Let's Play FE4 Binary: Where Hacking Goes To Get Hacked

epilepsyduck

A Tale of Two Brothers  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which Joha brother joins our noble cause, and which is heartlessly slain?

• Recruit Johan, because this is Pony Emblem
    • Recruit Johalva, because I hate you

Now that we're finally through my excursion into Android FE clones, let's tread into slightly more familiar territory...

vy1sN3n.png?1

FE4 Binary, or just FEBinary, is a Japanese ROMhack of Genealogy of the Holy War, created by a hacker credited as "Habana♦887.bsRoNI". The story and maps have largely been left alone in favor of major modifications the game's mechanics, adding new weapons and classes, making enemies more diverse and challenging, and generally making the game less wildly unbalanced while expanding the player's options. The changes are fairly under the hood at first, but become more and more pronounced as things wear on. Inheritance has also been changed to make pairings like Dew X Lachesis and Lex X Ira more viable and unique than before, and generally greatly reduces the need for passing down Pursuit to as many children as possible in favor of more interesting skills and weapons.

Since the story has largely been left alone, I won't be touching upon the story events beyond how they affect gameplay (the hack's in Japanese anyway, so it's not like there's much to see for most of us). I'm also assuming people reading this have at least a passing familiarity with some of FE4's mechanics, as I'll largely be explaining the changes in terms of how they're different from the base game. I won't be listing growth rates, either, as no one's growths have been changed in the slightest.

Also, I'm not playing for ranks or LTC here, so I'm gonna be taking a fairly leisurely pace through things and taking whatever sort of advantages I can get. Sorry if that's not what you're into, I'm just not good enough for that kind of stuff!

With all that yammering out of the way, let's start the LP!

Prologue Part 1: Mechanically explaining mechanics

MvNDtKS.png?1

In addition to replacing the Nintendo logo with the image at the start of the topic, the opening intro has also been changed, showing the Hel spell animation from Thracia 776. How ominous.

RDkpSNb.png?1

Not much different at the title screen though. Let's put that spooky imagery out of our minds and start the game proper.

eQbS5o5.png?1

We start as this game always does, with Jungby getting its ass handed to it.

l8UcW6d.png?1

This hack has made a useless wimp shown here into a badass powerhouse. Midayle is also here.

LoikeGB.png?1

Sigurd and his questionably useful knights vow to save their utterly surrounded and helpless neighbors.

pvlxzoK.png?1

Now, before we begin, it's imperative to check the options menu. The bottom option is new to this hack, allowing you to select the difficulty, and it starts on "hard" by default. Here's me switching it to normal because I value my sanity.

wuZmd9c.png?1

Let's take a look at our starting posse before we charge for Jungby. A lot has changed for each of them.

MzljQTx.png?1gzOJC2x.png?1

Sigurd's bases have largely been left alone, the only changes being a single point of Resistance and 3 points in Magic, allowing him to use magic swords a little more effectively. The most interesting change is in his weapon ranks; he now has an A in swords instead of a *, despite still having major Baldo blood. Don't worry, he can still wield the Tyrfing just fine, this is merely a result in the weapon mechanics being altered.

Sigurd's sole skill, Pursuit, has been changed radically. Unlike the base game where units couldn't double attack without Pursuit, now any unit can double if their Attack Speed is at least 6 points higher than their foe, while Pursuit lowers that requirement to 3.

The menu itself has received some alterations, with the numbers near the portrait showing Critical chance and Attack Speed in addition to Damage, Accuracy, Evasion and Range. The bottom menu has also been changed, removing the "Talk" category in favor of a Win/Loss record like in the GBA games.

pVjjNx0.png?1HUUxohS.png?1

Noish received no stat changes, but the changes to Pursuit are a huge buff anyway, so he didn't need them. His Critical skill is quite different, though, as instead of merely allowing critical hits, it now changes the formula for them while still allowing units without the skill to get criticals. Units with the skill have a crit rate equal to their Skill, while units without the skill have a crit rate equal to half their Skill.

Speaking of criticals, the weapon kill bonuses have also been changed. Instead of the utterly silly kill count requirements that resulted in insanely high crit chances if you fed enough kills into a weapon, instead the bonuses are provided as +1 to crit chance for every 10 kills a weapon receives, maxing out at +10. You also get the same boost for every 10 fights you win, maxing out at +20.

Charge hasn't been changed at all as far as I know, so there's not much to say about it.

rbrD93E.png?106WhijQ.png?1

Alec received a measly point of Res for his trouble, and is more or less the same as he always was. In addition to the changes to Pursuit mentioned above, his Awareness skill works a bit differently now, still blocking enemy skills but no longer protecting him against critical hits or effective damage. Despite the change, it's still very useful, as a lot of enemies and bosses have multiple skills now.

kDtd9US.png?1dY3xkDY.png?1

Arden gained the largest number of buffs in the Chalphy crew. Statistically, he gained a point of Skill and a point of Resistance, but nothing else. The true buffs are in his new class, skills and weapon; he's now an Armor instead of a Sword Armor, and has gained access to all physical weapon types up to rank B instead of being locked to swords until promotion. He also starts with Great Shield as a personal skill, meaning he can pass it down. His new weapon is an Iron Blade instead of a measly Iron Sword, meaning he can deal some good damage right off the bat. While none of this fixes his mobility issues, it gives him enough of an edge to stay competitive.

His two skills are both pretty different now, actually, so let's talk about them. Great Shield now adds 20 Defense/Resistance when it activates instead of totally nullifying damage, which makes it less aggravating on enemies but a little less useful for the player, though it's still a great defensive measure. Vantage, meanwhile, has been buffed, allowing you to always attack first instead of merely when you're at half HP. This makes it a lot more useful for glass cannons and tanky units alike. It also cancel's your enemy's Pursuit skill.

78mje02.png?1

Let's actually start the game now that we've got all that out of the way. The Chalphy knights will hang around here for now to deal with all these axe users, while Sigurd charges for Jungby all alone.

Wt55xg9.png?1

Noish and the bandit smack each other. Expect this a lot with Noish; he's not very good at dodging even with WTA.

4odMmt0.png?1

Alec gets the kill.

TskfEzE.png?1

Can Sigurd make it in time to save his dear friend Adean and her useless fuckwit of a knight?

6zuMhMv.png?1

The answer to that, of course, is "no".

P1E4ufR.png?1

Gandolf whisks the poor cleric away and has his mook block our way to Evans.

ttmjYQA.png?1

Not much happens on enemy phase proper, aside from the usual axe-to-the-face.

oNMGcDY.png?1

Thankfully, Azel and Lex come in to help us sort things out. Time for more words!

M47qpeK.png?17PezOQs.png?1

Azel gained a point in Strength and a point in Resistance. The former is actually important now, as Strength now compensates for weapon weight. A unit uses half their Strength to mitigate weapon weight, meaning the stat actually has some value for mages now. I mean, unless you were the sort to give your Mage Knights and Mage Fighters swords, anyway, but who does that?

Speaking of weapon weight, the Anima Magic Triangle is no longer stupidly unbalanced and shitty, as tomes now have different stats aside from just weight! Fire tomes are strong but heavy (but not as insanely heavy as they were in vanilla FE4), Thunder tomes are the most accurate while being middle of the road otherwise, and Wind tomes are the lightest but least damaging (and they're now just a bit heavier than before). This is a huge deal for Azel, as it means he can use Fire tomes without suffering crippling drawbacks.

gQZv09Z.png?17jYHY2i.png?1

Lex's stats haven't changed at all. What has changed are his weapon ranks; his class now provides a C in swords. All the mono-weapon cavaliers now have a secondary weapon rank, actually, which makes passing things down so much easier and gives added flexibility to everyone. He's still got Vantage and Elite, too, but we've already explained how the former works now and the latter hasn't changed at all, so I've got nothing to say on that front.

t1gmoZs.png?1

Since Azel and Lex start next to a bandit who's about to start ransacking this village, I have Azel try and set up a kill for Lex.

StKSkJd.png?1

It works out differently when he crits, though. I guess he'll be keeping that kill.

Lv5xA40.png?1

Speaking of raiders, this guy has already damaged this village, so I'll have the Chalphy knights deal with him.

wm6qZST.png?1

Those terrain bonuses make it less easy than I'd hoped, though.

o10ZP8b.png?1

Since Arden can actually fight now, I let him join in on the bandit-killing fun.

gYQ9b2s.png?1ciUOPci.png?1

On enemy phase, we are pestered from afar by various minor annoyances.

32Il5tn.png?1

One thing that has not changed is Sigurd's ability to 2HKO almost everything on the map. He doesn't even have the Silver Sword yet!

PTc7SGY.png?1

Since Sigurd is feeling lonely charging for Jungby on his own, his sister, his best buddy, and some random blue guy show up to keep him company. These are the last stat sheets in this update, I promise!

9LEX78i.png?1yGnEIvo.png?1

Cuan lost his Javelin and a point of Strength, but gained 1 Def and 1 Res in exchange. he's got a B rank in swords now, if you want to hand him a spare for WTA, but is otherwise fairly similar. Continue has been nerfed a bit, activating based on Attack Speed instead of Attack Speed + 20, likely due to his new ability to double without it. He's also got a nifty trick he can pull that we'll hopefully be seeing in later chapters, but I won't be spoiling it now.

2Znx1xS.png?1pBst6Xp.png?1

Fin gained C swords, but received no stat changes. He's also basically the same, except for the changes that his Prayer skill have undergone. It's now something of a fusion of SNES-style Prayer and Tellius-style Miracle, not only boosting evasion based on how low your health is but also halving lethal damage. This is pretty abusable if you know what you're doing, and can let characters slip through Arena fights they otherwise shouldn't have won!

AtSXmGo.png?1aJiHd3W.png?1

Ethlin is statistically identical to vanilla FE4, and has no new weapon ranks or skills. This might seem underwhelming, but she's got an Ace up her sleeve:

ZQNm1bm.png?1

This is the first custom weapon in the game, the Lady Sword. Taken straight from Mystery of the Emblem, it's a sword equipabble only by women that deals effective damage to Bandit-type units like Brigands, Hunters, and Axe Fighters. Since almost every enemy in the next two chapters is weak to this weapon, it allows her to fight just as effectively as everyone else despite her poor stats, and by the time it becomes outdated she'll have the Light Sword to replace it. It also gives the Prayer skill, just to make it even better!

One downside is that it's a very expensive weapon to repair, so it's best not to abuse it too much. Still, it makes leveling Ethlin that much easier.

Since we're talking effective weapons here, effectiveness has also been changed; now instead of forced critical hits, it just adds 20 to your damage, regardless of how much damage you were doing before. It's a bit less silly this way.

VDaqnef.png?1

Look at these damage numbers, and realize no Ethlin before or since in vanilla FE4 has ever or will ever accomplish such feats. It's truly a beautiful world we live in.

377ppcc.png?1

It's also great to see this dainty pink haired lady utterly destroying everything.

4318BYQ.png?1

Don't worry, though, Ethlin's not the only character with new toys to play with. The Chalphy knights have now been given access to a Triangle Attack! It's hard to use before Arden promotes due to his 5 move, but damn is it awesome!

IIsFNj0.png?1

Not gonna lie, I feel like letting out an evil witch's cackle every time I do this.

aZNbq1x.png?1

Sigurd's nearly to Jungby. The reason I made him rush all the way here is because a bandit will start pillaging the village containing a Speed Ring soon, and I want Sigurd to save it before that happens.

By the way, there is no longer any difference, class and sprites wise, between bandits who raid villages and bandits who fight like there was in the original. Since the original "Mountain Thieves" sprite was incredibly ugly, though, I'm not too heartbroken by this change.

S1SvZFF.png?1

Since we've saved that village up north, Lex is now gonna rush to save the one in the middle of Bumfuck, Grannvale. I have no idea why there's a village all the way out in the middle of nowhere, but boy is it irritating to save!

JIcBUm1.png?1

Now we let the pain begin.

rfpzD7b.png?1

Fin's a bit of an arrow/hand axe magnet right now. Prayer means he's not in too much danger as long as Ethlin's around to heal him, but it can get a little irritating.

Vkfj9zU.png?1

One fantastic thing about FEBinary is that Lex can naturally double some of the enemies now. Granted, he's not fast enough to double everything, but just the fact he no longer needs the Hero Axe for that brings a tear of joy to my eye.

oAYyR5b.png?1

Ugh, really Azel? At least he kills him in retribution after this.

P7ZD1Di.png?1

And nets himself our very first level, consisting of +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Mdf. Hey, I'm all for you getting all of those things, but some magic would've been nice too, child.

3vC8rCb.png?1

Honestly, I'm so glad the game gives you time to save villages from bandit/pirate assault. Could you imagine how annoying it would be if they got crushed in one turn in a game with maps this huge?

fZ6zebr.png?1

There, that's the last of the bandits threatening Chalphy.

WM2WIew.png?1

Now just patch up the knights and they can go help liberate some of the villages.

EOAAmke.png?1

FEBinary makes feeding Fin a bit harder, especially in the next chapter, so I'm trying to get him kills early on so he doesn't fall completely behind.

tpdeiAB.png?1

Lex falls just shy of attacking this bandit. There's another 500 gold down the drain.

Vuw515Y.png?1

Sigurd swoops in to take down the Axe Knight while avoiding the guards surrounding the castle.

51MxkPM.png?1

He gets an underwhelming +2 MHP, +1 Skl out of the deal. So much for that 50% Strength growth.

P9EqoPD.png?1

If you're wondering why I was worried about the dudes surrounding the castle, it's because they've gone from crappy Bandits to surprisingly competent Fighters, and are wielding Hand Axes that they can throw with alarming accuracy.

And yes, the Hand Axe icon is almost identical to the Iron Axe one, for reasons I cannot fathom. An unfortunate side effect of this hack's love for changing the game's graphics to FE5 counterparts is that some of the items end up looking the same.

pCgURx3.png?1d0V8aXD.png?1

Not that avoiding them helped much when Hunters are still prowling around. Fin also took yet another axe to the face, just to prove the RNG doesn't love him.

mttdyFz.png?1

Fin pays him back in full on my turn, at least.

fRYKoQ4.png?1

Alright, time to save that Speed Ring!

QmKZzq0.png?1

Ugh, he just barely survived that. Maybe gaining some strength would've been a nice idea, Sigurd.

id6AeLl.png?1

Cuan tries to soften up some hunters for Fin to kill, much like a mother bird chewing up food for its young.

XwVO2ej.png?1

Lex finally made it to the Village of Isolation, and prepares to squish the guy who's currently razing it to the ground.

Fgr9J4i.png?1

He gets a very Lex-like +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def for his troubles. Well, okay, the speed is a bit of a nice bonus.

tzgYnzo.png?1

Since Sigurd's proven surprisingly hittable so far, I was worried about the bandits lurking aroud Jungby. Fortunately, the village terrain bonuses keep him safe.

