Will the FE3 Nightmare editor ever be finished?

Delphi Sage

It's pretty much never going to be updated unless someone decides to step up and redo them on a whim. I would like to see improved modules as well, but I can't imagine it's high on anybody's priorities with the existence of Shadow Dragon & New Mystery of the Emblem.

It's pretty much never going to be updated unless someone decides to step up and redo them on a whim. I would like to see improved modules as well, but I can't imagine it's high on anybody's priorities with the existence of Shadow Dragon & New Mystery of the Emblem.

Even then, no one is doing anything but keeping to themselves. No one on Serenes is making any content except for the 4 or so people going unaided with scanning and translating the mangas. Even then, they're underequipped and don't possess any of the info that their predecessors had.

Where did everyone go when FESS shut down? Why did FESS shut down? Why did no one think to pass any of this over to Serenes?

Even then, no one is doing anything but keeping to themselves. No one on Serenes is making any content except for the 4 or so people going unaided with scanning and translating the mangas. Even then, they're underequipped and don't possess any of the info that their predecessors had.

Where did everyone go when FESS shut down? Why did FESS shut down? Why did no one think to pass any of this over to Serenes?

The prime counterpoint to that is the fe6 retranslation. A wide variety of people were involved with the various stages of that one. Other large progects in the pipeline include resire, the fe4 retranslation to accompany it, fexna, and the recently finished random map tool. Additionaly, lots of the high level hacking scene has moved to FEU, and i believe that lots of FESS data can be found there.

Honestly, the only people from FESS that still stick around here and mess with games is probably VincentASM and myself, and I stopped caring about messing with Fire Emblem games a decade ago. Iggy Koopa vanished off, Ice Dragon did their own thing. I guess SpyroDi was around for a bit?

face it, FE3 is just not as tasty anymore especially due to the remakes, and it has charm, but not enough charm to hold the interest for a lot of people

if you're desperate enough to make an awesome hack though (FE3), you will need to make your own resources (modules, et al.)

Edited by Lamia

Firelizard's translations were... well they were translations. Not good, but they were okay enough. Thanks god we have people like Gringe who are actually competent that made the games better.

Firelizard made the script translations off-hand for fans that wanted an English option. My understanding is that Twilkitri and co., as well as Shaya, opted to use these rather than translating from scratch. Firelizard made point to explain that he did not put much effort into the scripts, but only wanted them available for players who didn't know Japanese, and did not anticipate they'd ever be used as an in-game translation.

It's important to take things in context.

EDIT: actually, now that I think on it, last Gringe explained he wasn't even translating from scratch either. He looked at Firelizard's translation in the game, and places where it felt off, he was rewriting it, or if it was truly off, he would check the original Japanese to correct it. So he's rewriting someone else's translation as well as fixing technical errors with the patch. Unless he's changed his method over the past year.

Edited by Celice

• 2 weeks later...

Firelizard made the script translations off-hand for fans that wanted an English option. My understanding is that Twilkitri and co., as well as Shaya, opted to use these rather than translating from scratch. Firelizard made point to explain that he did not put much effort into the scripts, but only wanted them available for players who didn't know Japanese, and did not anticipate they'd ever be used as an in-game translation.

It's important to take things in context.

EDIT: actually, now that I think on it, last Gringe explained he wasn't even translating from scratch either. He looked at Firelizard's translation in the game, and places where it felt off, he was rewriting it, or if it was truly off, he would check the original Japanese to correct it. So he's rewriting someone else's translation as well as fixing technical errors with the patch. Unless he's changed his method over the past year.

Nah, that's about right. I retranslated a lot of the supports from scratch, though. In the case of the new FE6 patch, my overall role is probably more "highly invasive editor" than full-blown translator, but editing is an important part of accessibility.

If I knew it would take off like it did I might have gone with a more thorough retranslation like bookofholsety's FE4 and 5 scripts, but my playthroughs of the game in Japanese indicate that nothing is really "off" as it is. I would enjoy a chance to do a full game translation from the beginning, though.

Edited by gringe

Sorry, we can't share what we don't know : /

I still like messing around with ROM hacking. Recently I took a look at Awakening, but I ran into a wall when I couldn't recompile the edited files.

But FE3? Nah, that's far too old and uninteresting to hack now. Heck, you're lucky to find anyone that doesn't hack the GBA games. Something that hasn't really changed for several years.

Edited by VincentASM

• 4 months later...

FE4 and 5 have a lot more interesting tools and mechanics and things than FE3. Unfortunately the only one who is actively doing more than just messing around with them is Lamia. Most information on SNES games is from the Japanese fans.

One idea I've been considering is doing a version of FE3 where Weapon weight is removed(alternatively all weapons are weight 1), and axes are added to book 2.

Are there any editors for the DS games? I know Horace was going to work on a reverse recruitment hack where you started out as Gotoh, but it got lost.