Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U Tournament Hub (Please see post #1644)

Ema Skye

The Serenes Forest Super Smash Bros. Tournament Thread

Maintained by: Starbound (Doofina) and Sara (Elieson)

Approved by: Red Fox of Fire

In an effort to combat a cluttered forum, this tournament thread has been created. Its purpose is to act as a location where Super Smash Bros. tournaments can be organized. Anyone is welcome to host a tournament here, but we ask that you enter it through a queue line to avoid creating a mess. We’re a very laid back community and the rules here reflect that, but there are things you must be aware of to ensure that things run smoothly here.

Guidelines for Hosting a Tournament

1. All tournaments are to be ran through this thread. In the event that your tournament has 32 entrants or greater, you will be allowed to make your own thread. This is from a request from Red Fox of Fire to have all tournaments put in this thread unless they are sufficiently large.

2. Effective October 5 2014, a signup page using www.challonge.com is required. When you post the signups for your tournament, you must include the link to the signup page so people can sign up.

3. Tournaments are to enter a queue by PMing your request to host a tournament to myself. If it isn't on the queue, you can't host it. No exceptions will be made.

4. The queue exists so that everyone can host a tournament without feeling like they are competing with others for a person’s attention. As a rule of thumb, tournament signups for the soonest tournament first. When the soonest fills up, the next soonest can start. If you believe that your tournament will require additional signup time, please see me. If your tournament is the soonest, you may post signups without approval. All other circumstances will require approval before posting.

5. Be a nice host. Don’t rig the bracket. Disqualify players fairly. However, if the need arises where you need to disqualify someone to speed up your tournament, you should disqualify them.

Guidelines for Participating in Tournaments

1. This is obvious, but please try to be available during the tournament before signing up. As a rule of thumb, try to have a few hours a day when you can play. Actively seek out your opponent to arrange a time to play. If you feel like your opponent is too tough to connect with, contact the tournament host.

2. Please act like a decent human being. Don’t purposefully disconnect. Report results accurately. Don’t seek out loopholes to try to win.

3. Make sure people know your friend code. Ideally you should post it on the discussion page for the Challonge tournament.

To host a tournament, all you have to do is submit the dates when you want to run your tournament and the type of tournament it is. I will accept all tournaments, and I will put it on the calendar. You will also need to specify the game (Wii U or 3DS). When selecting a date, don’t just pick one day. Try to anticipate how long you see your tournament taking place and allot yourself that many days. This is to ensure that we won’t have two tournaments going at the same time. If you feel as if you need an extension because something came up, contact me and I will try to work something out.

To sign up for a tournament, simply click the www.challonge.com url provided by the host and click the signup button. Then go to the discussion tab on the left and post your friend code.

Here is a default tournament ruleset for each game that you can use if you don't want to come up with your own.

[spoiler=3DS Ruleset]

3 stock, 8 minutes, Best of 3

Items off

Double elimination

Participants: 16

Custom movesets allowed. Custom equipment is not.

You may change your character in between matches.

No character restrictions.

No stage may be played multiple times in a set (this also applies to Final Destination and Omega forms)

In the event of a suicide victory, the character the game declares to be the winner is the winner.

In the event that time runs out, the person with the higher percent wins.

Stages:

- Battlefield

- Yoshi's Island

- Final Destination

- Prism Tower

- Arena Ferox

- Tomodachi Life

- Any omega form

[spoiler=Wii U Ruleset]

3 stock, 8 minutes, Best of 3

Items off

Double elimination

Participants: 16

Custom movesets allowed. Custom equipment is not.

You may change your character in between matches

No character restrictions.

No stage may be played multiple times in a set (this also applies to Final Destination and Omega forms)

In the event of a suicide victory, the character the game declares the winner wins the match

In the event that time runs out, the character with the higher percent wins.

Stages:

- Battlefield

- Final Destination

- Smashville

- Town and City

- Duck Hunt

- Kongo Jungle 64

- Castle Siege

- Lylat Cruise

- Delfino Plaza

- Skyloft

- Wuhu Island

- Pilotwings

- Pokemon Stadium 2

- Big Battlefield

- Windy Hill Zone

- Any omega form

To close with, I’d like you all to know that if you have any issues with anything presented in this post, contact me in private with your concerns and we can talk it out.

Please see the following Google Doc for the queue, schedule and past tournament results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/125w2p_guvgl83RMhYzJSmn44UBrZzvINIprV4xUYLoM/edit#gid=466394353

Edited by Starbound

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Launch Day Hype Tournament

Pro Tip for Future Hosts: Here's an easy format for your tournament post.

Date of Event: Saturday October 4.

