A new all-in-one GBA graphics and palette editor

Nintenlord

GBA Graphics Editor has finally arrived!

Download

Questions, criticism and etc can be posted on this topic. I suggest reading the README before asking questions, though.

Screenies:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x309/Ni...icsEditor-1.png
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x309/Ni...hicsEditor2.png

Note that you need .NET 2.0 or Mono 2.0 to run this program.

Edited by Primefusion
Fixing links and images

The best kind of hackers are the ones that write programs to make editing easier and then release for others.

You are that hacker.

Congratulations.

Edited by Lachesis

While it should be a given, you did edit other games with your utility, to ensure compatibility, right? Specifically I'm talking about the "now you can edit compressed palettes" bit.

All I've ever seen in your screens are Fire Emblem :/

I did some small testing with Pokèmon Emerald, and it works with it. I don't see much room for compatibility problems since, unless GBATEK is lying to me, palette, graphics and LZ77 format this utility works with are all universal for GBA.

Awesome.

The best kind of hackers are the ones that write programs to make editing easier and then release for others.

You are that hacker.

Congratulations.

Summed it up perfectly.

Does anyone have any problems with palette editing? I released a bug-fix 6 days ago, so make sure you have the version 1.1 before reporting. It's quite a bit less tested than graphics editing, so suggestions and feedback would be much appreciated.

Does anyone have any problems with palette editing? I released a bug-fix 6 days ago, so make sure you have the version 1.1 before reporting. It's quite a bit less tested than graphics editing, so suggestions and feedback would be much appreciated.

I've read the read me, but I still can't figure out how to change pallette's.

First you need to figure out the offsets of the graphics and the palette. If you want to edit portraits, the Portrait Editor Modules made by flyingace24 are very useful, as they tell the offset of the graphics and palette. If you just want to get the hang of this, just copy the offset from the picture below.

The basic way to edit palette's is:

-Open the ROM you wish to edit in GBA Graphics editor. If it asks about scanning, say yes or OK.

-Write the offsets into proper places. See picture below for details.

-In Color Control, click on the colour you wish to edit and change the Red, Green and Blue values until the color has changed into what you want.

-Repeat the last step for other colors you wish to edit.

-Click the "Write to ROM" button on the Color Control. If you skip this step or do something with Palette or Image Control after editing colors and before this step, YOU WILL LOSE THE CHANGES YOU MADE.

-In the File menu, click either Save or Save As... to save the changes you made into a ROM. I recommend using Save As..., as it creates a new ROM for the changes, leaving the original file intact (unless you tell the editor to overwrite it...).

-Play the edited ROM in VBA and notice the changes.

GBAGraphicsEditor3.png

I love the tutorial, thanks. but I can't find the FE7 portrait editor modules.

I can and need help finding those

And, how do you change battle pallettes?

Edited by Ranger

You can get Portrait editors from here.

Battle palette's are a bit more complicated since they are compressed and there are both generic and personal palette's. It's the same process, but you need check the "Compressed ROMpalette" after you input the palette offset and make sure you edit all identical colours the exact same way.

You are that hacker.

Congratulations.

Exactly, I find it much more enjoyable with programs such as these.

Thanks a billion Nintenlord. Now I can screw around with the characters portraits to my hearts content! And imagine that I quoted all of the above about how your an awesome hacker.

Edit : messed with it for about an hour. So far I'm a nub. I've just tried something simple exactly as you did it. Editing eliwoods hair. So I wanted it blue for some reason. I downloaded that Portrait Editor module, got all the info from it (plus I just used the numbers from your pic as soon as I realized they were the same). I would hit write to rom, save/save as (tried both) on the editor. Close the editor, started the game and Eliwood still had red hair. Any help? (I'll post screenies in a sec).

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24e1737&s=5

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=20u4ron&s=5

Edited by Rellik

@Rellik: You need to Write changes to ROM immediately after editing the colours. If you do anything with other Controls, you will lose the changes. Then save. Also, make sure your ROM isn't in read-only state. Also, why is image index at that value? Only the first 16 colours are part of Eliwood's palette.

I can get it to start, but then theres some weird colours at the top of the box and i cant edit anything
How do I find the battle pallette(s) offset?!?!?

I remember Blazer making a Nightmare module that has pointers related to battle sprites and one of those is palette pointer. The pointer table is at 0xE00000, so if you are interested, you can edit default colours by finding the palette pointers in there, though only every 5th pointer is palette pointer. As for personal palette's, 0xFD8000 is where you can find those pointers.

Edited by Nintenlord

I remember Blazer making a Nightmare module that has pointers related to battle sprites and one of those is palette pointer. The pointer table is at 0xE00000, so if you are interested, you can edit default colours by finding the palette pointers in there, though only every 5th pointer is palette pointer. As for personal palette's, 0xFD8000 is where you can find those pointers.

Think you can give me a pic. of what I am looking for?

I just can't figure it out...

Edited by Ranger

Whenever I enter in the value offset for image control it automatically goes to 1743. Should it not be doing that? If so what should it be at?

Also, ya I've had trouble with "Read-only" but it wasn't on when I tried. And also I made sure I hit it as soon as I changed the colour. I did notice a subtle difference in the look of his armor though. It's a bit blurry now.

And If able I just wanted to change Eliwood to Blue hair black armor and Hector red hair black armor. So if you could help me figure it out that would be great.

Right now I'm just using a 1998 Fe7 Rom non edited (besides with the editor of course). So I don't see how anything could interfere with it either.

Edited by Rellik

Whenever I enter in the value offset for image control it automatically goes to 1743. Should it not be doing that? If so what should it be at?

Also, ya I've had trouble with "Read-only" but it wasn't on when I tried. And also I made sure I hit it as soon as I changed the colour. I did notice a subtle difference in the look of his armor though. It's a bit blurry now.

And If able I just wanted to change Eliwood to Blue hair black armor and Hector red hair black armor. So if you could help me figure it out that would be great.

Right now I'm just using a 1998 Fe7 Rom non edited (besides with the editor of course). So I don't see how anything could interfere with it either.

you mean E02000?

If so then it should go there.