Improving the Genealogy Translation Patch

irtikliwT

Hi, does anyone have any ideas if someday we will have a complete patch for this game? At least something closer to a 100% patch?

And what about a complete patch for Thracia 776? I can't believe that only this two games (as far as i know) are still not completly translated after all this years.

I wish i could have some knowledge about rom modification to help on the completition of this project.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, does anyone have any ideas if someday we will have a complete patch for this game? At least something closer to a 100% patch?

And what about a complete patch for Thracia 776? I can't believe that only this two games (as far as i know) are still not completly translated after all this years.

I wish i could have some knowledge about rom modification to help on the completition of this project.

It kind of is already close to 100%? The only thing of importance that's really missing is the ending; the entire main body of the story is complete. Of course, having the ending and other absent content in and polishing the patch would be great, but people have lives.

That's not what I mean, that's not what I am referring to

I am talking the text, how using FE7's font in this game is fine, but there possibly being a better font option (Better looking at least)

That's not what I mean, that's not what I am referring to

I am talking the text, how using FE7's font in this game is fine, but there possibly being a better font option (Better looking at least)

There was a big discussion about that quite a while ago - iirc he was interested in changing the font, citing the current use of the FE7 font as having originally been a bit of a temporary stopgap or something, but it never realy went anywhere. I'm definitely in favour of changing it, and I think I'll take this opportunity to recommend the FE5 patch's dialogue font. Despite how shitty most of the FE5 patch is, I really like its dialogue font and and it'd be great to see that one in this, if anyone has any idea about its origin/relevant permissions.

And also, I think that Arvis' and Azel's father "Victor" might need to change to a different name since there was a Bandit Twin boss from Paralogue 2 is now called Victor in the English version of FE13.

Edited by King Marth 64

And also, I think that Arvis' and Azel's father "Victor" might need to change to a different name since there was a Bandit Twin boss from Paralogue 2 is now called Victor in the English version of FE13.

I doubt it's that big a deal as several implied characters share names with other characters within the series - Etzel's wife Ursula, for instance, is probably not the same Ursula from FE7.

If it's really a potential source for confusion, then I guess Viktor is an accepted alternate spelling, but ehhhhhh.

a) Nobody in their right mind is going to confuse a minor boss from a completely different game with Arvis's (equally minor) father. It's not that uncommon for names to be "shared" between FE games; off the top of my head, FE4 also has a Wolf, Linda and Slayder, and there have been no problems with them sharing names with characters (or in Wolf's case, characters, races and axes) from other FE games.

b) I can't recall if he's actually mentioned by name in the script of this patch or the Japanese version, but if he is, don't we as a fandom commonly spell his name Viktor anyway?

Huh... I thought his name was already spelled like 'Viktor'

*reads rhinocerockets post*

Oh, I see that is was...

There was a big discussion about that quite a while ago - iirc he was interested in changing the font, citing the current use of the FE7 font as having originally been a bit of a temporary stopgap or something, but it never realy went anywhere. I'm definitely in favour of changing it, and I think I'll take this opportunity to recommend the FE5 patch's dialogue font. Despite how shitty most of the FE5 patch is, I really like its dialogue font and and it'd be great to see that one in this, if anyone has any idea about its origin/relevant permissions.

What is the font for FE5 anyway? I always wondered that

Edited by Soledai

Huh... I thought his name was already spelled like 'Viktor'

*reads rhinocerockets post*

Oh, I see that is was...

So it may be. I'm not familiar with the character and was merely offering options under the assumption they were.

What is the font for FE5 anyway? I always wondered that

I'm certainly no expert nor is my knowledge of/access to the older reaches of the FE fandom any good at all, but neither the old FESS thread for the patch, its romhacking.net profile nor its (hilarious excuse for a) readme turned up any results. Alas, I'm not familiar enough with the world of ROM hacking nor the history of the FE fandom to know where else to look for answers straight from the horse's mouth. I also checked RH.net's font database, which yielded no matches (at least as far as I could tell; my sight is rather shitty so I could've missed the obvious). In theory it's not impossible that were it to be adopted here it could just be extracted from the FE5 patched ROM, but I thought it'd be nice to attempt to legitimately track it down first. Oh well.

While we're talking fonts, my search of RH.net wasn't completely fruitless: this fixed-width font looks like it'd be a good replacement for the current gameplay/menu font. One of my biggest hangups with getting started with FE4 in the first place was that honestly, the gameplay font is kinda ugly and not the most comfortable thing to read.

Holy shit, I am impossibly pushy here. I'll shut up now and leave this to people who know what they're doing.

And also, since the Naga tome is now localized as "Book of Naga" in FE13, I think we might need to changing the name of the Loptous tome as "Book of Loptous" as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

And also, since the Naga tome is now localized as "Book of Naga" in FE13, I think we might need to changing the name of the Loptous tome as "Book of Loptous" as well.

and I guess Forseti should be "Book of Forseti" too? /sarcasm

Honestly, that really doesn't need to be done even for Naga - bear in mind that the Japanese name for it in FE4 is just "ナーガ" as opposed to FE13's longer "聖書ナーガ", so it's forgivable that it doesn't have that name (though iirc it's actually referred to briefly as the Book of Naga in dialogue in the patch as it currently stands). Considering that Loptous doesn't have any such prefix in other games for obvious reasons, there's really no point doing it for it. Also, there just isn't enough room in the item name slots to give either of them (ESPECIALLY Loptous) the "Book of" prefix; as it stands there's already enough problems making item names fit semi-coherently in this without making it worse in the most useless of ways.

if we're going to stick to a FE13 pattern here obviously Loptous should be Loptous's Truth

I doubt it's that big a deal as several implied characters share names with other characters within the series - Etzel's wife Ursula, for instance, is probably not the same Ursula from FE7.

If it's really a potential source for confusion, then I guess Viktor is an accepted alternate spelling, but ehhhhhh.

let the fanfics begin

if we're going to stick to a FE13 pattern here obviously Loptous should be Loptous's Truth

nice

but in all seriousness, there's not even a point in changing to "Book of Naga" anyway

By the way, since Arvis' tome is now called "Valflame", isn't that tome was named after Fala the Crusader/Exalt Warrior like Falaflame?

Edited by Dread Fighter Alm

Well, Narga should be changed to Naga. I'm guessing that was Naga's name in the fandom before official localization.

That's actually a really good question. I was under the impression that the fandom mostly used "Narga" before FE11 briefly mentioned Naga's name, likely indeed stemming from how it's spelled that way in FE4's holy blood chart. On the other hand, given how the fandom also leapt upon the names used in Treasure when that was released (see: Celice) and how Treasure said "Naga", maybe that spelling also came into use before FE11? idk I should stop this; I'm terrible at FANDOM PALAEONTOLOGY

By the way, since Arvis' tome is now called "Valflame", isn't that tome was named after Fala the Crusader/Exalt Warrior like Falaflame?

wow you don't say nobody would ever have guessed that Falaflame is named after Fala =OOOOOOOO

inb4 Valflame = Valaura = Valtome = "Fala" should be renamed "Valtome"