Xenomic's Art Thread!

Xenomic

There may or may not be some sprites shown here too, from my old threads on other forums. This thread won't be geared as much towards sprites now as it was before.

First, the repost of the sprites from my original thread:

MariaBeta3-2.png~originalLennaBeta01-2.png~original

The first one (Maria Renard from Castlevania) took about a week to do. The second one (Lenna from Final Fantasy V) I never finished as you can see. Whether or not I'll ever finish that sprite, I don't know...in any case, onto actual art stuff that's not sprites!

nowi_line_art_by_xenomic-d6wjduy.png

So, for those who haven't seen it at all, this was my first time doing a piece of art in about 10 years. Done in Photoshop with mouse (2 1/2 hours, first time using mouse for anything art related like this), so it's not exactly as great as it could be. I did redo this on paper with pencil (also 2 1/2 hours), but I still need to get it scanned and uploaded. When I do, expect a lot of images to pop up here!

In any case, I know there's proportion issues here and there with this image in general, but I'm currently trying to learn how to do proportions properly without being a copy artist. Fire Emblem: Awakening's art is what inspired me to try and get better at art (mostly due to Tiki, Nowi, and Nah, and this one particular image of Nowi set it off:

w17XkIR.png

Whether or not I'll ever be able to get as good as this, who knows? I'm attempting to at least get semi-decent or decent enough to where I can produce good fanart for my favorite characters. I've already used a couple tutorials on learning heads and learned how to do heads without said guidelines (frontal position mostly. Haven't done many angled positions, and none for side yet).

Again, once I get these images scanned and uploaded, I'll be posting a lot more for you guys to hopefully give feedback on.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an art dump! Finally got the scanner to work, so scanned some of my works over the past couple weeks.

Shyam faces:

shyam_faces_by_xenomic-d70vpuh.png

This is the last image I attempted to do. This was me not using Tiki, Nowi, or Nah as references, and trying to do different hairstyles mostly to see which would fit my OC. This also shows how bad I am at keeping anything proportioned on the head...;___;

Nah Practice Art 1:

nah_practice_art_by_xenomic-d70vqfn.png

A frontal view of Nah. Just the head, as the rest of the body was to come later. This was a later drawing after I figured I got some decent grasp of doing heads. Also, first time doing braids, which I thought came out decently. The mouth could've used more work though. Jawline too, but jawline is always hard to do...

Nah Practice Art 2:

nah_practice_art_2_by_xenomic-d70vr91.pn

An attempt of doing an angled view of Nah. The braids, while they look ok, kinda...just float there weirdly. I honestly don't know how I screwed those up so badly.

Nowi Practice Art 1:

nowi_practice_art_by_xenomic-d70vrqz.png

Or what I dub Stoned Nowi. This was before I thought I had a decent grasp on doing faces. Needless to say, this was bad. ^^;

Nowi Practice Art 2:

nowi_practice_art_2_by_xenomic-d70vsbs.p

This was the first image I drew on paper and pencil after the Photoshop version. While it's not TOO terrible, there's still some glaring issues, even with the head...

Nowi Practice Art 3:

nowi_practice_art_3_by_xenomic-d70vsnj.p

This was drawn right after the 2nd practice art, and well...as per usual, still some glaring issues. This is based on her portrait image from Awakening as well (the 2nd one was based on an artwork from Awakening too).

Tiki Practice Art 1:

tiki_practice_art_1_by_xenomic-d70vt40.p

Done later on when I thought I had a firm grasp on heads. Same issues persist here, though I think this was before I stopped drawing eyes first and then doing the head around the eyes...

Tiki Practice Art 2:

tiki_practice_art_2_by_xenomic-d70vtjq.p

I attempted to draw a full body for Tiki (this was long before Practice Art 1), and well...I just couldn't do it. I wanted to see how it'd look and it looks bad. ^^;; So after this art is when I went back to practicing heads a lot more.

