Othin Plays FE13!

Othin

Another thing I like: the big players are already showing their faces. As of just the start of Ch5, I had already met Fauder, Masked Marth, Basilio, Flavia, Gangrel, and Inverse.

Perhaps you could give insight into the units. Like list their strength and weaknesses and perhaps give your opinion in them?

Krom is crazy. I've been having him stick with Falchion for convenience and he still one-rounds a lot of enemies, even outside of Double.

I made Othin into a mage mostly (+Mag -HP for the hell of it), and he's also really good. His tomes are weak, but his Mag is high enough that he hits enemies hard anyway. Same goes for Miriel; she's fantastic, and she seems to have been doubling more, at least before Othin promoted. Othin's Sword rank is still at E, which restricts him to Bronze Swords, though. Not using a weapon type can really leave it screwed for a while.

As expected, Sol is a bit of a tanky knight, while Soiree is faster. I've generally been seeing Soiree as more effective so far for doubling stuff and helping other characters double. They both can wind up behind in one of their weapon types and only able to use Bronze weapons, so watch out for that. At least they gain WExp fast.

Callum pretty much is Def. He gives it as a buff to other characters, and he can tank ridiculously as himself, especially since he gets even more Def from Sol and Soiree. I had Soiree sit on him in Ch5 and he was able to tink an axe hit and took just 1 damage from the boss. In Ga2, I used Sol with him, and his Def went up even higher, all the way to 20; I think it was 14 without his +2 Def skill and without Sol's bonus. The boss could still damage him there as well, but just for two damage, and he tinked another one of the Brigands around.

Ronke is Spd, similarly. I've only used him in Ga2 so far, and really just to sit on Sol and give him a crazy +5 Spd. The doubling potential with characters boosted by him is ridiculous.

Liz got 6 Str by LV7. I'm not sure whether it's just weird luck or what. Either way, I may have to reconsider my plan to make her a Sage.

Donny seems awful so far. I spent all of Ga1 trying to get him the three kills he needed to level up and join, and it was much more difficult than I expected because enemies kept being weakened enough that my other characters would kill them in one hit but Donny couldn't kill them at all. Then when he finally leveled up, he just gained three stats. Might have just been bad luck, though; my other characters have been averaging at least +4 stats on level ups.

How's Sol holding up (stats/growths,etc)? I really want to use him a lot in my game (it's almost here~), but I have seen absolutely 0 talk about the guy on any website.

He's good and tanky, but Soiree seems better. Haven't been keeping track of growths other than that they're high.

If you do take pictures, could you take a picture of Chambray and Renha?

Could you give us details on Valhart's Overlord class?s

And, if at all possible, could you find out i the characters recruitable in a second playthrough is true?

I'm not planning on using Velvet, so I don't expect to get Chambray, at least until postgame. Who's Renha? I forget.

I will find out everything I can about Valhart. and the second playthrough characters, as well as any possibility of a postgame.

Watching the playthrough on that JRPG channel, it seems like the player only attacks at 1-range with most characters, losing out on an enemy phase. Are Javelins and Hand Axes somehow lacking in accessibility for a while?

And about Frederick, how high are his base stats, namely defence, since he comes as a prepromote in a class with the second highest base defence. Are his growths more of an Oifaye's or a Jeigan's? Have you noticed if any characters have negative absolute base stats like in FE DS?

Javelins and Hand Axes are really weak, even weaker than in FE12: 2/3 Mt, respectively. They're also not too common. They have uses, but they're limited. Short Spears and Short Axes seem more useful, but I don't have any yet. They seem to actually be available eventually, though, unlike Spears and Tomahawks.

I don't think I've had Frederick fight once yet; he's too boring and easy. So I can't say about his growths. He was able to give a big Def bonus to Liz when I was fielding him, though, since that's all I ever really had him do until I needed the deployment slots for characters I was actually using him.

Liz's base Res seems to be 5, one point below the Cleric's base of 6.

im thinking about buying this games eu version, my question is does the language barrier hamper the game at all? i was able to play new mystery in Japanese but this game seems to have alot more stuff in it. thank you

There's some briefly confusing stuff with the new commands, but it's not much more difficult than playing other games in the series in Japanese, especially once you've gotten used to it. I haven't been finding it to be a problem, but then anything would look easy after having to feel my way through Berwick Saga.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody been recording characters' bases as well (stats and ranks)?

I'm also kinda worried about growths in this game. Since nobody can quite look into a 3DS ROM, will we ever know what the base growths for characters are?

Edited by Espinosa

Have you gotten any spot pass characters yet? I'm kind of curious about their appearance considering the lack of in game screenshots or videos featuring them.

The guest enemies and allies in Marth's chapter only have unique hair colors, with their clothing color depending on the faction (red for enemies, green for allies). So, does every spotpass unit in your party ends up with blue armor/clothing, following that pattern, or do they actually have their own personal colors? I mean I guess many would be generic blue anyway (especially looking at the FE4 cast), but some should have other main colors.

