SSBB Tournament!

Zanarkin

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing I love about people playing Brawl. Especially during friendlies.

Camp. Camp. Camp.

"Dude, you DO know you're not in a tourney match right? The usual 'I play to win' tactics are just plain 'I am a jerk'"

*Time out and that Olimar wins*

Congrats, you just wasted 5 minutes of our life. And you won... NOTHING.

Edited by shadowofkitty

@PS1 and PS2 while PS1 is at least bearable for a counterpick that topic you gave is more or less one person's list of excuses as to why PS2 should be included, it doesn't change the fact that it involves more outside factors than stages like FD, Battlefield, and Smashville, which have very little to no stage interference.

You do know that PS2 is a tournament legal stage both in the US and the EU (most of the time anyway)? Those threads greatly helped making it legal.

Playing to win is what makes Brawl fun for me, although people are free to disagree. I just can't like things like 3-4 player FFA or playing with no heavy winning incentive anymore.

But that hardly is related to this tournament. People have different reasons to play, and also, different reasons to join this tournament. That's a fact and you can't change it.

As for winning by timeout in a friendly match, you always 'win' the satisfaction of beating the other guy :3 And it took only 5 minutes.

As for me, I know that people groan at overcompetetiviness, but that's just how everyone around me is. I attend offline tournaments, and play Brawl 70-90% of the time just to be better at them - I can't help it, really. Same applies for all the friends I've made in said tournaments.

I know that the point of this isn't winning or being overly competetive (there's no prize, heck, almost no fame either), but I still like playing that way. And hey, if I prove I'm the strongest, it's a bonus. It's what makes Brawl fun for me, and regardless of your opinion, that still is true.

But I agree, people are sometimes ridiculously overcompetetive, so much that it actually is rather funny or sad. Myself included.

Here's the thing I love about people playing Brawl. Especially during friendlies.Camp. Camp. Camp."Dude, you DO know you're not in a tourney match right? The usual 'I play to win' tactics are just plain 'I am a jerk'"*Time out and that Olimar wins*Congrats, you just wasted 5 minutes of our life. And you won... NOTHING.

No camping then... :mellow: Wait nevermind i know what you mean. I didn't want time but i guess i should put it huh. what would you recommend as a good time?

lolol this is going to be funnyno wonder everyone just copies rules straight from Smashboards

I didn't know a tourney of this game would require so many rules :<

Edited by Jhen Mohran

No camping then... :mellow: Wait nevermind i know what you mean. I didn't want time but i guess i should put it huh. what would you recommend as a good time?

If we're having 3 stocks, 8 minutes would be the standard timer.

For four stocks, it would probably be best to be set at 10 minutes, with a ledge grab limit of 50.

-if the game ends because of time, the player in the lead wins, unless his/her ledge grab amount surpassed the limit, in which case he/she loses the match

I'd still suggest three stocks and 8 minutes, though. It's more standard, and you don't need 30-50 minutes to play one set of matches.

And about suicides - I meant that if a suicide move ends the game with both players having the last stock, is the suicide move's user the winner or what? Since the game will at often times go to Sudden Death at that point. I'd like it if we would just ignore the Sudden Death and have the suicider win the match, makes it simpler IMO - but you're the tournament organizer.

Edited by mmKALLL

This is so active that there are three new posts every time I finish writing mine. Anyway, you might not notice since I edited my last and you just posted -

"And about suicides - I meant that if a suicide move ends the game with both players having the last stock, is the suicide move's user the winner or what? Since the game will at often times go to Sudden Death at that point. I'd like it if we would just ignore the Sudden Death and have the suicider win the match, makes it simpler IMO - but you're the tournament organizer."

For four stocks, it would probably be best to be set at 10 minutes, with a ledge grab limit of 50.

-if the game ends because of time, the player in the lead wins, unless his/her ledge grab amount surpassed the limit, in which case he/she loses the match

I'd still suggest three stocks and 8 minutes, though. It's more standard, and you don't need 30-50 minutes to play one set of matches.

And about suicides - I meant that if a suicide move ends the game with both players having the last stock, is the suicide move's user the winner or what? Since the game will at often times go to Sudden Death at that point. I'd like it if we would just ignore the Sudden Death and have the suicider win the match, makes it simpler IMO - but you're the tournament organizer.

3 stock is the standard

@Bold...What the hell? Nobody cares how much you grab the ledge.

Also, suiciding isn't that big of an issue.

@Bold...What the hell? Nobody cares how much you grab the ledge.

People do care when you are metaknight.png. I don't know how doable it is in lag, but at least offline you can be pretty damn hard to hit when you're on the ledge and it's used to time people out. Not that MK would need 50 LGs for that...

Edited by Chaoskitty

Ledge grab limits? Please no, just no stalling within reason, stalling once or twice to find an opening is fine, stalling for time no no.

You do know that PS2 is a tournament legal stage both in the US and the EU (most of the time anyway)? Those threads greatly helped making it legal.

That still doesn't change my statement or my opinion, and this is just a casual tournament anyway >____> or maybe it's not anymore...

It's good you said "most of the time" because the tournaments I played at had PS2 banned. When I think of just how retarded it is for competitive play I feel like going to the original SSB64. Once again, opinion, so you can just leave this comment be, I'll be sure to just rage if someone picks PS2 (assuming I play...). :D :D :D

I don't think we really need that rule, unless someone is going to be a jerk and do that. Its not like you are going to win much by winning this tourney anyway :mellow:

I want to join but I'll only be able to participate and give you my FC if my disc miraculously decides to work. I'll dust it off again in a couple hours and if it works I'll post my FC.

I want to join but I'll only be able to participate and give you my FC if my disc miraculously decides to work. I'll dust it off again in a couple hours and if it works I'll post my FC.

Mine seems to be in the same condition, it took a while to make it work this morning... :unsure:

That still doesn't change my statement or my opinion, and this is just a casual tournament anyway >____> or maybe it's not anymore...

It is. And I don't mind you having an opinion on the matter, I just wanted to make it clear that other people see it different.

It's good you said "most of the time" because the tournaments I played at had PS2 banned. When I think of just how retarded it is for competitive play I feel like going to the original SSB64. Once again, opinion, so you can just leave this comment be, I'll be sure to just rage if someone picks PS2 (assuming I play...). :D :D :D

*goes to practice PS2*

Mine seems to be in the same condition, it took a while to make it work this morning... :unsure:

Got any tips on how to get it to work? I tried dusting it off quite a bit. The scratches I see aren't even that noticeable, and it's in relatively good condition, I'm not sure why it stopped working and started giving me an error message all of a sudden.

Got any tips on how to get it to work? I tried dusting it off quite a bit. The scratches I see aren't even that noticeable, and it's in relatively good condition, I'm not sure why it stopped working and started giving me an error message all of a sudden.

Mine had a lot f smudges on it so i took a lenses cleaning cloth and wiped them off... After that i just kep trying mindlesly putin it in, waiting, taking it out, putting it in, waiting, etc... As i made my way to this topic it miraculously appeared.

It might be that your wii's lens is dirty... same with mine :(

I'd say that something in your disk drive is not ok. The lens can be dirty, and if the drive makes a loud noise, a certain metal part is bent, which will over time either render disks unreadable or break the disk-reading system of the Wii completely.

It is. And I don't mind you having an opinion on the matter, I just wanted to make it clear that other people see it different.

Aye, alright. I think I need to practice PS2 as well, just in case... >__________________>

Might as well practice pictochat... or just practice crying...