Eyebrow Assistance

Titamon

I'm kind of new to kind to spriting and I've been having a little trouble

x9mUi.png

You see this guy? He's supposed to be an adult version of Ross from Sacred Stones, but these eyebrows are giving me a lot of trouble. Can some experienced spriters out there give me some advice?

the eyebrows are too long

you can google "eyebrow golden ratio" for tips and images :):

the High Point on the eyebrow arch can be found on a line connecting the tip of the nose to the center of the iris; and where the eyebrow should end can be found on a line running through the edge of the corresponding nostril through the outer edge of the eye

They're waaaay too long. He has, like, Rocky's smarm brow.

Well Ross and his dad have very very thick eyebrows, that's what I was going for

*chuckles to himself*

Your profile says your a woman dry.gif

the eyebrows are too long

you can google "eyebrow golden ratio" for tips and images :):

This helped! Thanks!

Is your avatar from the original power rangers?

Yes!

Your profile says your a woman dry.gif

A woman who cares a lot about spelling and grammar.

"You're*"

As for your mug, the eyebrows need to blend more, using the skin tones to make it seem less, pasted on.

[spoiler=You should open up a jewelry store with the amount of rings you got, sir]nKbS.png

Red: "Would you like to sleep on my pillow arm? It's so fluffy~"

You should probably work on shading that correctly instead of raping that poor, little area with the darker skin tones. I'd reference some of the sleeveless men in FE7.

Green: "That's not an A-A+...that's a D-."

If I rubbed my finger across those edges, I'd probably cry like a little girl, scream for a band-aid, and beg for a lollipop. Waaaaay to jagged. You gotta do some Anti-aliasing there.

Orange: "YOU DON'T KNOW THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!"

You gotta shade some face for a light patch there, man. You can't really mix the FE6/7 style shading with FE8. If you are going for FE7, shade over there with some lightest tone. Otherwise, for the FE8, use that orange color on the lower half of that face like the other FE8 sprites.

Magenta: "Has anyone seen my outline? I feel naked without it."

Yeaaaaaaah. Open here. Need outline please. Looks cut off.

Cyan: "Watch your step. Don't wanna hit a hole!"

It's not a HUUUUUUGE deal, like one that destroys the aesthetic of the sprite, but it's kinda distracting. Filling that little green hole with border color would suffice.

Yellow: "Oh ho ho ho. Suns out today. Got plenty of shade!"

These are just shading flumps. The hair one is kinda weird, and the arm is like LOLTOOMUCH and makes it look deformed...or like a cancerous mole. Take your pick. There are other places on the mug too, but the other ring got in the way.

Not to mention his arm needs muscle definition. Don't trust Dieck's arm shading, it's all sorts of wrong. Look to the FE7 men with their arms showing for arm shading advice.

you guys have such eyes for details it's almost frightening

Yup yup yup! It's what it's like here! You joined in February? You'll get used to it eventually xD Skilled spriters are very picky and will critique any mishap. But it's not at all a bad thing. They help spriters become more "professional" and as long as they're making others think of the tiniest little details, then they can make their sprites look much much cleaner and become a bit easier on the eyes as well~ And they can eventually become super impressive!!

These people that focus on details are often those who make the most amazing and even original looking customs and splices. They know what they're talking about~!

They just love love love acting all ~cute~ and ~cuddly~ and ~funny~ about it like Char here is.

But ignore the methods anyway! Spriters here just need to listen to what they have to say and ignore the rest if it bothers them. But it really improves the spriters if they listen.

And I guess if I post I should actually try contributing...

Personally I don't really like the way the shading around and below his jaw looks either but that's just me, since for all I know you might've spliced that in... But it mostly looks like there's a little too much dark or something like right along the jaw... Can't really say anything on the part below it though because while it does look kinda goofy to me I still think that's probably normal.

Some of the strands coming across the headband look a little blocky as well. Maybe if you mess around with the coloring/shading there, by smoothing things out, that might fix it.... Also the strands might need to kinda curve/curl more smoothly. Like it looks like it just a sudden bend? Ummmm sorry for horrible wording XD

Yeah but in the eyes of many new spriters you're seeing a lot of things they don't. It just depends on perspective~

Edited by Freohr Datia

Yes, it is! But that still doesn't change how new spriters can't see what looks weird that "specifically" XD It's still an eye for detail because they wouldn't know for, therefore leading them to say and think skilled spriters can see a whooole lot.