0HVc8Nx.png?1

Hey! Don't shoot at the healer! It seems someone's gonna have to get acquainted with her blade.

5kxZ8ca.png?1

Finally, this village is safe.

RWhFpga.png?1

In hindsight, I should've let someone else have this, but Sigurd's been taking a lot of hits, so it'll help him out.

VUC5GM8.png?1

It certainly provides a big boost.

VT11qER.png?1

Killing whatever leftovers Cuan and Ethlin leave behind nets Fin +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Luk. Glad I can count on you.

eVbL3jf.png?1

Ethlin shows him how it's done with +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def. I think Ethlin wants to be a tanky Troubadour.

eBJ8vqe.png?1

That extra point of Speed allow Lex to double this bandit when he couldn't before. He takes him down like a champ.

0rPVUs0.png?1

I was gonna let Ethlin have this to afford Lady Sword repairs, but you've earned it!

edF37W6.png?1

Having caught up with Sigurd, I accidentally leave Cuan in range of the fighters, who proceed to mock him for forgetting his Javelin.

ftp60yO.png?1

There's a village right in front of the bridge leading to Evans castle, and Noish and Alec have finally arrived to save it. Azel is trotting on down to help.

WJVSLE7.png?1

It's time to start clearing things out around Jungby. That way we can deal with the boss without any distractions.

mzFAzl0.png?1

Fin gets knocked into Prayer range, but not far enough in that I feel comfortable.

qc0unlS.png?1

The Speed Ring really saves Sigurd's skin here. I don't know why he was having such bad luck before.

1duBlq9.png?1

Nice try, but no one will harm so much as a hair on that lovely pink mane.

E9Lw1JE.png?1

Boy, these axes sure are getting out of hand!

I felt my sins crawling on my back

HfafGXn.png?1

So even though I sent Noish and Alec to deal with this guy, Azel ends up stealing the kill.

fCYdPCd.png?1

We're making short work of these guys now that it's not just Sigurd handling everything.

AbJRQqZ.png?1

Sadly, Ethlin gets a measly +1 MHP from the fight. I suppose frontline duty isn't in your future.

Wh2q46b.png?1

There, that's the last of them. Now all that's left is the boss.

dadPXIZ.png?1WI2klfg.png?1

Dimaggio here has received a number of buffs from his shitty vanilla version, most notable among them being +3 Strength, Pursuit and the addition of a Hand Axe to his inventory. Oddly, though, he lost a leadership star, not that it really matters now that all his men are dead.

Also I lied earlier. I'm not sorry.

EfI97c8.png?1

We'll have to save that for another time, though. We'll be dealing with useless arch knights and critical hits when next we meet, so see you then!

Nobody told me there was a typo in the first fucking sentence of the first fucking post and I'm ashamed for life.

Edited by epilepsyduck

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite having played FE4 several times, I've never played this hack, so I'm interested to see what other changes there are.

BTW if you don't get Arden to 100 kills by

BBQ time

I'm unsubscribing.

Yeah, that hack is amazing. I played it years ago but I lost my enthusiasm after I killed Athenna in Chapter 8 using a long-range tome. Initially this seemed to have no consequence, as she appeared in the next chapter as normal. But after saving and loading, she was gone. Doesn't exactly help that things get pretty crazy in chapter 9. I really need to get back to it eventually.

Anyway, I did not know that the hack had a difficult setting. Does it do the same thing as in the original game or does it affect more then just the AI?

Edited by BrightBow

Despite having played FE4 several times, I've never played this hack, so I'm interested to see what other changes there are.

BTW if you don't get Arden to 100 kills by

BBQ time

I'm unsubscribing.

Don't worry, I tend to show everyone's least favorite Armor Knight a lot of undeserved favoritism in this hack, so he just might make it!

Aw, the hack is untranslateable? That sucks, but this looks really awesome.

Yep, trying to use it with the translation patch breaks everything. I suppose someone could try to translate the menus, but that constitutes modifying and redistributing someone else's work without their permission, so I don't think anyone would.

It's really not a big deal if you're familiar with FE4's menus, though. I get by just fine.

Yeah, that hack is amazing. I played it years ago but I lost my enthusiasm after I killed Athenna in Chapter 8 using a long-range tome. Initially this seemed to have no consequence, as she appeared in the next chapter as normal. But after saving and loading, she was gone. Doesn't exactly help that things get pretty crazy in chapter 9. I really need to get back to it eventually.

Anyway, I did not know that the hack had a difficult setting. Does it do the same thing as in the original game or does it affect more then just the AI?

The "hard" difficulty setting boosts the stats of generic enemies and gives a crit bonus to bosses. And it's the default difficulty option! Oddly, I don't think it affects the AI anymore, but I haven't done any testing to make sure.

It's time to wrap up the Prologue so we can start experiencing the insanity in earnest! Get ready;

Prologue Part 2: Lex the Swift and Ethlin the Mighty

vHX45DF.png?1

We'll open things up by patching up poor Fin here. He's been taking quite a beating this whole chapter, hasn't he?

zh2y6E9.png?1

For reasons unfathomable to even myself, much less mortal minds like yours, I try to have Fin attack the boss despite what a horrible idea that clearly is.

GjPBnl9.png?1

Remarkably, he lands a hit and doesn't get hit in return! Having only 1 RN has its perks.

4F2zXzE.png?1

Both of those things are more than the prepromote can claim to have accomplished. Every point of experience counts, Cuan, stop wasting your chances!

VQCYe2j.png?1

We didn't deal any real damage to the boss this turn.

GvCGoaB.png?1

And he just heals what little damage we did deal away next turn. I'm such a good tactician!

gp3y8fT.png?1

After Sigurd and a few others fail to hit him, I decide to break out the heavy artillery.

uDEbL6g.png?1

By the end of enemy phase, both of them are at low health. Just as planned, really.

uxYhJhv.png?1

I don't actually want Ethlin to get the kill, so I send someone who's only means of leveling up is cold-blooded murder.

nDe5l40.png?1

By all rights, he should be a dead man.

a74R3fT.png?1

Unfortunately, he dodged the first blow, leaving him badly injured but alive. Having only 1 RN has its downsides.

MWKLtne.png?1

Not much else to do, I guess. Go for it, Arden!

85Qv2R1.png?1

I'm so glad you aren't awful anymore.

ngx9B6c.png?1

Arden gets +1 MHP, +1 Def out of this fight. That's very Arden.

iRdvLNA.png?1

With the boss down, everyone but Sigurd will get into formation near Evans castle for the axefest that follows retaking Jungby

rWiLqO4.png?1

Ethlin heals herself at the church and patches everyone else up, netting herself +1 MHP, +1 Skl from the deal. You can do better, lady.

C10rPej.png?1

Everyone's ready for the swarm that's about to emerge from Evans castle.

GMEVxiL.png?1

Nothing left to do but nab this sucker, then!

8GbpFHx.png?1

Look who decided to wake up from his little nap.

j1avpXI.png?1

Not that we ever needed this motherfucker, but let's take a look at him anyway.

4zN8Eg7.png?102T3NAC.png?1

Midayle is statistically identical, and has no new skills. The most important thing is the addition of C swords to his weapon ranks, allowing him to actually fighting in melee combat if we want him to. This is the only real edge he has over the other bow wielders, to be perfectly honest, especially given some of the new bows available in this hack, so I suppose we could say he's been buffed, but only a bit.

Gvj3kkB.png?1

Gerrard immediately knows of Dimaggio's defeat, and sends out the reinforcements to deal with it.

BXRgW1i.png?1

Much like the rest of the enemies, a few of them have gained ponies, but they're basically still the same.

5zwNEBe.png?1

One such unit lowers the drawbridge, which in hindsight was an idiotic move on his part. If he'd left it up, we'd be stuck outside of Verdane, with no way in, forever.

qZl20jr.png?1

That very same Axe Knight tries to get first blood on Cuan.

0Enp7qW.png?1

He only ends up embarrassing himself.

ApjCqYM.png?1

Arvis also shows up, bearing gifts for our pony lord. It even comes with an invitation to a cookout he's hosting in the desert.

i17Moj0.png?1EaHMuIC.png?1

Arvis is still all sorts of unkillable, and gained a couple new skills, for whatever reason. Oddly, most of his stats actually appear to have gone down instead of up like most NPCs, but his defense and luck went shooting through the roof to compensate. He also lost his Recover Ring, but let's be real here, he never actually needed the damn thing.

BmQs7hL.png?1

Valflame, like all the Holy Weapons, received a bit of a nerf, in this case to its damage, but it's still an extremely strong weapon you don't want to fuck with.

9kDm7fU.png?1

Azel hides behind the interface, worried at making a fool of himself now that Arvis is here.

4PC3QSc.png?1

Make your brother proud, kid.

TWdZilO.png?1

Midayle has arrived, and I have everyone else stay as they are, since most of them are on forest or village tiles.

SqvT5TP.png?1

As I expected, most of them target Fin, who does a surprisingly good job defending himself.

3GYe5kD.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Str. Not such a great job improving himself, though.

XHRLrha.png?1

The ones who didn't target Fin largely picked on two other targets; Ethlin...

CFSn8Ou.png?1

... and Noish. Both also do an admirable job dodging this turn, to the point where I receive no damage the entire time.

QzRwRKq.png?1

I want to get Arvis out of here before he gets any funny ideas about gobbling up precious experience that could go to my units instead. Let's park Sigurd here instead of joining with everyone else.

pN8WyCW.png?1

Since the enemies have so obligingly run out to greet us, I think it's only fair we repay them with senseless slaughter.

DCmLT9p.png?1

And with rewards like Azel's +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Mgc, +1 Luk level here, it's clearly worth it!

OL6ht6B.png?1Pum2FQ2.png?1

Everyone performs competently, from those in the "needs improvement" category;

EOFLSfH.png?1ZB3uhAw.png?1

To the "already kind of ridiculous" category;

Itss1td.png?1

To even Midayle's own utterly worthless ass! What a special time this is.

Pxr5aK7.png?1

Sadly, I suppose it wasn't to last.

PtPMpEt.png?1

+1 Skl, +1 Luk. You're not inspiring a lot of confidence in me, Alec.

iEf9AU1.png?1

I can't even blame Midayle for this one. I shouldn't have left him in melee range.

FEnCWTe.png?1

I can blame him for this one, though.

5PnIvU6.png?1

Sigurd steals from Arvis on the road and sends his ass back to Belhalla. I'm sure this won't bite us in the ass later down the road.

LqyXXcv.png?1

And now, the true slaughter begins.

Y2Kl7JE.png?1

The silver sword has been nerfed slightly, losing a point of Might and gaining 6 points of Weight, though the new weight mechanics mean it's actually lighter in Sigurd's hands now. It's still very powerful, of course.

m8UTaj0.png?1

Sigurd tries out his new toy on some of these weirdos.

fgEwsLb.png?1

I still love how his sister is dealing more damage than him despite only having 5 Strength.

99BvXE5.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Str. Oooh, make that 6 Strength! Maybe a frontline combat role is in your future after all!

o0X4iou.png?1

+1 MHP. Certainly, it's looking like a better prospect for her than her husband.

cBZbyrm.png?1

There aren't a whole lot of these guys left, so soon we'll be ready to deal with the boss himself.

SYPjhFE.png?1

Lex is determined to become the speediest Lex anyone's ever seen, with a +1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Def level.

DdbHqNX.png?1

Arden gets yet another typical level with +1 Str, +1 Def.

eiat5N7.png?1

Fin winds things down with an empty level. You're not gonna survive Jeigan-ing for Leif and Nanna in Gen 2 at this point!

4s7MnFK.png?1

Since Fin got the last kill, we're heading for Evans to crush the last boss of the Prologue.

Z3wnBwE.png?1

Let's just skip to the part where everyone's already there so we can look at Gerrard's beautiful face again.

7cftGP1.png?1C06gExr.png?1

Oddly, he's lost his Steel Axe, and has generally received fewer buffs than the previous boss did. The addition of the Critical skill makes him very dangerous, though, especially since we have no way to nullify critical hits with the nerfs to Awareness.

QoOKTWg.png?1

Let's open things up with dignified grace.

RoKF33q.png?1

Yes!

7ml43Sp.png?1

No!

RKsXInR.png?1Ktwgx3u.png?1

It's an unfortunate fact of vanilla FE4 and FEBinary alike that bosses that shouldn't be a problem can have annoyingly good survivability based purely on being parked on a castle.

dPwxrN3.png?1

Will Arden get another chance to impress us?

UT6vLlQ.png?1

Unfortunately, the answer is no. At least he dodged one attack.

evmeeQJ.png?1

Sibling criticals make everything better, though.

fFF2fHu.png?1

The beast is vanquished.

sjac32C.png?1

+1 MHP. Thanks, Sigurd.

GV5Pttv.png?1

After doing some heal-grinding, in which Ethlin earns absolutely fuck all...

xtZrMrk.png?1

And letting her grab all the villages that haven't already been visited...

dQrnbbY.png?1

We're finally out of the Prologue!

kj7ZILU.png?1

We'll be seeing more interesting and crazy changes in the next chapter, so hope I'll see you there and then!

You're Lex is doing well with his speed too, I see. On my run, I was already wondering if they might have raised his speed growth. Either way, Lex probably benefits the most from the changed weapon mechanics, seeing how he has such high strength.

Edited by BrightBow

Sigurd, you dumbass! Once you steal from a noble, they'll think you killed the Prince...oh wait. I can't wait to see what sort of pairings you've devised.

I haven't even decided on anyone but Ira's future hubby.

Alvis is just mad because Sigurd has the superior banana-face.

I never noticed this and now it's all I can see, I hope you're happy!

You're Lex is doing well with his speed too, I see. On my run, I was already wondering if they might have raised his speed growth. Either way, Lex probably benefits the most from the changed weapon mechanics, seeing how he has such high strength.

Lex is a serious contender for best 1st Gen character in FEBinary imo. The fact most axes have had their weight brought down to a not-utterly-insane level helps a lot.

We've escaped the Prologue and started the game's first actual chapter, the first place where the difficulty starts to ramp up.

Chapter 1 Part 1: Violating the Genoa Conventions

G3p8Rbo.png?1

Ah, Verdane. A land of barbarian warlords who raid their own villages, forests that dominate 95% of the terrain, and strange women lying in ponds distributing axes. I won't have as much to say about the technical modifications here as the previous chapter, but there's still a few neat changes and surprises for first time players.

