Magic the Gathering Mafia - Game Over (Green wins)

Paperblade

It's here!

Or, rather, it's here: http://whatdoesitmean.proboards.com/index.cgi

[spoiler=Rules and Game Information: READ]mc3_pie.jpg

(note how Red is facing the wrong way)

Hosted by Paperblade, cohosted by Kay

In Magic, there are five colors.

White, the color of order.

Blue, the color of knowledge.

Black, the color of power.

Red, the color of emotion.

Green, the color of nature.

White hated Black for being selfish.

Blue hated Red for not thinking.

Black hated Green for being a hippie.

Red hated White for being overbearing.

Green hated Blue for being artificial.

So they all went to war.

0. This is an anonymous multifaction game. Unlike multifaction games we've had in the past, this will (probably) not come down to 3-5 serial killers having a showdown on Day 50 because everyone's win condition is "You win if your faction eliminates all threats" that gets decided by the fact that one person is a bulletproof hitman mayor or (god forbid) priority. No, we have more class than that.

1. This is an OC game. That means you can talk to whoever you want however you want whenever you want wherever you want about whatever you want unless you get told otherwise. I highly recommend IRC: it's free, easy to use, and I'm basically always there for you to harass.

1.5. However, no screenshots. Seriously.

2. All voting and ability targeting is done towards an alias on another forum. Note that you can still talk to people about the game non-anonymously (IRC, AIM, SF PM, etc.), and can lie to them about who you are on the anonymous forum and so on and so forth.

3. If you are dead, you may only talk to your faction for strategy purposes. Knowledge may not be transferred from a dead player to a living player.

3.5. Death is the end for everyone.

4. You can paste things told to you by the hosts. You may fake logs. Do not take pasting of a host conversation as definite proof, these can be faked. If you want to fake a log, feel free to PM one of the hosts for assistance.

5. Vote in ##VERB: ALIAS. If you intend to change your vote, you must post ##Unvote.

6. If you intend to idle, please say so.

7. Ties in lynches will result in no lynch.

8. There is no recruitment.

9. Be active. The first time your team has to send in a day/night action for you and you don't have a good excuse (such as your internet being out due to a snowstorm), I will start looking for a sub for you. Seriously, you have 48 hours to check these forums and tell us by IRC/PM what you're going to do.

10. If you have any spreadsheets, please inform us and let us have access to them so that we can laugh at how utterly wrong you are.

11. If someone is modkilled, they will lose by default. If you are modkilled when you are already going to lose and just want to fuck with the game, I will send Kay to your house to kill you. And she'll do it. (No Proto you are not exempt from this rule; I'll find another way to kill you)

12. The list of players and aliases is 100% complete. In other words, there are no hidden players nor are there any hidden aliases: There are exactly 17 players and 17 aliases. Being a hidden player sucks anyway. Trust me.

13. Similarly, there are no moles. For fuck's sake, your factions aren't that big.

14. Day and night phases will last 48 hours each. Night phases will end early if all actions are in. Day phases will end early if all actions are in and a majority as determined by me is reached. There is no grace period for lynch majority and/or all actions in other than "Is at least one host at their computer with internet access?"

15. If your role PM contradicts any of these rules, your role PM is right. Rules 2, 3.5, 7, 8, 12, 13, and 20 are not contradicted by any role PMs. In other words, I don't think any role PMs actually contradict any rules, but this rule is here just in case. If you have time to be paranoid about "What if hidden players despite rule stating there aren't any," you have time to be paranoid about things actually relevant to the game.

16. This is a multifaction game. There are five factions. Each faction is a mutual enemy with two other factions and is based on one of the colors from Magic, so you can probably figure out who each faction is an enemy with from that.

17. The game will end as soon as a faction has achieved victory. Due to the nature of win conditions, it is possible for multiple factions to win simultaneously.

18. If I find you have somehow found a way to get into someone else's alias or get into their hidden board on the anonymous forum, you will be modkilled and probably killed IRL by Kay. I made this game anonymous because some people would like to live to see Night 2, so don't try to fucking abuse this forum to find out who is who. If you can trick them into telling you who they are or figure out who they are from posting habits, good on you.

19. Don't break the game by abusing loopholes etc.. If you're unsure if something is against the rules, ask. Otherwise, I will assume you had malicious intent. This is your final warning. Seriously.

20. This game starts on Night 0. There are no kills on Night 0. You can share your role PM whenever.

Player List

Dark Sage

eclipse

Haze

Hikarusa

Kaoz

Kevin

Lorddomu

Mysterio

Obviam

Proto

Psych

Raymond

Reinfleche

Rothene

Shinori

Sho

StSS

Alias List

Aerosmith

Billy Joel

Blondie

Cheap Trick

Devo

Dire Straits

Duran Duran

Foreigner

Mama Cass

Oingo Boingo

Queen

Ramones

The Clash

The Doors

The Kinks

The Who

Violent Femmes

Alias information is currently going out. You can change the password for your alias.

