Would you back a fire emblem spiritual successor on kickstarter?

Dinar87

Fire emblem spiritual successor kickstarter  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back something like this?

• Yes
    • Depends on the quality of the product shown
    • No

Sure I would, if the product is shown to be a professional work, with clear and realistic objectives.

Now, is it needed? A "succesor" feels like a continuation on the same mechanics without stranding too much from the spawning point, a.k.a., it would be a Fire Emblem 2.0. Proof of this can be found in other Kickstarter "succesors", like Bloodstained, Yookah Layle, and The-One-Game-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named. They pick up the bones of a dead franchise, and build a pretty exact copy with a different skin.

Fire Emblem is pretty much alive, with games spawning at Pokemon rate, and gameplay being overdone to death at this point. So no, a Fire Emblem-like game would not be a successor, but rather a competitor.

If you want to compete with FE, go for it, mate! Just don't sell it as a successor of a successful franchise that's at its peak right now. :^_^:

Edited by Riptor

I said no for a simple reason. Vestaria Saga exists. Why would I spend money to back something when something of the same basic concept already exists, is being published without a kickstarter, the head honcho has plenty of experience making FE games, and I can download it for free when the thing releases sometime this fall.

Sure I would, if the product is shown to be a professional work, with clear and realistic objectives.

Now, is it needed? A "succesor" feels like a continuation on the same mechanics without stranding too much from the spawning point, a.k.a., it would be a Fire Emblem 2.0. Proof of this can be found in other Kickstarter "succesors", like Bloodstaines, Yookah Layle, and The-One-Game-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named. The pick up the bones of a dead franchise, and build a pretty exact copy with a different skin.

Fire Emblem is pretty much alive, with games spawning at Pokemon rate, and gameplay being overdone to death at this point. So no, a Fire Emblem-like game would not be a successor, but rather a competitor.

If you want to compete with FE, go for it, mate! Just don't sell it as a successor of a successful franchise that's at its peak right now. :^_^:

There's also this that's worth noting so...

Edited by MCProductions

I said no for a simple reason. Vestaria Saga exists. Why would I spend money to back something when something of the same basic concept already exists, is being published without a kickstarter, the head honcho has plenty of experience making FE games, and I can download it for free when the thing releases sometime this fall.

There's also this to that's worth noting so...

Fair enough. I guess I can see your reasoning. Also, I probably should've just called it a fire emblem like game instead of a spiritual successor seeing as the official series is still going strong... I'm curious to know whether Vestaria Saga is releasing in the west or not...

Edited by Dinar87

Fair enough. I guess I can see your reasoning. Also, I probably should've just called it a fire emblem like game instead of a spiritual successor seeing as the official series is still going strong... I'm curious to know whether Vestaria Saga is releasing in the west or not...

It sorta isn't, but it's a free download off Kaga's blog, so Americans will be able to download it. They'll just have to play it it in Japanese until the Fan translators get their hands on it, which Kaga allowed in a way that prevents him from getting sued

Kinda already happened, I think people did say it was alright.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/telepath-tactics-a-strategy-rpg/description

There's others that list Fire Emblem as one of the influences. Though this one is more Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre looking to me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1266693296/arcadian-atlas-tactical-rpg-inspired-by-classics/description

People are willing to pay money for a better quality game. No offense, but Vestaria Saga is probably going to be a RPG Maker plus game at best and Kaga himself said not to expect too much. Plus, it's not as if there is some limit on games. Edited by Tryhard

People are willing to pay money for a better quality game. No offense, but Vestaria Saga is probably going to be a RPG Maker plus game at best and Kaga himself said not to expect too much. Plus, it's not as if there is some limit on games.

Fair enough, but my point was simply that I see no reason to put money into a project inspired by fans of a series to succeed a series when someone with experience in the genre is making a game that doesn't need people to put money on it.

It also doesn't help that Vestaria isn't the only example of "spiritual successor" FE games to exist that are either already out or aren't using Kickstarter.

Case in Point

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/partia/id572432485?mt=8

Granted, I consider this app kinda garbage. It's way too short and only 1 chapter is actually difficult, but it's sequel is actually quite good

Fair enough, but my point was simply that I see no reason to put money into a project inspired by fans of a series to succeed a series when someone with experience in the genre is making a game that doesn't need people to put money on it.

