What Starter Type Do You Typically Choose?

Captain Karnage

What starter type do you typically choose?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. What starter type do you typically choose

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kanto: Squirtle>Charmander>Bulbasaur

Johto: Totodile>Cyndaquil>Chikorita

Hoenn: Treecko>Mudkip>Torchic

Sinnoh: Piplup>Turtwig>Chimchar

Unova: Oshawott>Tepig>Snivy

Kalos: Chespin/Froakie>Fennekin

So usually, I go with the Water starter. I struggle when deciding between Squirtle and Charmander, though. And when it comes to Kalos, I pick Chespin because that one girl gives you a Froakie at the end of the game if you've chosen Chespin as your starter at the beginning of the game, so I slyly get both my favorites from that region.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

I can't really say I have a preference. It was Charmander in Kanto, Cyndaquil in Johto, Treecko in Hoenn, Piplup (my favorite starter) in Sinnoh, and Snivy in Unova. There was also Chespin for Kalos, but I hate Chesnaught so much I ended up ditching him for Charizard as my lead party member instead midway through the game.

Edited by Ambulz

I choose Charmander in Kanto, sometimes Cyndaquil sometimes Totodile in Johto after that water all the way.

I would personally always want to go with the Fire type, but sadly, I didn't like some of them (or more specifically, their evolved forms. Torchic and Tepig themselves are alright to me, but their evolved forms are ugly as hell. I find Charizard to be weird-looking as well, though my dislike for it has gone down some because of Mega Charizard X. :P). But I've almost never picked the Water type. Piplup is the only one I actually ever chose at the start of the game and that was before I discovered the awesomeness that Chimchar evolves into. I just never liked the other Water types enough.

So yeah, I usually pick either Fire or Grass.

Edited by Anacybele

Always a mixed a bag for me, so I did a little poll of my own for each gen.

First time picks for each gen were:

Gen 1: Charmander

Gen 2: Cyndaquil

Gen 3: Mudkip

Gen 4: Turtwig

Gen 5: Snivy

Gen 6: Fennekin

Fire's been picked 50% of the time so far, but on the first playthrough its mostly based on aethestics, and following playthroughs based on what team composition I want to have. So yeah, I really do like them all to a degree.

Edited by Silver Lightning

Voted Water, though in reality, I might pick any starter type, for the most part (other than in Hoenn, where decent Water types are hard to come by for most of the game).

Voted Water, though in reality, I might pick any starter type, for the most part (other than in Hoenn, where decent Water types are hard to come by for most of the game).

That's ironic. Doesn't Hoenn have the most water out of all of the other regions?

I mean, even IGN thinks it has too much water. *gets shot*

The cute one nowadays, though used to pick fire quite often when I first started playing until there were fire fighters for three straight gens.

torchic best starter *flees*

Too Much Water Bro.

Actually a valid point. Water is an incredibly common Pokémon type. Which would make the Grass starter consistently the correct choice if the Grass type didn't suck so much . . .

torchic best starter *flees*

Blaziken is undoubtedly the coolest Fire/Fighter, while Infernape the least cool. But Flying and Psychic both beat Fighting, and Cyndaquil is the best starter anyway.

Edited by Tamarsamar

That's ironic. Doesn't Hoenn have the most water out of all of the other regions?

I mean, even IGN thinks it has too much water. *gets shot*

True. Knowing that, I wouldn't expect the quality of early Water types in Hoenn to be so... lackluster.

I usually choose the 'coolest' ones, and if I try to remember my starters...

Gen I: Charmander

Gen II: Cyndaquil

Gen III: Treeko

Gen IV: Chimchar

Gen V: Snivy

Gen VI: Froakie

So most of 'cooler' starters are fire type.

Plus most of the chosen ones look cooler when they evolve.

Edited by Hyperthrough