As a reminder, if your alias dies, you are dead. Actions and lynch votes target aliases and are posted on the anonymous forum, not here. Think TotA and Train.

Edited by Paperblade

All alias information should be out. Night 0 ends in 48 hours.

If you're having trouble logging in, contact me or Kay. I will be on IRC for the next 6-8 hours unless I get distracted.

Some explanations: Each faction has a private, hidden board that they can post in, which functionally replaces group PMs. You should already have a role PM there. There is also a public forum (called "The Red Zone") where voting and phase updates are done. You can also post here if you want, although votes posted here won't count.

Edited by Paperblade

Also Life is an informed observer and made an account to look around at the private forums, so don't be surprised to see him on

As a reminder for the fiftieth time, there are no hidden players.

Edited by Paperblade

Here's a question. Why aren't people using this thread as the game thread... also? Like ask to be in contact with certain people?

they're retarded and also don't want me to win again

Postgame will be split up into 3 parts

Premise (this post)

Faction/Role Conception (some time later)

Player Analysis (some time even later)

1. The Premise

I came up with the idea for a game like this shortly after Bullshit Mafia, as many players including myself were annoyed by the "Eliminate all other factions" win condition. Some people normally opposed to multifaction showed interest in a game like this, so I went to work. I originally wanted the game to be 22 players, however waning activity with the disappearance/quitting (?) of RD, Wen, Excellen, Weapons, and possibly others I'm forgetting made that a questionable number to achieve, so it became three aliases per faction.

This game was always intended to be an anonymous game because the first time I saw a role whose ability was to have an alt (that being Gob from Troll NOC) I just knew I had to have that in a game. I'm not actually sure if the "no alts" policy would extend to an account for such a purpose, but since anonymity has other benefits such as preventing name targeting and killing which is beneficial to players such as eclipse and Raymond (and me) I want ahead with it.

I went with the theme of MtG because I'm a fan of it and the color pie is very easy to fit as factions. I think I disappointed a lot of fans of the game by only having 6 out of 16 roles be MtG characters, but I like having open themes for games. In case it's not obvious, I'm not a huuuuuge flavor person. The aliases were all bands/artists that I like. So yeah.

Anyway, um... What else? Oh, right!

This game was intended to be strategical: Do you trust your potential allies, or are they just trying to get information out of you to give to their other ally? When one faction is eliminated, their allied factions should have more or less teamed up with their other ally (so when Blue was eliminated, White/Green vs. Red/Black) unless they were very certain they could eliminate both other factions during the same phase. The neutral was intended to keep two factions from teaming up by tricking a third as the nature of his win condition and abilities wanted the game to last a little while, and he was given the tools to do so by having an extra vote, an inspect to find information, and took a lot of extra resources to keep under control as well as people not being able to get information about him unless he wanted to give it to them. But enough about that, I need to have something to talk about in the next section, which will be up... later... I have finals next week, sorry guys.

I would like to say when Paper posts Part 2 that the Wolf was designed beautifully. The only way the Wolf could have won was by prolonging the game and keeping all the factions equal. Which means a ridiculous social and diplomatic game.

Edited by Bblader

• 2 weeks later...

2. Roles and Factions

APPARENTLY ONE OF THE IMAGES IS INVALID ON SF OR SOMETHING. TOO LAZY TO REPLACE IT

First things first: I don't think this game was significantly imbalanced. Yes, Raymond was very unlucky that he got half-randed and hooked. Yes, Jace, Kaczynski, Father, Obi-Wan, and Romeo/Juliet were all strong roles. Yes, I probably should not have given Red the only access to an actual bonus kill. Yes, perhaps there were 1 or 2 too many hooks. But at the same time, this game ended the way it did due to player decisions, and most everyone I've talked to has had different opinions about which faction was the strongest. And as a reminder, the only person I've talked to that thought Green, the only winning faction (in a landslide, mind you) was Haze.

Also, something not as serious because less people were mad about it and stuff. Yeah, not all the characters are from Magic. In fact, only 6 out of 16 are. Personally, I thought it was more interesting to have each faction have a protagonist and antagonist that displays traits of each color, plus a Magic character. I also wanted the game to be 22 players (4 aliases per faction), in which case all the extra roles would have been MtG characters (I was thinking the praetors because some Phyrexia love was sorely missing, but alas). I'm sorry if anyone felt misled by this.

White

No rest. No mercy. No matter what.

White is the color of order, law, and community. Your enemies are Red, the color of emotion, impulse, and freedom, and Black, the color of individualism, power, and death.

At your best, you are just and protective. At your worst, you are fascist and absolute.

Your faction:

eclipse, alias Aerosmith is Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Lorddomu, alias Oingo Boingo is Gideon Jura.

Kaoz, alias Queen is Oceania.

