Default Class Playthrough

First post! I've been lurking for a couple of years now, but I finally bought Awakening, and it's rekindled my interest in the series, so I figured I might as well finally join up here.

I was never a big fan of the Class Changing system when it was introduced in FE11, and I never liked to use it. Sure it made the characters more powerful and versatile, but it just felt wrong to me. I was wanting to know if that was still viable for this game. I would assume that it wouldn't be too difficult for the main story, but I was wondering about the DLC packs. Aside from the hardest one (I forget what it's called;it has 5 rounds of enemies), do the others require any in-depth character customization, or can I have my children characters remain in their default class trees and just keep resetting those classes to give them the stats they need to survive? I realize that it's not optimal, but I really don't care about that, as long as it's doable.

If so, what would be the optimal pair-ups for this kind of playthrough? Keeping in mind that I don't care about inheriting a variety of classes, what would be the best skills that the parents can pass down to their kids, and which of the branching classes should I send the parents into? What I'm really wanting to know is what pair produce the offspring with the greatest benefits to the growths and starting stats of their default classes.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by JechtShotMK9

Don't worry about optimal pairings all that much. For the main story, as long as you use Second Seals when units get to level 20, you can keep boosting your stats, but for the Rogues and redeemers maps, the Challenge Pack, and Apotheosis, you WANT to get the best skill sets possible (you don't need Galeforce on everyone, but you'll have a hard time without it). If you want to use the...never mind, I don't know if you got that far, so I won't say. If anyone can get Galeforce (Dark Flier), get it as soon as you start the harder DLC maps. Though that's just my suggestion.

Don't worry about optimal pairings all that much. For the main story, as long as you use Second Seals when units get to level 20, you can keep boosting your stats, but for the Rogues and redeemers maps, the Challenge Pack, and Apotheosis, you WANT to get the best skill sets possible (you don't need Galeforce on everyone, but you'll have a hard time without it). If you want to use the...never mind, I don't know if you got that far, so I won't say. If anyone can get Galeforce (Dark Flier), get it as soon as you start the harder DLC maps. Though that's just my suggestion.

I've beaten the main story on easy, just to get the story, so feel free to spoil whatever.

That's disappointing about Rogues and Redeemers though. Oh well. I suppose I can make the effort for Galeforce. Are there any other skills that are more or less necessary for the postgame that have to be gotten through inheritance?

If you intend to use any of the children, it's a good idea to pass on Galeforce if they can get it. Other than that, Apotheosis makes Counter and Lethality useless, so Counter isn't a good thing to pass down. For Rogues and Redeemers, just use the proper skills that can keep your units alive: Sol, Lifetaker, breaker skills, stuff like that. Also, if you do Paralogue 23, all you need for tanking (which I recommend) are Manaketes and Nosferatu Sorcerors. That's about all I can think of for now. Just remember that Apotheosis is possible without going for the best skills, but you'll have to be ready to Rescue a unit if something bad happens (Limit Breaker is needed for the Secret Path if you don't want to suffer, I've seen it done on the normal path, but it is difficult either way without Limit Breaker, whether you get rally bots or not, but make sure the rally bots are magic units to have spare healers on your side)..

Are you talking about a maingame run where you never leave canon classes, a postgame run where you never leave canon classes, or a postgame run where you grind for all the skills you want, but only play the harder maps in canon classes? They're all very different things.

As for the first, it's pretty easy/fun on Normal/Hard, fairly challenging on Lunatic and a really bad idea on Lunatic+. The second will probably work for all maps but Apo (unless you're really good and reclass back into your current class to reset your level), and the third is very fun if you know what you're doing.

Apotheosis like this shouldn't be that difficult. You have I believe up to 7 units who can run Galeforce (Sumia, Lucina, Cynthia, Cordelia, Severa, Emmeryn, Morgan), and while their skill sets might not be optimised, you'll mostly be able to get good enough skills, especially assuming you give them Limit Breaker.

Probably the worst part about it would be the lack of good rallybots. I think there's a few legacy characters who join with rallies, notably rally spectrum, but no rally heart and likely you'll only have 2-3 rallies on others.