It also doesn't help that Vestaria isn't the only example of "spiritual successor" FE games to exist that are either already out or aren't using Kickstarter.

Case in Point

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/partia/id572432485?mt=8

Granted, I consider this app kinda garbage. It's way too short and only 1 chapter is actually difficult, but it's sequel is actually quite good

While they do look pretty good, they wouldn't exactly offer what I'd be offering (I think). Maybe this won't work, but I plan to make a game that plays like fire emblem (already been done) that has gba like graphics (already been done), with radiant dawn's music style and more game play options (third tiers, magic triangle, etc...). I'm not sure whether the last two have been done before in a "spiritual successor" to fire emblem....guess I'll have to play the games to find out!

Of course I'm not (intentionally) trying to pressure you into helping me...I just thought I should reveal more about the game to see whether all the elements have already been done before.

Edited by Dinar87

While they do look pretty good, they wouldn't exactly offer what I'd be offering (I think). Maybe this won't work, but I plan to make a game that plays like fire emblem (already been done) that has gba like graphics (already been done), with radiant dawn's music style and more game play options (third tiers, magic triangle, etc...). I'm not sure whether the last two have been done before in a "spiritual successor" to fire emblem....guess I'll have to play the games to find out!

Of course I'm not (intentionally) trying to pressure you into helping me...I just thought I should reveal more about the game to see whether all the elements have already been done before.

What's your experience on making games? I've backed many Kickstarters but I usually go for people who have a good background so I can feel comfortable supporting their projects.

What's your experience on making games? I've backed many Kickstarters but I usually go for people who have a good background so I can feel comfortable supporting their projects.

Honestly...I'm pretty horrible at programming and I've only just started making sprites (2 months ago even). HOWEVER, not only is this project planned for the VERY FAR future (so that gives me ages to get good at programming and making sprites) but, if for whatever reason I'm still not good at programming/sprite making/whatever I can simply use kickstarter to hire those who'd do it for me. That's the ultimate reason I'd eventually need something like kickstarter...to hire those who'd do a good job at making stories/sprites/music/whatever because I know I won't be able to do it all by myself.

I know this isn't very encouraging but I thought it would be best to be 100% honest with you guys. What I plan to do is this...

Step 1: Continue making sprites until enough people feel satisfied with them.

Step 2: Make ROM hacks of the official FE games so I can get some experience with making a game

Step 3: Make a few fan games of Fire Emblem

Step 4: After much practice, finally start the project.

Bare in mind this will likely take place over something like the next 5 years so don't get your hopes up yet (assuming you had any to begin with).

I'm also in contact with someone who's a game developer and she's been extremely helpful to me...she's essentially my only hope.

In conclusion, while I'm pretty much a novice atm, with enough time and practice, I'll hopefully become something decent at least.

Edited by Dinar87

As a developer, I do not recommend making ROM hacks as a starting point of making games. It's nice that you have the assets and some of the code, scripting and pointers already built in for you to take advantage from people who make these but eventually you'll need to do a lot of that on your own when you start making games that you really want and not 100% rely on documentation of things that people reversed engineered on their spare time because eventually you yourself will have to do that. I learned way more from programming fundamentals and building small applications to solve small problems than to just rely on or wait for somebody to build the tools for me.

Starting with making basic applications or very simple games is the best way to start being able to picture the big things that you eventually want to make. Learning hacking tools is great and all but they don't necessarily teach me to make the things I want to make.

Not to mention if you get so used to a specific paradigm or a hack that deviating away to another engine, coding or programming language will make the transition a lot more difficult if you ever need to switch to a different project. You will start going into a certain comfort zone to the point where you may get stubbornly want to avoid and try new things. I know my brain does this quite frequently when I switch projects in my company. You want to expand to languages and tools that aren't specifically only built for one engine.

Edited by kingddd

Nope. I never backend anything on kickstarter before and don't really plan to. I might if Fire emblem was killed but instead its thriving. I have my gripes about the new style to be sure but at the end of the day I was satisfied with Awakening and am very satisfied with fates

Nope. I never backend anything on kickstarter before and don't really plan to. I might if Fire emblem was killed but instead its thriving. I have my gripes about the new style to be sure but at the end of the day I was satisfied with Awakening and am very satisfied with fates

Is fates really that good? I wanted to make my own FE game because I was very un-satisfied with awakening...will fates conquest provide for veterans like me or should I stick to making my own game?

