Online multiplayer pls.

Fruity Insanity

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be fun if they had special maps just for the multiplayer mode and maybe a map creation system or something. (I'm dreaming big but I can afford to get my hopes up... for now.)

EDIT: Good job, sleep-deprived me. Thank you for the link, Fruity Insanity. c: I mixed up the Multiplayer mode with co-op...

Edited by ???

It would be fun if they had special maps just for the multiplayer mode and maybe a map creation system or something. (I'm dreaming big but I can afford to get my hopes up... for now.)

The only multiplayer modes I've ever played for FE was the one for FE7 and Awakening. Double Duel was pretty lacking and slow too...

http://serenesforest.net/light-and-shadow/miscellaneous/multiplayer/

Once the servers go down, multiplayer modes always become a useless icon in the menu, which I personally don't really like. It makes the game feel uncomplete.

Have local multiplayer only and maybe even a mapcreator like in Advance Wars, that is all I'm hoping for.

Once the servers go down, multiplayer modes always become a useless icon in the menu, which I personally don't really like. It makes the game feel uncomplete.

Have local multiplayer only and maybe even a mapcreator like in Advance Wars, that is all I'm hoping for.

By the time the servers go down, we won't be playing Fire Emblem if, don't worry.

We'll have moved on to a newer, shinier toy.

No seriously. The DS's servers only went down last summer. And I'm sure nobody was using the online for FE11 and FE12, lol.

By the time the servers go down, we won't be playing Fire Emblem if, don't worry.

We'll have moved on to a newer, shinier toy.

No seriously. The DS's servers only went down last summer. And I'm sure nobody was using the online for FE11 and FE12, lol.

That's a terrible way of thinkg about it! Playing a game and throwing it away afterwards, that's just wrong.

I want to go back to older games at some point and still be able to do anything I could, when it first came out.

That's a terrible way of thinkg about it! Playing a game and throwing it away afterwards, that's just wrong.

I want to go back to older games at some point and still be able to do anything I could, when it first came out.

sorry fruity but I totally agree here

by the same token, I am pissed that the recent Pokemon games have given me the ability to play with friends around the world who I never would have gotten the chance to play against otherwise

and don't even get me started on the new Smash Bros. ugh. Sakurai just makes these games worse and worse :dry:

online multiplayer sounds like the literal best

local would be pretty sweet as well but online would be <3

even if it would destroy my ego as I get crushed game after game

idk about you but I'd rather have content that would bring me considerable enjoyment for 90% of the time I play the game and possibly not work when I want it to a loooong way down the road

than like

not have that at all ever

The options are the following:

A) Put online multiplayer in and maintain servers for as long as Nintendo exists.

B) Put online multiplayer in and maintain servers for as long as the game and console remains relevant.

C) Put online multiplayer in and make it peer-to-peer. You don't need servers this way(?).

D) Keep multiplayer as local play only.

E) Don't put multiplayer in.

I'll explain what I think on each of those choices.

a) Doesn't sound plausible. If there are no people (or very few people) using the online functionality at a certain point, it is more reasonable for Nintendo - a business - to discontinue the services related to that game/console. Spending x amount of money for y amount of people is reasonable enough, no? Nintendo has no reason to maintain their servers for online multiplayer if there are no people playing online. Simple as that.

b) The most reasonable option, imo, if they plan on implementing online in the first place. They maintain servers as long as a good number of people play the game/the console is alive and being produced.

c) I don't know how this would work, or if it's possible at all, so I don't have much to say here. If you CAN play online without the need for services, this would be the best option. But I doubt this will happen (or, again, if it's possible in the first place).

d) This would work as a second best option. My only issue with this, though, is that it kinda sucks for those who don't have friends IRL who play Fire Emblem. And even if you do, unless you have a good number of friends who do, it'll probably feel stale sooner than if there were readily available opponents from... everywhere. Online has more options.

e) Okay, this would sate your (rather silly, imo) idea of "being able to do everything the game was made to do since it came out." But that is something you'll be seeing less and less as games become more integrated with the net. Not only that, but that would mean no multiplayer at all. It would still be a Fire Emblem game, and no doubt I would still buy it, but I'm sure we can all agree that multiplayer - however limited - is better than no multiplayer at all.

So yeah.

Don't get me wrong. I love going back to playing old games I have, too.

But I don't look at, say, the GBA Pokemon games and say "They should have made these games so that I could use the player-player interaction options 10+ years from now."

I just play the game without trading with other people.

sorry fruity but I totally agree here

by the same token, I am pissed that the recent Pokemon games have given me the ability to play with friends around the world who I never would have gotten the chance to play against otherwise

and don't even get me started on the new Smash Bros. ugh. Sakurai just makes these games worse and worse :dry:

online multiplayer sounds like the literal best

local would be pretty sweet as well but online would be <3

even if it would destroy my ego as I get crushed game after game

idk about you but I'd rather have content that would bring me considerable enjoyment for 90% of the time I play the game and possibly not work when I want it to a loooong way down the road

than like

not have that at all ever

Can't tell if sarcastic or not.

It would be especially great if you could customize all your units as you see fit. Or make your own army of generic units to use against the enemy, with a few main-game characters as "leaders/commanders," etc.

