Pokemon Team Building Thread

Dwarfishh

Didn't see a thread for this, so I thought I'd make one, to save on space if anyone else needs help with team construction.

I'll start off, since I need some tips on buffing up my team, since I'm on a roughly 50/50 win rate atm.

[spoiler=Conkeldurr]

Moves: Bulk Up

Drain Punch

Ice Punch

Fire Punch

Item: Focus Sash Ability:Iron Fists

Nature: Adamant(+Atk, -SpA)

EVs:

HP-252

Atk-252

Def-4

[spoiler=Jellicent]

Moves: Protect

Will-O-Wisp

Recover

???

Item: Leftovers Ability:Cursed body

Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)

EVs:

HP-252

SpD-252

Def-4

[spoiler=Noivern]

Moves: Flamethrower

Dragon Pulse

U-Turn

Hurricane

Item:Choice Specs Ability:Infiltrator

Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

EVs:

Spe-252

SpA-252

SpD-4

[spoiler=Gyarados]

Moves: Dragon Dance

Waterfall

Earthquake

Bite

Item: Gyaradosite Ability:Intimidate

Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)

EVs:

HP-4

Atk-252

Spe-252

[spoiler=Chandelure]

Moves: Flamethrower

Shadow Ball

Energy Ball (Water coverage)

Will-O-Wisp

Item: Choice Scarf Ability:Flash Fire (Switch in when fire type is facing Ferrothorn)

Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)

EVs:

SpD-4

HP-252

SpA-252

[spoiler=Gliscor]

Moves: Knock Off

Toxic

Substitute

Roost

Item: Toxic Orb Ability:Poison Heal

Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)

EVs:

HP-252

Def-184

Spe-72

So, yeah...

Edited by Dwarven Darkness

Okay...

Rocks really mess with your team

There's not much to stop someone from getting rid of your rocks.

You're using physical greninja

You have two physical walls, and no special wall

Greninja eats half your team

Most scarfed special attackers can eat your team alive

What will you do when a Sableye is definitely going to use will-o-wisp? Nevermind, chandelure, but knock off also exists. Also charcoal > Flame Plate

Keldeo manhandles your team.

Edited by Comet

Okay...

Rocks really mess with your team

There's not much to stop someone from getting rid of your rocks.

You're using physical greninja

You have two physical walls, and no special wall

Greninja eats half your team

Most scarfed special attackers can eat your team alive

What will you do when a Sableye is definitely going to use will-o-wisp? Nevermind, chandelure, but knock off also exists. Also charcoal > Flame Plate

Keldeo manhandles your team.

I was aware of the rock problem, after a magic bounce really messed me up. Any suggestions on how to sort it out?

Physical Greninja isn't that bad, his attack is only 8 points lower than special,and people always prepare for a special one.

As for a special wall, I was thinking of swapping ferrothorn for a cursed body Jellicent, which can also deal with choice pokemon quite well. Possibly using trick and a choice band, to lock them into the move, and hopefully disable it. It also resists/is immune to both of Keldeos STABs.

Simulator for now, but I want to create the team on 3ds once it's finalised

K, one more question: Is this for doubles or singles?

I was aware of the rock problem, after a magic bounce really messed me up. Any suggestions on how to sort it out?

Physical Greninja isn't that bad, his attack is only 8 points lower than special,and people always prepare for a special one.

As for a special wall, I was thinking of swapping ferrothorn for a cursed body Jellicent, which can also deal with choice pokemon quite well. Possibly using trick and a choice band, to lock them into the move, and hopefully disable it. It also resists/is immune to both of Keldeos STABs.

A spinner or a defogger would be useful.

True but you do have another physical Water type with Gyarados.

Furthermore, your Ferrothorn has no offensive moves and is nerfed by Taunt. Replace Thunder Wave with Gyro Ball or Protect with Power Whip.

Psychic's rather low powered on Noivern. Consider switching that out for U-Turn's or Switcheroo. Likewise, consider Draco Meteor instead of Dragon Pulse.

I'm pretty sure there's better options than Iron Head for a Mega Gyarados. Bite gets STAB, Ice Fang hits a lot of types, Substitute prevents burns, Taunt is good with Intimidate and Gyarados' bulk and Stone Edge is also available.