GqT95UV.png?1

Here's Eltshan losing his head over Sigurd taking up residence in Evans castle.

lekQtNm.png?1

As well as Kinbois coming to give us hell, while leaving everyone's favorite myrmidon behind to make taking Genoa far harder than it needs to be.

btXvFDq.png?1

Our forces are still nice and cozy in the home castle, though, so let's take a look at what's changed around here.

iJI7f7q.png?1

The economy of Verdane crashed hard when King Batou took the throne, and it's affected small business pretty severely. The armory, for example, has been forced to sell half its inventory at a loss before we arrived, leaving only a Steel Axe and Javelin behind. I give the former to Lex and the latter to Fin.

kOLTbNf.png?1

The repair shop, meanwhile, has jacked its prices way up, making repairs cost 2-3 times more than they used to. New weapons like the Lady Sword here in particular are exorbitantly expensive to fix.

0VpGx9g.png?1

Fortunately, one place has been doing pretty well after all this; the arena!

MiHsBzz.png?1

You see, while FEBinary made things a lot more expensive, it also provided you with more income for fighting through the Arena. The reward for beating the final opponent, in particular, is double that of the base game!

This means a lot if you use less expensive weapons to fight your way through, as it lets you build up some pretty decent reserve funds for your army. The gold cap itself has been raised from 50,000 to 65,000, giving your characters room for a lot of rainy day money. So while everything is pricier, if you're smart you'll actually come out of this richer than you would've in the base game!

WT7gk4M.png?1

I got everyone as far as I could through the arena, providing them with some good levels and some not so good ones. How far they made it and what those levels are can be found under the spoiler below:

Arena Rankings and Level Ups:

ARENA COMPLETION- Sigurd *, Cuan *, Ethin 7, Arden 6, Noish 6, Alec 5, Fin *, Lex 7, Azel *, Midayle 5

ARENA LEVELS-

Sigurd: 2 levels- +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +2 Luk

I'm kind of concerned that Sigurd has yet to earn a single point of Strength. I don't need a Strength-screwed lord in my life.

Ethlin: 2 levels- +2 MHP, +2 Str

His sister, meanwhile, is beefier than she has any right to be. She just might make a good Paladin if this keeps up!

Cuan: 1 level- +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Def

Cuan nabs a couple essential stats, which is good, given his first level wasn't so hot.

Arden: 1 level- +1 MHP, +1 Spd

Speed? Who are you and what have you done with Arden?

Noish: 2 levels- +2 MHP, +1 Luk

I've never had a good Noish, and it looks like that pattern isn't going to change anytime soon.

Alec: 1 level- +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Luk

I have had some success with Alec before, but he seems satisfied to stay in his rut this time around.

Fin: 2 levels- +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +2 Luk

You're lucky the game hands you a Hero Lance later down the line, because shit like this is unacceptable.

Lex: 4 levels- +3 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +2 Luk, +1 Def

Lex is becoming remarkably well rounded. Color me impressed.

Azel: 3 levels- +2 Spd, +1 Mgc, +1 Luk

Azel's not doing so bad, either. That speed in particular's been stacking up like crazy.

Midayle: 2 levels- +1 Skl, +2 Spd, +1 Def

Even Midayle, surprisingly enough, is turning out fairly competent. Maybe I won't need to bench you this time.

StUhTLg.png?1

With all that out of the way, let's rush out to deal with Kinbois and his approaching axesquad.

aomQfVT.png?1

Fin has not been turning out so great, but this conversation here will mitigate the damage. He gets +1 Str, +1 Skl, +1 Def out of the deal, just like always.

hrNCZ60.png?1

After everyone's moved, the brigands continue to charge at us.

tmGOJDS.png?1

Meanwhile, Jamke springs Adean and Dew out of prison.

EjbPmxr.png?1

Note Jamke's sexy bare chest new map sprite. It's relevant information for later.

9FYicMh.png?1

Gandolf is downright furious about the escapees, and sends a swarm of common bandits, lead by a single axe fighter, to deal with the problem.

QOLBh2O.png?1

Before they're forced to run for their lives, let's look at the new muscle joining us today.

PRKMDT3.png?1zJ29l8p.png?1

Adean gained a point of Magic, but lost a point of Defense in exchange, and is still equipped only with a Relive staff. The true changes lie in her weapon ranks; Priests can now wield C rank light magic, making them remarkably strong mages even before promotion, and greatly reducing the problems they have getting money to repair their staves. She doesn't start with a tome, though, so for now she's basically the same helpless healer.

5tsAMKY.png?1OGWvrR3.png?1

Dew, sadly, has not improved anywhere near as much as far as being a unit goes. +1 Str and +1 Spd are nice, but not really enough to make him a viable frontline fighter, though at least he can double now with the changes to Pursuit and all. He does become extremely effective after promotion, though, but whether it's worth the effort it takes to get him there is for you to decide. He can still steal money just fine in any case, at least.

One thing that has changed is how useful he is as a father, all thanks to one thing; Sol is no longer nonsensically restricted to on-foot sword wielders. This greatly expands his pairing options, and takes him from being a fairly worthless husband for mothers like Lachesis or Adean and makes him far more viable. The other sword skills have undergone this change, too, which means a lot for Holyn and Ira and some of the weapons available to them and their children.

3nzb25F.png?1

Unlike vanilla FE4, it's not a good idea to let Dew sit on the village and fight the bandits, as they all have a non-zero hit rate on him now, and they'll chop him to bits in only two hits. It's better to just run for it.

ng5lpVb.png?1

Sigurd opens up the fight by attacking a village raiding kind of bandit.

wltmyzn.png?1

I want to be economical with my Silver Sword uses, so I use the ol' Steel for this.

4J9e4Zk.png?1K3ZSrUI.png?1

We're ready for the approaching horde. Notice I left no one in range of Kinbois.

lyhXa39.png?1xI9R6Jv.png?1

This is because Kinbois is a lot more threatening now, with buffs to his Strength and Defense, and the addition of the Charge skill. That Hand Axe wasn't such a big deal before, but with Charge he can throw it over and over again, and that's not even getting into the Silver one!

s5sQLhh.png?1

Alec is safely parked on a forest tile, and gains a +1 MHP, +1 Str on the defense. Fin gets a more impressive +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def on the same turn. I didn't get screenshots of either because I'm bad at LPs.

fkkIPkS.png?1xzw7JLn.png?1

Things largely go pretty okay, the only real issue being Alec taking a hit from a hunter's arrow. He should be fine, though.

eNqczpw.png?1yaT1sTb.png?1

Our death fast approaches, on both ends of the map.

4rfAQvf.png?1

Everyone gets to slaughtering the foolish, mediocre bandits in our way.

N6mmxpj.png?1

Some of us with far more class than others.

JfYy0bq.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Str. Far more effectively, too, at that.

egaurdt.png?1

Cuan continues to waffle around with +1 MHP, +1 Skl. At this rate I'm not sure he's reaching Level 20.

5tJhrVd.png?1

Tell me if you can see the gaping whole in my defenses here.

d4VBP8s.png?1

If your guess was "Midayle is in range of Kinbois", you're right on the money. Against all odds, though, he survived.

XCZ9Cdu.png?1

Enemy phase was otherwise uneventful, at least.

EQZ4gUr.png?1

Ethlin and Sigurd set him up for Lex to kill, giving Ethlin +1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Mgc in the process.

E7s4B11.png?1

Lex kind of fucks up his part of the whole thing, though.

YuaWBNk.png?1

I give the kill to Azel instead. He can sell the Hand Axe for cash, at least.

dnQapDa.png?1

+1 MHP. Totally worth it.

I7xRPXg.png?1

Not that Arden does much better, with +1 MHP.

dQFGqJj.png?1

Checking in on our little escaping jailbirds, I'm letting Dew hang ever-so-slightly back to stop them from hurting Adean. I think he'll be fine so long as we get to him fast enough.

dsLoE0C.png?1

They're still too far behind to attack him yet.

OWnP7fI.png?1

The remaining enemies around Sigurd's group are mostly hunters, and for whatever reason they all target Midayle. Hey, if it gives him an enemy phase, I'm not complaining.

OmuP6sc.png?1oq0VUJq.png?1

We clear them out with a series of unnecessary crits.

vv1tM8S.png?1NdlbGYw.png?1

We're closing the gap between our two parties, just in time for Gandolf's mooks to reach us.

mUHeyrm.png?1

Dew does an okay job staying alive, at least, but having him all alone makes me antsy.

Vu2wLXc.png?1

This bandit's been smashing this villages to pieces for a couple turns, just to incentivize the player to move a bit faster.

reUvRe4.png?1l4zAQol.png?1

Adean and Ethlin have their little chat, giving Ethlin the Return staff.

F0VDT3g.png?1

The staff hasn't changed at all, and is still absolutely necessary to cut down on backtracking. This is a kinder fate than the other warping staves received.

QvhKgNo.png?1

I don't know why I have such bad luck when it comes to thieves actually dodging anything.

ehwo11i.png?1

At least he got the cash.

tk7nsEK.png?1

Let's patch the poor kid up and let him try again. With backup this time.

N4e6VSZ.png?1

He's got so much cash on him now.

UUzJ4pO.png?1u3I2Rkr.png?1

Sigurd continues on the path to strength screwage with +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Def, +1 Mdf. You're lucky your base Strength is so high.

fcB54ou.png?1oUUhAMJ.png?1

Trying to feed the infantry so they don't fall behind.

4gtKsGf.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Def. Some Strength would've been nice.

3R3qDtY.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Def. I mean, if Midayle can get better levels than you, you've got a problem.

dEMKd4v.png?1

Let's give Fin the last kill. Maybe he'll impress us.

XCe3ZMd.png?1

Yet another +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def. I guess I was wrong to worry about you.

vFHzgOA.png?1

Most everyone will be heading for Marpha, waiting just outside the enemy range.

ObHuLIH.png?1vHugP5h.png?1

And after dealing with the raider and patching everyone up, for +1 Def, +1 Mdf and +1 Mdf, respectively...

NhMzqsp.png?1

We've got almost everyone waiting to attack Marpha;

YQuEgq7.png?1

Sigurd and Alec, meanwhile, are on a secret stealth mission; Alec will lead the easily distracted guards away, while Sigurd save Ira's niece Shannon nephew Shanan before she reduces Alec to a pulpy mess across the forest floor.

TDIwTuU.png?138N2wFK.png?1

Ira has been nerfed just a smidge, losing a point of Strength and Defense, as well as Pursuit. Astra mechanics have also been modified, dealing 75% damage on each hit, but allowing Sol or Luna to activate on individual hits. Sol and Luna can also activate with each other, and you could even theoretically have all three activate together, though setting that up is... difficult, to say the least. Ultimately, these nerfs change little, and she's just as deadly as always, especially with her new sword;

yUbMOdw.png?1

This here is the Killing Edge. Binary adds Killer weapons to the weapon types that didn't have them already, and instead of providing the Critical skill, they just give a big bonus to your crit chance. They're all pretty expensive to fix up, though, so Ira will need something else once she's on our side.

This sword is why using Alec to bait Ira is riskier than it once was; since Awareness no longer blocks critical hits, she's got a worryingly high chance of destroying him. As long as he doesn't kill the fighters, though, he hopefully won't have to deal with her at all.

SiuS4wg.png?1

The fighters she's with aren't terribly impressive. This one here is guarding the castle, and is the strongest of the bunch. Sigurd won't have any trouble with him, but it means Alec might end up killing them accidentally and exposing himself to Ira.

U7XG5DI.png?1

First we've got to set up the bait, while Sigurd watches from a safe distance.

7g16UXw.png?1

Things go according to plan.

V2DcnzO.png?1

Since Ira always moves last, Alec can form a protective shield of people trying to kill him to guard himself against the angry crit machine.

yBFZ6Yp.png?1conm9tQ.png?1

Now we've just gotta have Alec slip further into the trees, while Sigurd goes around the castle to capture it.

o9RSupg.png?1

Alec gets +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Def from fighting the guards. A little more survivability is always nice.

raeTyzb.png?1

Things largely go as I wanted, but one of the fighters goes for Sigurd instead of Alec. That's okay, though, Alec really only needs two of them to keep Ira at bay.

E85ytXP.png?1

This guy won't survive more than a couple rounds with our pony lord here.

l991JHR.png?1

He'll be dead by enemy phase.

Dcz5TeG.png?1

Won't lie, this scared me a little until I remembered she moves last and won't get the chance to tango with him.

ouK6NPy.png?1

On his turn, the fighter commits suicide by Sigurd.

wERSBeY.png?1

Now just move Alec far away enough that Ira isn't a problem anymore...

cR1zMVH.png?1

... and sieze Genoa, making the fighters instantly disappear.

mpKuio4.png?1

We've saved Shannon Shanan and are now ready to talk to Ira and get a totally kickass myrmidon on our side.

dLGHqBI.png?1

Next time, we'll have Lex earn a very deadly axe and see the incredibly touching love story of Sigurd and a random forest woman.

While he was baiting Ayra, I'm sure Alec reflected he was wearing his diaper on the wrong end.

If Jamka's change is what I think it is, I approve. I always found it strange that a prince of the Bandited Kingdom was an archer.

Edited by Tricky Drick

Could you in the future show all of the arena opponents? Or at least the more interesting ones. From what I remember, they are not only different but there are also some cameos from Mystery of the Emblem. At least I think there are. Not like I can actually read their names.

whenbananasattack, I just wanted to say that read the full Partia 2 LP the other day and I really enjoyed it, so I've been looking forward to this, and also I wish you the best of luck.

I never noticed this and now it's all I can see, I hope you're happy!

Maybe I just watch too much older anime to ignore it, because banana faces were very much in vogue back in the 90s. A man couldn't be called a man if his chin wasn't sharp enough to double as a can opener.

Sigurd, you dumbass!

Couldn't that basically be First Gen's tagline?

While he was baiting Ayra, I'm sure Alec reflected he was wearing his diaper on the wrong end.

If Jamka's change is what I think it is, I approve. I always found it strange that a prince of the Bandited Kingdom was an archer.

Now now, he wasn't an "Archer" he was a far more cleverly named "Bow Fighter". They're totally not the same thing!

Could you in the future show all of the arena opponents? Or at least the more interesting ones. From what I remember, they are not only different but there are also some cameos from Mystery of the Emblem. At least I think there are. Not like I can actually read their names.

I intended to include them the first time around, but cut them for space. I've got them all in this next update, and I'll include future arena opponents in the first update of the chapter after this. Sorry about that!

The cameos are almost all at the end of the game anyway, but nevermind that.

whenbananasattack, I just wanted to say that read the full Partia 2 LP the other day and I really enjoyed it, so I've been looking forward to this, and also I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks, I enjoyed making it! Admittedly I'm having an easier time LPing this hack that I did Partia 2 (since porting and editing images from my phone to my laptop was incredibly annoying and inconvenient), so hopefully we won't have any massive schedule slips this time around, either!

We've saved Adean and stopped Ira from hideously slaughtering us all, so let's keep trudging through the forest, help Sigurd find love, and get Lex a weapon that's truly to die for!

Chapter 1 Part 2: Girl of the Chokepoint Forest

vcWjZwG.png?1

Since Genoa is ours now, Dew now has permission to give Adean the utterly invaluable Warp Staff.