As a developer, I do not recommend making ROM hacks as a starting point of making games. It's nice that you have the assets and some of the code, scripting and pointers already built in for you to take advantage from people who make these but eventually you'll need to do a lot of that on your own when you start making games that you really want and not 100% rely on documentation of things that people reversed engineered on their spare time because eventually you yourself will have to do that. I learned way more from programming fundamentals and building small applications to solve small problems than to just rely on or wait for somebody to build the tools for me.

Starting with making basic applications or very simple games is the best way to start being able to picture the big things that you eventually want to make. Learning hacking tools is great and all but they don't necessarily teach me to make the things I want to make.

Not to mention if you get so used to a specific paradigm or a hack that deviating away to another engine, coding or programming language will make the transition a lot more difficult if you ever need to switch to a different project. You will start going into a certain comfort zone to the point where you may get stubbornly want to avoid and try new things. I know my brain does this quite frequently when I switch projects in my company. You want to expand to languages and tools that aren't specifically only built for one engine.

Thanks for the advice! I'm honestly hoping that my friend (the developer) will eventually teach me how to do all this stuff...but for now I'm focusing on one aspect at a time. I'll work on perfecting my sprites until they're amazing and THEN I'll think about other areas. I'm worried that if I try and do too much at once it'll just be a mess that leads nowhere.

Anyways, it seems that "Depends on the quality of the project shown" wins this little poll by a landslide for now! If I ever do end up making a fire emblem-like game I'll definitely take my time and make something great before I show it off.

Edited by Dinar87

Honestly, as long as Fire Emblem isn't dormant, I don't see a point on a kickstarter game really. The reason why people get hyped about Kickstarter games is because we know that we will never get another Mega Man game (and we still haven't gotten a true spiritual Mega man game either!), Castlevania and many many more.

Not only that but its also a place where indies get funds for their games. I feel that since Fire Emblem isn't struggling like how it used to, there's no need for a spiritual successor. I mean if at all a spiritual successor is to happen, the main character has to look VERY similar to Chrom or Siguard in my case!

While it's true that FE is far from dead...there are other reasons as to why I want to make this project happen...

The reason I'd want to make a kick started game is because I want to make a spiritual successor to the Tellius series in particular since it's likely Nintendo will never make another one of them. It'd have things like...

1. Story, world building and character development very similar in style to the Tellius series
2. 3 tiered class system
3. Magic triangle returns
4. The over-the-top battle animations that the GBA series had
5. Plenty of varied mission objectives-escape, defend, survive, etc... being far more common.
6. Battle fatigue returns as an optional mode
7. NO GRINDING
8. An orchestral soundtrack very similar in style to Radiant dawn.

Look, it's perfectly fine if you prefer the modern fire emblems to the older ones. However, for players such as myself I find the world building, character development and stories are VASTLY inferior to the older games. Even the game play isn't as good imo. All these things combine to make modern fire emblem feel incredibly underwhelming compared to the Tellius series and that is something I want to change...and if I have to make my own game to do it then I will.

So what's the point of this post then? Really to answer the whole "but FE is still alive and strong! Why have another one?" by pointing out that players such as myself find the stories of the newer games to be lacking at best, the lack of third tiers is underwhelming and the ability to grind just breaks the game in two easily. I want a better fire emblem than what Nintendo's currently offering and I'll make it myself if I have to.

I hope I didn't come off as aggressive or anything but I just wanted to make clear the purpose of the project. Not everyone is 100% satisfied with modern fire emblem is essentially the message I want to get across.

I should also mention that I haven't played fates yet. However, I have heard and seen a lot of that game and I'm not that impressed...does it get better? Admittedly, this project might be canned before it even begins as if fates is good enough my faith in modern FEs will be restored. I'm just looking at this from a worst case scenario standpoint assuming that fates will disappoint me the same as awakening did...because god knows Nintendo has disappointed me a TON lately (cough paper mario cough).

Edited by Dinar87

While it's true that FE is far from dead...there are other reasons as to why I want to make this project happen...

The reason I'd want to make a kick started game is because I want to make a spiritual successor to the Tellius series in particular since it's likely Nintendo will never make another one of them. It'd have things like...