I'd probably put a Choice item or a Life Orb on that Chandelure.

Edited by Woodshooter

A spinner or a defogger would be useful.

True but you do have another physical Water type with Gyarados.

Furthermore, your Ferrothorn has no offensive moves and is nerfed by Taunt. Replace Thunder Wave with Gyro Ball or Protect with Power Whip.

Psychic's rather low powered on Noivern. Consider switching that out for U-Turn's or Switcheroo. Likewise, consider Draco Meteor instead of Dragon Pulse.

I'm pretty sure there's better options than Iron Head for a Mega Gyarados. Bite gets STAB, Ice Fang hits a lot of types, Substitute prevents burns and Stone Edge is also available.

I'd probably put a Choice item or a Life Orb on that Chandelure.

Greninja is protean, and high speed, so he's rarely water type, but I may experiment. It's just that if I change him to special, I have 3 special attackers, and one physical. I may see if I can find something to switch. I was thinking a fighting type, to cover dark, since I have 2 ghosts

I've swapped ferrothorn for a Jellicent, and I'll put its build up soon

I've given noivern U turn, and Dragon tail to Gyarados, on the off chance there's something dangerous he can't one shot (So I don't have to swich out and lose dragon dance)

Chandelure is now scarfed

Jellicent is a third Water type on your team on top of being a second Ghost. Consider Sylveon if you desire a special tank.

Dragon Tail and Dragon Dance are counterproductive together. With Dragon Tail you'd want a bulkier set such as RestTalk with different EVs and nature.

Edited by Woodshooter

I would also say get rid of dragon tail and replace with maybe dragon claw if you have to have a dragon move

Edit: Your Gliscor set is fine, but I'd also like to recommend

Toxic

Protect

Substitute

Knock Off/Earthquake/Ice Fang

Edited by Reshiram

Jellicent is a third Water type on your team on top of being a second Ghost. Consider Sylveon if you desire a special tank.

Dragon Tail and Dragon Dance are counterproductive together. With Dragon Tail you'd want a bulkier set such as RestTalk with different EVs and nature.

I've removed Greninja in favour of conkeldurr (covers dark, and has fire punch to cover grass attacks on the water types) , and swapped dragon tail for bite on Gyarados)

I've removed Greninja in favour of conkeldurr (covers dark, and has fire punch to cover grass attacks on the water types) , and swapped dragon tail for bite on Gyarados)

I'm not sure I follow your train of thought.

Besides, this is better :

Adamant

252 Attack, 4 Defense, 252 Special Defense

Assault Vest

Guts

Drain Punch

Ice Punch or Stone Edge

Knock Off

Mach Punch

Edited by Woodshooter

I'm not sure I follow your train of thought.

Yeah, that wasn't phrased very well...

I meant I can fire punch grass types, since I have 2 water types, one of which is my mega. It makes them less of a threat to the team as a whole.

Ice also hits Grass. Fire helps against Ice, Bug and Steel, but Fighting is already good against Steel and Stealth Rocks cover the other two.

Ice also hits Flying, which is important since Conkeldurr attracts those, Dragon and Ground. It's better overall than Fire Punch for Conkeldurr.

Focus sash is terrible for conkeldurr. I'd recommend using either an assalt vest (you'd have to get rid of bulk up, though), a life orb, or even a flame orb, changing the ability to guts.

The EVs are okay, but you should change the last 4 EVs to SP DEF, and maybe even put some of the HP EVs in it. Conkeldurr is really bulky phisically, and by putting some IVs (around 50 or so) on SP. DEF, you will have an all around bulky pokemon, specially with the assault vest.

EDIT: The smogon sets for conkeldurr are really good:

Edited by NOBODY

I think:

Get rid of mega gyarados and do the old bulky set

Replace Gliscor with Mega Scizor.

Agreeing with the Jellicent thing.

Also trick > Will-O-Wisp on chandelure.

Remember to set the attack IVs of special attackers to 0.

Edited by Comet

• 2 weeks later...

I need help creating a team for doubles, this team is for the actual game and not a simulator and I'm not applying smogon's bans, this is simply to win online matches on the cartridge game and have fun. Also, I'm developing this over a long period of time.