Zhhggdz.png?1

It hasn't changed in terms of function, but has lost 2 uses for whatever reason. It's not really a serious nerf to its usefulness, but does make it a bit more annoying to use at times.

Q2s4ohW.png?1

I was a little concerned that Ira's AI would fuck up and chase Alec again, but thankfully she's heading straight for Genoa so Sigurd can recruit her.

KbjjNsB.png?1

Also, Elliot takes this as his cue to attack Evans castle for... some reason, I forget why. Whatever shall we do?

uEYGkjT.png?1

The answer is "ignore that punk and get ourselves a very scary sword fighter". Welcome to the team, lady!

H1Jx9IL.png?1

I'll have them rejoin the rest of our little band, who are still waiting just outside Marpha for our inevitable invasion.

Ie9hnJq.png?1

Eltshan then shows up to kick Elliot's ass back to Heirhein.

qVGaFfV.png?1

Honestly, the Cross Knights just utterly embarrass Elliot's forces here. I think they may have actually gotten stronger, which certainly bodes well for later.

DktJdre.png?1

One interesting change is to Eltshan's sword, the Mystletainn. Instead of giving him the (largely redundant now) Critical skill, it has a life-draining effect. Given how severely he outclasses everything here, this just makes him even more undefeatable.

rpQBU4B.png?1YXjxVaQ.png?1

By next turn, Elliot's entire army is crushed, and Elliot himself is sent running home with his tail between his legs.

5zk8OGd.png?1

Which is a perfect way to bring us back to Sigurd's little party here, who've formed the Utterly Unnecessary Wall in order to lure Gandolf's forces away from Marpha.

2TqN1mf.png?1

Unsurprisingly, Dew is the first one targeted. I know it probably counts as child endangerment, but if you don't struggle, you don't improve!

o4kpBEe.png?1

SNES FE games had AI that wasn't so desperate to avoid counterattacks at all costs, resulting in a lot of hunters engineering their own demise with Azel's fireballs.

K2YH9IU.png?1

Let's give Ira her first taste of combat now that she's on our side. I've found it's a great way to bond with new friends.

P07dBeq.png?1

She's got a new, oddly blue-ish palette as opposed to her purple one from the base game. I believe she's the first of our units with a new palette, but she won't be the last.

DoxoXxk.png?1

Azel gets an utterly fantastic level, with +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Mgc, +1 Luk, +1 Def. I feel like I'm playing Awakening all over again.

6P1uIbW.png?1

I'm trying to feed kills to Dew here and there, but when he only does a pitiful 2 damage to most opponents (4 if he doubles), he makes it kind of difficult.

CfgAS0m.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Spd. I don't know why I bother leveling you up, to be frank.

G4SmRxT.png?1

Enemy phase largely consists of people trying to take bites out of Dew. Like I said, I've got to recklessly risk his fragile little life if I want him to ever be any good.

cPsEqAx.png?1

Despite being a dodgy myrmidon kind of gal, Ira sure seems to take a lot of hits. I guess that's just the RNG's way of telling me it loves me.

zztKWW1.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Luk. It looks like Dew will have to wait for a magic sword before he can deal any real damage.

ccz9Npk.png?1

Since Azel has been doing pretty spectacularly, I let him have the last of Gandolf's men.

Kk6jSwJ.png?1

Adean starts her leveling career off all wrong with absolutely nothing. Please don't break my heart like this, Adean.

3tdHtuO.png?1

We've now massed ourselves around Marpha castle, ready to throw down with Gandolf the Green.

YOFmfWq.png?19kqPL4r.png?1

Gandolf's become quite a scary dude in FEBinary, receiving buffs to most of his stats and, more notably, gaining both Continue and Critical. This makes that Hand Axe a deadly weapon in his hands, allowing him to chuck it several times and having a worryingly high chance to critical someone to death when he does.

HPUBc1Q.png?1

Of course, none of that really matters if Ethlin gets a sibling crit on him with her Lady Sword.

t6u46dP.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Luk. Ethlin suddenly seems intent on dashing my dreams of a murder-troubadour. You can't rely on the Lady Sword forever, y'know!

dXWKaRC.png?1

Anywho, let's seize Marpha so we can continue on our merry way through the Forest of Tedium.

nVMAoki.png?1YCviJnu.png?1

Sigurd meets Diadora and immediately falls in love for no apparent reason. She proceeds to dye her hair red, put on green clothes, and flee the scene as fast as humanly possible. She'll probably have to change her cell number after this, too.

YPwdSK1.png?1

Two down, one to go!

NU8jqiu.png?1sMqtYyH.png?1

King Batou is sick of Jamke's freeloading, and kicks him out of the house until he earns his keep by putting an arrow through a certain pony lord's eye.

USwuZlY.png?1

Let's not worry about him, though, we've got some weapon repairs to take care of.

s98zvy4.png?1

I send our new recruits (aside from Adean) through the Arena to see how far they can get, as well as letting the people who didn't make it last time have another go. Here's how everyone did;

ARENA COMPLETION- Ethlin *, Ira *, Dew 3, Alec 5, Noish 6, Lex 7, Midayle 5, Arden 6

ARENA LEVELS-

Ethlin: 1 level- +1 Spd

While speed is a very nice stat for you to get, it would be nice if you'd get something else, too.

Ira: 2 levels- +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +2 Str, +1 Luk

Huh, she got more strength than skill in this. If this keeps up I might have to change some of my plans for later.

WuaOnaL.png?1

Since I failed to show off the arena the first time, let's do so now with Ira's help. The first opponent is still a mere brigand, and is easily dispatched.

JYDVGN1.png?1

The second is a Mage wielding a Fire tome, and is possibly even weaker.

NcDBOFB.png?1

The third opponent is a wonderfully purple Lance Knight, who actually nearly beat Ira here, and stopped Dew from progressing any further.

kFy2wTf.png?1

It's the fourth enemy where we see our first real change; instead of a swordsman, he's a dismounted version of the cavalier class. Yes, I realize I haven't explained dismounting yet because I'm a fucking idiot, I promise it's coming later.

I didn't get a picture of his ranged counterpart, but it's the same generic hunter that appears in the original game. This guy's the only melee opponent who doesn't also appear in the ranged version of the arena this chapter.

75u2YVB.png?1

Next up is an Armor (Not an Axe Armor, since there's only one "Armor" class now) wielding a Steel Axe, who caused a lot of grief for a lot of people.

3Qv5Wg0.png?1

The opponent here has also changed, going from a male Wind Mage wielding Elwind to a female Mage wielding Wind. Binary removed the "elemental" mages, so the class change makes sense, and I suppose the weapon downgrade is an unfortunate side effect of that. She's still quite an obstacle, though.

15nVs4N.png?1

The last fighter is still the same asshole General who's still borderline unkillable for a lot of folks. Ira manages, though.

Hz6Zjjg.png?1

We've got that over with now, so let's head into the woods to recruit ourselves a barbarian prince and a mystical shaman!

6T9NE09.png?1

Much like in the original, this part of the chapter's something of a clusterfuck. Binary adds a new trick in the player's arsenal that makes it a tad more manageable, though, which you'll see shortly.

0sNptFl.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Luk, +1 Def. Luck isn't exactly a surprise, but Defense?

fTKawCO.png?1

We're ready to greet Jamke's axesquad. Let's take a look at the man himself before he joins our merry band.

h87jJii.png?1kFfE7jE.png?1

Jamke's class has been changed from "Bow Fighter" to "Hunter", and unfortunately, this change is mostly a negative one for him. He lost a whopping 6 Skill and 3 Speed, and the Pursuit skill on top of that; the only gain is a measly +1 to Resistance in exchange. There is one sort of positive change, but it'll have to wait until promotion time. He's still a "shoot a million arrows until they die" kind of guy, and he's still a decent enough father, but this is a pretty harsh nerf all the same.

jz5xHGH.png?1

The Killer Bow has been changed, becoming heavier and having lower base damage and hit, but giving a +20 to critical hits instead of just the Critical skill. Given the changes to critical hit mechanics, this is a fair trade off, and it's still a great weapon regardless.

3KsCVuZ.png?1

Keep on getting that sweet, delicious coin, my dear Dew. Maybe you'll reach level 20 by Chapter 5 at this rate!

aSVCb8w.png?1

So, who here saw my formation and realized I didn't really think this all the way through?

3mX1NjI.png?1

Thankfully, a single arrow is all he fires. Ira continues to get hit by everything that comes her way, of course, but it could've been a lot worse.

672IKTb.png?1

+1 Skl, +1 Luk. Y'know, Dew, we're gonna need babysitters for the kiddos sooner or later, and I think you'll be just right for that job instead of this one if things keep going the way they are.

74xR6uw.png?1

Cuan, I know you're facing WTD right now, but I'd appreciate if you dodged something this chapter.

zJAVhwt.png?1

I probably should've set this up better. It's an absolute mess right now, and Adean is too far away to recruit Jamke.

sCn5MtV.png?19PZJeDx.png?1

I suppose it isn't all bad, though; we're getting some needed experience and gold, and so far no one has died horribly.

hHgRlmf.png?1

Are you serious, Ira?

xF8Vm5T.png?1

+1 Skl, +1 Mdf. Don't take this kind of attitude with me, missy!

Dvb5pxu.png?1

Jamke proceeds to scare the shit out of me by targeting our thief friend here. Once again, a conspicuous lack of Continue or Charge makes it all okay.

0NOXIX9.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Def. Thanks, Azel, I really needed levels that aren't horrendously depressing right about now.

7XMlhnN.png?1CBk2de1.png?1

I never thought I'd see the day where Arden is performing more competently than Ira, but here we are!

cGvwTRj.png?1

Alright, as long as Jamke doesn't fucking move, we'll have him next turn.

iqncpik.png?1

I swear to Christ, Ira! At least get a good level out of this!

Meybcdd.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Spd. THANK YOU!

dHCDTJB.png?1

Since Jamke decided to stay up, we're ready to pick him up. I'm sure there was an easier way to do this, yes, but it was funnier this way!

0t2Jup9.png?1

With that out of the way, let's go somewhere we probably shouldn't! Binary gives most classes the ability to walk through "Thicket/Deep Forest" tiles, albeit with massive movement penalties, but it makes moving units through this part of the map far less annoying, as well as allowing for some fun strategies in certain fights.

One thing to note is that it's perfectly possible to skip recruiting Jamke and Diadora by just passing straight through these previously impassable tiles; the game didn't bother putting borders here to keep you out, so you can just waltz straight up to Verdane without seeing either of them. In the former case, all you're missing out on is a fairly decent unit, but the latter case causes some seriously crazy bugs when Gen 2 comes around, so I'd recommend not doing that unless you want to see the insanity yourself.

ZwjaCeJ.png?1

Having joined our side at last, Jamke immediately turns on his countrymen and fills them with arrows. It's a bit like letting Sheema kill her own countrymen just to level her up.

LdKaCRa.png?1

Sigurd heard that I wanted some Strength out of him, and gave me +1 MHP, +1 Str just to spite me.

DKGWwpJ.png?1

Diadora turns up out of nowhere to proclaim her undying love for a man she encountered once and exchanged maybe five sentences with. They're immediately S Ranked married right there on the spot.

Interesting that this event triggers even though Sigurd's in a place he's not supposed to be. From what I've seen, you have to be very far away from that little clearing to avoid her.

87hQgPX.png?17wPK6s3.png?1

Diadora's stats have been raised in several places (+3 Magic and +1 Speed being the most important areas), and she's gained an A in staves instead of a B. Shamans have also been given access to Dark magic, but there's no available tomes for that in Gen 1, so it doesn't mean much for her. The fact that double attacks are no longer tied to Pursuit alone makes her a far more viable combat unit than before, especially since Aura is no longer stupidly heavy (it now has 9 weight, down from a ridiculous 20), and the changes to Prayer mean a lot for her, too, making that Circlet an even better item than it already was. She still leaves eventually, but at least while she's here she's actually contributing instead of being a massive liability.

fk650tX.png?185hw5FZ.png?1

We take care of the last bandits, earning Lex an excellent +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def, and Midayle a decent +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Def.

y25mjgK.png?1

Adean, meanwhile, gains only a paltry +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Luk from patching everyone up. You're really letting me down here, darling.

MMVXGrH.png?1

We're gonna skip all the tedious shuffling through the forest and skip straight to everyone waiting near Verdane. All but one, anyway...

k5P2831.png?1

Because Lex has to attend a farcical aquatic ceremony, all to gain a truly lethal weapon.

Z9yaMPn.png?1

Well, you certainly aren't some weird waterlogged lady that looks exactly like the queen of Silesse!

Please remember this beautiful man's face, we'll be seeing him again later. Tremble in fear at his slightly ugly Mystery of the Emblem artstyle, and how it clashes with everything around him!

6U3rnLG.png?1

So, after all that, do we recieve the fabled Hero Axe like in the original?

zbNCsnI.png?1

Of course we don't! Instead, we get the much nastier Devil Axe. While 25 damage is on par with all the Holy Weapons, the extreme weight, low hit rate, low uses, potential to damage yourself, and the inability to use it in the Arena all make it a wildly impractical weapon at the best of times. I suppose I'll keep it around, though, just in case I find something that really needs all that damage.

mszekEE.png?1

The next update'll be a short one, so check in next time to see us conquer Verdane and finally escape this forested hellhole once and for all!

Edited by whenbananasattack

I could swear that the hack had Elthshan accompanied by Lachesis' suicide squad.

As far as I know, their role is still limited to "protecting" Lachesis in Chapter 2 and then fucking off forever. It would've made sense to have them show up at some other point like this one, but who can say what went on in the mind of whoever made this?

We have but a handful of foes between us and leaving Verdane behind for more civilized lands, so let's get it over with and get the Holy War rolling in earnest!

Chapter 1 Part 3: Sandima shows his true colors

8ugjTwK.png?1

Let's get back in the action with Midayle and Adean having a heart-to-heart chat. Midayle's not usually my first choice for Adean (that honor goes to Jamke), but the bow this pairing gives alone makes it fairly worthwhile, and Midayle's been coming along nicely so far, so Adean can have her little Bow Knight at her side for the doubtlessly long years ahead.

As for other potential pairings, Jamke's a great choice thanks to the new double attack mechanics, Claude and Azel (the latter in particular) are a great way to power up Lana without totally crippling Lester thanks to his newfound access to the magic swords, and C Swords in general allows fathers like Beowulf and Dew to pass something down to the poor kid. Arden being able to pass down Great Shield makes him an amusing and decent pairing, too, but generally there's better choices.

jVAYfRY.png?1

Enough yammering about my bizarre eugenics plans, though, we've got an army to lure out. Diadora will take point, since her Circlet gives her Prayer and all.

MMwnSQO.png?1

Oddly, Sandima (and dark mages in general) has a purple palette now instead of a green one. I approve of this change, even if it clashes with his portrait.

