[Tutorial] Backing Up Smash 3DS Replays

shadowofchaos

tumblr_ncut0f8EMS1rmzb08o2_400.pngtumblr_ncut0f8EMS1rmzb08o1_400.png

tumblr_ncut0f8EMS1rmzb08o3_500.jpg

tumblr_ncut0f8EMS1rmzb08o4_400.png

Super Smash Bros. 3DS Replay Backup Tutorial.

No matter how big your SD card, you WILL run into problems saving replays with the limit of 64 slots (in my experience)

tumblr_inline_ncusfcWE4e1rb9mmp.png

If you want to save more than the limit without losing your stuff, you can back up your Smash extra data. (so you dont have to back up the ENTIRE SD card)

Heres how:

From my Japanese version, its:

SDCard:\Nintendo 3DS\*random letters and numbers folder*\*random letters and numbers folder 2*\extdata\00000000\00000b8b

(That last folder MIGHT be different in the US version. Just look at the most recent one on date modified in the extdata folder)

tumblr_inline_ncusg2JnXi1rb9mmp.png

I dont know what it is in the English version, but if you can tell by the date modified, then you back up that folder.

Deleting every replay just to prove this:

tumblr_inline_ncusxc1yB91rb9mmp.png

You can look at the timestamp on the bottom screen to see.

All replays deleted at 22:33.After restoring

tumblr_inline_ncusxp4myV1rb9mmp.png

Replays restored at 22:36.

Happy smashing!

Edited by shadowofchaos

This is fantastic

how exactly do I back up files? Is this different from just copying them?

Cant I copy them, or is that bad?

Do I back up the file to PC or leave it on the SD card

and to see the replays again just put the back up in the empty folder?

10-6-14 928pm

Edited by Kali-Yugo

So this doesnt ruin them, cause in the instructions it talks about transfering, and how data like, wont work if moved

Also if they are moved, you can put them in folder, then they will be int eh game again?

Im asking many questions because I have replays and I really dotn want to lose them

10-7-14 1234am

Also does it matter if I delete my game? I wanna keep the replays but delete save game data

101am

Edited by Kali-Yugo

Extra data is saved on the SD card, so save data doesn't matter.

So this doesnt ruin them, cause in the instructions it talks about transfering, and how data like, wont work if moved

Also if they are moved, you can put them in folder, then they will be int eh game again?

Yes, AS LONG as ALL the files are intact.

If you get even ONE file wrong, the checksum will fail and all your extra data WILL be deleted.

Shouldn't be a problem if you backed it up properly.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Okay just to make sure im doing this right,

jsut move the files to pc, then delete them from the folder in the SD card, and the space will be clear to save new relays?

and if I want to watch the old ones again

I assume get rid any replays currently in folder with the SD card,

then put in old replays (saved on the PC) I want to watch in that folder in the SD card, then the replays will be in game ... ?

Does it matter what replays I choose when I want to watch them on the 3ds? Can I mix any type, or do they have to be the ones that were saved around the same time together?

10-7-14 128am

Has anyone found the english file locations or their folder name(s)? Just wanna be 100% sure of what I'm moving around as to not fuck up my 3DS. Also to be clear, I can move the replays from 1 SD card to another and watch it there yea?

Following shadowofchaos's instructions, the file name for US is 00000edf

At least thats what it is for me
I just need to know exactly what is going on from here
Does it containt pictures too? cause it has something dated in there that is form 10-7-14, I didnt make a replay today
and restoring replay is it as simple as just putting a replay back in the folder?
10-7-14 232pm
Edited by Kali-Yugo

restoring replay is it as simple as just putting a replay back in the folder?

10-7-14 232pm

No, you restore a backup with all the replays in said back up by copying the ENTIRE folder.

Has anyone found the english file locations or their folder name(s)? Just wanna be 100% sure of what I'm moving around as to not fuck up my 3DS. Also to be clear, I can move the replays from 1 SD card to another and watch it there yea?

Essentially, yes.

Pictures are in the DCIM folder on the root of the SD card.

It didnt work

I deleted a replay

I put in the files from my PC

so it coudl replace what I thought would be the one file missing since I deleted it

but nothing was missing from the folder you say the replays are in, on the SD card

and now the replay is gone - no big deal, just saying it didnt work

Or Im doing it wrong, the instructions you gave werent very clear

334pm

Backing up replays:

1. Back up the folder in the extdata folder that you have determined to be Smash by copying it to your PC.

2. Do whatever you want after that. Delete replays. Save new ones (since you hit the limit).

3. Back up that one to your PC if you want to keep those in a different folder.

4. Repeat the process, etc.

For restoring replays:

1. Delete the Smash folder in the extdata folder.

2. Copy the Smash folder from your PC into the extdata folder.

3. Enjoy watching your old replays.

It works, thank you shadow

the file is indeed 00000edf

At least for me it is

its at the top of the folders, as your picture showed, and has the most recent date as you said

If you delete partial content the in the SD card, then start the game, it will say extra data corrupt, and gives you a choice to rebuild

or not to rebuild, if you select no you cant play the game

I deleted all content int the folder -- no point in deleting some seeing what it does, and that you have a copy on your PC, but I did it to test things out

With the deleted content, I started the game, it then said no extra data, creating data

I then went to my replays and they were gone

I then put the SD card back in the PC

went back to the folder in SD card,

it had some files in the folder where I deleted all, the 00000edf folder

I deleted those files then put in the ones that were on my PC

started smash

Boom! Replays were back

Thank you Shadow

TDShinobi

It works

Wonderful

you made my day shadow, I was just trying to get exact info out of you earlier cause the first instructions weren't clean.

You're new instructions will help many, and I hope my direction helps others too, and that my success shows it works -- In case people question this

10-7-14 514pm

Something I found recently is that replays don't seem to have an exact time limit like in Brawl. I found that I could record replays for much longer than 3 minutes. I haven't tested if it's possible to save replays past 99 minutes, but I was wondering if you think this is the reason you can only save so many replays at a time.

Okay so what exactly do you have to do specifically? I have replays on my regular 3DS that I want to move to a 3DS XL. I've tried copying every file in the 00000edf folder over to the 3DS XL's folder and I keep getting the whole extra data corrupt or whatever the message is. Or is it just physically impossible to move replays from one SD card to another? The restore thing is fine, I can just replace with the files I have backed up on my computer.

The data on each 3DS is essentially locked to the system itself, so you unfortunately can't transfer the replay data from one to the other.

If you did a system transfer then you could, but it would erase everything from the system you transferred it to ~o3o~

Edited by Kon

• 3 weeks later...

So replays are stuck to each Ds, that is good to know

Cause I was planning on getting the new 3ds eventually

serious question since we all like keeping our replays, does anyone know if the replays still work after the new update

cause the game tells you the replays may not work after a updates, which really really sucks

11-1-14 740am

I would say look up nnindeto 3ds or 2ds data transfer,

I think its as simple as move the files to your pc, then to another SD card, then the files on your old SD card cant be used anymore.

And you have your stuff on the new card and its ready to use, I think its that easy, it says it in the instruction,, but look it up anyway in case you havent already.

11-1-14 645pm

Edited by Kali-Yugo