My current team plan is:

Aegislash- Stance Change

Adamant, max Atk and HP evs

Iron Head

Iron Defence

Shadow Sneak

King's Shield

Weakness Policy

I used this in the simulator a lot before, Iron Defence is useful in tanking earthquakes and knock-offs, then I retaliate with a boosted shadow sneak. Iron Head is to get rid of fairies. I don't know really what to change other than perhaps evs.

Tyranitar- Sandstream

Adamant, max Atk and Sp. Def

Rock Slide

Taunt

Pursuit

Protect

Leftovers

I haven't put too much thought into this one, but basically I want a defensive Pokemon who can dish out some extra damage.

Rotom Washing Machine- Levitate

haven't decided yet

Volt Switch

Will o Wisp

Hydro Pump

Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray, Swagger or Protect

I need something to help get rid of water types, this seemed the best to me.

Blaziken- Speed Boost

Adamant, max Atk and Spd

Blaze Kick

High Jump Kick

Baton Pass

Protect

Focus Sash

My plan with this is to have an anti-tyranitar baton pass user. Blaze Kick is there because I'd prefer to have at least one move that won't damage myself after focus sash. Baton pass is there so I can pass the speed to my next two Pokemon, Charizard or Salamence.

Charizard- Blaze/Tough Claws

Adamant, max Atk and Spd

Dragon Dance

Roost

Outrage

Flare Blitz

Charizardite X

I find this set pretty reliable, it doesn't necessarily need Blaziken to set up unlike Salamence. I don't plan to use both Salamence and Charizard at once since both are tailored to fit different situations.

Salamence- Intimidate/Aerialate

Timid, max Sp. Atk and Spd

Hydro Pump

Hyper Voice

Heat Wave

Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor

Salamencite

This one is based on a Pokemon that hasn't been released yet, but assuming that it's Sp. Atk and Spd don't decrease, I believe this might be a devastating doubles moveset. Unfortunately, if it's Mega Evolution doesn't raise its speed above Garchomps, then it will need Blaziken to help set it up. One advantage I find about using Blaziken as a Baton Pass user is that people will use moves like earthquake and surf to try and eliminate it, which salamence will resist. (I am aware I'll need to transfer this)

I currently have no intention of changing the last three Pokemon, except for their movesets and stats.

I see several problems with the team. Right off the back I see that there are three pokemon weak to ghost. Which means that a under used pokemon like Froslass could potentially wreck 4 members of your party. Potentially 5 if Conkeldurr was already low on health. Another problem I see is that you don't have an answer for a bulky water/ground type like Swampert, Seismitoad, or Quagsire. With the release of ORAS coming soon you are bound to see people use Mega Swampert. I would suggest adding a pokemon with a grass move to combat such a threat. Also, having two pokemon with a quadruple weakness to ice is devastating. Another point back to Froslass being able to wreck you hard. I suggest you replace Noivern or Gliscor with either a Poison, Fairy, or Grass type. If you are planning to replace Gliscor I'd recommend another tanky pokemon like Venasaur. If Noivern, then choise a special sweeper like Sylveon.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys, I'm still reworking the team a bit, but This has helped a lot. Now I'm looking for help with my UU team. It's reached over 1300 in showdown, in a fairly short amount of time, but I would like a second opinion. This is probably the team I put the most effort into, so yeah... (Bonus points for getting the nickname references)

[spoiler=The team]Syd (Scrafty) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 148 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

B.B (Nidoking) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Toxic Spikes
- Rock Slide

Naptime (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Floyd (Blastoise-Mega) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Protect

Goyle (Noivern) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Natsu (Darmanitan) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Everything looks okay except for the lack of dragon dance on Scrafty

But then he'd have to use a different item. If anything I'd change Moxie for Intimidate instead, perhaps also going for Poison Jab over Fire Punch against Fairies.

Nidoking would be much better with a Sheer Force set as well, whether he goes for a Choice Scarf or a Life Orb. If you prefer to use him for hazards, get a Nidoqueen instead for some durability and go for Sheer Force and some other moves.

Edited by Woodshooter

The tryhardiest team I have ever made. Any threats I need to watch out for?

Pinsir (M) @ Pinsirite

Ability: Hyper Cutter

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

Jolly

- Return

- Quick Attack

- Close Combat

- Swords Dance

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest

Ability: Huge Power

EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD

Adamant