Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War Divine Crusade balance patch v 0.2

DiogoJorge

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fovxo6nzfv58rmm/Fire%20Emblem%204%20Divine%20Crusade%20V%200.2.ips?dl=0

Hi, this is my first project, so I'm not acknowledgeable about some things (like how to place this into a patch format, or where should I post the edited ROM after I'm finished with it), so I hope you can help me by keeping me informed of things I should be aware off.

Anyway, moving along, I'm naming this project, the Divine Crusade balance project. It could be changed in the future, but I like the sound of it, so most likely it will stay like this.

The goal of this project, is to rebalance FE4 so that playable characters that were too powerfull or too weak are balanced by nerfing/buffing them respectively. I'm also changing enemies so they fit with those changes.

Right now, I have already done some changes to the game via the FE4 editor and the Nightmare modules tools. However I have no idea how I'm supposed to post the file here, since I have no idea if it should be in patch format or if it can be posted as a file instead.

I also have no idea on how to convert the changes I've made into a patch, so I hope you could help me with that.

Turns out it might have been simpler than I tought. Anyway, I've tried to create a patch and used a unheadered file when asked for the unmodified file.

It's compatible with translations (as long as they are separate and named the same name as the SFC file) So if you want a translation of the game, you will have to do like I did and put it in the folder of the game as a separate file rather than patch over the already patched game.

Anyway, this is my first version of the change. So I guess I will call it Divine Crusader 0.01. Guess I didn't need that 3 days of time after all to do this.

I call this the Divine Crusade v.0.2. It really is just me testing the waters with the edit and nightmare tools. So don't expect it to be anything great, most likely it will have some mistakes that I have forgot to correct, but for now give it a try or don't and wait for me to do some extra touches in the future.

It works with the unheadered version. Translations are also compatible, the translations patches should be named the same as the game file so that both patches work together.

I will go on ahead and state some of the changes:

-Holy blood growths were nerfed. Major Blood accumulated growths are 70%, while minor blood is 35%. Holy Blood used to be 100% and 50% respectively.

- Changed Sigurd's,Azel's, Claud's,Tyltiu's and other people's starting classes. Sigurd is a Lord (not Knight Lord), Azel is a Dark Mage, Tiltyu is a Mage and Claud is a Bishop. Azel's and Tyltiu's promotions remain unchanged.

- Changed character's natural growths.

If there are any questions, please go ahead and post in this topic.

Edited by DiogoJorge

You must share your hack as a patch. Creating a patch is simple: just follow the Lunar IPS instructions. However, since FE4 is a SNES game, that means you've got to deal with the infamous copier headers. Roms around the internet sometimes have around 0x200 bytes of nothing at the start of the rom. If the bytes of nothing are present, the rom is headered. If not, then it's not. Don't forget to specify which type of rom you apply it to, or else no-one will know how to use your hack. Also, are you modifying a Japanese rom or an English patched one? This is another compatibly issue: if you made the edits on a rom with the old patch, it probably won't play nice with the Japanese/Project Naga roms. And one last note: DO NOT SHARE THE ROM. If you do, you'll get banned. Share the patch.

You must share your hack as a patch. Creating a patch is simple: just follow the Lunar IPS instructions. However, since FE4 is a SNES game, that means you've got to deal with the infamous copier headers. Roms around the internet sometimes have around 0x200 bytes of nothing at the start of the rom. If the bytes of nothing are present, the rom is headered. If not, then it's not. Don't forget to specify which type of rom you apply it to, or else no-one will know how to use your hack. Also, are you modifying a Japanese rom or an English patched one? This is another compatibly issue: if you made the edits on a rom with the old patch, it probably won't play nice with the Japanese/Project Naga roms. And one last note: DO NOT SHARE THE ROM. If you do, you'll get banned. Share the patch.

You can always post multiple patch versions, one where you used a headed rom as the "base rom" when runing lunar ips, and one where you used an unheaded rom as the base rom when runing lunar ips. If you really want to, you can post checksums (obtainable using 7zip, a hex editor, or NSRT, which is a really usefull romhacking untility program) for the base rom and correctly patched rom. None of this is required, or even common practice, but it will make your game easier to run.

For reference, Lunar IPS can be found here:http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/ and NSRT van be found here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/400/ If you want to do more complicated hacking (such as changing it so that more people can inherit sword skills, for example), you will need a hex editer. A good one is here: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Edited by sirmola

Hi, this is my first project, so I'm not acknowledgeable about some things (like how to place this into a patch format, or where should I post the edited ROM after I'm finished with it), so I hope you can help me by keeping me informed of things I should be aware off.