You can kill on Nights 1, 3, 5, and 8. To perform the kill, the leader (the highest living member on the list) responds to this thread with "Night X - Sending TEAMMATE to kill USER." Lower users on the list can send in an order, but it will be overwritten if someone higher sends in an action.

Dear Aerosmith,

You are Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight.

obiwan%20anh.jpg

You are the exiled Jedi Knight of Star Wars fame, and one of the few that survived Emperor Palpatine's takeover. You started Luke Skywalker along the path of the Jedi. You were also in the prequel movies, but those never actually happened.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - ALIAS is not the droids you are looking for." You will stand by ALIAS throughout the night and use a Jedi mind trick on anyone who comes to visit them, convincing them that they're not at the right place. However, they will still want to complete their action, and thus go target a random person instead. Additionally, killers will not be deterred by your ruse.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - If you strike me down now..." If you are lynched, you will become more powerful than anyone could ever imagine, and everyone who voted to lynch you will have their vote negated the following day.

You are allied with the White Planeswalkers. You win if the Black Planeswalkers and the Red Planeswalkers are eliminated and at least one member of your faction is alive.

The night portion of this role served two purposes: To protect teammates from hooks/redirects and to protect the team kill from doctors. The action could be redirected onto any player except for

A. The person originally targeted

B. The person performing the action

The day role was to serve as a deterrence from lynching this role. Due to a combination of its night role and Gideon, this role could be incredibly difficult to kill without losses. Ideally, a successful lynch on this role would give White a free lynch the following day.

Dear Oingo Boingo,

You are Gideon Jura, Hieromancer.

200px-Gideon1.jpg

You're from an unknown plane where you ruined everything. In penance, you joined the Order of Heliud, but after a run-in with Chandra Nalaar, you realized maybe the Order wasn't all it was cracked up to be. You followed her to Zendikar, but she was long gone and the Eldrazi were running rampant. Realizing that they can and will fuck everything up, you decided to get some allies to assist you. You are also a massive badass.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Stand behind me, ALIAS." You will +2 at ALIAS's would-be killers, forcing them to attack you instead. However, since your loyalty is approximately two billion, you won't die.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Get at me, ALIAS." You will attempt to -2 ALIAS. If ALIAS killed or tried to kill someone the previous night, you will slap him around, negating his vote and causing his day action to fail. Otherwise, this ability does nothing.

You are allied with the White Planeswalkers. You win if the Black Planeswalkers and the Red Planeswalkers are eliminated and at least one member of your faction is alive.

For some reason, there's confusion about his night role. He's not a martyr or anything of the sort. That is a straight up doctor with some flavor thrown in (or bodyguard if you're Life, but I like doctor better).

The day ability was because I thought it was interesting and unique and because typically a doctor is not the best role to have in a late game situation in multifaction. This gave him power because it would give him a lot of lynch control if he knew kill nights since there would likely only be like one person per faction to send on kills. I was actually worried it was too luck reliant considering how powerful it could be (ie the same reason I dislike priority mechanics) but that never really came into play.

Dear Queen,

You are Oceania, Fascist State.

1984.jpg?w=195&h=300

You are the country that Nineteen Eighty-Four takes place in. You control the past, present, and future. If you say someone doesn't exist, they never did. Thanks to Newspeak, you have effectively eliminated the individual, which is doubleplusgood, as far as you're concerned.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, ALIAS." You will send the Thought Police after ALIAS, allowing you to learn their deepest thoughts and true feelings, which will give you enough information to construct their full role PM.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Sending ALIAS1 to Room 101." In this PM, include a different alias, ALIAS2. You will torture ALIAS1 all day, forcing them to target ALIAS2 with their night action. This will not redirect kills.

This was actually the only night inspect in the game. I'm not sure if this was a good idea because that made it the only inspect that was seriously susceptible to hooks and the like (as almost every day ability was either lynch related or preparing for the night phase). This did give White a slight edge in that they got information earlier and thus were a bit more informed, though, as the game started at Night.

The day ability was interesting and maybe could have been switched with the night ability if I wanted. It's worth noting that the target would not be told their action was being redirected.

Overall, I think White was a faction that rewarded the ability to gather information due to the day abilities of Gideon and Oceania.

Blue

The fatal flaw in any plan is assuming you know more than your opponent.

Blue is the color of knowledge, thinking, and technology. Your enemies are Green, the color of instinct, nature, and life, and Red, the color of emotion, impulse, and freedom.

At your best, you are smart and progressive. At your worst, you are treacherous and cold.

Your faction:

Kevin, alias Dire Straits is Spock.

Obviam, alias The Who is Jace Beleren.

Rothene, alias Devo is Caulder.

You can kill on Nights 1, 3, 4, and 7. To perform the kill, the leader (the highest living member on the list) responds to this thread with "Night X - Sending TEAMMATE to kill USER." Lower users on the list can send in an order, but it will be overwritten if someone higher sends in an action.

