlers folder and noticed every class had a file here as well. There was a Thief0.png, so I added a Thief1.png. That did nothing. Still says there's no file there.

So no, it's not easy. And no there isn't just one minor thing to do. I've done 3 minor things so far that seem necessary and it still doesn't work.

As for stuff you want, Longbows sound like the easiest. Like I said, I've added new weapon types before. I'm sure I could pull off that much.

I am ready to try and fix this issue. Just send me the project. I promise that I won't use any of your files. Once I fixed it and tested than I will resend you the game. How long it will take? I can't say because it depends on how fast you will send me it.

Because by what you told I feel like I must see everything myself.

Or you can do this.

1. Grab new engine and redo the process.

2. ...wait a minute!

I named it Thief-Sword1.png.

What? Look at this. We write animation names like this! "Thief0-Sword" and "Thief1-Sword"

Tell me if that worked else send me game. I can't come up with anything else.

Misspoke. It's Thief1-Sword. The exact same format as the original Thief animation file. This can't be the only step in the process. Every single sheet I added as Class1-Weapon does NOT play an animation in the engine. Clearly there's more to it than that. Have you actually gotten it to work yourself? What are the exact steps you followed?

Anyway, I'll be nice and tell you a bit about Longbows.

The first thing you'll want is to create a new Element named something like "2-3 range" the name doesn't really matter, it's just to keep track of it. Assign this element to any long bows as well as the typical Bow category and all that. In the scripts, go to Items and look for Range_Types. In this array, you can put the ID number of the element for the "2-3 range" element you created (51 for example) => [8, '2-3']. Why 8? because it's not in use yet. Now they key is making sure that every reference to battle ranges knows that this newly defined ranged type 8 is a 2-3 range. You can do it much the way the ballista type (20) is set to do 3-10.

That should at least get you started, but if you need deeper details, I can go into my game and set it up myself and give you the step-by-step.

Edited by Crazy Li

I was giving it a while for though and i decided that I won't add Dancers.

Right Now I plan to make Preparation Screen.

well If someone had made Something like Prep screen in FEXP than please Share me with your Experience and even more with Scripts if Possible.

• 2 months later...

Oh Gosh. It's not only Necropost but also Double post...

Before you comment remember I don't want hear words: Wait for FEXNA!
Recentl'y I was looking for a way to make some events in map and I run into something like this... 2529438537a53b53ddd91725c1412dd1.png
Nice huh? Well the problem is that it's nonfunctional. But I will try to remake it into this
prepar10.png
Well the one who will help me code it will have the rights to use the modified script. As a reward I will publish this script for free use.
Note to Yeti: The Blue BG is in Super FEXP official release.
Edited by Lord Wolfram