Anyone have any experience with Pandora's Tower?

Jotari

I just saw a review that praises the game quite highly but expressed the fact that it's a polarizing experience. Would like to get some more opinions before investing in it. So if you've played it, what did you think of it?

Oh and here's a link to the review in question in case you want to hear more thoughts on the matter.

Pandora's Tower is a pretty damn good game, I only played with the Wiimote, so I'm not sure how the other methods work.

It gets jarring in the beginning trying to learn everything what with the chain gimmick and all that, meaning you will be using that chain... A LOT.

The angling of the camera gets a little odd at times, but nothing hampering, the combat is simple enough, and you upgrade your weapons by forging.

Also the game is basically one dungeon, but it's comprised of multiple floors, 13 to be exact.

My likes: The combat, the chain mechanic, weapon upgrading, taking care of Elena(giving her clothes and jewlery and seeing the difference was quite satisfying), the atmosphere, the boss fights, the difficulty, the day and night cycles, being able to customize your home base.

My dislikes: The chain mechanic, the boss fights, the camera at times, getting those materials for forging, having to farm certain items at certain times of day, certain enemies were kind of wtf, oh and the money, the money... prices from the merchant are... heh yeah

I'm neutral about: bringing the meat for Elena, sometimes it's no big deal, and other times, you have to stop training, stop farming, exit out of long floor that was just too confusing to get through, to go back home, feed Elena the meat, then go back and do all that again, you get checkpoints, but this is when you don't have them.

Overall I liked Pandora's Tower very much, as far as to call it one of, it not my favorite Wii game, I don't think you could go wrong with it, but that's just me.

Edited by Soledai

I like it a lot and it is a really good game and a really good price too, I bought mine right after it came out for about $25.00 and you can probably get it cheaper now. It was one of the operation Rainfall games that fans begged Nintendo to bring to the U.S.A and it is I would say the worst of the 3, Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story being the other 2 games. Soledai summed up the game very well and I would recommend it and it is a great Wii game.

I played it. Personally, I loved it and would heartily recommend it but I can see why your review described it as 'polarising'. I'd say the best things about it are the light-touch world building, the gradual evolution of the story and the boss fights. There are a few cutscenes at the start, middle and end but they don't show you much about the world - that happens from the scraps of paper you find in the dungeons. As you pick them up, your understanding of the story and the situation you're in start to develop and evolve. If you're paying attention, you'll have a crashing realisation about 4 hours before the story just tells you - an experience I found incredibly exciting. As for the bosses, it's a bit hard to explain why they're so good. I suppose, because the game is designed so that an experienced gamer will not die and restart the fight, it evolves organically, as you learn the boss's patterns and figure out their weaknesses like a puzzle.

As for the flipside, I probably wouldn't describe Pandora's Tower as an exciting game and I'd use the word 'fun' with caution. It's also pretty dark. I'm not talking about surly characters or 'gritty' drama here, I'm talking body horror curses, PTSD, coping with loss etc. I'm, frankly, staggered that The Last Story got a 15+ rating and Pandora's Tower only got a 12+. There's also a very narrow narrative focus, which might turn you off - there are only 5 extant characters. All in all, I absolutely love it but I must concede it's not as good as the other two Rainfall games (Xenoblade and The Last Story).

TL;DR: Pandora's Tower is a cerebral game. If you want cathartic action or an epic story then go somewhere else. If you're ready to take your time to explore the world, tackle the puzzles and work around some interesting obstacles then I think you're in for an incredible journey.

I like it a lot and it is a really good game and a really good price too, I bought mine right after it came out for about $25.00 and you can probably get it cheaper now. It was one of the operation Rainfall games that fans begged Nintendo to bring to the U.S.A and it is I would say the worst of the 3, Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story being the other 2 games. Soledai summed up the game very well and I would recommend it and it is a great Wii game.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be changing in price where I'm from, sitting steadily at €40.00. It if was 25 then I would have bought it a long time ago. I'm also dissapointed to hear it's the worst of the three rainfall games as I wasn't particularly impressed by The Last Story.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to this party but I'm still just trying to find a darn copy, I don't have access to online shopping currently though so that may be my issue. Was it gamestop exclusive like Xenoblade?

I wish to complete the trinity and this game looks fun.