Translation patches

VincentASM

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I'm not too sure what you meant there : o

I mirror'd the patch here, where it's stored in a zip file.

It's starting to have an effect, but it won't start.... At least something is now happening.

Never mind, it's a success!

Edited by Kintenbo

Y'know, I kinda wanted to keep doing some work with the Monshou translation/script editing (Especially now that I got a ROM Copier and need to figure out how to get it to load without the menus and battle text glitching and spazzing... For reference, the Seisen translation doesn't seem to want to boot at all, but the Thracia translation plays identically to how it's emulated.)

Would there be any new topics for that sort of work, or am I moving elsewhere for it?

I kind of put an end to the script revision, since the script is kind of flawed to begin with (it was my first full translation and I didn't really expect it to be used in something big, even though I was the one who asked RPGuy if I could help).

However, if you think it's worth improving, you could make a new topic for it. I'll also see if I can get in contact with RPGuy as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Say, can anybody give me a zipped version of the Fire Emblem 4 patch? (since the link to the one in this thread is unzipped) I've been dying for a much better translation than what I used. (it couldn't even make it through the entire game, freezing sometime in the epilogue)

Meh, I'm trying the 8.7 one. I trust this one is still mostly translated and can get through all the game, right?

Edited by Kintenbo

I'm fairly sure the Epilogue isn't translated in any version of the patch. You'll have to read the transcripts online.

But will it at least make it through it, albeit in Japanese or gibberish? I want one that can at least not freeze by the time they talk about Verdane in the epilouge. Still, the 8.7 one is doing much better than the last one. (doesn't say "gibberish NBLARP" when I capture a castle, or call staves bows)

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to get the Thracia 776 patch to work, but haven't had much luck yet. First of all, why are there three IPS files? The filenames suggest that they're all different versions of the patch, but there's no explanation as to what the cryptic 'ROM, H-ROM, and NP' mean. I tried the first and third files, with the same name as my game in the same directory as ZSSNES, but the game just doesn't load.

The second file worked....kinda. See below:

fireemblem5trachia776j0v.png

In the beginning of chapter 1, the second line of the script doesn't have the standard down arrow to proceed to the next line of text, and the game is essentially frozen. None of the buttons will make the text go to the next line. I managed to hit START (skipping the watching of the plot before chapter 1 starts :-( ) when the first line of the pre-chapter 1, which works correctly, only to see this when I tried inspecting a character:

fireemblem5trachia776j0.png

Also, the game seems to freeze when I try to engage in combat...

ps - I tried both soft and hard patching with the same results.

pps - I checked to make sure my copy of the ROM works unpatched (it does)

Edited by sigurd773

I had the same problem you had except I got it to work with the H-ROM version of the patch.

I assume H-ROM either means HiROM (which I have no clue what that means) or headered ROM. If it's the latter, the issue is probably because your ROM has a header. In which case, you could try downloading WindHex or SNESTool and use the Remove SNES Header function.

Then try applying either of the NP or ROM versions of the patch.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest downloading a ROM from a different site to see if you get any better results.

I had the same problem you had except I got it to work with the H-ROM version of the patch.

I assume H-ROM either means HiROM (which I have no clue what that means) or headered ROM. If it's the latter, the issue is probably because your ROM has a header. In which case, you could try downloading WindHex or SNESTool and use the Remove SNES Header function.

Then try applying either of the NP or ROM versions of the patch.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest downloading a ROM from a different site to see if you get any better results.

Thank you very much for your help! I used the 'delete header' function of SNESTool and the NP version of the patch works perfectly! :-)

I've tried to patch FE6, but without success. Gah. What am I doing wrong...?

If you're soft patching, hard patch. and vice versa.

If you're soft patching, hard patch. and vice versa.
FE6 it's simply better to hardpatch it IMO. Try that first if you're soft-patching.

Hmm...Maybe VincentASM can tell me how to do that. Because I honestly have no idea.

Soft-patching is when you have both file names the same, and the emulate patches the game as it's loaded into the RAM. This would be 'fe3.smc' and 'fe3.ips' as an example. The changes only exist while the names are the same, with no affect on the actual data.

Hard-patching is when you directly apply the patch to the ROM file, changing the data itself. It will always be changed, unless you apply a reversion patch to negate said-changes. Generally, this can be "fool-proof" in that the only error is if the patch was incorrectly applied or wrong.

Edited by Celice

It might be a good idea to describe "how" the patch isn't working. There are only two ways in which it doesn't work though.

1. The game is still in Japanese. This points to either soft-patching isn't working (i.e your emulator doesn't support soft-patching or the ROM and patch names aren't actually set to be the same), you're patching the wrong file or you're loading the wrong file to play.

2. The game has been modified, but something doesn't work properly, eg. it freezes at the beginning or at a later point. This means you've patched the game, but patched it incorrectly somehow. It could be a header issue, a ROM compatability issue (eg. different versions of the same game, different language versions) or you could be using a zip/rar/7z file as a patch...

It might be a good idea to describe "how" the patch isn't working. There are only two ways in which it doesn't work though.

1. The game is still in Japanese. This points to either soft-patching isn't working (i.e your emulator doesn't support soft-patching or the ROM and patch names aren't actually set to be the same), you're patching the wrong file or you're loading the wrong file to play.

2. The game has been modified, but something doesn't work properly, eg. it freezes at the beginning or at a later point. This means you've patched the game, but patched it incorrectly somehow. It could be a header issue, a ROM compatability issue (eg. different versions of the same game, different language versions) or you could be using a zip/rar/7z file as a patch...

It's the first one. And I set the ROM and patch names to be the same. Also, what are the steps to hard-patching, again? And since you mentioned it, what file am I supposed to be trying to patch? I did it once, but forgot...

Edited by Jonathan Aulin

Can you print screen the folder that holds your ROM and patch files?

To hard patch, you need to download a patching program like LunarIPS, IPSWin, etc.

I have no idea how to print screen.

I already have IPSWin.

There should be a Print Screen button on your keyboard. It's typically near the very top right. You just press that (or CTRL + Print Screen) and then paste the image onto Paint or some other image editing program.

If you have IPSWin, just open it and do what it says : P

There should be a Print Screen button on your keyboard. It's typically near the very top right. You just press that (or CTRL + Print Screen) and then paste the image onto Paint or some other image editing program.

If you have IPSWin, just open it and do what it says : P

OK.

I already did what IPSWin said. The issue with that is that the game is still in Japanese. Could it be my emulator...?

It shouldn't be your emulator.

Are you definitely loading the right game? Is it the main dialogue that's still in Japanese?

In any case, a print screen might come in handy. Might.

It shouldn't be your emulator.

Are you definitely loading the right game? Is it the main dialogue that's still in Japanese?

In any case, a print screen might come in handy. Might.

The title screen's still in Japanese.

Did you check the main dialogue though?

I know the really old versions of the FE6 patch still have the Japanese logos, if that's what you're referring to. I don't think you would be able to find them though o__o