Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Mafia

Kay

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies, but I know Kay goes poof on the weekends, and I was busy last night. I'll try to be on before phase end, but if Kay doesn't end the phase, then there's a chance phase end will be a touch late.

Oh hey, we won. Badass. <3

I think I play too townie as Third Party, but it all worked out in the end. Thanks to Kevin for never slapping me for all the silly claim shenanigans. I was hoping scum would shoot me, ending the game for them instantly, but 13th pulling through instead was fine too.

Also, Manix was the most obvious cop ever.

EDIT: Also, can the hidden forums become public now that the game's over? I'm curious what went down in the scum QT.

Edited by Prims

I pretty much knew you scanned me due to the Skull claim and because you had a complete flip-flop about your opinions on me overnight. :T Still, scum didn't pick up on it, it seems, so no harm done.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, postgame is finally up. I'm really sorry for the delay. All hidden sections of the game forum are now public, as well, if anyone still cares.

Spreadsheet, with night actions: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au2YuLoNBFCZdENlYXlrbGU4aHlxcGpOa3I2aWIzblE&hl=en_US#gid=0

Game overview:

This game was built mostly around the trio of Dusknoir, Grovyle, and Celebi. Celebi originally had no role except for eavesdropping on Dusknoir and Grovyle, but I felt that encouraged metagaming excessively, and would leave Celebi's player with nothing at all to do if they didn't talk enough.

The blank accounts were to give Celebi a way to hide, without causing some kind of mess with players being able to target either aliases or SF users. In addition, I wanted to limit the pool of possible hidden players, so that people would have a clue about their existence, so the game didn't devolve into "kill random people who have played mafia on SF before", and so that Celebi wouldn't be caught immediately because of it being fishy for them not to play.

These doubled as alts for Grovyle and Dusknoir, which both gave the mafia more encouragement than the town to kill off unconfirmed accounts, and was what seemed like a convenient way to arrange a form of OC that Celebi could access.

For anyone who's curious, killing The Greyhound or Changeling Child wouldn't have affected Dusknoir/Grovyle at all.

The town had more numerical advantage than usual, but also could potentially lose two days - one to Wigglytuff, one to Skuntank.

Talking at night was originally going to be disallowed - I didn't announce this at first because it didn't seem that important. I probably underestimated this, I guess. This was largely to prevent Croagunk from asking for claims immediately upon learning what items he got.

This was where one of two host errors came in - I didn't lock the day thread the way I had meant to, and then Clipsey started a night thread unexpectedly, since I hadn't expected her to be helping with the game as much, so I didn't tell her as much as I should have.

The second host error was that both of us totally spaced Core's role on D1 - that lynch should have been a tie between Tarnished Silver and Mountain. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't have made a difference, except for indicating that vote counts had been messed with. Which I also don't think would have ended up mattering.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have revealed anything about subs, probably should have added a fourth mafia role, thought more about what could target blank accounts, and should probably have given Dusknoir and Grovyle more of an incentive to actually talk to each other. I also should have communicated better with Eclipse. My cohosting skills clearly need some work.

Player/Faction Analysis

The Saboteurs/Mafia: Had terrible luck and all subbed out at once.

MVP: the_whistler

the_whistler/Marth - Exile

Dialga, Janitor

Whistler did a good job of being active and organized in the mafia board, but was somewhat less outstanding otherwise. His skill took me by surprise, though, and I would have liked to see what would have happened if he stayed in the game. Marth... didn't have much time to do anything. Lynched Day 2 for general scumtelling.

Levantamos/Dave Strider - Call the Names

Dusknoir, Godfather/Disguiser

Levity was more or less herself during D1. Played well before getting depressed and subbing out. Rein entered the game in a pretty bad situation and didn't seem to be trying very hard. He didn't have anyone to talk to about the game for most of the time he was playing, though, so I can't tell much about his thoughts besides that he really hates hidden players. Shot by the vig on Night 3. Nothing in her role ended up being used.

If the mafia killed Celebi and then Grovyle, Grovyle's death would not have been announced, Dusknoir would have gained access to Grovyle's account and been able to post as him, as well as gaining a pseudo-bulletproof vest - both accounts would have to be killed separately. There would have been an indication in the flavor that someone's alliance had been changed.

Luster Purge - Tarnished Silver

Sableye, Jack-of-all-Trades

Didn't do much because of his slow internet connection. Got lynched D1 for not posting. I really liked this role, too. Would have been nice to see how it worked out.

The Guild/Town: Had a slow start, but mostly got their act together after D1.

Nightmare/Strawman - Mountain

Grovyle, Miller/Limited OC

Nightmare played well enough for a while, then joined the demotivation club. Their identities ended up being way too obvious due to how I handled subs. Strawman was himself - generally quiet and timid.

