Hardest character to recruit?

From the whole series.

Xavier (FE5) drove me to insanity, (and I wasn't even going to use him!) and I was using save states!

Seriously, getting Xavier is simply indescribeable, if you havn't yet, try it if you dare.

In fact, their was a whole archtype of 'enemy general who is hard to recruit' (Lawrence [not so much], Hannibal, Xavier, Douglas) but they kind of killed it off post-FE7.

Stefan (PoR) was annoying, as it's almost impossible to know he exists without looking up internet walkthroughs or guidebooks.

Shinon (PoR) was also hard to figure out, as getting him involves a wierd process. To date, I believe he is the only FE character who you actually have to KILL in order to recruit. (Muarim dosn't count as he joins automaticallty in the next chapter.)

Ayra (FE4) was hard too, you have to lure her away (she has Astra), capture her castle without killing her and THEN talk to her. She's well worth it though.

What are your thoughts?

Is this hardest to discover how, or downright hardest, even once you know?

For the first, you probably already said it, though I would add FE7 Karla. Raising Bartre and then taking him there was something that took me a very long time to figure out.

If it's the second one, Percival from FE6 if you try to recruit him early. Also Douglas from FE6, since he's technically an unrecruitable enemy that you must keep alive to recruit. That was a pain.

Jaffar from FE7 was pretty tough the first few times, only because I was somewhat of a noob and couldn't get Nino over alive.

cath from FE6.

You have to talk to her 3 times iirc, before she joins you. And when she does, you realize what a $hit character she is and bench her. (I think that's more frustrating than the recruiting part...)

cath from FE6.

You have to talk to her 3 times iirc, before she joins you. And when she does, you realize what a $hit character she is and bench her. (I think that's more frustrating than the recruiting part...)

I took her to an arena chapter and abused her to 20. I have a personal reason for loving Cath. But yes, she is somewhat of a pain to recruit.

I took her to an arena chapter and abused her to 20. I have a personal reason for loving Cath. But yes, she is somewhat of a pain to recruit.

I guess she's kinda like nino, both being inappropriately under leveled during the time of recruit. But then again, I adore nino, so I can't blame you for having personal reasons for liking cath.

I would also have to say Xavier, but then again I always go for the member card and him, so that usually makes it much harder.

only FE character who you actually have to KILL in order to recruit

Hollin I guess could classify as this, but he sort of gets killed anyway, so it's really easy to get him even if you have no idea you can. I think there is also another for some reason, but I am too tired to think of it.

Edited by Izuka

I didn't really like trying to recruit Cormag on FE8.

On FE6, I had to use a sleep staff on Douglas, then surround him with units as he slept (one was Wolt), then as he woke up, I healed Wolt if he got injured from Douglas attacking him. That was a pain if anything, and I sure as hell would've been screwed if the sleep staff never hit.

Ayra was hard... I actually had to use Ethlin as bait to lure her away. What's more suprising is that Ethlin survived Astra.

._.

From what my friend tells me, recruiting that general in Ch. 8 will be a bitch too...

I'd have to say Cath, Douglas, Jaffar and Karla. The GBA ones are the hardest to get it seems

OK, just to clarify: Getting Hannibal (I had major trouble with this too)

First, kill all the troops surrounding him. Note that the Armours have Hero (Brave) Lances AND get a five star leadership bonus from him. Hannibal WILL attack you during this time, so make sure you don't kill him. Put some of your strongest characters in the woods and out of his range. Bear in mind that you have to deal with Altena at this point as well.

By the time you've killed Hannibal's army, Trabant should be near (if not already attacking you) so send some strong characters to take him down. Now, Hannibal won't attack you, but he will start running towards his castle. DO NOT LET HIM ENTER THE CASTLE! If he does, he will return with another army. Send a mounted character ahead of him, kill the boss at the castle and position the character on the entrance. Now Hannibal will stand still and not attack you.

Now, and this is VERY important. Send Celice and some others to the castle in the CENTRE of the map (NOT Hannibal's) and sieze it. Corple (or his sub) will join. Get him to run back and talk to Hannibal and he will join. Its about time!

Now, all this might take a few tries, and may get you so frustrated you want to kill Hannibal. DON'T DO THIS! If Hannibal dies before you capture the other castle, Corple will not join. I am stressing this point because I made this mistake on my first playthrough! I know you may not want to use him, but I'm a character perfectionist, so skipping Corple annoyed me.

I'd say Stefan (stupid hard to find space) and Shinon (I hate him anyways.)

Yeah, I didn't even know Stefan existed until AFTER I finished PoR and looked it up on here (I usually look up guides and stuff after I finish a game, especially for games like FE). I hate Shinon too. Bastard.

Other characters would be um...Jill (no making fun of me!) because I didn't know who should talk with her; she attacked Oscar and he obliterated her.

I restarted that Jill chapter two/three times because Marcia kept getting killed over and over again. The last time when Oscar killed Jill, I didn't bother restarting again because I had killed all enemies and only needed to get into that blue spot.

• 3 weeks later...