Q0t4QFL.png?1

I was a little worried at first, but Diadora is actually able to dodge now that Aura isn't obnoxiously heavy, and does so right here. I suppose he couldn't hurt her too bad, anyway, with all that Resistance she's got.

3QzfODs.png?1

The guys surrounding Verdane all immediately abandon their posts to deal with the strange lady who their boss took a shot at just now. Surely, they can't be that threatening, though, right?

kfUzWlN.png?1nfoeg26.png?1

For most of them, you'd be right, but not for this asshole here. Binary adds a new (to FE4, anyway) class to the game, the Berserker, and my does this new class assignment make this guy terrifying. With a +20 bonus to critical hits, Wrath, and a Hand Axe, he can utterly demolish one of your units with minimal effort if you let him get the drop on you. Taking him out should usually be top priority.

HfUBfuy.png?1

Since he's so obligingly moved into range, it's only fair I let my own crit machine take care of him.

eM6O2Ty.png?1

She's not quite fast enough to double him, but she lands an incredibly strong hit on him regardless.

jx9lLkL.png?1

Jamke finishes him off with a lucky Continue activation.

YwoSe5v.png?1

We should really take care of Sandima before we do anything else, though.

kB8uivH.png?1

Shut up for a minute, the adults are talking. With weapons.

6xF0lcX.png?1

+1 Skl, +1 Mgc. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

0iwpMRR.png?1

We continue the assault on Sandima's underlings while he mutely twiddles his thumbs, waiting for death.

gGarjge.png?1

+1 Str. Not your best, Fin, not your best at all.

mSRezsB.png?1

I've already had Dew offload all his savings onto Adean, so it's time to start building those funds back up.

Humorously enough, Dew is actually critting here... which, thanks to crit mechanics being changed (triple damage instead of double might), results in a whopping three damage.

A2huZ9M.png?1

An airtight formation this is not, but it'll do.

zQ1wCLk.png?1

Yet another critical hit! At this rate, you might kill him in seven turns!

6aESC0G.png?15OYirz4.png?1

A lot of people are out for Jamke's blood, some of whom are wiser to pick on him than others.

Feua3uS.png?1

A lot of idiots want a piece of Diadora, too. She puts them in their places.

cGPUwoa.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Str. Arden continues to be Arden.

zOzt9Cb.png?1

These guys aren't super threatening without their Berserker friend to back them up.

2iP17rx.png?1

The Ira I know and love returns to us after a string of bad levels, with +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def. That's some good shit right there.

MWReua2.png?1

Against all odds, Dew manages to kill something. Mainly because I fed it to him, but when you're dealing like 2 damage per hit you've gotta take what you can get.

a5N1gl7.png?1

+1 Skl, +1 Spd. It looks like it's gonna stay that way for the forseeable future, too.

hBPYJ50.png?1

Since Ethlin will no longer be such a killing machine next chapter when we start facing enemies other than bandits and hunters, I let her bask in her badassery while she still can.

XQLXJmq.png?1

This was a well thought out plan of attack, and I regret nothing.

11SkGNX.png?1PTNPohK.png?1

When their turn comes around, enemies largely continue to target the usual suspects.

46BVBP1.png?1

Even when it's very clearly a bad idea.

9G7Vm7t.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Str. Things like this are why you're dying childless and unloved this time, Jamke.

JIqiG2G.png?1

The final enemy aside from the boss is burned to ash by holy light. I'm glad Diadora doesn't suck anymore.

XCxdLmT.png?1

All that's left to do is check out the boss and take him down.

hnEcbZB.png?1nbKJ5Ng.png?1

I suppose looking at his stats is somewhat irrelevant now that he's a sitting duck. Nonetheless, he's been buffed like the other bosses, with more Magic, Speed, Defense, and Resistance, and a nonzero luck stat to boot! He's also got Continue, to make taking him down without Silence even more dangerous.

Wq3RabI.png?1

Since he's been neutered, though, let's just rob him blind instead.

ug0fQbn.png?1

We've only got one more turn of Silence left, and it's a super-expensive staff to repair, so I'd rather not use it again. Let's try and kill him this turn.

DBN20Dw.png?1IDkrFRe.png?1

It took quite a bit of setup (and a +1 Skl, +1 Str level from Ethlin- truly, she is a Baldo kind of lady), but we've got him right where we want him now.

yPdBvS0.png?1

I wanted Azel to nab the ring, but he muffed it, so Diadora gets it instead.

1Wifj6G.png?1

+1 Spd, +1 Mdf. I don't think I've ever seen Diadora gain a point of Speed before.

xNSOFmV.png?1

I think we've got a new boss killer.

ViCaFyF.png?16dcNXEw.png?1

Now that that's over with, I have the staffbots send Jamke and Diadora back to the home castle to fight through the Arena. Every point of experience counts!

8hp13oF.png?1HguOS5v.png?1

They proceed to conquer it with much style and glamour. Jamke had trouble getting past the wind-wielder, but he made it eventually.

ARENA COMPLETION- Diadora *, Jamke *

ARENA LEVELS-

Diadora: 2 levels- +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +2 Mgc, +1 Mdf

How utterly expected.

Jamke: 2 levels- +1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def

I guess it could be worse, but it could also be a lot better.

r3duRt2.png?1

I also had Ethlin send Adean home to patch Jamke up after a little mishap, giving her +1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Luk.

tTkK48n.png?1

She also grabs all the villages.

XnSnuJz.png?1

Verdane is conquered at last, and we can set our sights on far more backtracking-laden territories.

Poq7OgM.png?1

That certain took me a while.

Next time, Lachesis is ordered by her brother to protect three utterly incompetent knights, and Adean gets everything she needs to be the deadliest priest in the world.

Can I be forgiven for a double post, and more importantly, can I ever forgive myself?

Probably.

Either way, we've got a chapter to get started!

Chapter 2 Part 1: Extreme Sports in Agustria

GQJvJMV.png?1

We've escaped from the Axe Fighter Woods and met a weird forest hermit that Sigurd became instantly smitten with. Now we arrive in a land of obnoxious backtracking, annoying side objectives, and just generally forcing Sigurd to leave everyone else behind and dash like a madman for Heirhein and Anphony. FEBinary at least cuts down on some of the annoyances, though, as well as making infantry units not entirely pointless this chapter.

Let's cut to Evans castle, where nothing exciting will ever happen, ever again.

L885PvR.png?1G2GoS86.png?1

Well, it wouldn't if it wasn't for Elliot's incredibly fragile masculinity being wounded and his schoolboy crush not being reciprocated. It's okay, though, Eltshan left the world's most inept knights to defend his sister while he's busy being held captive, so I'm sure she'll be fine.

AK6AYeu.png?1

We've got a lot to cover before we even see the field of battle, though, so let's get to it!

0dKSV0p.png?1

The economy of Evans castle is doing a lot better these days, as evidenced by all the new equipment for sale. The Steel Blade goes to Ira, the Thunder tome to Azel, the Light tome to Adean, and the Steel Bow to Jamke, who trades his Killer Bow to Midayle. Normally I'd let Midayle have the Steel one, but he's been doing well enough I think he deserves an upgrade.

nPa7LZF.png?1

Lex is the one who ultimately recruits Holyn, as out of everyone who made it that far he seemed like the one least likely to beat Keimos. A lot has changed for our Luna-happy swordsman;

HbhrQXw.png?10hax99p.png?1

Namely, he's no longer just a swordsman; his new class assignment is "Free Fighter", which has equal access to swords and axes (though Odo blood gives Holyn a higher Sword rank anyway), and is slower but beefier than the generic swordfighter class. He's lost Pursuit much like Ira, as well as a few points of Skill and Speed, but the addition of an axe rank gives him a lot of nice options, so it's a fair trade.

Luna has changed a bit since vanilla FE4. It now only halves defense instead of totally negating it, but the bright side is that it can now activate alongside Astra and Sol. If you're wondering how any of our units could possibly have both Sol and Luna, given that the two units who provide it are both men... well, that's something we'll save for later!

3zSelm2.png?1

As for the arena opponents, they're not too different, really. Here's Adean utterly destroying the first opponent and his new Thracia sprite.

mazlDCi.png?1NyeExJe.png?1

Yet another green-haired purple-robed mage followed by a purple lance knight? A little variety would be nice, FEBinary.

VkDS1El.png?1qL4qaog.png?1

I don't think Barknin and Millet are any different, either. You guys are making it really hard to say anything interesting about the Arena!

VtERebQ.png?1

This guy was a bitch for some of my fighters to get through. Diadora has an easy time, though.

k2EC41q.png?1

This guy's actually different, finally. He's gone from Thunder Mage to... Mage Fighter, I think? He certainly has the sprite for it.

vHgPVJn.png?1

Keimos is a scary guy now that he can crit, but most of my people get through.

0qWGcQG.png?1

Marilyn has been replaced by some dismounted Bow Knight, who's not really all that different in the end. I'm not sure why that change was made.

With all that over and done, let's see how everyone did getting through the Arena. Some of the results may surprise you:

ARENA COMPLETION- Sigurd *, Diadora *, Cuan 7, Ethlin *, Arden 6, Noish 5, Alec 5, Fin *, Lex *, Azel *, Adean *, Midayle *, Holyn *, Ira *, Jamke *, Dew *

ARENA LEVELS-

Sigurd: 2 levels- +2 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Luk, +2 Def

The strength curse is lifted at last. Maybe he'll actually cap it, even!

Diadora: 2 levels- +2 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Mgc, +1 Def, +1 Mdf

More speed AND a point of defense? I'm pretty sure you've got a 10% in each, so good job not letting that handicap get you down!

Cuan: 2 levels- +1 MHP, +2 Spd, +1 Def

You didn't make it past Keimos, but at least your time in the Arena wasn't a total loss.

Ethlin: 2 levels- +1 MHP, +2 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Def

Keeping the dream of a murder troubadour alive, but only barely.

Arden: 2 levels- +1 MHP , +1 Str, +1 Def

Moving on.

Noish: 2 levels- +2 MHP, +2 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Def

We're finally getting some strength on you, but now you've got like 2 points more than Alec, and the exact same defense. So much for red cavaliers.

Alec: 2 levels- +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Luk, +1 Def

Not that Alec's doing so great at his supposed specialization, either. He's the better cav at the moment, but only barely.

Fin: 2 levels- +1 Spd, +1 Luk

:|

Lex: 4 levels- +3 MHP, +2 Skl, +2 Def

It seems the speed blessing is drawing to a close, but at least he's still getting tankier.

Azel: 3 levels- +1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Mgc

You were doing so well before, don't hurt me like this my child.

Adean: 3 levels- +2 MHP, +2 Skl, +1 Spd, +2 Mgc, +2 Luk, +1 Mdf

Nice to see my fears that you'd end up sucking were unwarranted.

Midayle: 3 levels- +3 MHP, + 2 Spd, +2 Def

I'm a little concerned about that strength stat of yours, but otherwise keep up the good work!

Ira: 3 levels- +1 MHP, +2 Skl, +1 Str, +2 Spd, +1 Luk

No surprises here.

Jamke: 3 levels- +2 MHP, +2 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def

Jamke tries to appease me and convince me to pair Adean with him instead, but it's already been decided by forces far greater than either of us.

Dew: 4 levels- +2 MHP, +1 Skl, +3 Str, +1 Spd, +3 Luk, +2 Def, +2 Mdf

I'm glad you're finally using that 40% strength growth for something.

Holyn: 2 levels- +1 MHP, +2 Skl, + 2 Str, +1 Spd

I'm glad you started your levels off right, unlike some people.

znOQ5LK.png?1

If you're wondering how the fuck Dew managed to get through the Arena, I used a glitch to let him hold the Lady Sword. I recognize that probably counts as cheating, but I was getting kind of fed up with his worthlessness. I promise he'll hand it over to a lady of proper stature and poise soon enough.

c5h31nd.png?1

Maybe it's time to actually set forth for Nodoin. Thankfully, much like raising a child to adulthood, Arena fighting takes no time at all!

BGcUaBx.png?1

Since Ethlin's lost her lady sword to an unladylike thief, Diadora offers a replacement.

ncR3fSH.png?1

Its Might has been dropped, and it's quite a bit heavier than before, but it's still very useful. It also now provides the Life skill, presumably in reference to its ability to heal Leaf in Thracia 776.

rpdBF4N.png?1RLW77YD.png?1

Here we see FEBinary's dedication to class diversity among the enemy ranks; Elliot picked up some Axe Knights and Troubadours to supplement all those lances, Philip fired some of his Armors and replaced them with Mages, and the guys who start raiding villages are now a mix of Bandits and Swordfighters instead of just Bandits. Given how obsessed vanilla FE4 was with making all the troops in a single group more or less identical half the time, this is a welcome change.

NLHYC3z.png?1

As always happens in Chapter 2, Sigurd and Cuan are ahead of the other mounted units, who are miles ahead of everyone else, who will spend at least half the chapter struggling to catch up. Binary gives them a few new tricks to make it so they aren't totally useless, at least, but we'll have to wait to see those.

6yOgGEy.png?1

The terrible trio defending Nodoin are already in range of Elliot's goons.

17uJ8ff.png?1ovOXaxH.png?1

The three of them have been buffed a little, but are still a huge liability. You pretty much have to leave Lachesis behind at Nodoin to keep them safe, at least until you conquer Anphony. If you have a lot of patience, though, there's a way to get them out of your way for the march on the last two castles, but not a moment before.

3pPQZwj.png?1N25T25Z.png?1

That's a shame, too, as Lachesis still starts out pretty underleveled and in need of training. She got a single point of Strength and Skill for her trouble, at least. She's still very useful thanks to her promotion and blood, not to mention her new sword;

B99EuHc.png?1

Lachesis starts with a Rapier in her inventory instead of a Prayer Sword. The weapon has low damage, but its effectiveness makes it a deadly weapon even in the rather weak hands of Lachesis. It has rather... unusual equipment requirements, being locked to Social Knights, Paladins, Mage Knights, Troubadours, Lord Knights, Master Knights, and the Prince/Princess class. It's a seemingly arbitrary set of classes to restrict it to, but who cares, it's a great sword anyway.

3eh5QNd.png?1

Just seeing these three in any kind of combat scenario makes me antsy. I want my Knight Ring, and you fuckers aren't taking it from me with your ineptitude!

cmCNYaV.png?1

One of the axe knights takes a shot at Lachesis, but thankfully misses.

tdn4wLO.png?1

Elliot himself is fast approaching, ready to give us a bad time.

u75NpOx.png?1icCqgWo.png?1

Elliot's toting a pair of Killer weapons, and now holds the Charge skill to give himself more chances to crit. He's not all that threatening to us, but for the Cross Knights he can cause a lot of grief.

x27jWCL.png?1

Luckily, we're almost there, so he hopefully won't get a chance to brutalize anyone horribly.

fb9YkUN.png?1hDuxNBM.png?1

The one Cross Knight in range of anybody (Eve, I think?) kills one of the knights before enemy phase.

om9YISn.png?1I73BS68.png?1

They even manage to kill a few more on Elliot's turn, though the troubadours mitigate how much damage actually gets done.

eQv8beh.png?1

Sadly, Elliot decides to demonstrate how his Killer weapons aren't just for show, bringing one paladin dangerously near death. Figures.

r1UPne6.png?1

I really need him dead before he causes more trouble. Thankfully, Sigurd can kill him in 2 hits.

nkVcyJQ.png?1

Elliot can bitch about how Lachesis doesn't want his dick in the afterlife.

