Mafia Round 4

General Spoon

This is the official Mafia game thread where all discussions/game play/voting will take place. For those playing, all game-related posts should go here. You can, of course, have private conversations through PM, AIM, etc.

If you are dead or not playing, do not post in this thread. If you're dead, you're dead. I can't stop you from talking about the game outside of the forum, but by the honor system, please don't. It'll only ruin the fun of the game for others.

Gameplay/Rules

Each game day consists of the Day Phase and the Night Phase. Since my schedule is fairly busy and not perfect, there will not be a 100% set schedule for this. There will, however, be a minimum time limit of 24 hours per day phase. So from the time of my most recent update, you have at least 24 hours to post your votes. Once that time has passed, someone will be hung and the night phase will begin. Once I post that the night phase has begun, ya'll can start PM'ing me. I will post the results once all actions are submitted (or at least 24 hours have passed, in case people forget). This may cause the game to run a little slowly, but it also gives more time for forum discussion, strategy stuff, etc.

Additionally, I would ask that you do not change your name while playing the game.

Also, only edit your post if you are changing a vote. To edit your post for any other reason goes against the spirit of the game.

Day Phase

The Day Phase is when everyone decides to cast a vote to hang someone (or hang no one, if you decide). You do not have to vote. For this game, votes will be cast publicly on the forum. Votes must be bolded and obvious. If I miss a vote because you implied it or forgot to make it obvious, that's your fault, not mine. If you change your vote and make a new post with a vote, unbold your old one. If you change your vote and forget to unbold your first one, I'll ignore your attempt of change because, well, because I can. Remember, everyone (save for those who are dead) participates in voting if they decide to.

In case of ties...

7 votes for VincentASM to hang

7 votes for General Spoon to hang

No clear winner, no one hangs.

7 votes for VincentASM to hang

7 votes not to hang anyone

VincentASM will hang. "Not hanging" votes lose the tie breaker.

Night Phase

The Night Phase is for those with special abilities (certain villagers have these, as do the Mafia). The most notable part of this phase is who the Mafia kill. To do your actions, send me a PM on this forum. Make it 100% clear who you are performing your action to. In the subject, put the Day # in there somewhere. For example, the mafia will PM me who they kill each night, if there's a doctor then he will protect someone, etc.

Special Roles

Everyone will receive their role in a PM. For this round (yes, we'll have more rounds later), I will be posting the approximate number of mafia members and what special roles there are. All roles are distributed randomly. No, it's not rigged, and no, I am not going to change the results for friends. I want to hold true to the randomness of the game. So, theoretically, the same person could be mafia 5 rounds in a row.

Doctor

Every night phase, a doctor can protect one person. Protecting blocks all killing actions done on that person that night phase. A doctor cannot protect himself.

Vigilante

At night, this player can take actions into their own hands and kill someone. He has an ammo supply.

Cop

Every night phase, this person may investigate one player to determine if they are innocent or guilty.

Watcher

Watches one person every night, and sees who visits them.

Miller

If investigated by the cop, this player appears guilty. The miller does not know that he is the miller.

Godfather

In addition to being a mafia member, if this player is investigated by the cop, he will appear innocent.

Hooker

In addition to being a mafia member, this player can hook someone at night. Hooking someone prevents that player from performing any actions that night.

Mafia Goon

Generic mafia dude.

Know that the mafia sends one (1) of their members to perform their kill each night.

Questions, Comments, Concerns

If you have an questions, post it in the mafia sign-up thread. If I forgot to mention something here, feel free to post about it there too.

Winning Conditions

The mafia wins if they kill everyone else.

The townies win by killing all the mafia.

The cop, vigilante, watcher, doctor and miller and win with the townies. The godfather and hooker win with the mafia.

If the mafia has a majority at any time during the game (assuming that the town can no longer possibly win), they have achieved a sufficient condition for victory and it's not necessary to continue on.

We have 21 players this game.

There are 4 mafia (1 of which is the godfather, and 1 of which is the hooker), 1 doctor, 1 cop, 1 watcher, 1 vigilante, and 1 miller.

