What asset/flaw do you favor? Why?

See title.

I've been favoring a speed asset and HP flaw. In my opinion, speed is the most important stat in the game. It's crucial for damage, improves avoid chance, and helps prevent being doubled. My first MU was a magic asset, strength flaw, but his speed was on the low end until I fed him a few speedwings, and the decreased strength wasn't great for Ignis. HP is sort of a matter of personal preference - I find it less helpful than Def, Res, or avoid %, for the most part. It's been working out so far.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+MAG: I hack. I make magic. I tend to also do some simple video editing that people describe as black magic.

-LUCK: I have horrible luck in real life.

Gameplay-wise? I don't have a reason to do so. My reason for favoring that set is completely "I see the MU/Avatar as a self-insert".

...and it's pretty damn funny to see myself get crit and killed on Lunatic/Lunatic+ because the Luck Flaw in the game goes with my Luck flaw in real life.

I like +Strength -Defense, even on Lunatic. This combination lowers the damage to the Avatar's (and his Children's) modifiers as I prefer a physical Avatar. (Although his final class is Dread Fighter) Makes for a hilariously powerful Severa and Morgan.

My Avatar's modifiers: +4 strength, +2 skill, -1 defense, -1 resistance, -1 and luck.

I think its pretty unanimous that Luck is the best flaw to give. The reason being is that it does not affect too many things in the game. Its a factor in evasion, but speed is x3 multiplier compared to Luck with is added at stat value. Same for hit rate (but with skill x3). The only other thing it affects are a couple skills that are not super important and critical avoid. Critical avoid is pretty pointless compared to evasion since if you are never able to get hit, then critical rates from the enemy do not matter. Especially if you have a high enough defense/resistance in the first place.

Otherwise, I tend to favor the HP for the asset. If you raise your defense by one point, then you survive only an extra point in physical damage. No benefit to resistance at all and vice versa. However, a single point increase in HP means you survived another point of damage which is like having an extra point in defence or resistance. The benefit is ta HP increase acts like both a def. and res. gain in one.

+speed, -luck

granted for a while i was kinda annoyed about how it slightly hinders armsthrift's activation rate even if it doesn't actually hinder it all that much (i kinda swear by armsthrift because i suck) but limit breaker patches that up so

i figure that if i were to pursue a pure-physical or pure-magical build (which is all i ever do in practice wow i didn't think this through) i'd go with the irrelevant stat as the flaw; the -1 to both offensive stats awarded by -luck is relatively negligible but still

I started with a skill asset, HP flaw... I wasn't too fond of it.

My favorite right now is +Speed, -Magic/Strength. I generally allow the avatar to focus on either magic or weapons, and so I make his weakness the one that he doesn't use.

First time around it was +Skill and -Defense (I'm a perfectionist who doesn't consider something finished until I've done all I can and I feel pain intensely for some reason).

Second time it was +Magic and -Skill (I consider magic = intelligence and I consider myself to be considerably intelligent and I have a tendency to bump into things due to my clumsiness).

+Str -Res

I wanted full strength, so any flaw that affects strength is out, leaving Mag, Spd, Def, and Res. Def is my second favourite stat, so that's a no-go either. -Speed is too big of a hit to such an important stat, and -3 on speed puts me at worst speed mod in gen1 status. Between Mag and Res, well, MU kinda don't start with handaxes, sadly. Gotta get some useful range options before I hit Hero/GK.

i go with +Mag/-Luk

+Mag since i like the avatar to be a magic user (i like a unit with good Str/Magic) and -Luk, since it affects the growth rates that don't really matter to me...

+Mag/-Lck

Get enough Luck to Armsthrift with Limit Breaker, and then spam the 21MT Valflame off of your 60 Magic.

My assets usually tend to be on offensive stats, namely Strength, Magic, Skill and Speed, and my flaw is usually either something defensive or just luck. I might go for a Defense asset soon enough though...

I do +str/mag -hp for most of my runs because i'm a massive minmaxing scrub

Asset defense and flaw luck. The flaw is pretty realistic for me, and I can't stand squishy characters. Thus I refuse to be a squishy character. If I were to be perfectly realistic, it'd be asset magic and flaw luck.

My main avatar, Robin, has +mag and -skl. Picked skill for my flaw because lolskill and it doesn't affect magic or speed. My main female avatar, Iona, has +str and -mag. She refused to get magic for all but 2 levels on her first run as a tactician. RAGE.

1st run(FeMU): +Str/-Def because strength is essential for me since I like to go physical and this combination makes up the least stat deductions.

2nd run(MaMU): +Spd/-Mag because speed is my 2nd essential stat and since my character is a physical unit he doesn't need magic.

File 1 My Unit is STR+ MAG-, simply because she's a female unit, and I hate the stereotype that girls are supposed to be better at magic. 8U

File 2 My Unit is MAG+ DEF-, because he's a Sage now, and I like my male mages to be glass cannons.

File 3 My Unit is SPD+ LCK-, since he's a Lunatic My Unit, and I didn't want him doubled by all the myrms in the Prologue.

The Avatar that's meant to be me (and which has my real name) goes +Speed/-Luck, simply because I can make up for the loss in Strength and Magic by having more of a chance to double and evade. (And it gives me 40 or above in every stat except Strength as a Sorcerer.)

My alternate Avatar (which uses my username) is +Magic/-Luck, which gives balanced offensive stats over 40 each as a Dread Fighter (and I can go with a magic class if I want to).

My main female Avatar goes +Magic/-Strength, because it complements the modifiers of her husband really well. (And allows me to make male Morgan into a pretty effective Sorcerer.)

My other female Avatar will go +Resistance/-Strength to make a balanced Dark Knight Morgan with Conquest.

I do +str/mag -hp for most of my runs because i'm a massive minmaxing scrub

so you give yourself -1 in str/mag/lck/def/res from a -hp modifier?

+MAG: I hack. I make magic. I tend to also do some simple video editing that people describe as black magic.

-LUCK: I have horrible luck in real life.

Gameplay-wise? I don't have a reason to do so. My reason for favoring that set is completely "I see the MU/Avatar as a self-insert".

...and it's pretty damn funny to see myself get crit and killed on Lunatic/Lunatic+ because the Luck Flaw in the game goes with my Luck flaw in real life.

you'd get crit even with +luck

+LUK, -SKL. -LUK builds are so very cookie-cutter these days... Then again, they were ALWAYS cookie-cutter, haha. But in all seriousness, I consider a Skill flaw to have the least adverse effects.

Edited by Levant Fortner

that's because who cares about luck

You do realize you're addressing someone who DOES care about luck, right?