Is there any real secret to beating HHM?

Spammalanche

Besides being really good at the game, is there any secret to beating it? I pulled Fire Emblem out of the old games closet and decided I'd attempt to beat HHM, and was wondering if there was any secret to beating it. I beat EHM a while ago but forgot to attempt HHM. I'm only on chapter 9 LHM right now.

Also wondering about how levels transfer from LHM to HHM. Do they keep their level gains, or do they only have the set HHM levels if they die in LHM?

Use Marcus to tear the game a new one.

That's about it

You forgot Pent.

Also, use cavaliers.

and fliers a d prepromotes.

And buy lots of barriers and pure waters.

and use Marcus.

The important thing to remember is that not using Marcus makes you look rather noobish. And you aren't a noob, are you?

Marcus, Kent or Sain (Lowen would be helpful early game), Florina, Pent, and Harken would be awesome units to use. And yes, people in LHM get their levels and EXP transferred over to HHM, so I'd recommend doing LHM first. If they died in LHM, they are at their HHM bases.

Grind either Sain or Kent to LV 16-20 in LHM, and promote them with Wallace's Crest. Then use Marcus and Sain/Kent liberally.

Also, make sure to over-level Serra while grinding Sain/Kent, since having an early promoted Serra will also help.

Then use Harken, Pent, Geitz, Raven, Heath when they come. Anyone who gets HHM Bonus stats is good and Pent is good too.

With LHM, HHM really isnt that hard if you just want to beat the game. Get an S rank on HHM is the hard part.

1. Don't be afraid to use Marcus and other pre-promotes.

2. Don't rush maps if you don't have to.

3. Always have at least one healer. It's possible to train and promote both Serra and Priscilla, but if you only want to do one, both are good and you can't really go wrong with either, though Priscilla is usually better in the end.

4. Don't be afraid to use good weapons.

You'll want to use Oswin. He's an expert at not dying (which should be your number one priority in your first HHM run). Use everyone at first, and drop the units who aren't faring well. Most of the prepromotes make good filler, at least.

Does this hold true for 5-star Tactics as well, if I'm trying to S-rank it?

You don't need to go at full speed (indeed, you shouldn't, as your exp and funds rank will be shot to hell), but don't dawdle. Every turn you burn means one turn less you can spend Arena Abusing.

You don't need to go at full speed (indeed, you shouldn't, as your exp and funds rank will be shot to hell), but don't dawdle. Every turn you burn means one turn less you can spend Arena Abusing.

You still need to go fairly quick, because even though most chapters are fairly lenient, the Hector only chapters require 0 turns which means that Ch. 11 and 15 are about 15-16 turns down the drain by default, plus Ch. 25 is more wasted, as is Ch. 30. Plus defend chapters add an extra turn due to the way they're coded so you're losing more off of chapters like 13x, 28, and 31.

How the heck do you go quickly and get the experience ranking is what I want to know :/ Am I suppose to be using unpromoted units up until chapter 25 or something?Maybe I'm not spamming physics/dance enough on my mage.

Edited by Dark Pegasi

Basically, use everyone, and give to get as many kills as you can to lower-levelled units. Arena abuse with promoted units in the latter half of the game helps as well.

Arena-abuse if I wasn't trying to low turn-count. But that's always my bane. Either I go slow enough for the experience ranking of 5 star and lose the 5 start tactic. Or its the other way around.

How the heck do you go quickly and get the experience ranking is what I want to know :/ Am I suppose to be using unpromoted units up until chapter 25 or something?Maybe I'm not spamming physics/dance enough on my mage.

In EHM, I had to use unpromoted units up until about chapter 27. It wouldn't surprise me if you had to do the same in HHM.

Speaking of arena abuse, chapter 24 (Linus) is a great chapter to do that, even if you are going for 5-star Tactics. You are allowed 22 turns, and getting to the arena only takes about ten turns, if that.

It's also a good way to raise money to recruit Farina, if that's your inclination.

Speaking of arena abuse, chapter 24 (Linus) is a great chapter to do that, even if you are going for 5-star Tactics. You are allowed 22 turns, and getting to the arena only takes about ten turns, if that.

It's also a good way to raise money to recruit Farina, if that's your inclination.

Ch.24 Linus is pretty essential to S-Ranking EHM/HHM, certainly. Not only should you be keeping track of your turn totals up until that point, it's also a good idea to provide a rough estimate for how many turns you can shave off later in the game, because Ch.24 is arguably the best place to grind for experience and cash (although Value of Life is another good venue if you've got excess turns to spare).

Playing ranked is tough no matter how you slice it.

So, I've just finished chapter 20. I hit a snag on my first go around when all of my guys were too slow to get to Legault and the member's card thief in time (even if Oswin had 16 speed at level 20/1). I was also supporting Oswin with Dorcas (because Dorcas had 15 str, 12 skill, 12 speed, and 42 HP at level 13). But yeah, things weren't going my way. So I changed it up and decided if I was going to do this, I'd use all the mounted units (because Lowen and Marcus make Eliwood not suck).

Currently, I'm using my three lords and all my mounted units. Lowen is doing better than both Kent and Sain (he's level 14 with 14 str, 13 skill, 14 speed, 12 defence, and 8 resistance). Hector's got below average defence, skill, and speed, but Eliwood is making up for it with way above average stats across the board.

I could not get 19xx. Kishuna kept fleeing before I could line him up for the kill.

If you had that horseslayer from chapter 16 that likely could have helped a ton on that chapter to get through all the cavaliers/nomads faster. I bet Oswin could have OHKO'd.