Anyway, moving along, I'm naming this project, the Divine Crusade balance project. It could be changed in the future, but I like the sound of it, so most likely it will stay like this.

The goal of this project, is to rebalance FE4 so that playable characters that were too powerfull or too weak are balanced by nerfing/buffing them respectively. I'm also changing enemies so they fit with those changes.

Right now, I have already done some changes to the game via the FE4 editor and the Nightmare modules tools. However I have no idea how I'm supposed to post the file here, since I have no idea if it should be in patch format or if it can be posted as a file instead.

I also have no idea on how to convert the changes I've made into a patch, so I hope you could help me with that.

Would you told me the changes?

This might be tougher than I tought. Guess I need to make some research. It's possible to combine 2 patches into 1? Like for instance, combining Gharnef's translation patch with what I'm planning. And I assume I would have probably have to ask for that translation's maker permission to use it.

Would you told me the changes?

Well, there are way too many to list. All I can say is that after testing, I realized that I might have overdone it with Arden.

Having 30 STR and 30 DEF at lv 20 seems a bit excessive. (altough it's a great shield against Eldigan).

For the record, I've changed Arden's STR growth to 50% and DEF growth to 55%. I'm thinking of reducing his bases to counter that. I've also given him a Iron Blade (not a regular iron sword). I've also changed the General caps and gave Arden the Sol and Nihil skill. I'm also in doubt if I should keep his movement as 5 or change it to 6. He also has some RES growth (25%). Decided to take the Benny aproach to his growths. Basically lots of DEF and some RES.

I've made Sigurd a regular Lord and increased the Lord's bases, while keeping Knight Lord's intact.

reduced all mounted units movement by 1. This might be a mistake on Pegasus Knights, since it makes Ferry unable to visit all the villages in chapter 2 whitout sacrificing some turns. so I might have to give Pegasus 8 move instead of the 7 planned for the other basic mounted classes.

That's just a example of some changes.

This might be tougher than I tought. Guess I need to make some research. It's possible to combine 2 patches into 1? Like for instance, combining Gharnef's translation patch with what I'm planning. And I assume I would have probably have to ask for that translation's maker permission to use it.

Sometimes it works, and usually it does not (if you touched any text or free space, then it almost certainly won't work.). You can try applying the patch to a translated ROM and see if anything breaks. If it doesn't work, you will have to manualy make all the changes to a ROM with the other patch applied.

Edited by sirmola

Well, there are way too many to list. All I can say is that after testing, I realized that I might have overdone it with Arden.

Having 30 STR and 30 DEF at lv 20 seems a bit excessive. (altough it's a great shield against Eldigan).

For the record, I've changed Arden's STR growth to 50% and DEF growth to 55%. I'm thinking of reducing his bases to counter that. I've also given him a Iron Blade (not a regular iron sword). I've also changed the General caps and gave Arden the Sol and Nihil skill. I'm also in doubt if I should keep his movement as 5 or change it to 6. He also has some RES growth (25%). Decided to take the Benny aproach to his growths. Basically lots of DEF and some RES.

I've made Sigurd a regular Lord and increased the Lord's bases, while keeping Knight Lord's intact.

reduced all mounted units movement by 1. This might be a mistake on Pegasus Knights, since it makes Ferry unable to visit all the villages in chapter 2 whitout sacrificing some turns. so I might have to give Pegasus 8 move instead of the 7 planned for the other basic mounted classes.

That's just a example of some changes.

Interesting ideas. I would definitely recommend play testing all the chapters if you're planning on reducing movement for all mounted classes, since many chapters are spaced in a way to make it difficult to move around and reach villages for anyone other than mounted/flying units.

For Arden, his biggest problem is definitely his movement, but his other problems might still get in the way. I don't know if you've heard of the shin patch, but it was a patch for FE4 that "balanced" some things but made the game harder as well. In the shin patch Arden started as a General and could actually promote to Baron, and could use all physical weapons if I remember right. I don't remember if his movement was altered, but if you're interested, the shin patch might be worth your time to read about.

Edited by fox73x

I recommend playing Shin's patch, the GBA port (you can find it around here) and so on to see what you're competing with and what you would change. Balancing the game has been done a billion times, so think of something with which your hack will be remembered.

Your avatar's kind of similar to someone else's avatar, and that threw me for a bit. Not your fault, since Sanger's amazing and all!

