Would you like a direct prequel of Awakening?

Ryo

Your opinion  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a direct prequel of Awakening?

• Definitely yes
    • No
    • I'm fine as long as it is a good game
    • I don't care either way

I'd personally like to see the story of Chrom's ancestor/Ylisse's first Exalt and his(?) fight alongside Naga against Grima. Maybe it can explain more about Grima's motive, origin, background etc.; or the relationship between the countries, all of which were seriously lacking in Awakening. It may also clarify/explain some continuity inconsistencies between Awakening and the previous titles, as well as anything that remained a mystery in Awakening.

What do you think? Should Awakening have a prequel?

Edited by Ryo

I wouldn't complain, though I would rather see a game from the perspective of Gangrel (or someone else) during the war between Chrom's daddy and Plegia. It could show us a bit of background on Gangrel and the history of the conflict between these two countries. They hinted at a, in my opinion, interesting history in the first arc of Awakening, but didn't do anything with it.

But I'd rather want a new world and continent, honestly.

I doubt it would end up being all that great, even if they did make it. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely potential for a really good narrative in there, but they'd have to either have you play as Plegia (thus putting their established villains in a positive light) or have you play as Chrom's father (aka a pretty bad dude), both of which are a bit edgier than IS wants to be with Fire Emblem right now.

I'd want all new stuff, as well.

We've never gotten games about the historical characters, if the story wasn't butchered I'd like to see something surrounding Chrom's assholeish dad.

Maybe even a game where that assholeish dad is one of the antagonists. Like with Radiant Dawn, you get to control two armies, one constisting of Plegian characters (maybe even introducing Robin's mother, maybe?) and the other consisting of Ylissean characters, which serve that guy but notice that he's up to no good and in the end they'd have to team up and fight him or something. Or they could explain what made him so assholeish in the first place. I see a lot of potential there.

I guess the dad could make for an interesting anti-heroish lord. We don't have a lot of those, what with Part III Micaiah being what's closest.

Really though, so long as its better than Awakening with more thought put into plot and characters, I'm good.

We've never gotten games about the historical characters, if the story wasn't butchered I'd like to see something surrounding Chrom's assholeish dad.

FE7?

Anyway, Awakening played the whole protagonist-centered morality without a shred of irony or self-awareness. If another game around Awakening's time was made (more likely a sequel, but anything would do), it would either have to completely share Awakening's morality- in which case I wouldn't like it- or the devs would not only have to acknowledge Awakening's story as fundamentally flawed, but practically disown it as the new story would be hard-pressed to do anything but poke holes in it (and not in a loving way, either). Were I on the dev team, I can say right now that that's a pretty unappealing option.

There's not really a middle ground. Either we get something bad, or we get something good- but the good option is one the devs won't choose. So it'll take a bit of doing to sell me on the concept of a really good extension of Awakening by the same team.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen, and even have some epileptic trees about how the devs could feasibly expand Awakening into something more meaningful without stepping on it in the process. I just don't think it will.

I think that any game that includes basically all of the same game mechanics as Awakening would be good. I'd say a sequel would have better story transition, so you could see the children characters have children and whatnot, and it would be awesome if you could actually use saved data from Awakening to affect the new game, like how Pokemon did with Black/White and Black2/White2.

I'd prefer a sequel/prequel following Lucina before she travels into the past. And no, Future Past doesn't count. Make it to be like the FE5 to Awakening's FE4. Would definitely want more explanations about the origins of Grima and the Risen and how they're tied to everything.

Maybe this is going way too far back but why not a game about Anri and the forging of Falchion? It could share alot of the same mechanics and features as Awakening only build on them to better balance things improve on them.

Because Anri was around some 1,000 years after Falchion was made (and Falchion was carved, not forged).

I'd prefer a sequel/prequel following Lucina before she travels into the past. And no, Future Past doesn't count. Make it to be like the FE5 to Awakening's FE4. Would definitely want more explanations about the origins of Grima and the Risen and how they're tied to everything.

Honestly though, what FP is is probably better than that. Would you rather have a story starring a relatively small, weak cast of characters who ultimately lose and run away, or a story about the distant future of your own party in Awakening in an ALttP style "you got a game over" timeline?

I know I'd prefer the latter. But as long as the game isn't called FE13-2: Lucina Returns, I won't be too mad if it was the former.

I'd love to see something from the point of view of Plegia during the reign of Chrom's father, though I agree that I don't think it will happen, which is a shame. I also don't think a direct sequel is particularly likely. Something going back even further in time might IS a chance to clean up and explain some of their continuity from Awakening, and is probably the most probable area to go to if they wanted to make another game related to Awakening, but I think they'd be more likely to turn to something new that would give them more freedom.

Of course, if they did make an Awakening-related game, I would buy it, but I don't think it's something I'd necessarily prefer over a new setup.

FE13-2: Lucina Returns. To this day that name continues to make me laugh. It's funny because given Lucina's extremely exploitable popularity, IS could honestly pull some shit like that. For shits and giggles they'd probably bring Avatar back somehow. Such an act would send my jimmies into MAXIMUM OVER-RUSTLE but I can't deny the possibility.

Anyway,a small part of me does indeed want a prequel that expands on Awakening's world. A sequel would undoubtedly have no choice follow up on Awakening's protagonist centered morality (this was a really good way to word it, Czar) or outright ignore that it ever happened (because exposition doesn't happen in sequels, continuation does).

However a prequel has much more room to work with, especially given how much Awakening didnt build upon its world. Relationships betweens nations can be explained, motives for Grima and Plegia could be expanded upon, and a general backstory wouldnt hurt either.

One of my primary head canons is that the reason Falchion was sealed was as a punishment from Naga for Chrom's father using it to lead a campaign of bloodshed.

One of my primary head canons is that the reason Falchion was sealed was as a punishment from Naga for Chrom's father using it to lead a campaign of bloodshed.

It's certainly possible. Naga doesn't say anything about when or why Falchion was sealed.

But Chrom doesn't seem to realize that it's sealed until Naga tells him so, which would seem odd if it was sealed so recently. It's not a critical plot hole, but it would have to be taken into account by anyone writing that into a prequel.

Because Anri was around some 1,000 years after Falchion was made (and Falchion was carved, not forged).

Also Anri did his hero thing solo. In order to get an actual game out of it you'd need to take the other heroes into account-- Iote, Ordwin and Cartas. Which could be interesting, what with all the political backstabbing and the love triangle, but might be kind of anticlimactic when these guys have all been slogging away and then Anri shows up with his magic sword and wins everything.

Anyway, I don't see it happening. New world, new continent pl0x.

FE7?

I also mentioned a game being about Chrom's father(which in this conversation would be parallel to Eliwood in a sense), so no, I'm not talking about one generation forward or back.

What I meant by historical is I mean, for instance, a game starring Rolan, Athos, etc, going through the scouring.

Edited by L95

Why would Chrom's dad need a sword used specifically to slay dragons in order to lead a campaign of bloodshed? How would sealing it stop him or be a detriment to that activity in any way?

Why would Chrom's dad need a sword used specifically to slay dragons in order to lead a campaign of bloodshed? How would sealing it stop him or be a detriment to that activity in any way?

How would you like to go down in history as the guy who broke your greatest national treasure? Chrom's dad was a jerk, but he thought he was in the right, and his Knight Templar viewpoint would hold damaging the Falchion (or any other artifact of Naga) to be quite blasphemous.

Fuck if I know. I don't believe the Falchion is used just to slay Dragons though. It's a strong sword that's super effective against dragons.

I'm saying when his dad did the whole oppressor thing, he did it with the Falchion in hand.