Lord Ratatosk-Dead- Night 1- Axed (Townie)

Isaac55-Alive

Dracohon-Alive

messy mike-Dead- Night 5- Killed (Doctor)

Core-Dead- Day 7- Beaten (Mafia Goon)

Luke Fon Fabre-Dead- Day 5- Hung (Townie)

Admiral Lifey Crunch-Dead- Night 3- Shot (Townie)

I eat tables-Dead- Night 1- Clipped (Townie)

Ether-Alive

Reinfleche-Dead- Day 1- Lynchee, meet noose (Townie)

Lux Aeterna-Dead- Day 3- Hung (Godfather)

cheezperson-Dead- Day 4- Hung (Mafia Goon)

Mordecai-Alive

Bizz-Dead- Night 2- Called was dropped (Vigilante)

Ninji-Alive

CATS-Alive

Pride-Dead- Day 6- Hanged (Hooker)

Crysta-Alive

Furetchen-Alive

Balcerzak-Dead- Night 6 - Shot (Townie)

WeaponsofMassConstruction-Alive

Edited by General Spoon

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roles have been distributed. If you did not receive a PM, that means that you are a townie. Here's a description of what a townie is.

You are a townie. You do not have any special powers, but may still try to outwit the mafia. You can also vote to lynch people during the day phase. PM me if you have any questions.

I'm just going to play the alphabet game and vote the person who's name is alphabetically first.

Admir... Oh shit, that's me. In that case, Balcerzak.

EDIT: My vote still stands right now but I promise I will change it if a tie happens. We only get info from lynches, even if we take out a townie.

2nd EDIT: Since I have suddenly accrued two votes against me and would prefer not to die, I'm changing my vote to Reinfleche. If the town lynches me, they'll regret it because they'll lose a townie who could potentially help them in the future.

Edited by Admiral Lifey Crunch

I eat Tables is clever and resourceful in his roles. I still think that he'd be more dangerous as a living mafia member than he would benefit the town as an innocent, so I vote to lynch him.

EDIT to fix grammar only

Edited by Lord Ratatosk

I Eat Tables is clearly a person to be wary of after his performance in the last game, but it's a new game now. I think I'll wait for more discussion before I decide on a vote.

EDIT: a stupid typo I made rrrrrgh

Edited by Bizz

I Want Tables is clearly a person to be wary of after his performance in the last game, but it's a new game now. I think I'll wait for more discussion before I decide on a vote.

Care to share any thoughts you might have with the mob boss, I mean just an ordinary member of this fine town?

At the risk of killing myself on day one... don't be cruel to Reinfleche, first day/night deaths twice in a row is a bit cruel. As long as he promises not to zombie, that is.

That I Want Tables fellow sounds dangerous, we should be friends.

Balcerzak. He's the closest in votes to Rein that isn't me.

(If Rein turns out to be Mafia and he gets lynched, it will be brilliant)

I, too, played the alphabet game. So, Admiral Lifey Crunch. Nothin' personal, mate.

EDITED to cut out a bit that I'd accidentally quoted to get the good Admiral's name right.

Edited by Furetchen

don't be cruel to Reinfleche

I'm pretty confident he's going to die early unless he actually is a mafia member anyway.

Normally I don't vote for anyone in the beginning, but since that's not going to be a popular idea... :awesome:

Edited by Crysta

So far, I'm disagreeing with just about every vote so far. As I eat tables said, killing Reinfleche on the first day again would just be cruel. As for I eat tables, I disagree with what Lord Ratatosk said. Although he would be dangerous as a mafia, there's only about a 1/5 chance of him being one, and he would be a valuable ally if he's town. The same goes for Balcerzak.

Since there's only one other person here who already has votes, I'll vote for Admiral Lifey Crunch.

So far, I'm disagreeing with just about every vote so far. As I eat tables said, killing Reinfleche on the first day again would just be cruel. As for I eat tables, I disagree with what Lord Ratatosk said. Although he would be dangerous as a mafia, there's only about a 1/5 chance of him being one, and he would be a valuable ally if he's town. The same goes for Balcerzak.

Since there's only one other person here who already has votes, I'll vote for Admiral Lifey Crunch.

Your reasoning make no sense. How do you know that I won't be a valuable ally? I only pulled the stunt that I did last game because of two reasons:

1. I missed the first 2 days of action because of my hard drive died on me.

2. I originally planned to send all of you PMs saying that I was the detective in order to get the Mafia to trick themselves into revealing their role to me.

However, since I missed Day 1, I had to improvise. Hika seemed rather suspicious so I used the same trick in a more public venue. However, I miscalculated for Bizz's response.

You're basically voting for me because I caused a splash last game for falsely claiming a role. That is not starting carte blanche and I'm slightly peeved about it. For all we know, you could be Mafia and you're just trying to lynch me because you think I'm a threat to you.

Dead men tell no tales. Lynch me and you'll see that I'm innocent. Might seem suspicious for me to defend myself so vigorously but when you have a history like I do (winning as Mafia and then being lynched instead of the Alpha Wolf after I didn't expect the detective to reveal themself), it's no wonder why I'm going to be so defensive.

