FE12 0% Growths

Vennobennu

As you may have guessed, I've made a patch that sets all characters' growths to 0% (or lower, but zero is zero). It is probably impossible to complete the game on Lunatic with this setting due to high enemy stats and dearth of good characters past earlygame, but Hard/Maniac should be much more reasonable.

To apply the patch you'll need to do a few things since I'm a sham. First you'll need these things on hand:

- A FE12 ROM with the fan translation V 3.01 applied. (Or the untranslated J ROM, but I'm assuming the translated version here to be safe)

- DSLazy.

- This UPS patch meant for FE12Data.bin

With these, use DSLazy's NDS Unpack function on your translated FE12 ROM to split up the contents of the .nds file. You'll be taken to a "NDS_UNPACK" folder within the root DSLazy folder once it's finished.

Navigate to NDS_UNPACK\data\data; there you should see a file named "FE12Data.bin". Apply the UPS patch to this file and save it back to NDS_UNPACK\data\data with the same name, overwriting the original. Finally, use DSLazy's NDS Packer to repack the contents of the FE12 ROM...and that should do it! Now you'll have empty levels for days.

If you want a slightly easier time of it, try the Softcore patch. It improves upon the bases of the weakest characters, mostly the later-joining prepromotes, and slightly reduces the max Def/Res for Hardin and Medeus. Essentially the goal is to make Lunatic a bit less absurd to complete, while not making Maniac/Hard cakewalks. The method for installing is the same as the regular version.

A big thank-you goes out to VincentASM's documentation on character growth cyphers, without which I likely wouldn't have finished this little project.

Edited by Vennobennu

Oh, one thing...it turns out I overwrote some of Dolph's bases accidentally, so he had -100 Skill and 85 Luck and such. I updated the patch already, so make sure to repatch. Battery saves will be compatible between versions but savestates won't, fyi.

I want to try it in lunatic with Rainbow potion. Not sure how it would turn out, but a playthrough where some really really bad units could be MVP is a funny idea.

EDIT : Can't download the patch. I don't know how that works. I click on the download button, but nothing happens.

Edited by Nintales

It's a Dropbox download. Assuming you're not on Presto!Opera or something, an annoying little overlay will present itself, along with a little blue link that says "No thanks, take me to the download". Click that link.

I've wanted to play FE12 in 0% growths for a while,so thank you for doing this !

Work fine for the most part, though I've gotten on chapter 9 and Etzel has absurdly high bases stats :

V2fVUKG.png?1

Also had Feena proc str on a level up,but it's not really important.

Small update - if a character was in the Fighter or Pirate class they would still have a 10% HP growth; Avatar could also rise above 0% HP growth by taking the Enlightened future option. Those errors have been fixed.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

No idea if you'll see this but Wolf is getting +1 to HP on level up in chapter 21 while I've gone through the whole game up to this point without any stat increases. No other units are getting stat increases in this chapter either. Might be because he as 110% HP growth as a general according to the wiki

Edited by ConfidenceKBM