Rey's FE13 Save Hacking Adventures

shadowofchaos

Oh shoot! Note to mods: If this is preferable to be moved to the ROM Hacking section, please do!

I wanted Savedatafiler to work for cartridges so I said screw it and installed the buggy Palantine CFW on my SD Card emuNaND.

More on that here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-4-5-sysnand-4-5-cfw-9-4-emunand-without-gateway.378721/

tumblr_nk5jg8lgD91rmzb08o1_400.pngtumblr_nk5jg8lgD91rmzb08o2_400.png

Gateway saves can be transferable from the cartridge and vice-versa by renaming your *OWN* ripped copy from .3ds to .3dz and the savegame backup feature by simply renaming it to the correct title ID ".sav"

It can be looked up here: http://3ds.essh.co/

For example, Fire Emblem: Kakusei is AFEJ.sav <--> 0004000000072000.sav

But apparently, Savedatafiler with Gateway does not work with Card1 saves (which Awakening is).

tumblr_nk5k4n0LaH1rmzb08o3_r1_400.png

You get crap like this, namely the "CTR is broken" error because of the way Gateway ROMs handle saves.

If I wanted to actually screw around with it, this would require all this roundabout crap with making a .CIA of the rom... decrypting it so I can use this complicated process and--- it just wasn't worth it. I went CFW route.

For the first thing I'm going to do with it...

tumblr_nk5k4n0LaH1rmzb08o2_1280.png

I've already succeeded in editing the save to display a later file, but was actually just a new game. So it's the first part.

tumblr_nk5k4n0LaH1rmzb08o1_400.png

So for this one file... which we assume is Chapter0...

I have two copies to get the "skill slots".

One is a regular one:

tumblr_nk5jg8lgD91rmzb08o3_400.png

Another is the EXACT same save (decrypted) logicaly because it has the same file powersaved to have Belinda have Dual Support+.

I would assume it is the ONLY value changed.

tumblr_nk5jg8lgD91rmzb08o6_1280.png

tumblr_nk5jg8lgD91rmzb08o5_400.png

And now... I'm gonna go do that.

This thread is a "log" as well as discussion and any other endeavors you guys might have. This is assuming you'd be working with the English version (which I also have access to).

I am working with the Japanese version because I want my Atashi 2 MU. And I love that copy better because Japanese doesn't have the voice bug anyways (Blah blah blah reasons I've said before).

If you want the first two save decrypts I have here are the zip files for them:

Original

Dual Support Hacked

Edited by shadowofchaos

Could I use this to marry Nowi and Chrom together? Manakete Lucina would be awesome.

Most important question: Can it be used on the NA version?

Edited by The Dark Armorknight

Could I use this to marry Nowi and Chrom together? Manakete Lucina would be awesome.

Most important question: Can it be used on the NA version?

Ummm... Savedatafiler is used to decrypt any game. Yes it obviously can work on your NA version.

And hold your horses, we haven't even gotten to the point of modifying a single skill yet.

HLv0wPC.png

Because there was more than one thing changed. Not just a single value.

Hmm...

This is a question about this out of curiosity (not sure if it's been answered) , will it be possible to hack certain character only weapons (Falchion) onto other characters? (Would love to see MU use the Exalted Falchion)

This is a question about this out of curiosity (not sure if it's been answered) , will it be possible to hack certain character only weapons (Falchion) onto other characters? (Would love to see MU use the Exalted Falchion)

I'm not sure weapon qualities and attributes are saved.

Those are probably interpreted in the game itself (at least from my experience with Radiant Dawn) and can only be removed via RAM hacking or ROM hacking.

But apparently, Savedatafiler with Gateway does not work with Card1 saves (which Awakening is).

tumblr_nk5k4n0LaH1rmzb08o3_r1_400.png

You get crap like this, namely the "CTR is broken" error because of the way Gateway ROMs handle saves.

If I wanted to actually screw around with it, this would require all this roundabout crap with making a .CIA of the rom... decrypting it so I can use this complicated process and--- it just wasn't worth it. I went CFW route.

There's actually a very easy way to get savedatafiler to work with Card1 on Gateway. You have to rename the Card1 save you want to edit to 000400000FF40A00.sav (which is savedatafiler's titleid) and then mount the rom with Gateway. After you do so CTR card should no longer show up as broken. It worked for me with Smash Bros., but I haven't tried it with my retail save yet. Although, according to this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-export-import-gateway-card1-sav-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/it's use with retail saves is sketchy :(

Because there was more than one thing changed. Not just a single value.