Dear Dire Straits,

You are Spock, Science Officer.

SpockVulcan.jpg

You are the science officer serving under Captain James T. Kirk on the Enterprise from the original Star Trek series (aka the best one, fuck Picard). You are highly logical, and oftentimes struggle to understand the emotional and irrational responses from your friends.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Making ALIAS complete the Kobayashi Maru." ALIAS will spend the entire night trying to complete that simulator. Unfortunately, it's impossible, and ALIAS will waste his night doing nothing instead.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Live long and prosper." Everyone will take this advice to heart, stopping the lynch, no matter who it's targeting. You may only use this ability once per game.

You are allied with the Blue Planeswalkers. You win if the Red Planeswalkers and the Green Planeswalkers are eliminated and at least one member of your faction is alive.

The night ability is a standard hook. Blue is the color of counterspells and saying no you can't do that, it felt natural to give them a hook.

The day ability is the only one shot in the game. This was intended to give blue a bit of day power since they didn't really have any other than lucky twincasts.

Dear The Who,

You are Jace Beleren, Mind Sculptor.

image not valid

You erased your own memory in guilt after you erased your mentor's mind in a fit of rage (not very blue of you). Nowadays, you're the head of the Infinite Consortium and are trying to undermine Nicol Bolas. Also, your hair is completely ridiculous in every depiction of it, so it's probably a good thing you keep your hood up.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Twincast." In this PM, include another ability command. If this is identical (sans the Day/Night) to that of another living player in the game, you will copy that ability with targets of your own choosing. You may not copy your own day action. You may not copy a given ability more than once. Certain abilities cannot be copied.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Reading ALIAS's mind." You will scour ALIAS's memories and thoughts, learning his entire role PM.

You are allied with the Blue Planeswalkers. You win if the Red Planeswalkers and the Green Planeswalkers are eliminated and at least one member of your faction is alive.

Okay, in case you don't know (hint: you don't), I really like universal backup/mimic roles. They give the opportunity to not screw factions over by their cop or whatever getting randed without the boredom of being an actual backup or the op-ness of giving the town multiples of a similar role. So obviously, I am going to like variations of this role. This was one such variation!

The night part of this role would be horribly broken as town in an OC game because if there was ever a town leader for any reason.

This role was intended to also have the potential of getting bonus utility if the player could people to give him role PMs, so I tried not to give his allies anything too powerful to combo with it (the only thing is perhaps the persuade, but that has two targets so the various safeguard-esque actions could stop either half of that).

Also, a list of abilities that it could not copy, for those of you that care:

Obi-Wan's Day ability (this actually would've been okay because he'd need to predict his lynch, but I already thought it was very strong)

Spock's Day ability (just no)

Father's abilities (too difficult to work out)

Ted's Day ability (too powerful)

Emrakul's Night abilities (an extra kill... nope)

He could pick one of Garruk's JoAT day abilities to use.

Dear Devo,

You are Caulder, Head of IDS.

caulder-small.png

You are a scientist from Advance Wars. Unfortunately, you are the unethical kind of scientist that experiments on people just to see what happens. You see the world as your lab, and don't give a damn what others think. You cloned yourself and experimented on the clones, and eventually, the clones rebelled, killing you! They then turned on each other, until one remained--the new you.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Cloning ALIAS." If ALIAS dies that night, it won't matter, because you will have a clone prepared that is indistinguishable from the original! If ALIAS doesn't die, you will take the clone back to your lab for experiments, eventually killing it. You won't clone yourself... not after last time.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Infecting ALIAS." You will inflict ALIAS with Creeping Derangea, a virus that kills its victim by causing flowers to grow from their body. ALIAS will be put into quarantine the following night while a cure is applied, preventing them from performing an action but also preventing them from being targeted by one. You cannot target yourself with this ability.

The kidnap is kind of like a jail effect except it's announced, which has both benefits and drawbacks. Since it means people won't try to do good or bad things to that person... The doc is kind of standard, although it did mean he could theoretically make both of his allies immune to night kills!

Black

Greatness, at any cost.

Black is the color of individualism, power, and death. Your enemies are White, the color of order, law, and community, and Green, the color of instinct, nature, and life.

At your best, you are ambitious and unashamed. At your worst, you are enslaving and devouring.

Your faction is:

Shinori, alias Blondie is John Yossarian.

Proto, alias The Clash is Sorin Markov.

Haze, alias Foreigner is Father.

You can kill on Nights 2, 5, 6, and 8. To perform the kill, the leader (the highest living member on the list) responds to this thread with "Night X - Sending TEAMMATE to kill USER." Lower users on the list can send in an order, but it will be overwritten if someone higher sends in an action.

Dear Blondie,

You are John Yossarian, Bombardier.

Yossarian.jpg

You are the protagonist of Catch-22, in which you are constantly forced to perform more and more missions to complete a tour. You just want to go home, and constantly try to get out of flying up. Unfortunately for you, everyone is trying to kill you and your friends are disappearing left and right...