Diavolo - Sedna

Wigglytuff, Persuader/Mayor/Beloved Princess

Played quite well IMO, which took me by surprise somewhat considering his frequent use of metagaming. He was reasonably talkative, and also managed to not look scummy himself.

Rapier/13th - Crashing Down

Chatot, Vigilante

Another of the better town players. Rapier's play was fairly average, but 13th's 10-crazy-theories-each-minute playstyle did a lot to help the town talk more. He needs to get the hang of making other people look like better lynch candidates than him, though. There was improvement, but he still ended up appearing somewhat scummy.

Naglfar - Fisherman's Boy

Sunflora, Rogue/Suicidal Townie

He played quite well, albeit starting late. I came really close to choosing him as MVP, but Core managed to look more townish while still talking a lot.

Manix - War Between Brothers

Magnezone, Cop

His targeting was good, but his talking was somewhat lackluster. Pointing out the existence of Team Skull without revealing that it was Prims's alignment was unwise, IMO, considering how much Prims was controlling the town. He spent a lot of time looking suspicious, and I consider softclaiming info roles like that to be a bad idea anyway - the mafia already knows you aren't mafia, so they're a lot more likely to shoot you than the town is to trust you for it. Nonetheless, he played well for it being his first time on SF.

JBCWK - Kingsword

Piplup, Backup Cop/Dreamer

JB was fairly average. He made some good points and was reasonably active, but also didn't do anything that spectacular.

Haze - Miles to Go

Loudred, Announcer

Tempted me to modkill him, was relatively inconspicuous during most of the game. To my disappointment, he did nothing with the interesting part of his role. Generally didn't stand out much.

Iris - Inspiration

Croagunk, Inventor

Made several good posts, but still took a fairly passive role. People didn't claim characters much at all, so her role ended up being less useful than I had predicted.

Fimbulvetr/Rothene - Measure of a Man

Chimecho, Doctor

I'd like to say more about these guys, but to be frank, they didn't really play much. Would be interesting to see Fimbulvetr play a game here without being as busy and/or demotivated.

I don't think I mentioned it when I first revealed all the roles - the warning about targeting mafia is actually a somewhat important hint. Chimecho would die after targeting mafia twice. Team Skull didn't count for this.

Cap'n Flint - Crimson Sky

Celebi, Hidden Coroner

Blitzy shouldn't have been hidden, he was more active than all sorts of other people. Had a good idea that targeting the blank account that had been killed would catch scum automatically, so Clipsey made me mess around with the rules (which were, admittedly, poorly thought out). Nightmare and Levity were too inactive for the other half of his role to be much use.

Team Skull/Neutrals: This started out as one role with an extra account, and both abilities. I gave Koffing a separate player slot to increase the game size. In retrospect, their win condition was too easy, but I doubt it would have mattered much.

MVP: Prims

Prims - Trail of Tears

Skuntank, Vote Bomb

Did a lot of coordination on their hidden board, and played too well if anything. Was instrumental to getting the town to start discussing things more. I feel kind of bad that I designed his role so that he didn't have much of a challenge without trying to play as town.

Kirsche - May Queen

Koffing, Silencer

Played quite well, and probably would have managed to win on his own. Called just about everyone out excessively on D1 and ended up looking slightly scummy for it, but calmed down and got people to overlook it later on.

I should have anticipated that he wouldn't do anything with his role, and not planned on it causing trouble for the town.

In conclusion, this was a poorly designed and hosted game, which I take full blame for, but I hope everyone had at least some fun playing. Hopefully I can learn from this and next time keep things interesting enough that half the players don't have to sub out. You all have my sincere apology for the lack of balance and organization.

Edited by Centurion

The town had more numerical advantage than usual

not really, if Kevin and I both ended up alive in LYLO I totally would have just claimed then hammered with scum for an instant win 8)

Haze - Miles to Go

Loudred, Announcer

Tempted me to modkill him, was relatively inconspicuous during most of the game. To my disappointment, he did nothing with the interesting part of his role. Generally didn't stand out much.

I don't remember making any Proto jokes this game... unless it was the whole "babelicious hosts" thing.

And yeah I did nothing with the interesting part of the role as I saw no value in rolling the dice and sending a message to 3 random players when I had no information worth sending out in such a way.

Oh sure I could have tried immitating you and spreading misinformation, the thought did cross my mind, but the word limit as well as the high chance of it backfiring by hitting an important town member and causing them to misstep made it not worth the risk.

Rein, why did you decide to kill me? D': I mean, I know you were probably jealous of my dashing user name and gorgeous avatar, but still.

Oh, yeah, haha, probably should have asked for character claims --- I actually was, on D3, but then I sort of, well, died.