Anyway, four points:

1. Post ONLY the patch! I'd rather be a lazy mod and use my powers to bop spambots over the head. Direct any and all questions to the Questions subforum. Lots of good advice in these replies, though!

2. Don't double-post. If you need to quote multiple people, you can either use the Multiquote button, or open up all the quotes in individual tabs, and copy-paste them.

3. I suggest putting everything you want to change in the first post via the Edit button. If it's a long list (like a long list of growth tweaks), put it in spoiler tags. Feel free to drop me a PM if you need help formatting it!

4. What are your thoughts on this English patch? I'd recommend NOT bundling a translation patch on top of your own.

Interesting ideas. I would definitely recommend play testing all the chapters if you're planning on reducing movement for all mounted classes, since many chapters are spaced in a way to make it difficult to move around and reach villages for anyone other than mounted/flying units.

For Arden, his biggest problem is definitely his movement, but his other problems might still get in the way. I don't know if you've heard of the shin patch, but it was a patch for FE4 that "balanced" some things but made the game harder as well. In the shin patch Arden started as a General and could actually promote to Baron, and could use all physical weapons if I remember right. I don't remember if his movement was altered, but if you're interested, the shin patch might be worth your time to read about.

I actually tried it, and was disapointed with how ridiculously difficult he made saving villages. (it also doesn't help that the thieves get to keep their movement while mounted units get penalized)

Dancers with Miracle swords ravaging villages also doesn't make a lot of sense.

In fact, that's precisely why I nerfed the thieves movement. Mountain Brigands have 4 move now as a result, and Pirates have 5. I already tested it, and it worked fine whitout ruining the difficulty of saving villages. You still have to rush a bit in chapter 2, but it's not as unreasonable as Shin, which made saving the Bargain Village almost impossible whitout some serious luck.

Sometimes it works, and usually it does not (if you touched any text or free space, then it almost certainly won't work.). You can try applying the patch to a translated ROM and see if anything breaks. If it doesn't work, you will have to manualy make all the changes to a ROM with the other patch applied.

Alright. I will keep that in mind, I will do some testing and see what happens.

Your avatar's kind of similar to someone else's avatar, and that threw me for a bit. Not your fault, since Sanger's amazing and all!

Anyway, four points:

1. Post ONLY the patch! I'd rather be a lazy mod and use my powers to bop spambots over the head. Direct any and all questions to the Questions subforum. Lots of good advice in these replies, though!

2. Don't double-post. If you need to quote multiple people, you can either use the Multiquote button, or open up all the quotes in individual tabs, and copy-paste them.

3. I suggest putting everything you want to change in the first post via the Edit button. If it's a long list (like a long list of growth tweaks), put it in spoiler tags. Feel free to drop me a PM if you need help formatting it!

4. What are your thoughts on this English patch? I'd recommend NOT bundling a translation patch on top of your own.

I changed my Avatar, it was just a temporary Avatar until I could find one that fits me more. I like Sanger, but Kent is really more fitting to my personality.

I'm aware of that english patch. Project Naga is very good, better than Gharnef's IMO. Altough sadly it isn't compatible with Zsnes. It only works with Snes9x for some reason. I guess I would use that one. But that means that one won't be able to fast foward frames like in Zsnes.

I recommend playing Shin's patch, the GBA port (you can find it around here) and so on to see what you're competing with and what you would change. Balancing the game has been done a billion times, so think of something with which your hack will be remembered.

My goodness the sprite art in your signature is pretty great.

I actually tried it, and was disapointed with how ridiculously difficult he made saving villages. (it also doesn't help that the thieves get to keep their movement while mounted units get penalized)

Dancers with Miracle swords ravaging villages also doesn't make a lot of sense.

In fact, that's precisely why I nerfed the thieves movement. Mountain Brigands have 4 move now as a result, and Pirates have 5. I already tested it, and it worked fine whitout ruining the difficulty of saving villages. You still have to rush a bit in chapter 2, but it's not as unreasonable as Shin, which made saving the Bargain Village almost impossible whitout some serious luck.

Yes, the Shin patch is a bit absurd. So many enemies with wrath... -_-

Reducing pirate/brigand movement seems like a good way to balance out the reduced movement of mounted units. Again, testing things out would be the best way to know for sure, since you still want village rescuing to be an urgent matter that pushes the player forward. Genealogy has very large maps, and reducing the movement of mounted units might make the game seem more tedious, especially since it already takes a long time to move units from one side of the map to another, but definitely try it out and see how it works!

Honestly the game would be already balanced if mounted units lost canto and foot units got one more movement.