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - ALIAS is trying to kill me." You will be on your guard against ALIAS all night. As a result, ALIAS and anyone allied with him will not be able to kill you. After this ability successfully stops a kill on your life, it cannot be used again.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Washington Irving votes ALIAS." You will censor a letter to appear as though Washington Irving is voting for ALIAS. This vote is only worth 0.1, although that will increase to 1.1 if your night ability successfully stops a kill.

You are allied with the Black Planeswalkers. You win if the Green Planeswalkers and the White Planeswalkers are eliminated and at least one member of your faction is alive.

Originally, this role was an infinite Rogue and the day ability started at 0.5 and increased by 0.5 every success. This obviously had the potential to be backbreaking late game, so it was nerfed to one success and the numbers tweaked a bit. I think in retrospect this could have been 1 to 1.1 or even to 2.

You will notice Black had a lot of durability. This is because Black is selfish, so I didn't give them any roles that directly buff allies. Instead, Black has a fair amount of vote control and some durability to withstand the night. To continue the theme of a weak night phase, Black also had the worst kill nights (although this is because Kay insisted Black had the best roles).

Dear The Clash,

You are Sorin Markov, Hedonistic Vampire.

200px-Sorin.jpg

You're a vampire, not some sparkling fool that pines for teenage girls. You have class, and you damn well better after living for several thousand years. Long ago, you sealed the Eldrazi on Zendikar. You recently came back to reseal them, except your allies are dead and/or missing. So you decided that maybe this elf, Nissa, could help. As it turns out, no, she can't, since she did the exact opposite of what you wanted, and released them. What the fuck ever, not your problem, you decided, and left.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Possessing ALIAS1." In this PM include a different alias, ALIAS2. The following day, ALIAS1, under your command, will be forced to vote for ALIAS2.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - I had business with ALIAS." You will remember bits of your dealings with ALIAS and piece together his entire role PM.

You are allied with the Black Planeswalkers. You win if the Green Planeswalkers and the White Planeswalkers are eliminated and at least one member of your faction is alive.

Again, a typical inspect. This was almost nerfed to a mere alliance check but I decided that a full PM inspect is the most important and basic ability that every faction should have access to. Persuader is also a strong ability for multifaction, so this was another strong role.

Dear Foreigner,

You are Father, Homunculus.

tumblr_lnzxy0i4q01qdidsso1_500.png

You are the original homunculus from the series Full Metal Alchemist. You convinced the king of Xerxes you could give him eternal life by turning his entire kingdom into an alchemical transmutation circle. As it turns out, the center you told him was slightly off. It wasn't him--it was you. So you got a nice new body and some immortality to boot, and headed on west to Amestris to perform the same thing there--this time to absorb the Truth and become a god.

You have seven children, each named for one of the seven deadly sins. At night and day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night/Day X - Actions."

In this PM, you may include any combination of the following actions (including multiples):

"Sending 5 children to redirect ALIAS1 to ALIAS2." ALIAS1 will be coerced into targeting ALIAS2 with his night action. This does not redirect faction kills.

"Sending 4 children to stop ALIAS's progress." ALIAS's night action will fail.

"Sending 2 children to bribe ALIAS to say what I want." Describe a post restriction that does not prevent ALIAS from voting. This post restriction will be enforced upon ALIAS under threat of death for the following day/night cycle, both on the anonymous forums and in the SF thread.

The number of children sent out on a given phase cannot exceed seven, as you don't have more than seven. If a child is sent out to perform an action, they cannot be sent out the following phase.

Additionally, as long as at least one child is not either resting or out performing an action, you cannot be killed. However, the first attempt on your life in this manner will weaken you to the point where you will have to reabsorb your children to survive, causing you to lose your above abilities.

First, to clarify finally some confusion. Haze modified his role PM to imply he had 7 KPVs when claiming to Rein. This role, as can be seen from the game, did not have 7 KPVs. If the KPV was broken, he lost all seven children no matter what they were doing. His actions for that phase would succeed unless hooked, and he would then basically be a vanilla.

Moving on, this role was... very unique! This is based off of a couple roles that I saw on Smogon that I really liked and is best described as kind of being a mana system. I wanted two fairly good actions and then a weak one, that way he could be a KPV+good action+weak one or some combination of good+weak actions. I gave him a bit of extra action power because losing the KPV meant losing all his abilities. I wanted some way for the number of children he didn't use to matter but outside of giving him potentially 7 KPVs (lolol) that wasn't going to happen.

In retrospect I think I could have thought up something better than a PR or worded the PR's limitations better, as that caused a bit of confusion. The PR was not supposed to be able to prevent the target from voting for who they wanted for, which caused Haze to get angry with me. Sorry.

Red

Of course you fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire.