NK6fhvJ.png?1

Sigurd'll hold onto this little gem for a while, I suppose. I want Fin to nab it eventually, though.

sLUW23R.png?1g0HlBm0.png?1

The cavaliers who aren't Sigurd spend their time cleaning up Elliot's troops.

rGd8ioy.png?1

We don't quite get them all, though, which made me anxious given the low health of the middle Cross Knight.

A1PXRhl.png?1

He does survive, but largely thanks to the scatterbrained attack patterns of the remnants of Elliot's army more than anything. Only one knight even gets a shot at him.

cTXvmj1.png?1OJaBHuA.png?1

They're all gone by the next turn, netting Midayle +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd.

qcz1z8l.png?1

We've got ourselves a Princess! One who will be forced to sit at her starting castle with her incompetent underlings, doing nothing useful, but still!

COU915Y.png?1
The calvary, mages, and Arden will all be heading for Heirhein and Anphony now that Lachesis is safe.

CHjsDmD.png?1

Everyone else is going a different route, though. You'll see where very soon.

IThaGyW.png?1

Ignoring that for a minute, let's see what's changed with Philip. Y'know, aside from the addition of mages to his party.

RDARKjN.png?1hmAenqG.png?1

Philip is a tough nut to crack, with huge buffs to his Defense and Strength. He's also got Continue, though his chances of ever activating it are pretty low. He's a tough enough dude on his own, but the addition of magic users to his army makes approaching him far more dangerous than before.

RaJVvzc.png?1UNsVCz1.png?1

One of those magic users happens to be this Priest here, who was harmless but annoying in the original but is now a credible threat to a lot of my units thanks solely to the addition of the Lightning spell. When you add it all together, merely approaching Heirhein has become a lot more troublesome, but we still need to get it done if we want that Bargain Ring!

tb0MwKA.png?1

And it's important we get a move on, as these dicks are already hard at work demolishing all the villages.

6NkZong.png?1

I have Cuan lure a few guys away from the ballista. Thanks to all the high-damage dealers in Philips group, it's important to let them come to you now, instead of the other way around.

m6oQZws.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Def. You've been putting me on quite an emotional rollercoaster with these levels, Fin.

bgaa74t.png?1

If you don't want a lot of misery and frustration in your life, taking out the Priest should be top priority. If you don't, he'll either heal Philip to full health or nuke someone with Lightning.

pGau73q.png?1

I didn't even set that up intentionally. Sibling crits make everything better!

YVAvpIF.png?1

She hits him twice, but he Great Shields one of her attacks and reduces it to like 5 damage or something. Figures.

206Dj5w.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Luk, +1 Def. Not giving it your all today, are you Ethlin?

xCkgsAn.png?1

Lex snatches up the kill instead.

9DGF8s0.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Def. How does he have almost as much Speed as Defense?

UZI5W5q.png?1

The mages make me anxious about letting the Chalphy knights participate, but I let them weaken a few Armors for better units to kill.

1T8DqUq.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Def. You keep getting all the right stats, I just wish you'd get them all at the same time.

X3TishD.png?1

Midayle takes quite a beating out there, but he pulls through. It's my fault for leaving him in range, I guess.

NwsCTTP.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Mgc, +1 Def. Magic, really? I'd kind of like some Strength at this point, Lex.

mncHhx4.png?1CWO97IY.png?1

Everyone really wants a piece of Ethlin, even when it's a very bad idea to attack her.

PQgD4SP.png?1

At this rate, our chances of reaching the Bargain Ring village before the bandits wreck it aren't looking good.

Dykqu1T.png?1

The Binary developer was kind enough to offer us another way of handling things; with rock climbing! Some of our units can now climb up cliffs, which really helps them contribute in this map where they'd otherwise be left in the dust.

GB3EtWl.png?1

There, our secret village liberation team is a go. Dew still has the Lady Sword, so he should be useful in getting rid of these clowns.

HNMlNOj.png?1

Dealing with the last of Philip's men gives Sigurd +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Str.

hDkzONw.png?1XdoWlKl.png?1

And with the siege engines cleaned up and our band of heroes ready to save the day the moment Anphony goes red...

sX4bhff.png?1

We'll ready to smash Heirhein by the next update! After that, we'll meet a dancer who always dreamed of being a gladiator and a potent sword and the smug grin that wields it!

The eerie silence of this Let's Play thread... it fills me with determination.

Chapter 2 Part 2: Ancestral swords; not just for snooty nobles anymore!

Z1lDJ1n.png?1

In the last update we'd smashed through Philip's defensive line and his cranium all at once, and were all set to assault Heirhein, all to save a village that lets us buy stuff cheaper.

Before we go running up to the front gates and asking to be let in, let's look at who we're dealing with.

73ggOjJ.png?1sMiEPbG.png?1

Boldo is a different beast altogether from his unmodded incarnation. He's a member of a new class, the "Iron Knight", offering lower movement than other promoted cavs in exchange for full access to swords and lances, nearly full access to axes, and the Great Shield skill. He's also gained Charge to make fighting him a lot riskier than before, and huge buffs to pretty much every stat. He's a fairly intimidating dude.

And before you ask, we do have units capable of promoting to this new class. Who they are is a secret for now.

Ae0pLVI.png?1

I was trying to go for a sibling or lover crit here, but no dice. You've got all your loved ones around you to watch you fail, Ethlin!

9pWuhwE.png?1

At this rate he'll just heal all that damage away on his turn! Clearly I can't just pester him with the Light Sword.

6vqiZwG.png?1

Everyone who isn't scaling cliffs is currently desperately trying to keep up with Sigurd's mad dash from castle to castle. By the time some of them reach Heirhein he'll already be on the road to the next slaughtering ground.

S7Ej5jS.png?1

Speaking of our bold mountaineers, they're currently chilling out near the marauders, waiting for them to actually be attackable. In hindsight, I didn't need all four of them for this.

UCffscw.png?1

The knights surrounding Heirhein are awfully rude, chucking sharp objects at our intrepid hero. He was only trying to support his sister's murderous endeavors!

I2c061Z.png?1

With this one out of the way, maybe she can support some of his!

WFEi32r.png?1

Honestly, if the series is gonna go down the dating sim road, stuff like Lover crits need to come back. I'd include Sibling crits in that, too, but there's apparently a lot of overlap between the two groups.

o9ZP24M.png?1

Not exactly an awe-inspiring amount of damage, but he can't just shrug it off, either.

guwewgL.png?1

Ethlin gets the level up ball rolling, gaining +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Spd.

YGZWGhl.png?1

Could we potentially get a crit in here, too?

V2wOLbb.png?1

Yes we can!

2roF0xD.png?1

One tasty Barrier Ring, just for Sigurd. I don't see any reason for him to give it up, so for the time being it's all his.

kzr6afH.png?1

Let's tear up this dump and move on to bigger and better things.

RLZyLYh.png?1

Also, let's give Fin that Hero Lance he's been wanting for Christmas. Just in case you were worried the game took this Hero weapon away like it did with the Axe, don't worry, he gets the actual weapon this time. I doubt Cuan would be enough of an ass to hand Fin a Devil weapon, anyway.

S3T6VRR.png?1

It's heavier and weaker than before (though the new weight mechanics mean it technically weighs less than before), but it's still a very useful weapon.

MGgwjHU.png?1

King Shagaal instantly teleports to Anphony to tell Macbeth off for being a lazy bum.

TjqK5ts.png?1FphNPqJ.png?1

Macbeth chooses to rectify this failing of his by sending out a terrifying swarm of Free Knights, while leaving a mixed force of Armors and Free Fighters to defend the castle itself.

Xd2Pe0p.png?1

He also gives my units the signal to start murdering the bandits he sent out to raid these villages. Why do all the nobles in this game love to terrorize their own citizens?

Zo92ef7.png?1VUM6tr8.png?1

I suppose it doesn't matter, we've got yet more new delicious meat for our team, who will be integral in removing the bandit menace from the countryside once and for all.

iZdSdYR.png?1fQlDHWk.png?1

Levin didn't receive any stat changes at all, and is still in the same class with the same skills and starting weapon. Of course, the mechanical changes to his skills do sort of limit his effectiveness at this early point in the game, since he can no longer reliably activate Continue.

zObymg4.png?1

Elwind got slapped hard with the nerfs, becoming heavier and dealing less damage than before. It's still a decent tome, but the undisputed king of El- magic it is not.

EW5xBpa.png?1E88kh3i.png?1

Sylvia gained a point of Strength, two points of Skill, and three points of Speed. While that's all very nice to hear, she's lost her starting weapon to compensate for these buffs, rendering her utterly helpless until we can outfit her with something nice. The changes to Prayer do make her a lot more survivable, though, and let her push through Arena fights she had no business winning in the first place.

6D5PPJt.png?1

Levin doesn't let nerfed Continue activation rates get him down, he just crits whatever needs killing!

hSP4fjy.png?1cvGYNsh.png?1

With some help from Sylvia, he even manages to pull it off twice!

swmTLhu.png?1bSoZZyX.png?1

Ira and Jamke handle the remaining two. I suppose I didn't really need to bring Dew and Holyn all this way, but it's not like they would've accomplished much trying to keep up with Sigurd's lunatic pace.

iByOeNF.png?1

Ethlin does a little patching up on her brother, since he took a couple blows from Boldo. He needs to be in tip top shape for what we're about to face.

Vx6AE38.png?1

The first item of concern are the border guards. The unpromoted ones are nothing special, but the Great Knight has a Killer Axe, and you don't want him toddling over to someone like Adean or the Chalphy knights and annihilating them in one blow.

i7LVNF1.png?1

Thankfully, he set his sights on meatier targets.

rFQNIVD.png?1

He doesn't even need the Hero effect, he just crits this dickweed into oblivion.

jkLFPT5.png?1

With those guys out of the way, far more terrifying foes approach. You'll see what I mean very soon.

38ps87X.png?1

Fury's squad flies to the capital to have a pleasant chat with the king. I'm sure this won't come up again or amount to anything important.

uz2L9Bm.png?1

Killing the last of the Axe Knights guarding the border grants +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Luk, +1 Def. Isn't Strength your second-highest growth? How do you keep missing it and why do you keep getting Skill and Luck instead?

6FO6IZP.png?1

The mages are doing their damndest to keep up and remain relevant to the chapter. Sorry, guys it's gonna be a long while before you catch up to the Pony Emblem Express.

suGmoBY.png?1

Speaking of horses, these guys are slowing coming to greet us, which is the last thing anyone wants. Why, you ask?

dAv5UMl.png?1

Well, for starters, some of the generic Free Knights are toting Killing Edges as opposed to the Steel Swords everyone else has. But that's not the worst part...

AK7bBRk.png?1ZEOnNHe.png?1

The worst part has to be Voltz. In addition to buffs to his Defense, Strength and especially Speed, he's gained the Critical skill, as well as a Steel Axe and Silver Blade instead of the Steel Blade he used to wield. He can one-round a lot of my units, and those Leadership Stars of his make fighting his generics a lore more dangerous. Taking care of him requires a lot of care.

ExLEJUT.png?1ziOdkwm.png?1

As if that wasn't enough, we've got Beowulf running around, typically either getting himself killed or killing your own units with his suicidal incompetence. He isn't much different, aside from Free Knights gaining equal access to Swords and Axes, which opens up a lot of fun possibilities when it comes to inheritance!

Speaking of which, there is one major reason why this hack changes Beowulf from "father you fob off to Lachesis if Azel is taken" to "absolutely must be paired by the end of Gen 1":

pWUkf8D.png?1

Meet the Beo Sword. Anyone familiar with Thracia 776 remembers this little wonder, which provided both Ambush and Wrath in one deadly package. Its stats have been nerfed from its ridiculous numbers in Thracia, and the fact we're dealing with FE4 Wrath and not FE5 Wrath makes the skill combination a little riskier, but it's still an incredibly useful weapon. Only Beowulf and his children can wield the thing, so getting him hitched to someone is a must, and there are a lot of mothers whose kids would love to have something like this. He's pretty much Jugdral's most eligible bachelor based entirely on this weapon alone.

aTYagHY.png?1

I unwisely decide to attract the attention of the Anphony guards before the mercenaries arrive. I probably should've let them be, but I was being impatient and wanted them out of the way now.

GF49CE3.png?1

The enemy Free Fighters have a pinkish-purple palette that I am very fond of. If only everyone look so regal!

WcUoNzw.png?1

Arden's been trudging very slowly to his "Secret Event", whose name is a bit of a misnomer at this point given that there's a page detailing where all of them are on this very website.

Ocm4AIJ.png?1

It still provides the Pursuit Ring, though I suppose with the radical changes to Pursuit such a thing is no longer a must-have item like it once was. Still, there's a few units who'd probably like to have it.

pLpHNzx.png?1

Midayle keeps bringing home good levels with +1 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def. Whatever has gotten into you, I hope it never goes away.

683nNaK.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Luk, +1 Def. Perhaps you could teach Fin how to harness whatever power you're using to defy your growth rates.

IR13oPD.png?1

Because I am a master tactician, I foolishly let Noish contribute as if he could do anything but jeopardize everything with his inept fuckery.

5iYo2ZY.png?1

Teach 'em how it's done, Lex. You'll be ready for promotion very soon at this rate!

FPKi2mP.png?1

We destroy the last Free Fighter, losing his mesmerizing palette to the cold embrace of death. We will always remember that eye-pleasing color scheme.

Edr5iSg.png?1

I'm gonna let Fin take care of whatever dregs come his way. He's a growing boy, he needs to be fed.

jbIE8kv.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Luk. I mean, it's growth, but not the kind I was looking for.

X340d3T.png?1

I let Ethlin help out, and all she gives in return is +1 Spd. You're not setting a good example for the child!

1eB1Hev.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Luk, +1 Def. Not helping, Sigurd, not helping at all.

3tWB484.png?1

In what is a brilliant tactical maneuver the likes of which only Robin and August could cook up, I have Fin, with only 11 HP to his name, rush out to recruit Beowulf before the fool does something reckless and stupid, which would be totally unlike my current series of actions.

HJTKPnc.png?1

I suppose we've just gotta hope Prayer does it's thing in a way that prevents him from being utterly destroyed.

bXyqjtv.png?1

The fools tried to kill him, but only rendered his flesh immortal!