A map editor, as mentioned before, would be (too) good (to be true ;n;).

IS could do so much with this game. Or any Fire Emblem game, in fact.

Makes me wonder why they don't go ahead and make the perfect Fire Emblem game.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

I couldn't care less if multiplayer isn't working 10+ years from the release date, that shouldn't stop people from being able to enjoy it when it is available.

Edited by DragonLord

I can just see it now:

First thing that everyone does: Use Pair Up on own units.

*Go to attack opponent* - Dual Guard

*Opponent goes to attack* - Dual Guard

Maybe they can have an No Pair Up option.

*wishful thinking*

4 team multiplayer on large map please

How would 4 teams multiplayer even work.

I couldn't care less if multiplayer isn't working 10+ years from the release date, that shouldn't stop people from being able to enjoy it when it is available.

My point exactly.

What if they were also to include a sort of GBA Arena style link battle with up to 4 players, except you could also play against others online? Do you think it would still work in this new style of FE?

Edited by DragonLord

Once the servers go down, multiplayer modes always become a useless icon in the menu.

Phantasy Star Online fans would like to have a word with you.

On the original topic: I see no reason why there would be competitive multiplayer in If. Awakening had co-optional multiplayer, but there's a reason why people never bring it up when discussing the game: It's not a very engaging mode in comparison to competitive multiplayer or simply playing the main game. That said, I enjoyed Shadow Dragon's multiplayer while the servers were on, so I would not mind if it returned in this game.

Phantasy Star Online fans would like to have a word with you.

On the original topic: I see no reason why there would be competitive multiplayer in If. Awakening had co-optional multiplayer, but there's a reason why people never bring it up when discussing the game: It's not a very engaging mode in comparison to competitive multiplayer or simply playing the main game. That said, I enjoyed Shadow Dragon's multiplayer while the servers were on, so I would not mind if it returned in this game.

it's not even as engaging as actual cooperative multiplayer would be

like ffta had a pretty okay co-op multiplayer that was basically both players controlling half a team; it's not even hard to do

that would be tons better than whatever the hell double duel thing fe13 had ;/

I want multiplayer so badly, I would love for it to get the full advance wars treatment. Lots of maps, online and local, team and free for all choices. I think it would be amazing to get a fully fleshed out online on this one. It was totally missing from awakening me and my little brother were super let down when we found out we couldn't battle each other.

I alway theorized the reason the lack of real multiplayer in FE13 might be the fact the game couldn't handle 4 characters in the battle at once (making both sides be paired up impossible) without noticeable lag (in fact IIRC I noticed some lag with 2 or more manakete). Assuming my theory is correct we could still get a FE11/12 style multiplayer if either there is no pair-up allowed or multiplayer is 3DS new only (Or regular 3DS can only do multiplayer with no pair-up and 3DS players can do both

Edited by weso12

Maybe they can have an No Pair Up option.

*wishful thinking*

Neal, would they really just disable the mechanic they conditioned you to use the entire game?

Please no.

FE multiplayer tweaked enough to be satisfactory WILL take away resources from the main game.

Why does everyone want multiplayer on games? It's not that simple from a game developers perspective.

I want multiplayer so badly, I would love for it to get the full advance wars treatment. Lots of maps, online and local, team and free for all choices. I think it would be amazing to get a fully fleshed out online on this one. It was totally missing from awakening me and my little brother were super let down when we found out we couldn't battle each other.

I can just see it now:

First thing that everyone does: Use Pair Up on own units.

*Go to attack opponent* - Dual Guard

*Opponent goes to attack* - Dual Guard

FE, specifically the new FE dual system has an inherent balancing flaw for PVP. Solve this first before being optimistic or simply suggesting throwing out a mechanic to solve everything. Pair up isn't as simple as items in pokemon.

Do you throw out supports and skills that go with that system? If you do, what are the consequences? Rescue staves and first turn advantage? Rallies?

This WILL NOT be fun.

This is why they chose streetpass. And Dual Tag/Double Duel for direct multiplayer. It was a CONSCIOUS design choice.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Realistically speaking 2P vs CPU is possible, but PvP is pretty much out of the question. The sheer amount of re-balancing that would have to occur for PvP to fairly function is astronomical. No one would attack first, and even if someone did, it would be a cycle of attack -> rescue staff-> attack -> rescue staff-> repeat. Not to mention, if ranging tomes were allowed, both sides would use all their mages to slowly snipe one of the opposing side's unit per turn until the battle strategically stalemates due to a lack of units on both sides. etc etc

There's the possibility that these problems and more can be avoided or partially mitigated by introducing first-strike incentives, uniquely restrictive systems, and careful prohibition of certain items, but that's waaay too much effort put into a non-essential part of a predominantly campaign-based game.

Neal, would they really just disable the mechanic they conditioned you to use the entire game?

Please no.

FE multiplayer tweaked enough to be satisfactory WILL take away resources from the main game.

Why does everyone want multiplayer on games? It's not that simple from a game developers perspective.

Tbh, I really don't like Pair Up, period. It's too broken and I felt like it took away more than it added.

But yeah, I suppose it would be a lot of effort... Or at least more than what it's worth.

It's just... wishful thinking...