Red is the color of emotion, impulse, and freedom. Your enemies are Blue, the color of knowledge, thinking, and technology, and White, the color of order, law, and community.

At your best, you are passionate and decisive. At your worst, you are destructive and short-sighted.

Your faction is:

Reinfleche and Hikarusa, alias Violent Femmes are Romeo and Juliet.

Sho, alias The Doors is Chandra Nalaar.

Psych, alias Ramones is The Joker.

You can kill on Nights 2, 4, 6, and 8. To perform the kill, the leader (the highest living member on the list) responds to this thread with "Night X - Sending TEAMMATE to kill USER." Lower users on the list can send in an order, but it will be overwritten if someone higher sends in an action.

Dear Violent Femmes,

You are Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet, Star-crossed Lovers.

romeoandjuliet.jpg

Two households, both alike in dignity,

In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,

From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,

Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.

From forth the fatal loins of these two foes

A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;

Whose misadventured piteous overthrows

Do with their death bury their parents' strife.

The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,

And the continuance of their parents' rage,

Which, but their children's end, nought could remove,

Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;

The which if you with patient ears attend,

What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend.

Since you are a couple, you are two users under one alias: USER1 and USER2.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Getting Friar Lawrence to poison ALIAS." You will sneak ALIAS some of that poison that makes him appear to be dead. As a result, he will spend the entire night in a coma. All who attempt to target ALIAS will believe him dead and just leave and ALIAS's night action will fail. You cannot target yourself with this ability.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - An ALIAS by any other name..." If ALIAS is dead and was not lynched, you will learn the name of ALIAS's killer.

Additionally, if you are killed, only Romeo will die. However, at the end of the following phase, Juliet will have learned of this and kill herself to be with her love. As a result, your death is effectively delayed one phase. If it is day, you can target yourself with your day ability during this grace period.

You are allied with the Red Planeswalkers. You win if the White Planeswalkers and the Blue Planeswalkers are eliminated and at least one member of your faction is alive.

Ah, this role. I love roles like this, they provide such a potential for mindfuckery. However, to balance out that potential, I tried to make the roles a bit worse. Jailer was good, but I honestly don't think Coroner was that relevant. Yeah, theoretically, you could use it to maybe narrow down someone's faction if you're sure they didn't rand or guess kill nights. But let's be honest: 3 of the factions had the alliances of most players figured out around Day 2 or Night 3, and this ability wouldn't be usable on Day 1 (no kills N0), so it would come into play at the earliest on Night 3. As a reminder, this game ended on Day 4 and would have gone on to, like, Day 5.

Also it's worth noting that if this role was the last on its team, it couldn't win in its "bonus phase." This was intended to give the role an extra vote or use of its abilities beyond death. I may have told Rein something different at some point, and if you feel misled, again, I apologize.

Dear The Doors,

You are Chandra Nalaar, Pyromancer.

200px-Chandra.jpg

Your interests include: Fire, fire, and more fire. You are impulsive, passionate, and short-tempered. Kind of like fire. Funny enough, you've had three versions printed, and none of them have been constructed playable. Then again, between Nicol Bolas and Sarkhan Vol, that seems to be par for the course for red walkers (Koth laughs).

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Setting everything near ALIAS1 and ALIAS2 on fire." Since fucking everything is on fire and all landmarks are burnt to a crisp, anyone targeting ALIAS1 will accidentally target ALIAS2 and vice versa. However, killers are a bit more shrewd than that (they brought a map!) and will target the correct person.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Fire never dies alone, ALIAS." If you die the following night, ALIAS will die alongside you.

You are allied with the Red Planeswalkers. You win if the White Planeswalkers and the Blue Planeswalkers are eliminated and at least one member of your faction is alive.

Drivers aren't that great when they can't redirect kills, although it could redirect protection. I felt the driver part of this role was weak enough to counteract Romeo and Juliet's strength.

However, I very much regret the day part. This really screwed Raymond out of a win because it made him susceptible to hooks and the target was a total rand, so sorry for that. Mostly, I'm annoyed because this was a bonus kill in multifaction even if it was basically a bomb, and kills are really the most powerful role in mafia.

Dear Ramones,

You are The Joker, Ace of Knaves.

joker2.jpg

You are Batman's archnemesis, the Clown Prince of Chaos. Your backstories vary from writer to writer (lolcomics), but there is usually one constant: You had one bad day, your entire skin got fucked up, and you completely lost it. Now, you want to prove that it can happen to anyone.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Tomorrow will be a bad day for ALIAS." In this PM, include four letters. If ALIAS posts those four letters in succession, be it on this forum or the SF thread (not including punctuation/whitespace), his vote will count for -1 instead of whatever it would have. Note that anything bolded for the purpose of a lynch vote will not count.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Requesting ALIAS's file." You will get Harley Quinn to get ALIAS's file from Arkham Asylum, which happens to be his entire role PM.

And finally. The obvious day inspect...