Not gonna lie, an evil cackle almost escaped my lips upon seeing him reach 1 HP.

SpKRZH7.png?1

Oh dear, that's not good. The Hero Lance broke.

BTlxCR6.png?1

With Fin surrounded, the knights decide to attack the only other thing in range. Unfortunately for them, she's also got Prayer!

mYZkeqJ.png?1

Not that she needs it.

oLM12XW.png?1

+1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Mgc, +1 Mdf. This is the fastest Diadora anyone has ever had. Kindly don't prove me otherwise, I need to feel amazing about myself.

OuKJ3ln.png?1

You know not what you've wrought.

lfjDhyD.png?1

Well, this is a bit of an issue. I've left Fin utterly surrounded, at 1 HP, and with his best weapon broken. What are we to do?

ITosJ3B.png?1

The solution, like most problems in this game, involves murder.

BcqlB00.png?1hk3WF9v.png?1

Now we've just gotta patch up the Prayertanks. We'll be needing their insane survivability for this.

t1icfAV.png?1

An utterly airtight formation, no one who couldn't survive a round of combat with Voltz is in range of him. Admittedly, for Diadora it's entirely thanks to Prayer, but still!

TrhcXh7.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def. Y'know, Fin, if you got levels like that all the time, I wouldn't have to make fun of you so much.

lMg4Qr3.png?1

Fin does a pretty fantastic job killing these guys, actually. He really loves being able to crit now!

RasnCoX.png?1

Beowulf starts his levels off right, with +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def.

TC73WWB.png?1

The moment of truth has arrived.

t1xXyRv.png?1

I felt more sheer terror in this moment than I did playing any survival horror game released in the past ten years.

OpkjAQ6.png?1

Once our turn comes around, Azel finally gets to kill something this chapter. Poor boy's been left behind in more ways than one.

TPePMvS.png?1

Frying Voltz with Lightning causes Adean to gain +1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def. Not bad at all!

ounUzXQ.png?1

There are a lot of candidates who really want this Elite Ring before we start playing hot potato with it in later chapters, but I'm letting Cuan nab it first. (He also got a +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd level in there, which I didn't screencap because my LPs are dollar-store quality).

LXFC2zb.png?1

He may seem like an odd candidate given his prepromoted nature, but let's just say it's very worthwhile to level him up as much as you can in FEBinary.

IDNiZyJ.png?1

Speaking of which, Lex gains +1 MHP, +1 Def, and will be our first promotion as always. It'll have to wait until the next update, sadly.

bHONbPQ.png?15mtFZ31.png?1

In miscellaneous news, Sylvia picked up the hack's replacement for the Bargain Ring, the Silver Card, and Dew handed the Thief Sword over to Lachesis, who'll probably promptly chuck it in the bin until Sylvia comes around to pick it up.

Rzhjc8B.png?1

Taking care of Macbeth will have to wait until next time. After that, we discover an interesting new way to deal with siege engines, a few of our units earn a long-deserved rest, and we finally see what kind of promotions are available in FEBinary.

This was posted at 4:20 AM and I'm prouder of that than anything else I've ever done in my life.

♪ Ooooooooh, we're halfway there,

Whoa-oh, livin' on a prayer! ♪

Does the new rock-climbing ability allow those units to approach the eastern, or it all yellowed off?

♪ Ooooooooh, we're halfway there,

Whoa-oh, livin' on a prayer! ♪

Does the new rock-climbing ability allow those units to approach the eastern, or it all yellowed off?

You can get into Mackily through the cliffs just fine, since they didn't bother setting borders anywhere until after you get a flier. You don't even need to use the cliffs, since there's also some thickets you can squeeze through. No dice with Agusty, sadly, the borders will keep any prospective rock climbers out.

How does climbing work? Is it an actual command, or are cliffs given a movement cost of 20 or something for everyone but certain foot units?

They just changed the movement costs for cliffs for non-armored non-magic infantry units so they could scale them. Calvary can get up if they dismount, though.

I still haven't explained dismounting fuck me sideways

This time around, let us watch the tragic fall of Macbeth unfold, see love bloom on the battlefield, and check out yet more fun tricks the game throws our way!

Chapter 2 Part 3: Lex, a knight with a will of iron

nUwHULX.png?1

We've dealt with that ridiculous swarm of Free Knights and got ourselves a very special ring. Now all that's left is to deal with Macbeth.

DyKWkkL.png?1N8lGZJh.png?1

Macbeth's received a few upgrades just like the other bosses, with +3 Strength, +4 Defense, +2 Res, and +1 Skill and Magic just because. He threw out his Steel Lance and Javelin for a deadlier Halberd and Steel Bow combination, and gained the Vantage skill so he'll almost always strike first. He's lost the Defense Ring, though. It's not at all wise to let your mounted units engage him in melee combat, because +20 damage hurts.

fmxtxfr.png?1

I took a few turns to shuffle our principle actors onto the stage of this tragic scene. Midayle is admittedly useless for this and is mostly here to grind love points with Adean.

RbI4h0t.png?1

I position Sigurd so he can give leadership bonuses to more than one side of the castle. I want Diadora and Ethlin to weaken the boss so Holyn can kill him and get his Halberd.

XhVveVo.png?1

He got a lucky crit on her the first time I tried this, ending her fragile little life, but she pulls it off the second time.

86WoMHI.png?1

Ethlin performs admirably as well.

BGStS75.png?1

The boss is down! For once my plans work with minimal hitches. (Holyn gets +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Mdf here)

LjYSHqk.png?1

This'll hopefully come in handy when there's horses that need slaying. Thank god lances aren't the only place to get anti-horse weapons anymore!

NAQzbhH.png?1

Ethlin sends a few people packing for Evans and gets +1 MHP, +1 Str.

UJqa4n9.png?1

I send the new kids through the Arena to test their mettle and moxie. Here's the results:

ARENA COMPLETION- Lachesis *, Levin *, Beowulf *, Sylvia 3

ARENA LEVELS-

Lachesis: 4 levels- +2 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Mgc, +1 Def

It's okay, Lachesis. I know you're more a "shitty until promotion" kind of unit.

Levin: 3 levels- +1 Skl, +3 Spd, +2 Mgc

Who would've guessed, Levin mostly gains Speed! How utterly unexpected.

Beowulf: 3 levels- +2 MHP, +1 Spd

You can do so much better than this.

Sylvia: 1 level- +1 MHP

You, on the other hand, cannot.

Fmd4jE6.png?1

The changes to Prayer are pretty much the only reason Sylvia can get through even the first level of the Arena, but sadly the lance knight does enough damage to get past that. Better luck next time!

DBH5qAo.png?1

Lachesis heals up her future husband. The changes to Luna and Sol really expand Holyn and Dew's options as fathers, and both are among Lachesis's best pairings. I went with Holyn for more damage and Odo blood, but Dew's better stat spread and passing down Bargain are pretty great too. Beowulf is an obviously fantastic choice with his unique sword, of course, though there are certain mothers that want that more. Lex is also way better thanks to Free Knights having an Axe rank, since he can pass some great stuff to Delmud. Conversely, Azel's not as great a choice as he once was, as in order to get the most out of an Azel X Lachesis pairing you have to make some sacrifices in terms of Nanna's physical prowess. It's not a horrible option, but both parents can do better.

cvcPcno.png?1

These two are staying glued together until the Love Points stop flowing in. They don't end up tying the knot this chapter, but hopefully I've gotten them close enough that they'll be hitched next chapter instead.

h2VsTZe.png?1

Lachesis grabs half the villages, including one that contains the Defense Ring the boss was supposed to have. She also gets the HP-boosting one. Fury will be getting the rest.

Uxxy1F0.png?1

A sturdy princess is a happy princess.

vMpDrPO.png?1

One great thing about Lachesis being able to climb up cliffs is that her paladin lackeys will have to run all the way around to catch up to her. If you have a lot of patience, you can use this to get them more-or-less out of the way for a considerable amount of time, giving Lachesis the ability to actually participate in Chapter 2. You have to wait until you've taken out Voltz, though, because otherwise the three of them will gleefully get themselves killed and deny you the Knight Ring.

Bj7dQ1f.png?1

Lex is ready to promote. Promotion works quite differently in FEBinary. You still have to be at Level 20 an in the home castle to do it. Just select the castle as always...

cHIAlr3.png?1

Once you do so, it tells you what class you'll be getting.

7xI2l8j.png?1

Here's where things differ. At this screen, you can go ahead and press A to get whatever the selected promotion is, or you can press X, Y, or R to change your choice! X picks the "default" option, Y picks a second choice if there is one, and the few characters with three classes can get the third one by pressing R.

yDvtR59.png?1

Note how some of the characters in the second line have changed. That's how you know if you've picked a new class.

AqA7ax5.png?1iikEJDq.png?1

Lex's default choice is still Great Knight. It provides +1 Skl, +5 Str, +1 Spd, +4 Def, +3 Mdf, +1 Mov, as well as A Axes and B Swords. It's a slightly more offensively oriented option than...

6eHaAlf.png?16kHqgMe.png?1

Iron Knight, which instead gives Lex +4 Str, +7 Def, +5 Mdf, as well as A Swords, A Lances, and B Axes (which becomes A thanks to his Neir blood), plus the Great Shield skill.

kWxFeeT.png?1

I've pretty much never picked Great Knight, as the boosts provided by Iron Knight are more than worth the lower movement. It's a shame his Iron Knight palette isn't as nice as his Great Knight one, though. He's missing out on a pretty white pony and everything!

T8JEvBq.png?1

Patching up some wounded soldiers nets Adean a +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def level. That's an... unusual spread of stats coming from you.

qaEvFLb.png?1

I spent some time grinding love points and getting everyone in place, and now we're ready to march on Mackily. Don't mind all those people up on the cliffs, their purpose will become apparent soon enough.

YzEIVcs.png?1

I certain took my sweet time conquering this place.

M6AfuDi.png?1

Hearing that Sigurd's finally stopped sitting outside Anphony, doing nothing, Beowulf finally feels ready to talk to Lachesis and give her a boost. She receives the usual Str +2, Skl +2, Def +1.

2In1UX9.png?1

Hopefully this'll help you get up to speed with everyone else.

wdZZALF.png?1

Yes, run all the way around the cliffs and leave me alone. Just as planned!

cqU82Kh.png?1FvwI8fT.png?1

The bosses have had enough of sitting around waiting for me to get around to conquering them, and are ready to go on the offensive.

wbElYt4.png?1y7eWI09.png?1

They've deployed troops absolutely everywhere. Interestingly, the soldiers defending Mackily are entirely female. This hack has a tendency to make random generics female, which I'm honestly pretty cool with. I kind of wish more FE games and hacks did that, actually.

RFQiz8c.png?1

Lachesis has the Lady Sword now, so hopefully its Prayer skill should keep her safe from harm.

5nyCSC6.png?1

But not from naptime. I suppose he could've picked a worse target.

6Q6vryV.png?1UieoSL5.png?1

I was concerned about the ballista, but none of them land a hit this turn.

S4SqAdN.png?1

Good thing, too, as one of the Ballista is wielding a Killer Ballista, which can cause a lot of tears for unwary players.

7H48Bgx.png?1

I plopped a bunch of units on that cliff so we don't have to suffer more than a turn of his bullshit, though.

qVXNxJp.png?13VzIowQ.png?1

Really, everyone does exceptionally well at dealing with these assclowns. The anti-ballista team rules.

I43bhow.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Mgc, +1 Mdf. They keep getting better, too.

kA4uoJP.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Mdf. Some more so than others.

R6hkQEC.png?1

With a dance from Sylvia, they're ready for another round!

YZfYItM.png?1

Rest in pieces, you filthy war machines!

QiDrbpf.png?1

Holyn is still up on the cliffs, helping out from afar with his hand axe.

DSvE25j.png?1xNPb5vx.png?1

Dealing with the women defending Mackily gives out unexceptional levels, of +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Luk and +1 MHP, +1 Defm respectively. At least Ethlin is ready for promotion.

LEChuSS.png?1

Sorry, Dew, I'm gonna have to keep endangering you until you become competent. Such is the way of war.

YZZ3chE.png?1

Lex sold that Return Ring so Sigurd could buy it, allowing him to become a true star at last.

6aWT90U.png?1

That is the opposite of what I wanted from you, you miserable turd!

JihJfAr.png?1

On enemy phase, people tear the absolute shit out of Lachesis. At least Prayer will mitigate the risk.

BkT451S.png?1

In case you were wondering, the AI is able to go up and down cliffs, too. One enterprising myrmidon does so to make me groan in disgust and unhappiness.

4XmqDEo.png?1

One of the mages also takes an interesting in him. At least he fights back okay.

fMwOdLm.png?1

The mages, clearly jealous of my units being able to climb up to places they shouldn't be in, try to fight back against the insanity.

99anGkI.png?1

Honestly, I'm okay with this. It means he won't use it on another one of my units.

PFBYVHG.png?1

These guys are fast approaching. The Duke Knight's got a Silver Lance on him, so we don't want our squishies in his way.

qA8Wh5I.png?1

In preparation, we shall cut a bloody swath through what remains of Clement's forces.

7xMpTcv.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Luk. Not your best effort.

ZNDP8jB.png?1

Arden finally gets to contribute at all this chapter. Keeping this guy up to snuff is struggle, but I persevere!

7l91V7K.png?1

Speaking of struggles, Dew manages another kill. Maybe one day you'll actually be able to fight enemies instead of needing them fed to you.

x02MX8Y.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl. I'm not heartbroken that you've fallen behind, Noish.

DrJX34G.png?1

I don't want this guy Sleep-ing any more of my units, so let's fight Staves with Staves!

f8CONsI.png?1

No more putting my soldiers down for a nap like they're unruly kindergartners!

N9yhrRH.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Mgc, +1 Mdf. Life is full of surprises, unless you're Diadora.

D4WtSTG.png?1

Enemy phase was a hand-wringingly tense affair, as I left Ira in range of a bunch of lance users. She ended up overcoming the Weapon Triangle and killing the Duke Knight, though. She also gets a measly +1 Skl level.

BnJzP21.png?1

Azel utterly embaresses her on that front, with +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Mgc, +1 Def. Goddamn, kid, that's impressive!

h6byNZR.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Mdf. Wow, at this rate maybe you will be a halfway-decent fighter before promotion!

TDoEFv6.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Luk. Midayle continues to outperform all previous Midayle's I've ever had, and probably any Midayle I'll have in the future. I will sorely miss this.

VlEodlS.png?1

The lance knights are dealt with, and the Paladin is still a bit of a distance away. Let's take on Clement himself!

