Translation patches

VincentASM

Just curious, are you guys planning to switch to Gharnef's translation of FE4 or offer it as an alternate download link? I think mentioning it in the OP, especially with the large progress it has made, would be a pretty good idea. It already has a patch available and having played it for many hours, doesn't seem to have any bugs currently.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it was known, but just in case it wasn't, TearRing Saga's translation patch was updated a couple weeks ago:

Hi all,

Maybe you don't know yet but the new patch of Tear Ring Saga was just released few weeks ago.

Changelog:

Fixed:
1./ Morse Tower
2./ Back screen and crash at some MAP as report from patch 0.8 due to missing death message/control code
3./ Line break in the middle of word

Updates:
1./ English MAP title
2./ Items description alignment
3./ VS Mode is now in English (I suggest that do not change your VS team name because strange character added too, this error also exist in JAP version)

Webpage: http://ayashiigamesubs.blogspot.com/
direct download link: http://ayashii.com/blog/TearRing0.85.ppf.zip

Regards,

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,16802.0.html

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps not a completely necessary post, but since I noticed quite a few people have problems with hardpatching on SNES ROMs...

Recently on romhacking.net an application called "Tush" was released with some basic Zelda: LttP hacks.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1529/

It is a program that can detect and add/remove copier headers. As a personal preference I'd like to see copier headers removed from all future patching/hack projects since copier headers are merely a confusing holdover from the Super Magicom days, but eh.

As for ROM sources - I will not go into too much detail, but I'll merely say that the most trustworthy ROM DAT for retail games currently is no-intro. I would suggest to make sure whatever ROMs you obtain are checked through them. (Or, in the event the BS FEs get a translation patch someday, are checked through -me-.)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like copier headers either, but unfortunately these issues still persist mostly because there isn't quite enough of a common consensus for this issue.

For the time being, Tush is probably the most intuitive workaround. I've been using it to apply patches to Seisen and Thracia so far.

• 2 months later...

OK, two questions.

1: For headered roms, is it recommended to look for a workaround? Because I tried a hardpatch of FE 4 + 5, and 4 seems to be alright, while 5 is much more awkward with all 3 versions. Any recommendations there?

2: If you happen to have a previously patched rom of FE12, can you try to get an update patch, or does it have to be clean and if so is there any way to remove the patch?

Let me know if I unintentionally broke any rules, as I'm not sure if these questions may break them.

OK, two questions.

1: For headered roms, is it recommended to look for a workaround? Because I tried a hardpatch of FE 4 + 5, and 4 seems to be alright, while 5 is much more awkward with all 3 versions. Any recommendations there?

2: If you happen to have a previously patched rom of FE12, can you try to get an update patch, or does it have to be clean and if so is there any way to remove the patch?

Let me know if I unintentionally broke any rules, as I'm not sure if these questions may break them.

There are numerous programs created specifically for trimming off the headers, if you need them gone. You can also add headers, if you need them. Most emulators will tell you if the ROM has a header or not, too, if you are unsure.

For updating, it mostly depends on what the group changed between revisions. If data was rearranged between patches, then you would be better off patching a fresh ROM, and this usually the default route you ought to take. Saves will still be compatible, unless for some reason the translation team decided to modify how saves work.

To follow up:

1: Is there a link to such software on site? I'll find it myself if so.

2: How can I check which version (Think this has HoS's patch, but not certain)?

For the first question, I haven't used any myself, but I'm sure romhacking dot net has some utilities for stripping or adding headers in their program section :) If not, just google something like 'add snes header' or 'remove snes header' and you'll find something useful.

As for checking the version, most translation groups will leave a version number in the title of the file you downloaded, in the file's readme, or will have it display in the game itself during a titlescreen or other intro screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The FE6 translation patch available in the thread linked in my sig isn't quite complete, but it does fix a lot of glitches from the original patch (not to mention revise the script). As such, it's probably more complete than the original patch was.

Any chance it could get some representation in the first post of this thread?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I tried patching Sword of Seals, but I've come across some problems. During some conversations, character portraits won't show up. Also, some of the words show up as hearts instead. Here's an example of the latter:

post-10910-0-55002200-1395097910_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

The Thracia translation patch needs a certain version of the ROM. Two versions of Thracia were released: the NP version and the V.ROM version. And each version might have a header or might not have a header. Find out what version your patch needs, as well as whether it needs a header or not. This means there are a total of four kinds (at least)of FE5 games you need to sift through, one of which the patch will work for.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to play Gharnef's latest FE4 patch, and I have the load the game, get a black screen issue. Without the patch, it works fine. I'm assuming the roms I've tried are unheadered, but I've tried like 4 different roms already. Could there be some other issue? Is there an easy way to tell if the rom is headered or not? I'm, on a Mac btw.

I'm trying to play Gharnef's latest FE4 patch, and I have the load the game, get a black screen issue. Without the patch, it works fine. I'm assuming the roms I've tried are unheadered, but I've tried like 4 different roms already. Could there be some other issue? Is there an easy way to tell if the rom is headered or not? I'm, on a Mac btw.

Get a hex editor. Hex Miner is the only Mac hex editor I know of, so try that one. Open your unpatched rom. if the first 0x200 bytes are mostly zeroes then it is headered. If not then it is unheadered.

If it turns out to be unheadered then just insert 0x200 zero bytes at the start of the ROM, then apply the patch. Alternatively you could add one with SNESTool but that will take more work since SNESTool is a DOS application.

Edited by shinpichu

Get a hex editor. Hex Miner is the only Mac hex editor I know of, so try that one. Open your unpatched rom. if the first 0x200 bytes are mostly zeroes then it is headered. If not then it is unheadered.

If it turns out to be unheadered then just insert 0x200 zero bytes at the start of the ROM, then apply the patch. Alternatively you could add one with SNESTool but that will take more work since SNESTool is a DOS application.

Thanks. I'll try that later.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure where I should post a topic about this (the TRS subforum or the Hacking subforum?), but I've joined the group that worked on the old TearRing Saga patch and am in the process of mass-editing the script to bring it up to scratch.

So yeah. It's not dead (at least not anymore)! No ETA for now, though.