FE: Awakening ROM decrypted and extracted

VincentASM

Anyway, the NMM is bare bones but it'll allow someone to search for patterns if they want. Right now we can't actually test anything so not only is it hard to find anything but there isn't much fun in it since we can't like, unlock exclusive weapons or make non-forgeable weapons forgeable or something (I have a feeling the bytes that control those things would be in the item data). XP

Items in Fe12 do have flags that control character/class locks and whether or not they can be forged (and a flag that controls whether the item shows up as already forged, amusingly enough), so it's a decent bet that FE13's items work the same way.

Edited by Vennobennu

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually I just went ahead and made a Nightmare module since it almost feels like tradition around here (or maybe I'm the only one who feels that way since it's been almost 10 years since the first NMM's popped up and I started playing with them, lol)

It's so weird to still see Nightmare survive here. I introduced it to FESS a decade ago (along with unlz-gba, which then VincentASM started a FE8 FESSer project brielfly), and the community started using it a year or so afterwards. But the original release never really got much attention, and the tool never got popular with anyone else.

@Venno yup, you can probably guess if you determine which items are which and then compare special weapons to others and such (which the NMM helps with; easier than looking at things through a hex editor, IMO) but as I said, that sounds like too much work for something that we can't reap the benefits of (giving some random character a forged Falcon or something, lol)

@Celice yup, things just work out in funny ways sometimes haha, I have an odd, almost nostalgic attachment to NMM's myself, they're really nothing special to use or make but as a kid they were certainly fun little toys to play with and simple enough that I could understand them XD

no idea on the dance skill, I wonder if the name is hidden in the data somewhere...

Edited by Trails in the Blaze

Wait, we know about Special Dance, but what the hell is that thing?

tumblr_ndm5ryAHed1rmzb08o2_r1_75sq.png

Were they gonna have dance as a regular skill?

It's possible. Dance/Canto is a skill for 4/5/9 so maybe they had originally wanted you to always be able to have Olivia dance

It looks like the sprite sheets include multipurpose sprites one time per thing that uses them, which perplexes me a little, although I may just not know enough about programming to know why they did it that way.

It is interesting to note, though, that there appears to be a weapon rank for... regular items? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the swirly one next to it is Grima's breath, but what's the little bag used for? I don't recall seeing it anywhere, so I'm thinking it's unused.

Edited by Starlight36

It looks like the graphic directories include multipurpose sprites one time per thing that uses them, which perplexes me a little, although I may just not know enough about programming to know why they did it that way.

It is interesting to note, though, that there appears to be a weapon rank for... regular items? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the swirly one next to it is Grima's breath, but what's the little bag used for? I don't recall seeing it anywhere, so I'm thinking it's unused.

rHF2uQG.png

Did you forget the storage where it shows all the items by type?

Edited by shadowofchaos

Blazer guessed right; they're still in the process of ripping all the portraits.

I gave them a little tip and with luck we'll be able to salvage all the files ctrtool missed.

Dunno about confession images just yet.

EDIT

Have some fun icons.

icon_E_5BC00%28skill%29.png

icon_E_13C00%28item%29.png

More here

Oh wow, I've always wanted a complete set of perfect quality icons for this game (I've been intending to make an experimental Apo simulator for some time now and having original graphics would save me a ton of time making it). When do you think we'll see map sprites?

I'll leave the map sprites to them too. I think map sprites are easier to rip than portraits, but I can't do everything XD

Speaking of UI rips, I've got a lot more of them here. Not all of them yet.

Some fun ones:

gmap_E.ctpk.lz_10180(icon_spot).png

system_E.ctpk.lz_46300(system_window).pn

Also, the extra dance icon is indeed for a generic "Dance" skill. I'm not 100% but its description might be "Use "Dance" to allow an adjacent ally to act again." That or this is the first row of the "Special Dance" description (I'm lazy to check).

Edited by VincentASM

it probably says a lot about my priorities that this one actually stood out to me, specifically the "x2" and "x4" markers. neither of these versions look familiar as far as fe13's finished interface goes, though they certainly resemble ones from earlier games. it's a minor thing, but nonetheless there it is

oh and this one. the bottom set of arrows don't look familiar either

Edited by bookofholsety

it probably says a lot about my priorities that this one actually stood out to me, specifically the "x2" and "x4" markers. neither of these versions look familiar as far as fe13's finished interface goes, though they certainly resemble ones from earlier games. it's a minor thing, but nonetheless there it is

Hey, that's cool. I'm not very observant when it comes to the UI.

Some minor findings before I leave for a bit.

1. Walhart was called "Waltrud" at some point (can't find the Japanese equivalent at the moment; I've looked through too many files).

2. Stahl, Lon'qu and Olivia have map sprites as Heroes, despite not having access to Fighter or Mercenary. Maybe Hero was a class option for Myrmidon? Say'ri too.