Nowi Practice Art 4:

nowi_practice_art_4_by_xenomic-d70vu7r.p

This is actually my most recent art right now. I attempted another full body art, and while it's not nearly as terrible as the Tiki one (or maybe it is?), I still can't do the body parts right. I guess I should just work on heads more or something...ugh...

practice_art__by_xenomic-d71bsy3.jpg

Nowi was kinda used as a base again, but this was my attempt at a quick sketch (less than 10 minutes or so) of a head in an angled view, with some shading and heavier line art. Could be better of course, but it's not the world's worse I think. I've yet to read the Loomis books I have, nor either of the other books I have, and felt like doing a quick practice to see how I'd do the shading. Light source is from the left. I know my shading isn't exactly stellar either, but I think it's not TOO terrible...maybe.

It'll be a while before I do that, as I need to learn the basics as much as I hate to do so. Using Andrew Loomis since everyone and their mother is barking at me to do so...

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x308/Xenomic/Art%20Dump/Heads1.jpg~original

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x308/Xenomic/Art%20Dump/Heads2.jpg~original

I would post the images proper, but for SOME reason the images are super huge. I don't know if it's the scanner at work here, or if the other scanner scans the images at a far more reasonable resolution but I don't know...maybe I have to tinker with the settings on the scanner...but it should NOT be as big as it is! The other art stuff weren't super huge so why are these?? >_<

Anywho, these two were from the Loomis "Fun with a Pencil" book, exercise 1. And while I THINK I understand the point of the exercise, I don't like it at all. I mean...all of those look like garbage to me. Just...ugh...

Some random art practice using Proko's video as a reference. For those who don't know, this is the video in question:

Honestly, I think this is going to work out a LOT better for me than reading Loomis' books (no offense to Loomis or anyone that uses his works. I just don't think reading books is the way I can handle things. Seeing things in motion is easier on me. ^^;; ). In any case, my lines are a bit shaky, but that's due to A) My hands are pretty shaky as it is and B) I draw relatively slowly. But overall, this isn't a bad first attempt at making a base head I think!

ProkoHeadPractice2.jpg~original

• 2 weeks later...

Couple new ones~ Haven't been practicing enough as I should due to running like 4 projects but...

head_practice_3_by_xenomic-d731cou.jpg
head_practice_4_by_xenomic-d737ts2.jpg

Bottom one is the newest one. I attempted to do another image of Nowi for the last thing, to see what I could do with the new techniques I learned. It's...a bit better than before? I'm not really sure...*sigh*

6uHyl.jpg

I thought the head was really long and the eyes were too high up so I just dragged it all down, IDKK--I think one thing to pay attention to is stylization, you're kinda inbetween realism and anime right now and it's a little awkward, the eyes are anime, the chin is realistic/nearing masculine, proportions are realistic-ish, nose and mouth are anime--I'd suggest going full on with the realistic stuff to help you better understand the way features work

just a suggestion though ^^; it's nice to see you trying to improve

Yeah, heard someone tell me that on /ic/ too. It's kinda hard for me to figure out how to get out of that as well. It's like I'm aiming for anime/manga style, but also trying to keep up with the style of Awakening (since that's my main inspiration). Problem though is well, as you see it. For instance, just tried this to get the jaw looking better but it still has problems:

AnotherAttempt2.jpg~original

Some notes I need to make to myself:

*In realistic style, eyebrows go on that top line. In anime style, top of eyes go on that line.

*In realistic style, bottom of nose goes on the line. In anime style, it is slightly higher??

*Chin is same space away from the nose as the nose is to the eyes.

Also, fudge them manakete ears man! I cannot seem to get them right lol...

What other notes do I need...? Hmm...

head_practice___something_by_xenomic-d73

2-3 hours I spent wasting paper to try and get circles to not look lopsided, and trying to get faces to not look lopsided. This is about the best I could get with faces after 2-3 hours...and even then something seems off. I don't know...maybe I should just give it up? It's quite frustrating to say the least. Ugh...I tried to avoid adding any realism to them, though the nose on the second image is realistic. >_>

Found this and uploaded it to share. This is about 3-4 weeks old, so this was before I started all this stuff with Loomis. Attempt at a realistic head. Problems do persist as you can see (things not lining up, etc.), but overall...why does this seem BETTER than what I'm doing now?! Look at that chin! That's like the best damn chin I've ever done! >_<

RealisticHead.jpg~original

• 6 months later...

