Southern Island Latios

intrusion

So I finally got to the Southern Island with a Timid Synchronize Ralts after catching like, 30 (although, it did somewhat pay off since I got some decent natures. And the Timid one has 3 perfect IVs!! Can't wait to breed a good Gallade). Just wondering, though, is Hidden Fire really worth it? It seems like a pain to get but Latios is one of my favorite Pokemon so I'd like to raise him well.

Thanks.

So I finally got to the Southern Island with a Timid Synchronize Ralts after catching like, 30 (although, it did somewhat pay off since I got some decent natures. And the Timid one has 3 perfect IVs!! Can't wait to breed a good Gallade). Just wondering, though, is Hidden Fire really worth it? It seems like a pain to get but Latios is one of my favorite Pokemon so I'd like to raise him well.

Thanks.

hidden power fire is nice for baiting ferrothorn switchins but other than that you're better with ice beam, thunderbolt, surf, maybe earthquake. go for it if you want. if you do, also remember that you won't have that flawless speed to tie with other base 110s.

Eon Ticket how?! >:C

i didn't see him mention an eon ticket...?

Edited by Comet

Don't you need the Eon Ticket to get to Southern Island?

you can already go there once in the main story. the eon ticket just lets you return for whichever is exclusive for the other version.

hidden power fire is nice for baiting ferrothorn switchins but other than that you're better with ice beam, thunderbolt, surf, maybe earthquake. go for it if you want. if you do, also remember that you won't have that flawless speed to tie with other base 110s.

i didn't see him mention an eon ticket...?

Yes, that's what I was thinking, and if I want to run a Defog set (if I ever change my mind. Except for Surf, Latios's moves can be changed pretty well, I find), the flawless speed would be crucial. Would Volcarona be a good companion to Latios then? Or is it still banned?

By the way, is there any way I can accurately pin down the IVs?? Every calculator I try gives me "30, 31" at best and I would really like a definite 31 IV for Speed.

And Fruit Insanity, as Comet said, it's part of the main story, the respective Lati has to join your team before you can move on.

I accidentally quoted myself instead of editing it. If it's possible, I'd like the above post to be deleted.

Edited by intrusion

Okay so after about an hour or so of just soft resetting, I got this:

Lvl 30 Latios

Timid, Likes to thrash about

HP:91 ATK:61 DEF:62 SP.ATK: 92 SP.DEF: 80 SPD: 88

IVs are:

HP:11 ATK :31 everything else is 30-31

It's a damn shame that he got the Attack characteristic... I'd really like max Speed. Ideally, I wanted Speed characteristic and max IV for Speed, Sp. Attack and either HP, Defence or Special Defence. Maybe this is better, though. Should I keep him? Or should I keep going until I get the max Speed? UGHHHHHHHHHHH

Also, does this count as double-posting (or triple-posting, I guess?)?? I don't know how to ask a mod, I'm still new here.

Edited by intrusion

Okay so after about an hour or so of just soft resetting, I got this:

Lvl 30 Latios

Timid, Likes to thrash about

HP:91 ATK:61 DEF:62 SP.ATK: 92 SP.DEF: 80 SPD: 88

IVs are:

HP:11 ATK :31 everything else is 30-31

It's a damn shame that he got the Attack characteristic... I'd really like max Speed. Should I keep him?

that's pretty good for a legit one. check if his ivs with the battle institute in mauville to be sure about his stats. i'd only reset if you really want that max speed. iirc since you have an odd hp stat, you can't have hp fire.

that's pretty good for a legit one. check if his ivs with the battle institute in mauville to be sure about his stats. i'd only reset if you really want that max speed. iirc since you have an odd hp stat, you can't have hp fire.

Oh, I didn't know you could do that. Do they give you their hidden power or some other trait that can give the calculator more information?

Yeah, at this point, I'm even aiming for hp fire haha. I ended up with this by pure luck. I'm really tempted to just save, turn it off and watch some shows.

I'm at the battle institute... it's the place where you get the VS recorder, right? I'm talking to everyone but I don't see anything that would provide any useful info on Latios...?

Okay, so I looked some stuff up, and I read that I have to try a battle with the pokemon, and it'll bump up its level to 50, making the calculations a cinch. If that's the case, it won't work, because the person tells me that it's too early and that I need to grow more.

Is that the method you were talking about?

Edited by intrusion

Oh, I didn't know you could do that. Do they give you their hidden power or some other trait that can give the calculator more information?

Yeah, at this point, I'm even aiming for hp fire haha. I ended up with this by pure luck. I'm really tempted to just save, turn it off and watch some shows.

I'm at the battle institute... it's the place where you get the VS recorder, right? I'm talking to everyone but I don't see anything that would provide any useful info on Latios...?

do a battle there. iirc, they don't force you to save. when you do that, latios and the other pokemon will be set to level 50. http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcxy.shtml is for calculating the ivs. http://www.psypokes.com/dex/hp.php is for hidden power calculation.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, maybe I should've downloaded a test beforehand, but she won't let me in. She tells me that I'm not ready yet, and that I should grow stronger before trying it.

i just checked a site on ign and you need to be the champion to do it. my only suggestion now is to use rare candies to try to narrow stuff down. sorry about that.

i just checked a site on ign and you need to be the champion to do it. my only suggestion now is to use rare candies to try to narrow stuff down. sorry about that.

No problem. But be honest with me, would you keep this Latios? Would you say it's as good as other Latios for competitive play or would a max Speed be absolutely necessary?

well, there's still a chance that he does have the flawless speed (at least two other stats with 31), and hp fire isn't that great imo. i'd probably keep it, since the only things that you're going to tie with are opposing lati@s and gengar that you really care about, and there aren't many latias that are offensive (they do exist though btw). but, your ivs as a whole are really good even for a legendary with great stats. so, i'd probably keep it.

well, there's still a chance that he does have the flawless speed (at least two other stats with 31), and hp fire isn't that great imo. i'd probably keep it, since the only things that you're going to tie with are opposing lati@s and gengar that you really care about, and there aren't many latias that are offensive (they do exist though btw). but, your ivs as a whole are really good even for a legendary with great stats. so, i'd probably keep it.

Yeah, I think I'll take my chances on one of the other perfect IVs being in the Speed stat. I would imagine that even a mediocre IV'd Latios would fare well (not as well as it COULD, but well), seeing how it naturally has a high Speed stat anyway.

Thanks a lot for putting up with me, haha