3. There's a faction (I think) called "フェリア反乱軍" (Feroxi Rebels). Does this appear anywhere? Was Feroxi going to have a civil war at some point? Makes sense with the two Khans.

EDIT

I know you all are just getting to the meat of things, but, has anyone found the growth rates of the characters?

Growth rates are ciphered like in FE12. There was some discussion about them in the first page or so.

As it stands, most of the existing growths are accurate, but because of the cipher, extreme growths (anything other 70) or non-standard growths (not multiples of 5) are impossible to figure out.

EDIT2:

Here is the link to the character growths.

Class growths are on hold as I need to generate data.

Edited by VincentASM

2. Stahl, Lon'qu and Olivia have map sprites as Heroes, despite not having access to Fighter or Mercenary. Maybe Hero was a class option for Myrmidon? Say'ri too.

fe4 and 5 had the hero (or at least knockoffs with different names) as a myrmidon promotion option, so it makes sense that they would've at least considered restoring that at some point during development. what makes less sense is that it survived long enough for the personalised map sprites to exist; i'd have thought that was the sort of thing they would've held back on putting effort into until the class family structure was finalised

it's a silly little musing, but suddenly i wonder if these sprites would be functional if one were to hack these characters into being heroes

Edited by bookofholsety

Blazer guessed right; they're still in the process of ripping all the portraits.

I gave them a little tip and with luck we'll be able to salvage all the files ctrtool missed.

Dunno about confession images just yet.

EDIT

Have some fun icons.

icon_E_5BC00%28skill%29.png

Looks like there's a second, unused, dance skill. Pity.

EDIT: I am not the first person to notice this. Of course I'm not.

Edited by Alastor15243

The first 3 arrows are from the Hubba Tester, which is only really used for lolz on a bad day

fe4 and 5 had the hero (or at least knockoffs with different names) as a myrmidon promotion option, so it makes sense that they would've at least considered restoring that at some point during development. what makes less sense is that it survived long enough for the personalised map sprites to exist; i'd have thought that was the sort of thing they would've held back on putting effort into until the class family structure was finalised

it's a silly little musing, but suddenly i wonder if these sprites would be functional if one were to hack these characters into being heroes

they likely wouldn't have models so that would cause an issue

Hey, that's cool. I'm not very observant when it comes to the UI.

Some minor findings before I leave for a bit.

1. Walhart was called "Waltrud" at some point (can't find the Japanese equivalent at the moment; I've looked through too many files).

3. There's a faction (I think) called "フェリア反乱軍" (Feroxi Rebels). Does this appear anywhere? Was Feroxi going to have a civil war at some point? Makes sense with the two Khans.

EDIT

Growth rates are ciphered like in FE12. There was some discussion about them in the first page or so.

As it stands, most of the existing growths are accurate, but because of the cipher, extreme growths (anything other 70) or non-standard growths (not multiples of 5) are impossible to figure out.

EDIT2:

Here is the link to the character growths.

Class growths are on hold as I need to generate data.

what exactly does ciphered mean?

No harm in having fun with it.

I think it'll be a lot more fun once we actually are able to test any of these.

There's no current publicly released way to run modified decrypted ROMs yet... at least a user friendly one.

I recall there have been people on GBATemp who've modified ROMs and took pictures of it running.

Too bad so far it's 4.5 firmware flashcarts only.

It would be considered the 14th game if we cont TS as canon

what exactly does ciphered mean?

The developers masked the real growth rates so they look like garbled numbers instead of the usual 1E = growth rate of 30%.

These "garbled numbers" are read by an algorithm in the game which converts them to the actual growth rates. But we don't know what that algorithm is.

Basically the developers know we hack the games, so they tried to prevent us from reading the most important data.

In FE12, you could use the emulator debug tools to read the algorithm, but dunno if anybody is that proficient in 3DS hacking to do it for this game.

What I do is use a work-around to convert the garbled numbers into less garbled numbers and then map them to real growths. But this involves knowing the mapping (we can map most of the numbers thanks to the guidebooks).

It would be considered the 14th game if we cont TS as canon

No, BS Fire Emblem is the extra 5th game according to Nintendo (ever since FE12 came out). Edited by VincentASM

The developers masked the real growth rates so they look like garbled numbers instead of the usual 1E = growth rate of 30%.

These "garbled numbers" are read by an algorithm in the game which converts them to the actual growth rates. But we don't know what that algorithm is.

Basically the developers know we hack the games, so they tried to prevent us from reading the most important data.

In FE12, you could use the emulator debug tools to read the algorithm, but dunno if anybody is that proficient in 3DS hacking to do it for this game.

What I do is use a work-around to convert the garbled numbers into less garbled numbers and then map them to real growths. But this involves knowing the mapping (we can map most of the numbers thanks to the guidebooks).

No, BS Fire Emblem is the extra 5th game according to Nintendo (ever since FE12 came out).

Oh *Hits head repeatedly with Bolting tome* That was so fail...