Also (because I can't edit), Furetchen has a decent reason for voting for me, just like my original Bal vote. You don't when you could have easily used the Alphabet system which I mentioned (homage to Sean from the first season of Survivor). Instead, you have no reason to vote for me instead of Bal or Tables. I could easily be just as useful to the town as them.

Your reasoning make no sense. How do you know that I won't be a valuable ally?

Looking back, my original post was poorly worded. It's not that I think you won't be a valuable ally, it's that I'm sure Tables and Balc would be valuable allies, but I don't know that for sure about you.

You're basically voting for me because I caused a splash last game for falsely claiming a role. That is not starting carte blanche and I'm slightly peeved about it. For all we know, you could be Mafia and you're just trying to lynch me because you think I'm a threat to you.

This has nothing to do with what happened last game. How that turned out was due to the unfortunate coincidence that the detective was online when it happened, not because it was a bad idea. If I had felt that what you did was really so bad, I would have voted to lynch you back then, but I was the only active member who didn't.

Also (because I can't edit), Furetchen has a decent reason for voting for me, just like my original Bal vote. You don't when you could have easily used the Alphabet system which I mentioned (homage to Sean from the first season of Survivor). Instead, you have no reason to vote for me instead of Bal or Tables. I could easily be just as useful to the town as them.

How does lynching someone based on the first letter in their name qualify as a decent reason, even if it is a homage to Survivor?

How does lynching someone based on the first letter in their name qualify as a decent reason, even if it is a homage to Survivor?

Because it shows no malice against the person, it's just a way to abide by the rules. If I vote no lynch, I look guilty. If I randomly vote Reinfleche before someone else, for example, there's no reasoning behind it. But if I vote Bal because he's top of the list, that's just me trying to get info from a kill with a semi legit excuse. I'm not targetting him because I think he's guilty, I'm going after him because he just happens to the first casualty. It's called being unlucky.

However, I'm keeping my vote on Rein so that I don't get knocked out myself. My death isn't going to help the town. It's probably going to hurt it because it's a citizen down and the Mafia get a free day off.

Because it shows no malice against the person, it's just a way to abide by the rules. If I vote no lynch, I look guilty. If I randomly vote Reinfleche before someone else, for example, there's no reasoning behind it. But if I vote Bal because he's top of the list, that's just me trying to get info from a kill with a semi legit excuse. I'm not targetting him because I think he's guilty, I'm going after him because he just happens to the first casualty. It's called being unlucky.

However, I'm keeping my vote on Rein so that I don't get knocked out myself. My death isn't going to help the town. It's probably going to hurt it because it's a citizen down and the Mafia get a free day off.

Well, way to reveal that you're mafia, Sir Crunch. I thought that I, the godfather, already said that we weren't supposed to do stuff like that. We WANT to make ourselves look suspicious, eh? Reverse psychology and all?

There's no malice in my vote, Crunch. It's the first day, there is literally nothing to go on, and it was an essentially random vote. I'm not on some crusade to lynch you here. :)

Also, I wonder if Ratatosk is the godfather, and is trying to use reverse psychology on us? :huh:

Personally, I'm willing to buy a claim for tabula rasa with respect to Crunch. The only instances where I'd want to suspend giving someone a blank slate would be if he has repeatedly and demonstrably shown himself to be either chronically inactive, incurably dense, intentionally disruptive, or blatantly disregardful of the rules.

Crunch's gambit last game, while disruptive, was not (in my opinion) intentionally so, as he honestly was working for the best interests of the town. In a similar vein, I'm not sure Candlejack was being intentionally disruptive either, despite a quite unbalanced signal-to-noise ratio, though if he weren't banned I'd be observing him carefully for repeat behaviour.

It may seem odd to defend the person who started a mini-crusade to get me lynched, but it's the beginning of the game, we don't even have a hint of a from a first night death, and any excuse to get some conversation started works.

That said, I'm hesitant to jump on a bandwagon before someone even gets a chance to defend themselves, though in Reinfleche's case it might already be too late, or he might not be able to even put forth anything convincing enough to save himself. That said, we're still only about halfway into the day phase, and it seems like most of the activity comes in a burst at the beginning, and a burst before the end, so I guess there's still time for some more information to crop up.

I do plan on submitting at least one formal vote before I'm most likely killed at night, as I know at least one person pretty much promised to put me on the chopping block if they landed a killing role, and I have an uncanny knack for making a target of myself.