ULTIMATE TANK UNIT - suggestions wanted

Red Falcon

Hello,

It's been a while. Long story short, technology hates me, and so does the internet haha. Anyway, I wanted to know if there is any consensus on what the ultimate survival tanking unit would be. Something ridiculously impossible to kill.

Ground rules:

- They must be a custom (My Unit) avatar

- There are no other rules!

Things you might want to consider could be class, asset/flaw, and skills.

GO!

Here's my two cents:

General

+Str -Mag

Limit Breaker, Aegis, Pavise, Counter, Renewal

Think you can beat it?

Surviving. . .what, exactly?

If I wanted an avatar that would never die (mostly on stats), I'd do something like this:

Sorcerer

+DEF, -LCK

Forged Aversa's Night (+5 MT, the rest to Hit)

Limit Breaker, Vengeance, Aegis, Pavise, Armsthrift

Sorcerer's defensive caps are 41 DEF/44 RES. +DEF changes it to 45 DEF/46 RES. Limit Breaker pushes it to 55 DEF/56 RES. Aegis/Pavise are self-explanatory, and Armsthrift is to keep that Aversa's Night from breaking, thus ensuring that every time this unit gets a hit in, it'll heal itself. Vengeance increases the amount of healing that Aversa's Night will do.

This unit is pretty vulnerable to being doubled, though.

Possible tank Avatar:

-Asset: Defense

-Flaw: Luck/Skill/Strength

-Class: Sorcerer

-Weapon: Forged Aversa's Night (+5 Mt, +15 Hit)

-Equipped skills:

--Limit Break

--Sol

--Vantage

--Armsthrift

--Pavise/Aegis/(Weaponbreaker skill)/Renewal/Galeforce/Miracle

Limit Break is already explained. Armsthrift is there just to make sure the forged Aversa's Night can't run out if the Luck stat is at least 50. Sol potentially almost doubles the heal rate to 100% should it activate and activates pretty easily. Vantage is there to make sure that the tank Avatar gets the first move should HP fall below 50% due to something like Counter.

The last slot depends on what's needed/available:

-Pavise is great since axes, swords and lances are perhaps the most common things to be attacked by.

-Aegis is there if you particularly hate magic and bows.

-(Weaponbreaker skill) can work great if you particularly hate and want to kill that specific sort of weapon users.

-Renewal: free 30% healing per unit's phase. Why not?

-Galeforce can work if you want to jump some hapless enemy for free healing, especially if you're on low health and can ORKO a troublesome target (ie. a 1-range enemy with Counter).

-Miracle can potentially save you if Sol isn't activating often enough to save you when combined with Vantage, if you took a really big hit from Counter or if you took a hit from Lethality.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Hold on, what context is this in? Streetpass, you're dead, no matter what you do. Apo, no Avatar can survive NS at all, and tanking is generally useless there anyway. What exactly is this Avatar trying to tank?

I have absolutely no clue on what the TC is basing tankiness on. For me, I just threw together a setup that is usable in normal in-game situations (not in Apotheosis or Streetpass).

Class: Sage

Asset: Magic

Flaw: Defense

Skillset:

~Vengeance

~Vantage

~Filler

~Filler

~Limit Breaker

Married to Chrom or Lucina equipped with Dual Strike +

Both the Avatar and his/her spouse are equipped with brave weapons.

After taking a decent sized bit of damage, nothing will be able to kill you on enemy phase except for the 99 HP enemies in Apotheosis due to Vantage and 100% Dual Strike.

PavGis + Sol is a rather outdated tanking strategy.

Nope, Nos's effect is all its own. If it was an auto-cast system, then it wouldn't be able to procstack and would show the cut-in every time you used it (and it would probably still have a Skl% activation rate). So you can stack it with Sol, Luna, Vengeance, anything you want. I have a feeling that Aether+Nos would be an interesting combination, but unfortunately the only way you're getting that is with a Sorc (which I don't like).

-Apotheosis setup-

This can only work on Normal Apotheosis since turn limits exist in the Secret route. If Rallybots, Staffbots and Olivia are allowed, then the Secret route can possibly be doable.

PavGis + Sol, although outdated, is still a usable strategy in in-game situations (basically any situation that is not Apotheosis or Streetpass). Though IMO, Pavise is more useful than Aegis since units get attacked by axes, swords and lances the most often.

After taking a decent sized bit of damage, nothing will be able to kill you on enemy phase except for the 99 HP enemies in Apotheosis due to Vantage and 100% Dual Strike.

1-range Counter says hi.

PavGis + Sol, although outdated, is still a usable strategy in in-game situations (basically any situation that is not Apotheosis or Streetpass). Though IMO, Pavise is more useful than Aegis since units get attacked by axes, swords and lances the most often.

Really? I find Aegis to be more useful because classes generally have much worse Res than Def. I don't care about halving an attack that will be doing 0-4 damage to me, I do care about halving one that will be doing 20+ (and I like Wyverns, so I see that a lot). I also can't use WTA to lower my foes' Hitrates with the Aegis weapon types.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Honestly, I found Aegis more useful since magic sucks so much more to get hit by unless you're a mage. That, and there's the fact that unless you're a mage, you (mostly) can't counter archers and mages without gimping your damage output against other enemies.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Hate to be the one to bring it to you, but all evidence suggests that even the strongest Morgan will still get annihilated by a married pair of units in a single engagement. Pavise/Aegis doesn't trigger on the secondary strikes performed by the paired up unit, and there is 8 of them, additionally you have 4 main swings. Nothing can survive that.

Okay then, let's make it more specific, let's say the race is StreetPass.

-clap clap- GG, GG.

ANY Streetpass team will get demolished by a well-prepared team. It's already proven possible that even a Limit Broken team can get destroyed by a single pair of units that don't have Limit Break, Staff support or even Rally support or even a support bonus (since the units in the pair-up can't even support to begin with).

What seems to be a half-decent setup that punishes careless/inattentive players is a team of 10 male Avatars with Strength Asset and Defense Flaw, in physically-oriented classes, equipped with forged (+3 Mt, +25 Hit) Brave weapons and with the skills Limit Break, Luna, Ignis, Counter and Aggressor. However this team will get destroyed by players who do pay attention to the team's setups and can just attack them from range in pairs and use Rescue staves.

Basically, Streetpass team battle strategy boils down to maximizing damage output and ensuring that at least 1 unit of the receiving player's team dies and potentially force a soft reset. Even then, it's not that likely since players can always dismiss a Streetpass team.

Edited by Roflolxp54

There's no such thing as Def in Streetpass, whether you're fighting the team or you are the team. Nothing on the team can survive pairup+Braves+capped stats, and nothing facing it can reliably survive Proc/Brave Counterbombs.

Really?

I did say that it's a usable strategy (may not be the best strategy) and I said it in the context of any situation that is NOT Apotheosis or Streetpass (which doesn't mean that it can't be used there). And there are strategies around for the Apotheosis secret route that don't require as much RNG manipulation but focuses less on tanking (ie. abuse of VV).