In all seriousness I wished Dew would become useful in combat and Arden wouldn't be left behind anymore.

Arden was way more usable in FEIV because he had a skill which didn't give him terrain movement penalty. However in this hack the maps were much smaller (only a segment of the FE4 chapter map) so it was easier for him to catch up the others.

Maybe a few skills should be nerfed. Astra should work like in FE9. (5 x 0,5 damage)

play fe4rm. its japanese if you're accustomed with the controls, you'll have a good time.

i think nerfing movement is dumb because it will make a slow game slower. if you want to balance mounts/infantry, do it stat wise. geneology of tordo did this well, very few mounted units had pursuit and infantry had better stats.

My goodness the sprite art in your signature is pretty great.

Yes, the Shin patch is a bit absurd. So many enemies with wrath... -_-

Reducing pirate/brigand movement seems like a good way to balance out the reduced movement of mounted units. Again, testing things out would be the best way to know for sure, since you still want village rescuing to be an urgent matter that pushes the player forward. Genealogy has very large maps, and reducing the movement of mounted units might make the game seem more tedious, especially since it already takes a long time to move units from one side of the map to another, but definitely try it out and see how it works!

Well, if it gets really bad, then I guess I could do the opposite. Have all foot units have 6 move and upon promotion gain a extra point while keeping the mounted units the same as the original (8-9 move respectively). General and the like would still have 6 move even after promotion tough.

Honestly the game would be already balanced if mounted units lost canto and foot units got one more movement.

In all seriousness I wished Dew would become useful in combat and Arden wouldn't be left behind anymore.

Arden was way more usable in FEIV because he had a skill which didn't give him terrain movement penalty. However in this hack the maps were much smaller (only a segment of the FE4 chapter map) so it was easier for him to catch up the others.

Maybe a few skills should be nerfed. Astra should work like in FE9. (5 x 0,5 damage)

I found a easy way to make Dew usefull, raise his starting level to 5 and adjust his stats acordingly by giving him bigger bases but worst growths (I mean, a thief with 40% growth in DEF doesn't make much sense to begin with). And of course, I'm giving him Pursuit as a class skill. And I maybe I'm going too far with this, but I also gave him Loptyr blood minor so that he might have some luck using magic swords after gaining some levels.s a bit. Needless to say, I also nerfed Holy Blood growths.

I don't think I can edit skills, at least I don't think so with the Nightmare and editor tools. I need to explore Nightmare further to confirm this.

Well then. I'm going to stop posting for a while and see if I can create a patch so that people can try it out and give me some feedback. I need to do some research on the matter and I have real life as well to consider, so I'm going to stop posting for the next 3 days or so, don't bother ask me anything in the meanwhile.

Well then. I'm going to stop posting for a while and see if I can create a patch so that people can try it out and give me some feedback. I need to do some research on the matter and I have real life as well to consider, so I'm going to stop posting for the next 3 days or so, don't bother ask me anything in the meanwhile.

Turns out, I was wrong. Guess I didn't need those 3 days after all, and I'm already ready to post the patch (a inferior v.0.01 at that, as I called it). I just have no idea where I can post it. Since I've been looking around in Serene's forest and I can't see some sort of post hack option in the rom hacks section.

Anyway, don't expect it to be much good, since I only tested it as far as chapter 3, and I'm in the middle of chapter 4.

Edited by DiogoJorge

if you want to post a patch post it in your first post of this topic. and then tell us you posted one.

Updating the title of your thread to like "Version XX available" helps as well

Edited by ghast

if you want to post a patch post it in your first post of this topic. and then tell us you posted one.

Updating the title of your thread to like "Version XX available" helps as well

It says that I'm not permitted to post it. Is it because it's a IPS file?

Not sure why that's happening...

Are you trying to send it as an attachment?

Try using Dropbox. Sign up for it and make a folder and then put your patch in that folder then link it here.

God dammit, what!? O_o

I am LITERALLY doing the SAME project with the SAME programs (FE4Edit and Nightmare) right now, and it's also my first hacking project! How is this sort of good/bad luck even possible!?

Anyway, if you guys are still interested of seeing my view on FE4 balancing (at least, until you give me your suggestions), then I'll be glad to post my patch as well! ^^

Not sure why that's happening...

Are you trying to send it as an attachment?

Try using Dropbox. Sign up for it and make a folder and then put your patch in that folder then link it here.

Thanks for the help. Seems like Dropbox is the way to go.

Um... is it normal that none of the first six characters (Sigurd, Alec, Noish, Ardan, Lex and Azel) got any changes?