Oh me oh my~ *Dusts off topic* Been half a year? A bit long eh? Well, I've only recently started picking up spriting yet again (nothing on art since last time, since well....no motivation to do that still). Why now? Because I'm doing a little request for someone at the current time, in exchange for something, on DA.

0a502497e9dd10d8c701cee38dc15447.png

It's just a head for now, and uses Mei-Fang (if you can't tell) as the base for that. Mei-Fang actually is a good reference for this character's height (only 1 inch shorter than this character), though having a bit of issues sorting out how the shoulders/arm should go. Once I get past that, the rest should be fairly simple to do, as the character's design is pretty basic. Pretty Ada Wong-ish actually.

The requester's character in question:

babdcaa695e603879303972dbbc8b5d8.png

So yeah! Just throwing this out there, since it's SOMETHING I suppose. *shrugs*

81d4d8e181ce46ac0a338770aab92f20.png
b425ba9a6c9b8764dd6167346a6bbe85.png

Still a rough draft. I've always had issues with legs and arms, so the arms being off is no surprise. Not sure how to handle the back nor butt, since I'm also not used to skin-tight anything (nor did I ever really dabble with the torso much in any of my art-related things). Once I get the rough draft of the arms/hands/legs done, I should be able to tidy up the rest of this. I think...just trying to get this done as quickly and efficiently as possible without making it look too bad for the person it's being made for. Who knows? Maybe after I finish Lynn here, I'll go back and actually finish that Lenna I was working on last year. ^^;;

beta_lynn_sprite_2_by_xenomic-d7sfvoe.pn

Update to the first version. I think the back turned out nicely, and the breasts are finally situated (I think), both thanks to using Jam as a reference. But help! How to do arms and hands!? Even with using Jam for the left arm (Lynn's right arm), I don't think it turned out the way it's supposed to be. And I don't know if the butt is right too...may have to use Mei-Fang more for that...but that arm/hand! It's terrible looking right now! >_<

Taking some time to study some real-life arms, and then finding Lilica and using her as reference, I attempted to correct the left arm (character's right arm). Also attempted fixing up the hand...:

Near Max/Max Zoom:

0216d7ef2205b280cd0235825ed1ae55.png

Default zoom (so normal zoom):

57891a432c558418ccf94d3219a5a150.png

Better or worse? I'm not sure since again, arms and hands are my bane. The other arm I will probably work on soon (and probably use Lilica again as a reference since she seems to be the better one for these arms). Will probably touch up on the torso later. Though now that I look at it, I'm not sure if the torso is properly placed or if where her chest is is too low on her body...hmm...

Oh, and the reference image I was using for my real-life image:

7385959486_f0e4288738_z.jpg

Apparently I cannot translate RL stuff into pixel stuff. *Sigh*

ccf3e30cfae8d80965ccdf1a6a49f40b.png

So, since the Naruto site I was watching the episodes from is having issues for whatever reasons (140 episodes I watched in a row, my lord...), I decided to work on this a bit more, doing the legs this time (and fixing up the butt/back a bit more to be a bit more...in-line I suppose?). I think I have to readjust the bottom of the dress now since well...I THINK this is the right length for her legs, since she's supposed to be very close in terms of height to Mei-Fang there. Though not sure if the legs are right or if the body is right or what now. @_@;

Oh, and Lilica was used as reference for the legs, not Mei-Fang. I feel like Mei-Fang's legs are too thick for this character personally, and while Lilica is a scrawny little thing, I adjusted the width and whatnot accordingly to work with an adult and not a 14 year old, to the best of my abilities...

• 4 weeks later...

Back at this again after nearly a month of not doing anything. All that Naruto and whatnot. Ehehe...^^;

e755ed835de3360fdb8b87e51a8bef1f.png

The hand is the main focus right now (I also rounded out the hip a bit more. Dunno if it's too much or not...), the rest of the body will wait until later. I'm still having issues getting the hand right, as right now it looks far too fat and now the arm looks too short...just what am I doing wrong here? T-T

This is being used as a reference on fixing things up before I do anything else, thanks to HCF for giving me some tips on this.

