So I'm starting a Lunatic run in FE13.

Draco

My personal and very loose definition of "spending too many turns" is, outside of earlygame where units are force deployed, is having at least three turns in a row in which the same two or fewer pairs do something and everyone else does nothing (including movement- they stay put or else don't move toward anything in particular).

If those turns are benefiting my whole team, they're not being wasted.

How do I do those gray box things where SSLPers put the stats of their units?

Are you referring to

This?

If so just put the enclosed text between [/code] and

, but the other way around.

Chrom has some very good training opportunities in Cht.5 and 7 against the Wyverns. Don't worry too much about him unless you pass those and he's still near base.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Yesss, thank you.

UNIT        HP      LV EXP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES
Chrom       21      2  86  8   1   8   8   6   8    1
Fred        36      8  40  15  3   16  12  8   18   5
MU          31     11  98  12  8   7*  11  12  9**  6  
Lissa       19      3  55  2   5   5   5   10  3    5

(nobody else has leveled up any *except kellam I think*, but I'm hoping to change that for Sumia)
* = flaw
** = asset

Edited by Reason

It's definitely doable to train a few units besides avatar, but you do have to manage their exp well at least early on and don't train too many at once. As far as Lunatic goes, I like to have a few units in mind that I want to train and just sink all the exp I can manage into them. I mean, don't worry if someone you aren't using in the long term gets like 1 kill here or there if that's what's gonna let you get through the chapter, but don't spread exp out too thin.

In my case I knew I wanted to use Sully and Panne, so I just got Avatar up to godmode by chapter 3 and fed Sully afterwards in 4 and para1, which are significantly easier chapters, and she was capable of frontlining by 5. Panne joined a bit later, so I let her have para2 and 7 in time to fly by chapter 8.

Edited by Thor Odinson

If you've seriously got 9 Def at Lv.11 with a Def asset, then you're probably screwed enough to warrant a reset (you should be +5 over base on average by now, instead it's only +1). That will seriously hurt midgame when your Avatar is supposed to be strong enough to run interference/act as a panic button so you can train other units.

Sumia can be very good if you get her going but she really needs to start immediately if you want her to do so without a lot of effort- it's possible for her to get a good number of Javelin kills in Cht.3 from the top and right sides, plus at least one Archer from the left. Since that's not happening, the next best thing you can do for her is to get her to S with Chrom as fast as possible- her B, A and S supports all build with just one chapter of fighting + either an Event Tile, Barracks or Seed of Trust (one in Renown), so they can reach S by the end of Cht.5 if you did Par.1. The huge DS boost from this (combined with Chrom's DS+ for around 75 DS) allows her to KO full HP enemies even with fairly low Atk, meaning she can feed on just about anything she can survive.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I could use my Dracoshield.

Plus, it is my asset, so I would guess it's only uphill from here. I had to keep resetting but I got a Def on most of my levels... which I then lost, but still.

Without loading up Fred with exp I'm usually looking at 15-17 Def on my +Def Avatars around Cht.3. Any less than 20 once midgame (Cht.7-11) starts and you won't be able to handle stuff without Fred, which means he won't be free to support any trainees. Even with the Dracoshield you've still got to get +9 Def minimum while splitting exp with any trainees (Chrom and Sumia).

It's definitely survivable but also a really big setback to have happen this early on. Lategame, being 4 Def below average is nothing. Here, though...

Define "a lot of turns". Irysa had good turn counts on his run and managed to get a lot of people off the ground. Are we all of a sudden assuming mega strict efficiency where only Avatar and Fred thrive? That pretty much shits all over discussing what like, the other 95% of the cast can do. Aside from maps where I dicked around, I've been able to pull turn counts around 4-7 per map which was still enough to get a handful of units off the ground. It's amazing how much shit the rest of the cast gets for not being Robin.

Not to hate on Irysa or anything here, but he took 15 turns for Chapter 11 for instance to spread out Exp which is way more than you need to beat that map. I'm not saying the OP needs to care about low turncounts or anything, but they should probably be aware that they will need to take extra turns to spoonfeed certain units kills or else they'll fall far behind the curve.

Yeah sorry Ownagepuffs but my Lunatic TCs were only decent in the second half of the game or so. I farmed the shit out of reinforcements in the first half on many maps to use that many units, my early TCs were not great and I waited until reinforcements had stopped spawning in maps up till 11 or so. (there are some exceptions, like chapter 10) I could have easily 3 or 4 turned Chapter 11 for example with just AvatarxLon'qu killing everything in the middle and LibraxSumia killing the mages. I don't even think training that many units is particularly helpful in Lunatic either, there are very few chapters I can think of where having 5 good pairs was better than potentially having 2 or 3 crazy strong pairs.

I'm inclined to say that the best balance is to aim to train two first gen pairings, probably either AvatarxChrom and some other pair or Chrom and Avatar both paired with different wives. Toss in Frederick as a utility unit for a while but don't try to make him longterm. Chrom can get EXP extremely easily in some of the early Lunatic maps thanks to Wyvernspam and Falchion, Avatar is self explanatory. I feel that if I'd removed one pair from my first gen use then I would have been able to basically avoid having to reinforcement farm, since there would have been enough EXP to go around from just the main enemies.

If you want a run that is actually quite efficient but uses a lot of (unconventional) units ,this is the one to look at. (although admittedly a lot of his units are pretty token in terms of their usefulness and the vast majority of the work is done by avatar, frederick and later brady)

Edited by Irysa

like training Donnel in his paralogue for 200 turns.

Oh gosh, I hope this sticks around..hahah

I've been able to pull turn counts around 4-7 per map which was still enough to get a handful of units off the ground. It's amazing how much shit the rest of the cast gets for not being Robin.

I always got a greater sense of accomplishment when finishing these kinds of runs with more characters. Allows for more tactics, and less place-avatar-end-turn shenanigans. Units like Stahl and Gregor were really useful to me in my first Lunatic and + playthroughs.

I could use my Dracoshield.

Plus, it is my asset, so I would guess it's only uphill from here. I had to keep resetting but I got a Def on most of my levels... which I then lost, but still.

Let's hope it's only uphill from here. You're gonna suffer some and then some more if that Def remains. I understand your reluctantness in resetting, but I would still recommend it though. You really got screwed in the Def-department.

If it's not an option, and your defense runs stagnant, then definitely use the Dracoshield.

It's definitely better now.

On Chapter 9 now, by the way.

MU is level 19 with:

HP: 37
STR: 17
MAG: 14
*SKL: 14
SPD: 15
LCK: 18
**DEF: 17
RES: 10

* = flaw