But let's talk about the night ability. I like censor roles and that sort of thing, but obviously an outright kill would be stupid. So a vote reduction seemed pertinent. Also note that this ability, like the PR, also applied to posts made in this thread. Joker wouldn't be informed if his ability had successfully reduced someone's vote so it couldn't really be used to gather information. Unfortunately, no one ever really talked in this thread and preferred to communicate via IRC or the like. I guess no one ever had information they felt pertinent to share without outing their alias?

I added the last clause because I didn't want them to just choose vote and become a vote negator+ (although that didn't stop them from just choosing "vote" anyway).

It’s worth noting that Red had almost nothing in the way of day power. They had an extra vote if Romeo/Juliet got nightkilled and maybe a censor. This puts them in front of only blue, I think.

Also, note that Red has the least protection from night actions. They had a jailer, but that hooks its target so its use is questionable. They also had a driver, but that would require great prediction. So most of their perceived power is me trying to compensate for that, but I don’t think it was overpowering. I mean, after all, two of them did die Night 1...

Green

The land gives up little, but we are masters of persuasion.

Green is the color of instinct, nature, and life. Your enemies are Black, the color of individualism, power, and death, and Blue, the color of knowledge, thinking, and technology.

At your best, you are instinctual and growth-centered. At your worst, you are vicious and unthinking.

Your faction is:

StSS, alias Duran Duran is Tarzan.

Mysterio, alias Cheap Trick is Garruk Wildspeaker.

Snike, alias Mama Cass is Ted Kaczynski.

You can kill on Nights 2, 4, 6, and 7. To perform the kill, the leader (the highest living member on the list) responds to this thread with "Night X - Sending TEAMMATE to kill USER." Lower users on the list can send in an order, but it will be overwritten if someone higher sends in an action.

Dear Duran Duran,

You are Tarzan, King of Apes.

Tarzan.jpg

King of the jungle, baby! You were raised by apes because your parents died, and years later you met the American, Jane Porter, who you fell in love with and married. However, upon moving back to civilization, you realized they were all hypocrites and moved back to the jungle with your family.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Exposing ALIAS's hypocrisy." You will make a scene about ALIAS, causing everyone to ignore his vote the following day.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Ransacking ALIAS." You will send your family of apes to ransack ALIAS's house and find his role PM.

You are allied with the Green Planeswalkers. You win if the Blue Planeswalkers and the Black Planeswalkers are eliminated and at least one member of your faction is alive.

Vote Negate is kind of like a mayor, only it can be hooked or redirected. I felt this was fair, although the fact that it is usually just better than Yossarian’s Day ability felt wrong.

Day inspect should be obvious by now.

Dear Cheap Trick,

You are Garruk Wildspeaker, Wild Son.

200px-Garruk1.jpg

When you were twelve, the local Sheriff tried to conscript you into the army. Your father told you to run, and so you did. Years later, you came out of the forest and rampaged through town, demanding to see your father. When you learned he had been dead for years, you killed the Sheriff, took his helmet as your own, and returned to the wild.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Guarding ALIAS." You and your beasts will stand around ALIAS looking menacing, warding off any killers.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Sending a BEAST at ALIAS." You may choose from one of the following BEASTs:

Tarmogoyf - The mighty Tarmogoyf takes no shit from anyone, preventing ALIAS from performing their day action.

Wild Mongrel - ALIAS will be protected from all day actions.

Wild Nacatl - ALIAS will be unable to post for the following day/night cycle.

Basking Rootwalla - Any actions targeting ALIAS will target you instead.

Vengevine - You will make an extra, secret vote for ALIAS.

You may only send a given BEAST once per game.

You are allied with the Green Planeswalkers. You win if the Blue Planeswalkers and the Black Planeswalkers are eliminated and at least one member of your faction is alive.

Night doc is as expected.

His JoAT is a Hook, Safeguard, Silence, Martyr, and Secret Vote. Obviously, the Martyr and Hook had questionable use during the day, but due to the quick pace of the game I think the Silence and Secret Vote were more than enough.

Dear Mama Cass,

You are Ted Kaczynski, Unabomber.

unabomber.gif

You are a primitivist anarchist that engaged in a mail bombing campaign that lasted nearly two decades, only getting caught when your brother recognized your writing style in the manifesto you released and turned you in. You believe that technology is eroding human freedom.

At night, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Mailbombing ALIAS." When ALIAS attempts to leave their house that night, their mailbox will explode, and they will instead spend the night nursing their wounds.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Causing technology to malfunction". Anyone who does not vote for the lynchee during the day will be unable to be protected the following night (i.e. no doctors etc.). You cannot use this ability on consecutive day phases.

Hook, yet another typical ability that has the potential to be very powerful. In retrospect, I think giving this faction a hook may have been a bad idea, since I felt there were too many hooks and redirects going on as it were... Maybe a tracker or watcher, but I really didn’t want those in this game.