Hmm...

Nah, that's definitely just a single value that's been changed. All the garbage to the right is what you get when you turn the hex value into unicode (or at least the second byte of it- your modified value of '3F' corresponds to '?', while unicode for '?' is 003F). So those two characters you're seeing changed are actually the same thing.

Nah, that's definitely just a single value that's been changed. All the garbage to the right is what you get when you turn the hex value into unicode (or at least the second byte of it- your modified value of '3F' corresponds to '?', while unicode for '?' is 003F). So those two characters you're seeing changed are actually the same thing.

Download the two and take a look for yourself?

Care to explain it a little bit more?

nyTFNiq.png

This is the first difference.

I changed it back to the original value and nothing actually happened.

There's actually a very easy way to get savedatafiler to work with Card1 on Gateway. You have to rename the Card1 save you want to edit to 000400000FF40A00.sav (which is savedatafiler's titleid) and then mount the rom with Gateway. After you do so CTR card should no longer show up as broken. It worked for me with Smash Bros., but I haven't tried it with my retail save yet. Although, according to this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-export-import-gateway-card1-sav-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/it's use with retail saves is sketchy :(

I see... but it's a lot easier for me to actually just pop in the CFW emuNAND SD card.

Less hassle for me.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I started from 0x80 to 0xAB0 (looked like a block of 0xFFs to separate data) and pasted the Second Save File's data.

IKrD8jx.png

So from my endeavors the first time... it looks like all the save "display" on the menu is only up to 0x80.

Because when I loaded this:

qysehG0.png

It pretty much loaded the second slot (Chapter1) which is the Lunatic Plus save... with all the relevant unit data.

N8VpnTP.png29KEnJi.png

Belinda was nowhere to be found.

So there you're modifying file 1's contents to be file 2's, just keeping the old file 1 header, right?

If so, then what happens if you try entering a chapter? Will the enemies be Hard or L+? Also try playing it for a minute (doing nothing), saving to update playtime and then dumping it again to see what changed.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

if you are using savedatafiler, i'd assume FE:A has different "files" within that save file for all the different save files.

You'd be able to extract just the single file i think.

I'd get both the entire decrypted save and the file for just save slot 1 so i'd be able to locate where save1 is.

The beginning is probably "save0" which, based on other games, would probably be extra data like your support logs, logbook characters, renown, ect....

I haven't looked into this game's saves myself yet though, this is just based off of my experience with other games with multiple save slots.

if you are using savedatafiler, i'd assume FE:A has different "files" within that save file for all the different save files.

You'd be able to extract just the single file i think.

I'd get both the entire decrypted save and the file for just save slot 1 so i'd be able to locate where save1 is.

The beginning is probably "save0" which, based on other games, would probably be extra data like your support logs, logbook characters, renown, ect....

I haven't looked into this game's saves myself yet though, this is just based off of my experience with other games with multiple save slots.

"Global" is support data, logbook, and "global" renown you start with on New Game.

Chapter0, Chapter1, Chapter2 is the first, second, and third save slots respectively.

Map0 and Map1 are Battle saves.

I've tested this by copying decrypted files from different "complete saves".

Edited by shadowofchaos

"Global" is support data, logbook, and "global" renown you start with on New Game.

Chapter0, Chapter1, Chapter2 is the first, second, and third save slots respectively.

Map0 and Map1 are Battle saves.

I've tested this by copying decrypted files from different "complete saves".

Could you theoretically make it to where say, the MU has S-supports with all the women?

so how would one go about changing the amount of gold? searching directly for the hex converted gold value yields nothing.

Life has been happening and haven't had the time I wanted to look into this. I'm guessing there is a compression scheme or something. I've been looking at Gen 6 Pokemon save documentation. No clues so far.

Life has been happening and haven't had the time I wanted to look into this. I'm guessing there is a compression scheme or something. I've been looking at Gen 6 Pokemon save documentation. No clues so far.

Ahh well. Luckily i have the DLC, grinding golden gaffe now.

For gold values, you search it in reverse

same for all other values.

999999 is

00 0F 42 3F

you search for 3F 42 0F 00

And have you tried it?

I had 2044 gold which is 07FC.

I searched for FC07 and nada.