Start Time: 11am PST / 2pm EST

End Time: Sunday October 5 at 9pm PST / 12am EST

Tournament Host: Doofina

Tournament Rules

- 2 stock, 5 minutes. Each set is Best of 3. Finals is Best of 5.

- Single Elimination (lose one set and you're out)

- Maximum Number of Participants: 16

- No character restrictions

- Custom movesets are allowed. Custom equipment is not.

- You may change your character and/or custom moves in between matches.

- Items must be turned off!

- Each match can be played on one of the following stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Prism Tower, Arena Ferox, Reset Bomb Forest, Yoshi's Island and Rainbow Road. Every other stage, including Omega forms, isn't able to be played on. Once a stage has been played on, it may not be played again.

- Leaderboard Points: +20 for winning a set.

- Please contact me by October 1 if you are not able to make it to the tournament so I can give your spot to someone else.

Participants

1. Doofina FC: 0791-3590-5034

2. Jedi. FC: 4871-3983-7566

3. PJSalt. FC: 0430-8521-9259

4. Ice Sage. FC: 1048-8056-7132

5. EvilG: FC: 5343-7963-5206

6. Shulk. FC: 2707-1630-5051

7. Smogon'sLawnMower. FC: 2363-5782-8782

8. Burakkuhoku. FC: 2766-8685-4348

9. Ace Gamer. FC: 1950-8858-7343

10. General Horace. FC: 5300 8613 2871

11. Anacybele. FC: 1091-7971-9087

12. Quintessence. FC: 3110-4966-9614

13. Dandragon. FC: 3781-0183-6041

14. Euklyd. FC: 4914 - 3176 - 3524

15. Zukonima. FC: 2879 - 0155 - 3196

16. SecondWorld. FC: 3780-9533-5399

Subs

1. Power Master. FC: 4339-2728-1283

2. Gemma. FC: 0662-5105-8535

3. カプリ. FC: 5129-2326-5835

4. PuffPuff. FC: 5300-8740-4544

etc.

Tournament Bracket: http://challonge.com/6lfvc2w2

Important Information Regarding Match Time: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49937#entry3378375

If you have any questions, contact Doofina, the tournament host.

Deadlines

4pm PST Oct 4 / 7pm EST Oct 4 - Round 1 matches MUST be done.

9pm PST Oct 4 / 12am EST Oct 5 - Round 2 matches MUST be done.

5pm PST Oct 5 / 8pm EST Oct 5 - Round 3 matches MUST be done.

9pm PST Oct 5 / 12pm PST Oct 5 - Round 4 matches MUST be done.

Edited by Doofina

I'm starting with single elimination just so I have an idea of how long one bracket takes. If it only takes a few hours to complete, then I'll have a better idea of how long a second one will take and so will other people hosting online tournaments through this thread.

These sound like fun, I'll join! If you want a free win fight me in round 1

My internet has been wonkey recently, but I should have it fixed by then. If not i'll let you know before Oct 1st or w/e.

I'll retrieve my FC in a minute.

FC: 5300 8613 2871

im not a smash expert, but im a little more familiar with tournaments, and single elim is kinda cheesy, but BO3's partially alleviate the problem, and like you said, it's a good timetable for how long they'll take for future tournaments.

Edited by General Horace

I might not be able, but I hope I can join after the release.

FC: 3196-3029-8357

Would you like me to put you on the list anyways? If by October 1 you know for sure that you aren't able to get the game, I can take you off the list and give it to one of the subs.

Nice job with this thread! I'll join the tourney too, though I recommend 3 stock matches instead of two. Or, alternatively, let players redo matches if there's a weird glitch or something that causes them to suicide by accident. Brawl had such incidents on stages like Castle Siege where the stage swap effect would glitch and randomly have a character fall to their doom. And since stages like this are appearing in the new Smash, those glitches might still happen.

My FC is in the Smash Club thread, btw.

Edited by Anacybele

Would you like me to put you on the list anyways? If by October 1 you know for sure that you aren't able to get the game, I can take you off the list and give it to one of the subs.

Yes please! I'm definitely getting the game; that's for sure.

I want to get used to the 3DS controls, since I'm still fixed into the GC controller. It's gotten better, but only with the 5 available in the demo. I'm just not sure if I'll be joining the tournament. But I would like to.

If it's for a whole day, I think I can do it (but I'll only be online when it hits about 2:30 EST, if that's a huge problem, don't add me).

FC: 1950-8832-8557

Name: Lucas

The tournament will be starting at 2:00 EST, so unfortunately you will be missing it.

Don't worry though. You can always host your own tournament in this thread.

/in

3DS FC is 4914 - 3176 - 3524

hopefully my net will be up to it, if it's not I'll leech from my phone which SHOULD be better than needed