Edited by NeonZ

I'm also kinda worried about growths in this game. Since nobody can quite look into a 3DS ROM, will we ever know what the base growths for characters are?

Pray to the guidebook gods. That's how FE10's growths were revealed, before people figured out how to hack the Wii. Then we found out one or two growth rates were wrong in the guidebooks...

Since nobody can quite look into a 3DS ROM

Is this even true? People have dumped 3DS ROMs in the past, there's just been little reason to with no way to play them. I would expect that someone who knows what they're doing would be able to find some information if someone dumped the ROM.

I haven't checked the 3DS hacking scene lately, but AFAIK 3DS ROMs are encrypted so even if you dump them, there's nothing to read from them. Same thing happened with the Wii ISOs, until the Wii encryption got cracked.

Played through the end of Ch10 and the rest of the first four Gaidens. Also played another skirmish. This one was odd because a group of Dracoknights showed up, then I ignored it, then later a group of Zombie shows up on the same spot. So on the map, there was both a Dracoknight and a Zombie standing around the same spot - one to the lower left, one to the lower right. When I actually played the map, it was especially dense in terms of enemies, and had two bosses, one from each group. The Zombies were those footless enemies from that one video: they hit hard, but they's not too accurate. I guess even though they don't appear much in normal maps, they show up from time to time in skirmishes. There were also two enemies dropping gold that I was able to sell for 1000 each, I guess because of the two groups. I also got a Brave Axe after finishing the battle, not sure why. Haven't been able to finish it yet.

Some time after this, another enemy appeared for another skirmish, but I ignored it. This was on the Ch2 map, which was also the site of the other two skirmishes, and it was getting stale. Eventually, playing further through the story, that skirmish disappeared, and two more appeared in other locations. I haven't gone to them, and I'm not planning on it.

Anyway, with all of this, my characters have been gaining a lot of levels, with a lot of Master Seals and Change Seals to toss around. I'm quickly finding that the class system isn't a small branching tree like in FE8; it's a whole weird web, since characters have so many opportunities to change class throughout the game. Class changes I've made so far:

Othin: Strategist --> Grandmaster

Soiree: Cavalier --> Great Knight

Callum: Knight --> Great Knight

Liz: Cleric --> Sage

Krom: Lord --> Cavalier

Sol: Cavalier --> Myrmidon

Vake: Fighter --> Barbarian

Tiamo: Pegasus Knight --> Mercenary

The characters I used Change Seals on are definitely gaining Exp as if their original levels were retained, but the ones I used Master Seals on seem to be gaining Exp even slower. So the game definitely keeps track of total levels, but there also seems to be some penalty for being promoted.

I also have no less than three Rescue staffs, each with five uses, and Anna showed up selling a fourth, but she disappeared before I felt like buying one. I had bought another earlier, though. Even though Liz is getting the range where they could actually be useful, I haven't used any of them yet.

Another random thing I noticed is that characters' Double bonuses don't seem to be dependent on the character they jump on. As long as support level is constant, one character will give the same bonuses, at least at a given time. I wonder what determines them, then...

The game is getting really easy again, but I've still found uses for weird strategies, especially with the ridiculous Double system. I see some promoted enemies in Ch11, though, so maybe it'll start getting difficult again?

Has anybody been recording characters' bases as well (stats and ranks)?

http://www.mirupage.com/fe13/ch_param.html

Doesn't have growth rates, though.

Have you gotten any spot pass characters yet? I'm kind of curious about their appearance considering the lack of in game screenshots or videos featuring them.

The guest enemies and allies in Marth's chapter only have unique hair colors, with their clothing color depending on the faction (red for enemies, green for allies). So, does every spotpass unit in your party ends up with blue armor/clothing, following that pattern, or do they actually have their own personal colors? I mean I guess many would be generic blue anyway (especially looking at the FE4 cast), but some should have other main colors.

Still haven't set up internet. I'll mention when I get it working and can try messing around with SpotPass and DLC.

Hmmm interesting choice making Tiamo a mercenary ,care to explain?

Also how is Krom as a Cavalier?Do you see any difference compared to the stat ups he got as a Lord?

The game is getting really easy again, but I've still found uses for weird strategies, especially with the ridiculous Double system. I see some promoted enemies in Ch11, though, so maybe it'll start getting difficult again?

From what I've seen of a Normal mode playthrough on youtube, the promoted enemies that start showing up more frequently at that point and are more threatening then the unpromoted ones(where only the Mages do much to the characters). Though the player didn't really use the double system at all so it's hard to tell.

Also how is Krom as a Cavalier?Do you see any difference compared to the stat ups he got as a Lord?

I assume he mad her a mercenary so she can get Weapon Saver skill, and Krom is a cavalier so he can get the Discipline skill. That is exactly what I'll do.

Mercenary can promote to Bow Knight, which learns Bow Slayer. She can then bring that skill back to her flying classes and dodge all bow attacks and be amazing. In the meantime, she's kicking ass even with a Bronze Sword.

