Cordelia

How do I say it? I don't. I live in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking) and have met literally three people over the past year (IRL) who know what Fire Emblem is. How would I say it... I have no clue.

But on the topic of pronunciation, it always bugged me that they changed Akaneia to Ylisse in Awakening. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why they did that when they're right in the same spot, and could have just kept the old name to strengthen ties to other games. Then, one day, I was bored and actually watched the ending credits again (paying attention this time) and I noticed that Stahl was referred to as "an Ylissean Knight..." I had no clue how Ylisse was pronounced, but seeing that made me wonder if it was named after Marth's sister Elice. Didn't Mystery of the Emblem end with Nyna passing her kingdom to Marth's family?

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

How do I say it? I don't. I live in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking) and have met literally three people over the past year (IRL) who know what Fire Emblem is. How would I say it... I have no clue.

But on the topic of pronunciation, it always bugged me that they changed Akaneia to Ylisse in Awakening. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why they did that when they're right in the same spot, and could have just kept the old name to strengthen ties to other games. Then, one day, I was bored and actually watched the ending credits again (paying attention this time) and I noticed that Stahl was referred to as "an Ylissean Knight..." I had no clue how Ylisse was pronounced, but seeing that made me wonder if it was named after Marth's sister Elice. Didn't Mystery of the Emblem end with Nyna passing her kingdom to Marth's family?

Hmmm...

Ylisse = Japanese Iris.

Sumia says "For Ylisse!" in one of her critical quotes, it would be in your best interest to find footage of it.

Rule #1 of Japanese games: never take the localized name as reference for anything.

Anyway I pronounce Cordelia in a different way due to my native language and I think it sounds far better in a Latin language like mine. ^^

Edited by Malebolganone

Sumia says "FOR YLISSE" in one of her cut-ins. So she says it as "Ee-lees" (with a slight Y sound, as in Yggdrasil.)

Hmmm...

Ylisse = Japanese Iris.

Sumia says "For Ylisse!" in one of her critical quotes, it would be in your best interest to find footage of it.

Rule #1 of Japanese games: never take the localized name as reference for anything.

Anyway I pronounce Cordelia in a different way due to my native language and I think it sounds far better in a Latin language like mine. ^^

Sumia says "FOR YLISSE" in one of her cut-ins. So she says it as "Ee-lees" (with a slight Y sound, as in Yggdrasil.)

Actually, in all honesty, I don't recall them mentioning the name of the Eastern continent at all. Ylisse is just one country on it, like Plegia and Regna Ferox. The continent itself isn't named.

On topic, I generally pronounce her English name "Core-DEE-lee-uh".

Edited by Starlight36

Say'ri says something about "If the nation of Valm had not shared its name with our continent, one might almost forget it existed..."

The continent isn't named in-game, but the presence of Naga, Falchion (Naga's, not Doma's), and the Fire Emblem (along with the five Gemstones), as well as being in the same world as Valencia/Valm are circumstantial evidence enough. Then there's Lucina dressing as Marth; based on the DLC Chrom knows who the heroes of all the past FEs are but Marth is the only one referenced in game.

In response to the first paragraph, I concur that I was wrong and I amended my post.

As for the second one, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say? The two continents are undeniably Archanea/Akaneia and Valentia; this is pretty clearly canon.

What I'm saying post-correction is that while Valentia has come to be known as Valm, Archanea/Akaneia's present name isn't ever mentioned. We're only given the names of (the only?) three countries currently on it.

...Having a little "world introduction" thing like all the other FEs have at the beginning/in between the Premonition and the Prologue would have solved all of this.

Edited by Starlight36

I guess I might be the only one who pronounces it cor-DAY-lee-ah. Its just the first way I read the name, and if memory serves, it is never spoken in-game so I have no reason to call her anything else.

I could be wrong though, and I was pretty much incorrect on the pronunciation of every name in Path of Radiance until Radiant Dawn came out with those fantastic voice-overs on the world maps. I used to say Begnion with a hard G sound and more annunciation on the I and O as separate (like BEG-ni-en). Then Radiant Dawn came out and told me it sounded more like "onion"... Whoops.

But yeah, I say it with an A sounding e...

I prefer Tiamo, and often catch mysel.referring to her as such, even to my friends here in tx who know nothing about NOJ names

Generally I just pronounce things the way I first read them in my head until otherwise given a canon pronunciation. I mean, there's no reason not to, it makes sense to me and I know who I'm talking about so unless its pretty clear from in-game speech, then I just go with my original. It's like as previously noted with the pronunciation of Ylisse.

Also the pronunciation of "Regna Ferox" confuses me because I first read it as "fer-OH," but they refer to citizens and soldiers of the country as "Feroxi" soldiers, which would point more towards a hard X sound at the end, something like "fer-OX"