And finally, the day ability that made Green very good. Note that this is actually worded a bit poorly. This only means if you target that person initially it will fail, if the doctor is redirected somehow, the protection will go through. Note that this also didn’t stop passive abilities or allow you to target kidnapped people. So in reality this only stopped Yossarian and Caulder and only if Green won the lynch and Blue/Black didn’t side with them for whatever reason. Which is good, and perhaps a bit too win-more. But oh well.

Eldrazi

The emergence of the Eldrazi isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you've already lived a fulfilling and complete life without regrets.

Dear Billy Joel,

You are Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.

stf88_emrakulConcept.jpg

Long ago, you were drawn to Zendikar and imprisoned there. Thousands of years later, you have been freed, and now rampage across the world, devouring everything in sight. The old planeswalkers couldn't handle you, and thanks to the events of the Time Spiral, the power of Planeswalkers are vastly reduced. As a result, you really don't care who wins or loses. You're just a hungry Tentacruel-wannabe and want to escape. But these gnats keep buzzing, and it's starting to get annoying.

On odd nights, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Annihilating ALIAS." Your mere presence will shatter ALIAS's mind, reducing him to a vegetable state, effectively killing him.

On even nights, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Night X - Preparing to consume ALIAS." You will slowly move over to ALIAS. If ALIAS is lynched the following day, you will devour him, hiding his role PM from everyone but you and counting as a kill by you towards your win condition.

During the day, you may send Paperblade and Kay a PM entitled "Day X - Sending the brood at ALIAS." You will send your brood lineage to scout ALIAS, obtaining his whole role PM.

Additionally, since you are so powerful and the denizens of Zendikar have forgotten what you really are, you have an alternate alias: The Kinks. As long as both of your aliases are alive, you have the following abilities:

Your actions cannot be redirected or hooked unless both of your aliases are redirected or hooked.

You may post and vote with both aliases, for different or the same people.

Inspections targeting either alias will fail.

You are allied with yourself. You win if you kill at least one player from three different factions.

Ah, the neutral. My other favorite role.

This role was designed to keep the game political and make it less likely that a faction won off of a crazy chain of events ending the game on Day 2.

To that end, he was basically me trying to get an entire faction into one role. However note that since he was neutral and not technically a faction, his victory would NOT cause the game to end.

More kills needed would make it impossible for him to win, while less would make it much too easy.

He had a kill every odd night, which gave him the best kill nights in the game. He could predict lynches, which encouraged him to play the social game. If you know who wants who lynched tomorrow, you can pick a side and throw your vote in with them to advance your own game. Two votes, actually, since he had an alt.

... The janitor bit was mostly because I thought it was cool.

Anyway, the inspection-proof nature was to make it more difficult for people to piece together what was going on with him, so that he could talk to people on his own terms and maybe bluff a bit.

Making him resistant to hooks and redirects (although his kill couldn’t be redirected anyway) was obvious, I think. Having twice as many aliases meant he was twice as susceptible to randtargets, so he needed a way to fight back. I decided that with the death of his second account he should have a slight drawback, so he lost the inspection-proof. He also lost the hook/redirect resistance as he no longer had multiple aliases to be randed.

Player Analysis will come later-ish.

Edited by Paperblade

• 2 months later...

The final part, modified slightly from what I said in IRC (generally just a bit more detail)

eclipse: Played well and did pretty much everything she should have even though I disagree that my game was imbalanced

Kaoz: Played well other than not being able to read rules, v. active

Domu: Was pretty inactive (probably due to timezone) but followed orders well enough

Kevin: Tried to blackmail a potential ally and got fucked for it. Got his teammate killed because he let other people tell him what to do.

Obviam: inactive, only thing he did was trick Hika into giving him his alias (which was hilarious)

Rothene: very talkative but was randed N1 due to Kevin being a bad teammate

Shinori: inactive

Proto: talked to a few people early on then went inactive

Haze: Lied to Rein because he suspected Rein would betray him, only person to realize that Red and Blue were being tools

Rein: Put all his eggs in one basket and got used by Snike all game even when it was apparent Snike had no intention to team with him

Hika: idk, inactive?

Sho: Randed N1, was talkative iirc

Psych: Randed N1 but made the best move by being "definitely not Psych" according to eclipse

Snike: game MVP

StSS: followed orders

Mysterio: followed orders and made the decision to be an asshole

Raymond: Played well but had bad luck

Awards

Best White: eclipse

Best Blue: Rothene

Best Black: Haze

Best Red: Psych

Best Green: Snike

MVP: Snike

Worst Luck: 2/3 of Red's aliases dying on N1 and the third being kidnapped

Best Luck: Obviam greeting Hika as a random living alias during like D2 and it happening to be Hika's

Worst Move: Kevin trying to blackmail eclipse's team (?)

Best Move: Snike telling Rein that Psych told eclipse all of Red's info

Best Post: eclipse singing

Edited by Paperblade