I've done this in game twice - once was a Hard no SS/no pair up with a few other restrictions, one is an ongoing Lunatic no SS run with a few other restrictions. The latter is very tough, the former was quite easy.

Edited by Tables

Aversa has natural Galeforce, not Emmeryn. There are a couple of really good premade DLC/spotpass rallybots, notably Katarina (though Saias + Palla work well if she's not available). DLC Eirika comes with Rally Heart if you want that. Horace has both defensive rallies.

Apo under these restrictions wouldn't be that hard to someone who's played it twenty times and is accustomed to making damage calcs and meeting thresholds, but to someone who's only beaten Normal and none of the DLC maps it would probably be impossible. Remember that outside of SF Apo has a bit of a reputation for being brutal even with no holds barred.

Apo under these restrictions wouldn't be that hard to someone who's played it twenty times and is accustomed to making damage calcs and meeting thresholds, but to someone who's only beaten Normal and none of the DLC maps it would probably be impossible. Remember that outside of SF Apo has a bit of a reputation for being brutal even with no holds barred.

I feel like this needs repeating. It's something a lot of people miss when they say "lolol Apo so ez".

To the average player with no prior knowledge of the map, Apotheosis is a very difficult map. To the person who has cleared it 20 times due to know the ins and outs of the map like the back of their hand, of course it is easy.

I feel like this needs repeating. It's something a lot of people miss when they say "lolol Apo so ez".

To the average player with no prior knowledge of the map, Apotheosis is a very difficult map. To the person who has cleared it 20 times due to know the ins and outs of the map like the back of their hand, of course it is easy.

I really have to disagree. I didn't know much about Apotheosis when I first went to challenge it, just that it was meant to be hard and had crazy strong enemies. So I went in as best prepared as I could with little knowledge, but not using any child characters. I beat it first try with no problems. I beat secret route first try with no problems. I beat secret route with generic weapons only (so only things buyable in shops e.g. no forges, no Celica's Gale, no fortify and so on), again no problems. It really isn't that tough. Maybe if I hadn't thought ahead to wanting lots of staff users and rally users it might have been tough, but I'd already played the main game, I knew rallies were really good and I knew I wanted healers, so it's hardly like a half decent player will miss those.

Compared to Normal/CLA, yeah, it's harder. I generally think it's about the difficulty of Hard/CLA. My first Hard/CLA run was definitely tougher than my first Apotheosis.

I really have to disagree. I didn't know much about Apotheosis when I first went to challenge it, just that it was meant to be hard and had crazy strong enemies. So I went in as best prepared as I could with little knowledge, but not using any child characters. I beat it first try with no problems. I beat secret route first try with no problems. I beat secret route with generic weapons only (so only things buyable in shops e.g. no forges, no Celica's Gale, no fortify and so on), again no problems. It really isn't that tough. Maybe if I hadn't thought ahead to wanting lots of staff users and rally users it might have been tough, but I'd already played the main game, I knew rallies were really good and I knew I wanted healers, so it's hardly like a half decent player will miss those.

Compared to Normal/CLA, yeah, it's harder. I generally think it's about the difficulty of Hard/CLA. My first Hard/CLA run was definitely tougher than my first Apotheosis.

I Gen 1, canon classes only, ran with it without knowing anything and ONLY took on the secret path.

...keep in mind, compared to other people, taking it on without prior knowledge isn't that much of a big deal for us.

Because we play FE a hell of a lot more than most people.

I Gen 1, canon classes only, ran with it without knowing anything and ONLY took on the secret path.

...keep in mind, compared to other people, taking it on without prior knowledge isn't that much of a big deal for us.

Not to mention almost every wave gives you ample time to set everyone up before charging in. It's only NP (normal path) wave 4 that has the enemies move the instant the enemy phase starts and SP (secret path) waves 4 and 5 put you on a time limit. I can only imagine if the reinforcements counted as ambush spawns. THAT would make it an utter hell if you didn't get a unit out of incoming enemy range in time. Yes, I know this is well-known to a lot of people, but I thought it might be worth mentioning? :/

Awakening is what percentage of the fandom's first FE again?

Time limits: Wave 1 also has one if you're going for Secret. I personally find it to be the harshest one, namely during lowmanning.