Fire Emblem numbering system revised

VincentASM

Hey all!

Just letting you know that, after much thought and discussion, Serenes Forest is finally adopting Nintendo of Japan's revised official Fire Emblem numbering.

Originally, FE5 was Thracia 776, but under NoJ's new numbering (since 2012), FE5 is BS Fire Emblem, while Thracia 776 is FE6. Every FE after Thracia 776 will be FE# +1, so the latest FE is FE14: Awakening (previously FE13).

[spoiler=Background story]The new numbering system was introduced around the time of Heroes of Light and Shadow. Although that game was numbered "12" in the game code and occasionally referred to as the 12th game, in later media, they started referring to it as the 13th game.

This is because NoJ acknowledged the existance of BS Fire Emblem (possibly due to it being remade in Heroes of Light and Shadow) and consider it FE5, thus offsetting all future releases.

While we can't hack Awakening yet, if you check the wallpapers section of Awakening, you'll see it's numbered 14 if you click the links. The developers also explain why Awakening is number 14 in this English developer interview (see Page 4).

While I understand changing the numbering system is going to be potentially very confusing, but I figured we should do it sooner rather than later. Otherwise things are only going to get messier the more games are released.

At the moment, I've only gotten around to updating the front page of the site, but eventually I'll get around to changing all the numbers everywhere.

Oh, boy. This is gonna be fun. Tho it's not like Vincent can come and punch me for using the wrong one

I'll just call the games by title.

Is it Apr 1st in your timezone? Because it is still march 31st here... Or is this real? ASDSDHJDFUS

Edited by L95

Well not many people even know about BS fire emblem. Although officially the numbers have been changed I will probably refer to the old system. It is a bit confusing.

Is it Apr 1st in your timezone? Because it is still march 31st here... Or is this real? ASDSDHJDFUS

It is the 1st of April as of 36 minutes ago...

Not that it matters much to me since I usually refer to the game titles, anyway.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

You know the forums won't switch, right? 'Cause I ain't. I didn't even notice until you told me.

Well this is rather confusing.

So when I say "FE13," I won't be referring to Awakening, but Shin Monshou no Nazo?

Hm. :-\

I wonder how long it'll take for me to get used to this... if at all...

You will get used to it, but you won't use it. Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

It's funny because Vincent won't even rename FE6 to Binding Blade because it's "too much work" in spite of it being the official translation, yet some obscure developer interview will suddenly make him change the NUMBERING SYSTEM for all the games?

lol

Edit: oh haha you actually took this as a chance to fix that, even though it's only on the mainsite display

good one vince

Edited by Klok

I'm pretty sure this is an april fools' prank.

Still, it's weird to see things this way >_>

Vincent doesn't sound like a person who makes jokes though.

America has multiple timezones, though.

You're clearly not American enough

Vincent doesn't sound like a person who makes jokes though.

Does no one remember that one time SF was in japanese?

....Oh, yay Binding blade :D

Edited by L95

Well... this'll take some getting used to...

Also, the Awakening button on the front page ceased existing, I'm guessing you're still coding that in.

EDIT: It still leads to Awakening... *suspicious*

Edited by Locke Cole