1TN4FEe.png?1oJh3Sre.png?1

Clement's not massively more difficult than before, gaining a few points in most of his stats, but no new equipment. What he has gained is Prayer, which makes killing him far more annoying than it normally would be. He also gained Pursuit, though the fact I've silenced him means that skill doesn't help him much.

qdUDK2Q.png?1

I wanted Beowulf to weaken him, and he foolishly crits and pushes the boss into Prayer range. Great work.

crCBmFf.png?1

Ira doesn't give a shit, though.

OSvkuPp.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Luk. You really are a master of meeting my lowest expectations. I still love you, but it's a strained relationship at this point.

puvGDAL.png?1

The Sleep Staff is still the Sleep Staff. Not much new to report.

La6Z4mH.png?1

The generic Paladin and his mooks have arrived, so let's handle that.

EZZTNtZ.png?1

Arden emulates Ira in disappointing me in a way I always knew he would, with +1 MHP, +1 Str.

YyM4ZZW.png?1gx35TQU.png?1

Thanks to the Elite Ring, Cuan manages to level up twice, with +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Mdf and +1 MHP, +1 Def, +1 Mdf. Chugging along nicely towards that level cap!

CqepHmN.png?1

If you were worried that my cliff-climbing shenanigans might attract the attention of the peg knights, fear not, they continue towards Evans regardless.

T8W1Rwu.png?1

Fury's squad have all picked up Wind Swords, which is certainly an upgrade from boring Slim Lances.

W9SOO0T.png?1g9gm66x.png?1

This includes Fury herself, who's also gained +3 Magic but is otherwise identical to her base game counterpart. The Wind Sword's a good enough weapon that it's a huge buff on it's own, at least.

RybZdZB.png?1

One notable thing about this weapon is its effectiveness against flying units, just like it had in Thracia. It basically replaced the Wing Clipper. This doesn't mean much for Fury's current posse, though, since we don't have any flying units for them to face.

HTY8ZFQ.png?1

Levin will be chilling at Evans until the next update, when they arrive and proceed to attack their own beloved prince. Check in whenever I get that up!

"Make some sacrifices to Nanna's physical prowess"?

Could you explain? That doesn't sound like a new downside to Azel!Nanna, that was the case before, it's just that she's a mounted staff user with unbelievably horrible magic, and Azel is the only way to make it decent, so that was what was most important. What changed?

Everyone in Binary might be able to dismount but unfortunately the hack still has the same bug as the vanilla game, that can result in the unit staying greyed out permanently.

Also, it's nice to learn that the heavy defense cavalry unit is the Iron Knight. I always wondered what the class is called seeing how it basically has the same abilities as the Great Knights from Sacred Stones, yet the game already had Great Knights. Do you also know what the Mage Generals are called?

Edited by BrightBow

Hey guys, sorry for the delay, been busy recently. Let's get everything squared away!

"Make some sacrifices to Nanna's physical prowess"?

Could you explain? That doesn't sound like a new downside to Azel!Nanna, that was the case before, it's just that she's a mounted staff user with unbelievably horrible magic, and Azel is the only way to make it decent, so that was what was most important. What changed?

Well, to be honest, not much has changed in the pairing, apart from one thing; Azel's kids gain access to a special tome late in Gen 2, but the only way to use it if you paired Azel with Lachesis is to promote Nanna to a Mage Knight, which isn't exactly a great class for her. It's really more a sacrifice of Azel's potential as a father than it is Nanna's potential as a fighter, which I should've made clearer. It's not a horrible choice, though, I just think Lachesis is better off with a physical husband and Azel's better off with a wife who has at least one magic-focused child.

Everyone in Binary might be able to dismount but unfortunately the hack still has the same bug as the vanilla game, that can result in the unit staying greyed out permanently.

Also, it's nice to learn that the heavy defense cavalry unit is the Iron Knight. I always wondered what the class is called seeing how it basically has the same abilities as the Great Knights from Sacred Stones, yet the game already had Great Knights. Do you also know what the Mage Generals are called?

It's called Iron Mage, I believe. It's not the most original name, but it fits!

We've nearly wrapped up Chapter 2, but before we go we'll discover a "new" scion of the Hezul bloodline, watch a minor boss receive an art upgrade, and finally promote someone other than Lex!

Chapter 2 Part 4: New look, same great Zyne

XLDR3di.png?15JURMLq.png?1

I spend some time healgrinding before Sigurd's army actually moves for Agusty, netting Lachesis +1 Str and Adean +1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Luk. Of all the levels, these are somehow the least surprising they could've given me.

qJ9pZgG.png?1

Sylvia danced for a while until she got a +1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Mgc level. I think that's her way of asking for a Thunder Sword.

6R4qRPp.png?1

Righteous Fury is fast approaching Levin, guarding Evans all on his lonesome. I want him to take out as much of her squad as possible before he talks to her, though. EXP is EXP, regardless of if it's his own countrymen or not!

wXEackO.png?1

What could possibly go wrong with this plan?

9qbW4nw.png?1

Ah, yes, that. That could definitely go wrong with this plan.

K1w4hT3.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Spd. I don't need this bullshit in my life, Levin.

A7yspyw.png?1

To make up for his failings, he crits the next little pest who comes his way.

zHypbZF.png?1

And again, though he takes a hit before he can pull it off.

gG6bSjA.png?1

He doesn't quite heal back to full, either. This is just making me antsy.

vZQg3oj.png?1

Oh come on, Levin!

fjj9pAn.png?1

Why are you doing this to me? Is it because I made fun of your speed-only levels?

kVeYc8l.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Mgc. I mean, that sorta makes up for it, I guess.

viXgT6T.png?1

Fuck it, not taking anymore chances.

66EUpFI.png?1

Yes, turn your pegasi green and fly away, never to return.

Wa4MHpR.png?1

Fury's really not gonna do anything this chapter; she's just gonna collect whatever villages Lachesis didn't take and try to push her way through the Arena.

rVcWo19.png?1

It's time to finally conquer this crappy kingdom once and for all!

YFedCzw.png?1

Here's my incredibly good formation, ready for Zyne and his unbelievable swarm of horses!

myad9pK.png?1

Zyne, oddly enough, received... well, not really "his" portrait from Thracia 776, since he's long dead by the events of that game, but certainly A portrait from Thracia 776! This is not the last time we see this little art upgrade.

KUkJJCM.png?1jAtVkRt.png?1

While Zyne's stats received a few buffs (most notably +2 Speed and +3 Defense), it's the skills department where he's really amped things up; he's got both Pursuit and Critical, instead of a whole lot of nothing like before. He's still not all that threatening unless you're a cavalier, but he can unleash a very inopportune crit every now and again. His troops aren't really all the different, though, and can still be easily cleared out with minimal risk.

I do appreciate the new icon for the Knight Killer. Having it basically be an orange Slim Lance was kind of lame.

Y37CMRD.png?1fTRWKUZ.png?1

The guys guarding Agusty are all toting Killer weapons now. Much like Zyne, they're not terribly dangerous until they suddenly empty three fourths of your health bar.

8slzCz4.png?1N61AnOR.png?1

Shagaal, unlike Zyne, is not fucking around. He's dumped the Silver Blade for a Hero Sword and Hero Bow, gotten hefty boosts to almost every stat, and picked up both Pursuit and Vantage, which makes attacking him a far riskier venture than before. He still drops that lovely Libro Staff, though, unlike some bosses who leave their droppables in nondescript villages.

HrSuSUv.png?1

Checking out the Holy Blood screen reveals that Shagaal has minor Hezul blood now, which he logically always should've. File that little nugget of information away for later, it might just come up again.

DjC9w1A.png?1

Let's skip ahead a bit to when Zyne's forces are all lined up to fight, instead of watching them shuffle through a narrow passage for three turns.

zDgpSOj.png?1

Combat's largely pretty uneventful. I'm trying to feed Arden here, since he's fallen behind and contributed almost nothing the whole chapter.

8CuSH2l.png?1

A lot of enemies go for Cuan, which I'm perfectly happy with.

DBSHefC.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def. Especially if he keeps getting levels like that.

PZ3is5S.png?1

Diadora is an infinite source of near heart attacks.

izhtDRI.png?1

I let Sylvia take part in our offensive maneuvers, which was a totally great and worthwhile plan.

0MMHGah.png?1

I really want to kill Zyne before enemy phase, since we've got so many ponies he could skewer in a second.

e8hqI3a.png?1

Jamke nets himself +1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def by shooting at the boss.

9E9MAWZ.png?1

A totally safe and excellent strategy. He can deal exactly enough damage to kill the boss in one hit, if the RNGis kind and lets him.

cfpsboO.png?1

Fortunately for us, he does exactly that.

hgZ3gOL.png?1

He gets a +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def as well as the Knight Killer. It seems like that's a recurring motif with him now. I can't complain.

czlcdYV.png?1aGsRcLS.png?1

Without Zyne's leadership stars, the remaining foes don't put up much of a fight. (+1 MHP, +1 Spd, +1 Luk)

eZlE5uX.png?1

I... kind of left a lot of my squishies exposed here, didn't I? I guess we've gotta hope they can weather the damage for a turn.

eirQJQr.png?1

Sigurd's in range of two of the ballista, both of whom land a direct hit. Oddly, none of the other enemies try to hurt him after this.

41itwNI.png?1

Most of them target Beowulf for... whatever reason. The first level he gets this turn hands him +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd.

M0T1CNO.png?1

Sylvia, against all odds, not only dodges an attack without the help of Prayer, but hits her opponent twice in a row. For 1 damage, of course, but that's impressive for her, at least!

QKmIy5B.png?1

She entertains delusions of being a proper combat unit with a +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Mgc. Sylvia, baby, you're not Feena. You aren't ever gonna be a good fighter.

KbT99yr.png?1

One of the enemy troubadours does her annoying enemy healer shtick.

zBPaEcr.png?1

The other two bravely rush to their doom against the mighty Beo Sword. Hey, if the healers want to remove themselves from the field, I'm all too happy to help.

9Qe94X5.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Def. I'm seeing a pattern emerging.

sGInrDX.png?1C6I1csI.png?1

We finish off the remnants of Zyne's squad, and get a start on those Armors protecting the castle. Lex hands me a bleh +1 MHP, +1 Def, and Holyn an even weaker +1 MHP, +1 Skl.

0em7pfU.png?1

I'm displeased by how much trouble I've had getting the mages levels this chapter, so they get a few kills in their too.

3tacaKU.png?1

+1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Luk, +1 Def. I was worried about you before, so I'm glad to see my fears were unfounded.

hfmE1i4.png?1

I'm not thrilled by this development at all, Diadora.

0Etj5tY.png?1Iq4ZHFP.png?1

Healing our fighter leads to fairly meh levels for both Ethlin and Adean, +1 Spd, +1 Luk and +1 MHP, +1 Luk.

kfGt005.png?1

We're almost done with Shagaal's defenders, as evidenced by this helpless ballista being demolished.

ciXMj5E.png?1NJzvEO2.png?1

That's the last of 'em. Now, how to deal with the good king and his Hero weapons?

kjIunzV.png?1

First, let's get the whole gang together. I've found being in range of things you want to kill makes it easier.

O3GVent.png?1

Midayle's quest for muscles has been working out well for him, and he gains +1 MHP, +1 Str, +1 Spd.

5bzJvmZ.png?1

Azel helps out, too, which probably wasn't a great idea given Shagaal's ability to effortlessly pulp him.

IKwhUsg.png?1

Down to a single hit point. I suppose there's only one thing to do in a situation like this.

NPFPZOA.png?1

I bet a lot of you guessed it was this.

90pzS2x.png?1

King of Agustria, decked on in fabulous armor and carrying powerful weapons, beaten by a 12 year old dealing mere scratch damage.

3qV1qf6.png?1

He'll take all of that, thank you.

uY65AGW.png?1

Not much left to do but pick up the remaining villages...

dETjZwk.png?1

... as well as send Ethlin home for a fabulous new promotion!

B1gZunz.png?1

More romantic than anything in Fire Emblem Fates.

almV2uC.png?1

Ethlin is ready for promotion, so let's see what's available for her!

e2VZd0L.png?1scLOYjp.png?1

Ethlin's default choice, as always, is Paladin. It gives her +3 Skl, +3 Str, +3 Spd, +5 Def, +3 Mdf, +1 Mov, along with a fairly worthless Lance rank. These are nice boosts for a more physically oriented Ethlin.

5kmUFkp.png?14D9QHgJ.png?1

Her other choice is Mage Knight, which gives out +1 Skl, +2 Spd, +8 Mgc, +2 Def, +4 Mdf, +1 Mov, as well as up to B Anima. These boosts skew her more towards magic use, though there aren't many tomes to go around at the moment. It makes her a much better healer, at any rate.

6qqbnvq.png?1

Both classes are fine choices for Ethlin, but I'll stick with Paladin for now. The golden armor is too good to pass up, even for a very pink palette like Mage Knight gives her. Besides, its not like she can pass tomes to Leaf anyway.

z88k8fm.png?1

I send Cuan back into the Arena to finish of Keimos, as well as letting Fury have a go at things.

ARENA COMPLETION- Cuan *, Fury 7,

ARENA LEVELS-
Cuan:1 level- +1 MHP

Way to end things on a whimper, Cuan.

Fury: 2 levels- +2 MHP, +1 Mgc, +1 Luk

I know I can't expect a whole lot out of you, but I certainly expected better than this.

2AAFW50.png?1SjFRNv2.png?1

Yet more healgrinding ensues, with +1 MHP, +1 Def, +1 Mdf and +1 MHP, +1 Skl, +1 Str, +1 Luk, +1 Def as the respective results.

X8w5GcR.png?1

We're done slaughtering all the nobility of Agustria, at least for now.

JXs6xDg.png?1

Give me my Knight Ring, you swine.

aEtp9G5.png?1

Before Sigurd can prevent Chapter 3 from happening, Eltshan shows up to inspire future characters like Brunya and Selena with his blind loyalty to someone who doesn't give two shits about him. Maybe he's got an unrequited crush on his king just like the other two?

I know Camus did it first, shut up.

lSnzVct.png?1

We're making excellent time!

Next chapter, we play Elite Ring tag, Mystletainn finds a new owner, we meet a pirate that stole something very important from us, and we recruit someone who's mastered the art of stealing things with arrows. Until next time!

Well, to be honest, not much has changed in the pairing, apart from one thing; Azel's kids gain access to a special tome late in Gen 2, but the only way to use it if you paired Azel with Lachesis is to promote Nanna to a Mage Knight, which isn't exactly a great class for her. It's really more a sacrifice of Azel's potential as a father than it is Nanna's potential as a fighter, which I should've made clearer. It's not a horrible choice, though, I just think Lachesis is better off with a physical husband and Azel's better off with a wife who has at least one magic-focused child.

Ah, that makes more sense. Curious to see what this tome is.

All those new weapon rank possibilities are great but there are just not enough weapons to really take advantage of it. Especially not basic weapons since the hack replaced them with all kinds of special weapons instead. I suppose that for all the amazing thing this hack does, they still weren't able to add more items to it.