I haven't been paying much attention to what growths look like, but I know the classes are almost identical in base stats: Lord --> Cavalier just means -1 Spd and +2 Move, aside from gaining lances and Discipline. Krom also lost access to his Rapier since it's tied to the Lord class, but I wasn't too concerned about that; I haven't even used it yet anyway.

From what I've seen of a Normal mode playthrough on youtube, the promoted enemies that start showing up more frequently at that point and are more threatening then the unpromoted ones(where only the Mages do much to the characters). Though the player didn't really use the double system at all so it's hard to tell.

Ooh, good sign.

Really random question, in the options menu, what can you change?

My point is, can you turn off the grid? I don't like the grid >.<''

Haven't tried much yet, sorry. All I know is that you can turn off the tutorial for fast access to Double.

I assume he mad her a mercenary so she can get Weapon Saver skill, and Krom is a cavalier so he can get the Discipline skill. That is exactly what I'll do.

Weapon Saver could be fun, but I'm not thinking about it much at the moment.

I really just made Krom a Cavalier because it was a logical extension of his Lord class. Also, as a Great Knight, he'll learn Luna and Dual Guard+: the latter will combo well with Dual Attack+, and the former works with Royal Weapon and Aether.

Speaking of Discipline, it's ridiculous. Sol already has A swords, and Soiree already has A lances. Krom is also just a couple of hits away from A swords.

On that note, Krom just married Soiree. So it looks like Krom won't be the one most abusing Royal Weapon, not by a long shot.

Did you you choose to marry Soiree or did it just happen? I'm curious to know if accidental marriages can happen.

Krom is forced to marry at the end of Ch11. He hadn't gotten an S support with anyone, but he had increased his support level with Soiree to A. It's a special case for story reasons: all other pairings wait until you specifically select the S support option.

Krom goes with whichever female he has the highest support level with. There's some priority order for tiebreakers, but I don't know what it is. Regardless, if you want to manipulate the tiebreakers, you can just have him not trigger the support conversations if they would change the levels to ones you don't want.

Weapon Saver could be fun, but I'm not thinking about it much at the moment.

Thought you went that way for that initial skill, but yeah, she can put Bowslayer to good use.

I really just made Krom a Cavalier because it was a logical extension of his Lord class. Also, as a Great Knight, he'll learn Luna and Dual Guard+: the latter will combo well with Dual Attack+, and the former works with Royal Weapon and Aether.

Speaking of Discipline, it's ridiculous. Sol already has A swords, and Soiree already has A lances. Krom is also just a couple of hits away from A swords.

Wow, that's fast. Do you know if weapon ranks you lost by re-classing remain? Like if you reclass Tiamo back to pegasus, will she have her Lance rank from before?

And good skill combo for Krom. Can you keep a check on the position of skills before they are transferred to the children? I'm curious if it's the first, last, random or something else that decides what the kids get.

Krom is forced to marry at the end of Ch11. He hadn't gotten an S support with anyone, but he had increased his support level with Soiree to A. It's a special case for story reasons: all other pairings wait until you specifically select the S support option.

Krom goes with whichever female he has the highest support level with. There's some priority order for tiebreakers, but I don't know what it is. Regardless, if you want to manipulate the tiebreakers, you can just have him not trigger the support conversations if they would change the levels to ones you don't want.

The priority for Krom's marriage is mentioned on the site. It's Sumia > Mariabel > Soiree > Olivia > My Unit (female). If Krom can't be with them, then it's an unnamed villager girl.

Thought you went that way for that initial skill, but yeah, she can put Bowslayer to good use.

Wow, that's fast. Do you know if weapon ranks you lost by re-classing remain? Like if you reclass Tiamo back to pegasus, will she have her Lance rank from before?

And good skill combo for Krom. Can you keep a check on the position of skills before they are transferred to the children? I'm curious if it's the first, last, random or something else that decides what the kids get.

Weapon ranks were retained in FE11/12, and in this game, all classes seem to have base weapon ranks of E, so they shouldn't do anything to mess with weapon levels at all. I should be able to confirm this in time, but I really don't think there's any chance of it not being the case.

I'll check about those skills.

The priority for Krom's marriage is mentioned on the site. It's Sumia > Mariabel > Soiree > Olivia > My Unit (female). If Krom can't be with them, then it's an unnamed villager girl.

I remember seeing that, but I also heard something about Olivia being the first priority. Which makes sense, since Olivia joins at the start of Ch11, so Krom can't make any supports with her before marrying, so the only way for her to marry Krom would be through the tiebreaker. So I'm not sure what's true.

Just wondering, do you know if Krom promotes normally or with a story event?

He promotes normally with a Master Seal. He also can use a Change Seal to change to the Archer or Cavalier classes, or their promotions, although he loses access to Rapiers while in those classes. He can also change back with another Change Seal, or change to a different alternate class.

Edited by Othin

Really random question, in the options menu, what can you change?

My point is, can you turn off the grid? I don't like the grid >.<''

Yes, you can turn off the grid. It's the first thing I did - I hate grids too.