bd3574c60bb85ce675d1b46e4ef30e57.png

So hopefully this looks better now? I feel like the hand at least looks like a blasted hand now, but not sure if everything is in order. Maybe I shouldn't have taken up this request if it was going to be this rough, heh. x_x;

a8ee2edb5c4d1caa7fc947741df6ff48.png

Just did some shading to make it at least more bearable. Also fixed up her right shoulder and hip (the character's left shoulder/hip) so that the shoulder/arm doesn't seem too close to the body, and that the hip is a bit rounder. Also expanded the area around her crotch a bit more so it doesn't look so tight, but I don't know how to properly deal with that. Still lots of things to fix, need to make her assets bigger as per the image I have, need to figure out how to shade the dress, and still need to add the jewelry, but it's getting somewhere? ^^;;

Coloring/shading is NOT something I've ever been good at at all, even worse than doing art/sprites, so if something seems off, do let me know. Still looking for more feedback on this so I can finish this off and send it to the requestee! ^^;

beta_lynn_sprite_4_by_xenomic-d7xb8bs.pn

• 3 weeks later...

beta_lynn_5_by_xenomic-d7zbr01.png

New update to Lynn. Not much really as there's still things I haven't touched but...I DID attempt to fix up several places. Most notably, the left leg (around the calf), the right leg (alongside the outside of the shin), the left shoulder, the left hand (removed several pixels), the left armpit, the neck, and the right arm. Hopefully this looks much better and I can finally move on? ^^;

And yes, I'm aware that the shading isn't 100% exact. I am terrible at shading/colors so...if anyone can help with that? ^^;

25db39f41361704c31771b09e94d1394.png
5c8572b0ec0220c64761f04344424a96.png

Some update I suppose? ^^;

Added in the jewelry and trimmed down some lines (not sure if the jewelry looks right or not though...). Also tried to adjust the crotch and breasts, though the crotch may look better, the breasts do not...once again, if I haven't shown it at all, this is what's being used as the reference for the image:

5f8c05572b315d444639298270795210.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated! No, I haven't fixed the shading yet, main priority is just finishing the damned thing lol. All that's really left is that hand now I do believe, and then fixing up shading and whatnot, and that's it for this sprite! Want to get this done soooo badly ha...

• 2 weeks later...

a14efedbd92730a3f232c75a186dd75f.png

Hyalp, how to do hand holding gun and a gun? I'm using Petra as a reference, but don't think it's helping too much. I am not sure if this will work or not (I know the pinky is missing, but not sure how to handle it). She's supposed to be holding a pistol in that hand (which I don't know who uses a pistol. Maybe I'll have to use Jill Valentine as a reference...). But yeah! @_@; Also, still need to fix the breasts (I tried to fix up the shading there too...)

Trying to finish this off now, since I'm converting videos for my Smashfest series and thus am limited on what I can do on the computer. ^^;

Edited by Xenomic

• 1 month later...

Man, I know it's been a while since I last done anything on this, but I didn't think it's been 5 weeks. Oi vey. x_x;;

In any case, while internet was out, decided to touch up on this hand (no gun yet). Left is new, right is old. Think it looks better now?

0e50992f24c71fe10675e4638e1a8338.png

If it looks better, then MAYBE I can start with the pistol. Still need to touch up on breasts too, and then I'll be done finally >_>;

• 11 months later...

Long time no see! Has it really been almost a year since I last did anything here? My goodness! In any event, I've decided yet again to try my hands at spriting, doing a sprite for a buddy's OC since he was nice enough to do a commission for me. Right now, only got an outline of part of the body (no shading or anything quite yet):

00100ed1bd6efeededfa3ba8b811d9d9.png

May is there simply for reference, as the character is also 5'2". The character being this lovely lady here:

if4__nala_navilos_by_bignasty4life-d4fxg
nala_navilos___4___reference_by_bignasty
introducing___nala_navilos_by_bignasty4l

Those are actually all the references I'm using too. I don't really have any others to go by ha. I know that the right foot (artist's right) isn't right, and the space between the legs is off. I also feel I need to lower the top of the pants down a bit since that's too high on her too. I'm also not sure how to fix up the pouch thing but...so far it doesn't seem TOO bad for an outline, especially for not doing this for a year. @_@;

Spriting is hard, didn't you know!? >_< Feedback/criticism/help is more than welcomed~