Getting rid of the postcount system

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember once FESS did away with post counts, there was inherent complaining that many members no longer had their original member number, this coming directly after one of the migrations--there's another one.

But really, why take people that regress to materialistic egos so seriously :?

Edited by Celice

What's the point in getting rid of it? People will always find a way to be elitist; if it's not post count it'll be something else. And there are rules against spam and all that, so...

Exactly. Like at another forum I go to, people began to become member number elitist. Why don't we kill those as well? Hell, why don't we get rid of everything in our profiles? We can be labeled as numbers!

AKA, it's a stupid idea to kill something that defines a member. If somebody has a really high post count, you learn a lot about them.

I remember once FESS did away with post counts, there was inherent complaining that many members no longer had their original member number, this coming directly after one of the migrations--there's another one.

But really, why take people that regress to materialistic egos so seriously :?

Unfortunately they're the ones who are usually the loudest. But that's when you have the admin step in and say, "No. This is the way it's going to be, and if you don't want to shut up about it, then leave." So I mean ultimately something like this would be the staff's decision, but I really doubt that this particular problem is high on the priority list right now (and honestly, it should never get to a point where it's that high).

I have a better idea.

Make your post count go down every time you post in Far from the Forest.

Haha, I like that. A shame it's not going to happen though.

Although I can imagine people trying to get huge negative postcounts that way (but of course, you could probably set the min. postcount to 0).

get rid of it if you think its a bother I haven't seen one person so far that's been acting all high and mighty about having a high post count, I haven't seen any of the royals do that yet since I've been here

Make your post count go down every time you post in Far from the Forest.

yes yes yes yes

Yes, you are.

?___?

I see no reason to keep or get rid of them. So just don't fix what isn't broken, I guess.

I despise those horrific topics that go "LOLOLOL I HAS 666 POSTS GAIZ" so please eradicate them.

Or make it only count how many times you post in FftF. Because the higher your post count, the more obvious it is you spam :D

This, but don't tell anyone.

Also, on a sort of side subject, can we just have something that randomly changes the name of the FE4 Thread every time someone posts in it in order to save MaleFox the trouble?

Get rid of it. It just causes the e-peen maggots to go "HURP I HAVE LOTS MORE POSTS THAN HIM SO YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO ME" when they're blathering on with their box of tard.

Except I've yet to see an example of that here. If I'm wrong, please link posts to me. There really isn't any good reason to get rid of them.

Get rid of it. It just causes the e-peen maggots to go "HURP I HAVE LOTS MORE POSTS THAN HIM SO YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO ME" when they're blathering on with their box of tard.

And when has this happened lately?

Is post count something to be proud of, or is it a measure of how much free time and useless posts you make? You decide.

And when has this happened lately?

If I recall correctly, Lyle used to be like that, although he's gone so it doesn't really matter much anymore.

AKA, it's a stupid idea to kill something that defines a member. If somebody has a really high post count, you learn a lot about them.

It tends to say a lot about their personality.

Why get rid of it? I haven't seen any form of elitism taking place around here. Those who say they have, or are at least complaining about elitism taking place are clearly holding a grudge against someone with a higher postcount than themselves.

I like showing my postcount to the rest of the forest. Not to be big-headed, but I don't spam (not intentionally, anyway) when posting and it's a number I'm quite proud of having. I don't think of myself as being "above" anyone else. I've never seen anyone who thinks they are, either.

Is post count something to be proud of, or is it a measure of how much free time and useless posts you make? You decide.

If I recall correctly, Lyle used to be like that, although he's gone so it doesn't really matter much anymore.

It tends to say a lot about their personality.

Key word:LYLE FRIGGIN DAYEK.

Though besides him I havent seen it much (and he did it months ago before he left)

Quantity doesn't say much, if anything. Quality does, however. A person may have many reasons for having a high post count (e.g. spam, having a lot to say, being here for a really long time, what have you), so post count tells you pretty much nothing about them. Number of posts doesn't tell you whether they're respected, whether they've just been here a long time or spam, where they've posted, or what they've said. It tells you how many posts they've made in boards that count posts. That's one bit of information, and it's not a very useful bit at that.

Edited by Crystal Shards

Matt also threw it around iirc. If we can get rid of a shitty stat-based bit of auto-elitism, we can at least better force people trying to be elitist to be able to do it solely on the content of their posts.

Edited by Mac

Again, my idea.

Make post count go down every time you post in FtfF.

This way, if people are being elitist with their post count, they probably are elite.

Way to make the problem even worse.

Edited by TheEnd

Post count is a stupid idea. But I'm all for Chainey's idea.

Or you can just get rid of it. Why not?