1. Story, world building and character development very similar in style to the Tellius series

2. 3 tiered class system

3. Magic triangle returns

4. The over-the-top battle animations that the GBA series had

5. Plenty of varied mission objectives-escape, defend, survive, etc... being far more common.

6. Battle fatigue returns as an optional mode

7. NO GRINDING

8. An orchestral soundtrack very similar in style to Radiant dawn.

Look, it's perfectly fine if you prefer the modern fire emblems to the older ones. However, for players such as myself I find the world building, character development and stories are VASTLY inferior to the older games. Even the game play isn't as good imo. All these things combine to make modern fire emblem feel incredibly underwhelming compared to the Tellius series and that is something I want to change...and if I have to make my own game to do it then I will.

So what's the point of this post then? Really to answer the whole "but FE is still alive and strong! Why have another one?" by pointing out that players such as myself find the stories of the newer games to be lacking at best, the lack of third tiers is underwhelming and the ability to grind just breaks the game in two easily. I want a better fire emblem than what Nintendo's currently offering and I'll make it myself if I have to.

I hope I didn't come off as aggressive or anything but I just wanted to make clear the purpose of the project. Not everyone is 100% satisfied with modern fire emblem is essentially the message I want to get across.

I should also mention that I haven't played fates yet. However, I have heard and seen a lot of that game and I'm not that impressed...does it get better? Admittedly, this project might be canned before it even begins as if fates is good enough my faith in modern FEs will be restored. I'm just looking at this from a worst case scenario standpoint assuming that fates will disappoint me the same as awakening did...because god knows Nintendo has disappointed me a TON lately (cough paper mario cough).

I agree that grinding does limit tactical decisions. But at the same time, there really isn't much to do in the previous FE games once you beat the game.

And while the difficulty modes improve on the replayability, its literally playing the same maps over again only with slight changes. I understand that FE isn't exactly pleasing a lot of the older fans but that's the point really....doing that would just limit the potential sales of the FE series.

The GBA animations really depends on the realism that FE is going for. Most of the animations are a bit unreal and while I love them all, I think it might feel a bit jarring to see that happen in 3D.

I recommend that you get FE Fates: Conquest. It does all the things that you would like to return except for the three tier class, orchestral soundtrack, magic triangle and fatigue system. Personally, I'm satisfied with Conquest as its the better game between Birthright and Revelation and I got my money's worth. I must warn you that the game is hard even on Normal mode and the only way to grind is to get dlc.

Personally I think it's incredibly foolish to give money to kickstarters with no real proven talent behind them. Games with real industry experience have been less than stellar, and it's not realistic to expect something from amateurs to worthy of investment.

I agree that grinding does limit tactical decisions. But at the same time, there really isn't much to do in the previous FE games once you beat the game.

And while the difficulty modes improve on the replayability, its literally playing the same maps over again only with slight changes. I understand that FE isn't exactly pleasing a lot of the older fans but that's the point really....doing that would just limit the potential sales of the FE series.

The GBA animations really depends on the realism that FE is going for. Most of the animations are a bit unreal and while I love them all, I think it might feel a bit jarring to see that happen in 3D.

I recommend that you get FE Fates: Conquest. It does all the things that you would like to return except for the three tier class, orchestral soundtrack, magic triangle and fatigue system. Personally, I'm satisfied with Conquest as its the better game between Birthright and Revelation and I got my money's worth. I must warn you that the game is hard even on Normal mode and the only way to grind is to get dlc.

Right then...I'll play conquest and get back to you. As for replay ability...would online rankings and multiplayer make a difference? Also, with playing conquest, it might take a while.

Edited by Dinar87

I would require screenshots, a handful of gameplay details, and some written works from whoever was writing the story and/or dialogue. If two out of three looked good, I'd probably be up for it.

But I love FE, and so few SRPGs follow its style. If it looked like there was a good chance at getting a similar game, I'd want to play it.

I would require screenshots, a handful of gameplay details, and some written works from whoever was writing the story and/or dialogue. If two out of three looked good, I'd probably be up for it.

But I love FE, and so few SRPGs follow its style. If it looked like there was a good chance at getting a similar game, I'd want to play it.

How would a radiant dawn part 1 inspired story sound to you?

How would a radiant dawn part 1 inspired story sound to you?

I can see it being enjoyable, all depends on how its written, if the characters are likable ect. But as a base, it works for me. Playing a group of freedom fighters isn't new, but it doesn't have to be new to be good. That's not to say that there wouldn't be anything new though, I'm sure you've got a spin or two to put on it.